Monte

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Monte

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:39 am

https://amp.delawareonline.com/amp/4797 ... ssion=true

Really good article from Tres on Monte. Glad to see he’s happy at Temple.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Re: Monte

Post by Hengrad07 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:27 am

So happy to read that Ross is "better & NOT bitter" with the compensation package he received!

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:54 pm

Per the article, Ross earned $566k in 2016? I was under the impression the typical basketball package at UD was around $300-$350K.

I liked Ross as a person...just felt the losing was more than the winning.

The article drops recruit names like Cain with Ross saying he would have had a similar impact as Jameer Nelson did at St Joes. It also mentioned CJ Bryce, who went to UNCW and now is leading scorer at NC State and John Davis, who scored 2000+ pts at Charlotte. Is Tresolini implying that if Ross was given the contract extension, these 3 guys would have been blue hens? I will give him Cain but to suggest Bryce or Davis were locks is a stretch. Bryce had 30+ offers....Davis had Charlotte, Delaware, Seton Hall, OKl St, Penn St, Cincy, to name a few.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Feb 27, 2020 1:02 pm

darthdave wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 12:54 pm
Per the article, Ross earned $566k in 2016? I was under the impression the typical basketball package at UD was around $300-$350K.

I liked Ross as a person...just felt the losing was more than the winning.

The article drops recruit names like Cain with Ross saying he would have had a similar impact as Jameer Nelson did at St Joes. It also mentioned CJ Bryce, who went to UNCW and now is leading scorer at NC State and John Davis, who scored 2000+ pts at Charlotte. Is Tresolini implying that if Ross was given the contract extension, these 3 guys would have been blue hens? I will give him Cain but to suggest Bryce or Davis were locks is a stretch. Bryce had 30+ offers....Davis had Charlotte, Delaware, Seton Hall, OKl St, Penn St, Cincy, to name a few.
Dave,

I will say with 99% confidence from what I know: Cain and Davis would have been Hens. I can't comment on C J Bryce
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Feb 27, 2020 4:25 pm

I’ll say what Tres didn’t or couldn’t or both.

SCOTT DOUGLAS

UDFan57
UD Class: 1982

Post by UDFan57 » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:13 pm

So Scott Douglass was their person who forced the issue on Monte?

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:54 pm

UDFan57 wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:13 pm
The new contract, yes sir. He cut Ziady off at the knees.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:33 pm

Three winning seasons in ten years is a reason for him to be grateful to have had a job.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 am

jd of de wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:54 pm
UDFan57 wrote:
He should have cut him off at the neck!!!!!!! Worse hire in the history of the NCAA.

He's a great person and I have a ton of respect for him. Wish I still kept in touch with Monte as I do with Phil Jr. and Rafferty.

Heck, I'll stir the pot and get everyone in a dither.

A Assistant Coach on a D1 team told me, that for all the odds against him in respect to the lack of TOTAL support from his own athletic department, and I quote: "The University of Delaware should build a stature of that guy for winning the CAA title in 2014" end quote.

Happy Friday!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:52 am

Sorry Pat, I thought he was a good guy too, but that doesn't translate into being spectacular behind the bench. Really liked him as a person (and on the golf course at times). Having Saddler really glossed over some shortcomings as a coach. Can you say "in-bounds pass"? Still happy for the guy and his love for coaching regardless.
Keepin' it real.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:19 am

Henweigh wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:52 am
Sorry Pat, I thought he was a good guy too, but that doesn't translate into being spectacular behind the bench. Really liked him as a person (and on the golf course at times). Having Saddler really glossed over some shortcomings as a coach. Can you say "in-bounds pass"? Still happy for the guy and his love for coaching regardless.
I never said anything about his coaching but since you did...You knew who knew about his short comings???? Monte did.

But please note the opinion of Monte Ross in the basketball community is much much greater than the UD Bball community. That's all.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:00 am

UDPat wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:13 am
jd of de wrote:
Thu Feb 27, 2020 5:54 pm
UDFan57 wrote:
He should have cut him off at the neck!!!!!!! Worse hire in the history of the NCAA.

He's a great person and I have a ton of respect for him. Wish I still kept in touch with Monte as I do with Phil Jr. and Rafferty.

Heck, I'll stir the pot and get everyone in a dither.

A Assistant Coach on a D1 team told me, that for all the odds against him in respect to the lack of TOTAL support from his own athletic department, and I quote: "The University of Delaware should build a stature of that guy for winning the CAA title in 2014" end quote.

Happy Friday!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice job stirring Pat! and I’ll stir some more. The incompetent, yes man, lackey Zaidy, doing his bosses bidding, couldn’t Ross re-sign after the first tourney appearance in 15 years and coming off the best three year run since Brey". Talk about “agendas”. This is the same dope who fired KC two years after a chipper appearance because “we want to go in a different direction.” Didn’t someone on here just criticize similar words?

Those times were the beginning of some dark years for UD’s biggest athletic programs. Just now finally digging out of that mess with MI and still have a ways to go with DR.

Nice article, KT.

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:27 am

Didn't know Ross other than what I saw on the court. That said, he had to be one of the worst college coaches I saw in my lifetime.

NO inbound plays, couldn't break the press He caught lightning in the bottle but lucking out getting that big-time transfer to help win the CAA - without him, they don't come even close! That said, IMHO, Ross never should have been extended the first time...

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 am

hens4life wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:27 am
Didn't know Ross other than what I saw on the court. That said, he had to be one of the worst college coaches I saw in my lifetime.

NO inbound plays, couldn't break the press He caught lightning in the bottle but lucking out getting that big-time transfer to help win the CAA - without him, they don't come even close! That said, IMHO, Ross never should have been extended the first time...
All Coaches including Coach K will tell you better players make better coaches.

62 wins in a 3 year period is not lightening in a bottle, plus 12-6, 13-5 and 16-2 in CAA play. He had issues and no one denies that but you overstate your point but Thanks for playing

hens4life

Post by hens4life » Fri Feb 28, 2020 12:44 pm

UDPat wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:48 am
hens4life wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 9:27 am

All Coaches including Coach K will tell you better players make better coaches.

62 wins in a 3 year period is not lightening in a bottle, plus 12-6, 13-5 and 16-2 in CAA play. He had issues and no one denies that but you overstate your point but Thanks for playing
3 winning season out of 10 (30%) and 132 & 184 (42%) - Ross should be grateful (not bitter) he walked away with over 1 Million dollar payout! #FactsMatter