David Lunn Jr.

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
NCSTATEHENS09
UD Class: 1900

David Lunn Jr.

Post by NCSTATEHENS09 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:03 am

Interesting article about former Hen David Lunn Jr.
https://theundefeated.com/features/from ... ng-baller/

Seems to blame Delaware being a party school as to Lunns awakening to heroin use. While I disagree and Heroin was his and his only decision.....makes you wonder if this whole top party school thing has been a reason for our decline in athletic prowess?
GO HENS!!
GO WOLFPACK!!
GO FALCONS!!
GO FLYERS!!
GO PHILLIES!!

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Re: David Lunn Jr.

Post by wacko4flacco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:29 am

Terribly sad story, and unfortunately, not at all uncommon.

Yes, the individual is responsible for himself.

UD would do well to shed the party animal image. Alcohol and drugs lead to more , harder fixes. Then addiction. Anyone snorting coke up their nose or injecting heroin must realize addiction is likely, but they may not even live past the first time. Then the person devolves into living, stealing, begging for the fix.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:56 am

Delaware has worked ad infinitim to shed its image as a party school. Personal responsibility has to come in somewhere.

hoopster
UD Class: 1993

Post by hoopster » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:14 am

Very said to read about how David Lunn's life just spiraled out of control. I wish nothing but peace and love for his family.
GO BIG BLUE!

gonzo
UD Class: 2005

Post by gonzo » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am

Sad story.

Also sad to see the author try to loop Delaware in as part of the problem. This is such a lazy piece of writing - "Delaware may not have been known as a basketball powerhouse, but it was frequently rated as one of the nation’s top party schools. Apparently, Lunn did his part to hold up the school’s party image."

Delaware is a party school but Heroin and Fentyyl are not party drugs. Beer and weed, absolutely, but to try and loop Delaware's image as a party school into the sad death of a young man is irresponsible. This is an insult to Lunn and Delaware. The real story here should focus on his upbringing in inner-city Baltimore, his father's own addiction(which some studies think is hereditary) and to an even deeper extent did his injuries and prescription pain medication lead to opioid addiction.
Last edited by gonzo on Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stats don't lie

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am

gonzo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am
Sad story.

Also sad to see the author try to loop Delaware in as part of the problem. This is such a lazy piece of writing - "Delaware may not have been known as a basketball powerhouse, but it was frequently rated as one of the nation’s top party schools. Apparently, Lunn did his part to hold up the school’s party image."

Delaware is a party school but Heroin and Fentyyl are not party drugs. Beer and weed, absolutely, but to try and loop Delaware's image as a party school into the sad death of a young man is irresponsible. This is an insult to Lunn and Delaware. The real story here should focus on his upbringing in inner-city Baltimore, his father's own addiction(which some studies think is hereditary) and to an even deeper extent did his injuries and prescription pain medication an opioid addiction.
100% agree gonzo. The Delaware "party school" image is no more than a bit piece in this sad, sad tragedy.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Tue Jan 14, 2020 12:33 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:53 am
gonzo wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:40 am
Sad story.

Delaware is a party school but Heroin and Fentyyl are not party drugs. Beer and weed, absolutely, but to try and loop Delaware's image as a party school into the sad death of a young man is irresponsible. This is an insult to Lunn and Delaware. The real story here should focus on his upbringing in inner-city Baltimore, his father's own addiction(which some studies think is hereditary) and to an even deeper extent did his injuries and prescription pain medication an opioid addiction.
100% agree gonzo. The Delaware "party school" image is no more than a bit piece in this sad, sad tragedy.
Yup, my thoughts exactly Gonzo and 79.

NYCHENS2009
UD Class: 2009

Post by NYCHENS2009 » Wed Jan 15, 2020 1:11 am

I think you’re all twisting this. D was a friend of mine and was the most popular person on campus. He drank and smoked (I guess according to the article, never saw him do it,) but he was never on “hard drugs.” This is a tragedy and there a lot of ppl I grew up with who didn’t drink in HS bc of family issues that got sucked into the college party culture at UD and a million other schools. My take away from the article is that if it can happen to someone who had the whole world at their fingertips it can happen to anyone. And it can happen to ppl in their 30s who have had their **** together for the majority of their life. These opioids are whole different ball game now. There are a lot of things to take from this article, an “attack” on UDs reputation is not one that registered for me

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Jan 15, 2020 5:10 am

Well said 2009. Sorry for the loss. Sad indeed.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen » Wed Jan 15, 2020 11:39 am

[quote=wacko4flacco post_id=370231 time=1579004946 user_id=26152]
Terribly sad story, and unfortunately, not at all uncommon.

Yes, the individual is responsible for himself.

UD would do well to shed the party animal image. Alcohol and drugs lead to more , harder fixes. Then addiction. Anyone snorting coke up their nose or injecting heroin must realize addiction is likely, but they may not even live past the first time. Then the person devolves into living, stealing, begging for the fix.
[/quote]

I'm still amazed that UD became a party school. During my admittedly long ago tenure (68 to 72), it seemed that many in staters were from Brandywine, Mt. Pleasant, Newakr and Concord and all went home on weekends. Things were quite dull on campus after FB season.