2020-2021 Season

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Onceahenalwaysahen
Posts: 47
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2016 10:53 am
UD Class: 2002

2020-2021 Season

Post by Onceahenalwaysahen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:40 pm

Long way away but Hens will be and should be picked number 1. Need to limit Turnovers and make FT’s along with open shots.

Next year NCAA’s or disappointment.

User avatar
NCSTATEHENS09
Posts: 1552
Joined: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:13 pm
UD Class: 1900
Location: North East, Maryland
Contact:

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by NCSTATEHENS09 » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:02 pm

Rebound year for Allen I hope. And let's all pray for no transfers out!!!
GO HENS!!
GO WOLFPACK!!
GO FALCONS!!
GO FLYERS!!
GO PHILLIES!!

User avatar
UDHoops
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:59 pm
UD Class: 2023

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by UDHoops » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:18 pm

Hofstra coach said in his post game press conference that we will be the #1 team next year. I’m upset about the loss, but I hope they represent the conference well this March

CapeHen
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:23 pm
UD Class: 2019

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by CapeHen » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:36 pm

NCSTATEHENS09 wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:02 pm
Rebound year for Allen I hope. And let's all pray for no transfers out!!!
I would be very surprised if anyone transferred out. All five starters have either already transferred once or are going to be seniors. So that would be a shock. Outside of McCoy, none of the younger guys got much playing time. Hopefully they all (including McCoy) are excited to play a role on what will be a really good team and won't be looking for another program where they may get more playing time. You never know though! Just gotta hope everyone is happy and enjoying their experience.

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11389
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:20 am

Yep it’ll all come down to whether guys transfer...
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5710
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by jd of de » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:25 am

It’s a very tight group that loves playing together and for each other. Had we won a championship this season maybe someone thinks about transferring. My guess everyone returns and the team mantra is now “unfinished business”.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9055
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:53 am

Next year will be the year to bring it all home. At 22 wins, hard to complain.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by Hens79 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:11 am

Last night was really disappointing. Hopefully next year the team will get an offensive identity and get more of a balanced outside-inside game. With all the talk of the defense needing to lead the way, the offense was lacking in almost all of the losses. That was the case last night. 61 points won’t beat many teams, and surely not Hofstra. And when the Hens go small, like they did a lot against Hofstra in the two loses, they got killed on the boards even by a small Hofstra team. The Hens started off last night dominating on the boards, and then ended up going small and getting killed. And even when they went small, Hofstra’s guards still dominated. The box score looked like the regular season loss not the won.

The team needs to take an even bigger step next year. 22 wins is great, but a another semi loss is the reality in a CAA without any really great teams including 3-7 against the four teams in front of the Hens in the standings. With this years experience and everyone coming back, nothing less than a championship should be the expectation.

Udforever1
Posts: 456
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by Udforever1 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:12 am

Certainly a big year coming up next year, but also a big summer coming up with recruiting. We lose 4 big pieces after next year, so early playing time will be a big selling point.

darthdave
Posts: 3319
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am
UD Class: 1993

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by darthdave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am

The risk of transfer is always there. My post is going with assumption everyone will be back.

We should be pre-season #1 with what returns. The conference looks to take a drop next year with what teams are losing. There will be further losses to transfer, JMU most likely will take a hit and possibly UNCW (coaching changes)

Players out of eligibility
Wm - Knight, Vliet and Barnes
Charleston - Riller, Miller and McManus
Hofstra - Buie, Pemberton and Ray
Towson - Fobbs, Tunstall and Sanders
Northeastern - Roland and Brace

Transfers in :
Towson - Mims 6'6 Long Beach St, Uyaelunmo 7'0 USC
NU - Doherty 6'8 Notre Dame
UD - Gardner 6'3 NC Central


3 of the top 10 scorers return - Darling, Betrand-Towson and Wynter-Drexel
My pre-season 1st team:
Darling
Wynter
Butler
Mutts
Lewis

Areas I would like to see improvement:
Painter - makes a leap similar to Baptiste
Mutts - develops a mid range game
Novakovich - strength
Allen -get healthy and return to earlier form.

The big question to me is...Does MI go to war with Painter, Mutts, Novakovich and Carr as his front court? IF we stay healthy, I am ok with this but next year is THE year and I would hate to see it derail due to a frontcourt issue. I think we are in a very good position to land a grad transfer but not messing up team chemistry.....we have a veteran team returning who will be favorite to win the CAA. Playing in the NCAA tournament is a very attractive sales pitch....a grad transfer big man who wants to win, go dancing and contribute will consider Delaware IMO.

This is the type of guy I have in mind.....not saying there is a chance he ends up at Delaware but someone like him. Immediately eligible next year...has experience and did contribute.
https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/evan-cole/

Looking forward to the off season and seeing what develops.

User avatar
HENJOHN
Posts: 9055
Joined: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:24 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Bear & Ocean View, Delaware

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am

Great stuff Dave. Thanks for posting.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hen90
Posts: 258
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:42 am
UD Class: 1990

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by Hen90 » Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:54 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:15 am
Great stuff Dave. Thanks for posting.
+1

darthdave
Posts: 3319
Joined: Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:31 am
UD Class: 1993

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by darthdave » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:29 am

darthdave wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:55 am
The risk of transfer is always there. My post is going with assumption everyone will be back.

We should be pre-season #1 with what returns. The conference looks to take a drop next year with what teams are losing. There will be further losses to transfer, JMU most likely will take a hit and possibly UNCW (coaching changes)

Players out of eligibility
Wm - Knight, Vliet and Barnes
Charleston - Riller, Miller and McManus
Hofstra - Buie, Pemberton and Ray
Towson - Fobbs, Tunstall and Sanders
Northeastern - Roland and Brace

Transfers in :
Towson - Mims 6'6 Long Beach St, Uyaelunmo 7'0 USC
NU - Doherty 6'8 Notre Dame
UD - Gardner 6'3 NC Central


3 of the top 10 scorers return - Darling, Betrand-Towson and Wynter-Drexel
My pre-season 1st team:
Darling
Wynter
Butler
Mutts
Lewis

Areas I would like to see improvement:
Painter - makes a leap similar to Baptiste
Mutts - develops a mid range game
Novakovich - strength
Allen -get healthy and return to earlier form.

The big question to me is...Does MI go to war with Painter, Mutts, Novakovich and Carr as his front court? IF we stay healthy, I am ok with this but next year is THE year and I would hate to see it derail due to a frontcourt issue. I think we are in a very good position to land a grad transfer but not messing up team chemistry.....we have a veteran team returning who will be favorite to win the CAA. Playing in the NCAA tournament is a very attractive sales pitch....a grad transfer big man who wants to win, go dancing and contribute will consider Delaware IMO.

This is the type of guy I have in mind.....not saying there is a chance he ends up at Delaware but someone like him. Immediately eligible next year...has experience and did contribute.
https://ramblinwreck.com/roster/evan-cole/

Looking forward to the off season and seeing what develops.
One thing I want to add. Due to our backcourt depth. Allen, Anderson, Darling, McCoy, Gardner and to an extent Asamoah and Arletti, we may see a 4 guard lineup at times next year. Big men quality in CAA was weak this year and will be even weaker next year. Hofstra most likely win win the CAA playing 4 guards. We won it back in 13/14 using 4 guards.

No doubt Painter/Mutts will start but instead of worrying about who spells both of them, we may see MI sub in a 4th guard. If that is the case, having another big may not be needed.

UDPat
Posts: 2259
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by UDPat » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:34 am

Good stuff Dave but Ray from Hoffy is a junior.

In staying in the real world as far as our 1 scholly here is what I'd do. Assuming the male version of EDD doesn't fall in our laps. That's NOT gonna happen

1) I'd use it on a sit out transfer who would be expected to contribute beginning 21-22. Any position
2) Use on a grad transfer or immediate eligible transfer. Gonna get slammed here, but another Collin Goss type would be a nice addition to add depth to the front court. This team needs pieces, that's all

The 21-22 recruiting season will be huge for the Hens and while it has started, it goes full blown this spring.

Remember the number's I sent you in December: 28/10/6 Do they look pretty good?

Good to see you last night and congrats to your son, He represented us well!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

BlueHenBill
Posts: 6980
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2005 11:30 am

Re: 2020-2021 Season

Post by BlueHenBill » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:35 pm

Elon & maybe Drexel(?) could be contenders next season.

Post Reply