Close Games

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Re: Close Games

Post by darthdave » Fri Feb 14, 2020 3:48 pm

They also are getting Murphy back who is their best big. Lack of post play is their Achilles

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:17 pm

UD '01 grad wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:54 am
Another close victory, though not as close as those cited above. ... Again, these even out over time, so you take the fortune when it comes.

To that end, KenPom has Delaware as the 7th luckiest team in Division I this year.

https://kenpom.com/
Don't want to be on the losing end of a close post-season game. kenpom.com is all wet. Good teams earn their wins and show what they are made of in the clutch.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 pm

UDPat wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:48 am
Dave,

I do agree concerning the defense, was surprised we didn't go back to the zone a little in the 2nd half. I thought it slowed Elon down a little in the 1st half.

Someone asked why Painter played only 21 minutes??? Easy to answer, His defense is way below average. Twice early he didn't rotate and Elon got easy buckets. This is not me being negative but this is what it will take for him to become a more complete player.

The W&M game is beyond big. I feel a win just about clinches a top 3 finish.

One other observation, I think we found our go to guy!!!!!!!!
Is Goss any better on defense than Painter?

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:23 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:31 am
FYI- UD#186 our opponents ranking now:

top 100-
Villanova #28

top 100s-
Hof-#123, C of c#140, NE#143, NE#143, S. Ill#164, Tow#171, UAB#190, USTA#191, St, Fran#196

top 200s-
W&M#200, Lafaay#206, GW#226, Drex#227, Oak#245, LIU#250, Columb#281, JMU#282, Elon#293

top300s-
UNCW#317,Md ES#349, DSU#350

I'm not trying to be "debbie Downer"- just a reality check. I'm loving the exciting games, but with a touch of reality. I'd like to see a better OOC schedule next season. Ain't no reason we can't handle it with everybody back.

Still happy for our guys.

I hoping we roll into the CAA title. I won't miss a game!
Gee, how did UD manage to defeat (including on the road) those CAA teams ranked higher? Real men of genius calculate those rankings. :roll:
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:26 pm

UDPat wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 12:50 pm
Hen90 wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 10:50 am
UDPat wrote:

Someone asked why Painter played only 21 minutes??? Easy to answer, His defense is way below average. Twice early he didn't rotate and Elon got easy buckets. This is not me being negative but this is what it will take for him to become a more complete player.
Pat, I was the one that asked that question. I agree with you that Painter has some work to do on defense and does sometimes find himself out of position. I was watching both him and Goss closely on defense yesterday. While Goss may play “smarter” on defense, he gets beat just as often due to a lack of lateral quickness. The big difference, is the match up advantage Painter provides on offense against CAA squads that have trouble with his physicality. Elon is one of those teams and William and Mary is not.

I also agree with Dave that we’ll only win the CAA tourney if the whole team tightens up their defense.

And, as I typed that last sentence, it occurred to me, this is a great problem to have! We’re in contention and have a really promising team now! It’s been a while and I am really enjoying this ride.

Good stuff, yes they both lack lateral quickness. I have been a a Goss supporter, but clearly Painter is the guy we need to win a title.

I guess what I have found funny is the late love for Cushing lately( really happy for the kid), yet Goss has really had a solid(not spectacular) season yet get treated like He has the plague. I know why that is but everyone wants a kinder and gentler UDPat. Problem with that is it deprives folks of knowledge, my knowledge!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It was never a question of Cushing playing more than Goss, just that Cushings deserves playing time and especially over your boy Novakovich.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:37 pm

darthdave wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:38 am
Because our defense is not very good. Whether its due to depth or ability, we do not play an aggressive defense...more a bend/dont break style. Not complaining as we have won 7 in a row but it puts the team in too many games like last night. Just looking at this in a realistic light....not sure what the answer is. You cant change the makeup of the team so perhaps a light press to force the other team into their offense sooner, or traps, different zones, etc.

My opinion for us to win the CAA, the defense needs to pick up.
darthdave, how much of UD's poor defense should be on the teaching and game adjustments?

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Fri Feb 14, 2020 9:02 pm

speaking about minutes- Darling is playing 40 a game every night,and so far I guess it hasn't bothered his production. Pretty cool!

another thought- I've noticed that Cushing whom I'm happy has hit the floor recently and is a quasi part of the bench PT seems to be looking for the 3 and not hitting it at a high % since a few games back when he cam through big time. I'd rather he not look for the 3, but only take it when he's in rhythm as the clock is running down. He is quite capable in driving strong to the bucket as he did a few games ago. I love his D and his strength under the glass. He may turn out to be the key for us if we have foul trouble with our starting forecourt big men.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Sat Feb 15, 2020 6:03 pm

Hens now 7-1 in games decided by 4 points or less.

William & Mary is 6-0 in those games.

Northeastern is 1-7 in those games.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Feb 15, 2020 7:33 pm

I believe that another factor in UD's problems on Defense is that, given UD's paucity of depth, UD really can't play very aggressively on Defense or key players would be fouling out and it would be tough to win if UD were forced to give much playing time to most of the replacements.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Feb 18, 2020 10:07 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:20 pm
UDPat wrote:
Dave,

I do agree concerning the defense, was surprised we didn't go back to the zone a little in the 2nd half. I thought it slowed Elon down a little in the 1st half.

The W&M game is beyond big. I feel a win just about clinches a top 3 finish.

One other observation, I think we found our go to guy!!!!!!!!
Is Goss any better on defense than Painter?
In the Elon game:

I just looked at the stats - Painter scored 13, but the team was -13 when he was on the floor. Goss, on the other hand, scored 4 points but was a plus 15. Painter had 6 rebounds (4 O & 2 D) & Goss had 5 all D. Painter played 21 minutes & Goss 19.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:14 am

Notre Dame now 4-6 in games with margin of 3 or less after 1-point wins over UNC and BC in last week. ... Next up is Wake, recent 2OT slayer of Duke, as Irish make late push toward NCAA tourney bubble.

UD '01 grad

Post by UD '01 grad » Thu Mar 05, 2020 12:17 pm

UD '01 grad wrote:
Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:40 pm
Notre Dame now 4-6 in games with margin of 3 or less after 1-point wins over UNC and BC in last week. ... Next up is Wake, recent 2OT slayer of Duke, as Irish make late push toward NCAA tourney bubble.
Irish 4-7 in close games after crushing loss to Florida State.