Rate the Bigs

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDPat

Rate the Bigs

Post by UDPat » Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:56 am

The season is over and I am going to ask every one of you to be honest with yourselves in this evaluation.

Since we are at a stand still with sports, let's entertain ourselves.

I am giving everyone 100 units to play. I want you to honestly evaluate Painter vs Goss for the 2019-20 season.

Example: You feel Painter is the next Jesus and Goss is a piece of trash, then you would score Painter 100 Goss 0.
Both equal, 50 for each

I have my number and will post it after I see a view others post. I will explain my numbers when I do

FYI: This was sent to 3-4 posters before he ever stepped on the court. I was told Painter would be 28 min/10 pts/6 rbs a game
FINAL: 20.3/9.3/5.7

Thanks for playing
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

allteamball
UD Class: 1992

Re: Rate the Bigs

Post by allteamball » Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:22 am

P 60
G 40

Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 pm

Pat, I’m not going to answer your question directly because I make it a point on these boards not to say anything that can be construed as a criticism of any of our players. I am a parent of two kids around this age, including one who was a Division 1 record breaking athlete for her school. So I’m a little sensitive about how these things can be perceived by the athletes (and no criticism to you for asking the question, I’m just extra sensitive about these things).

As I’ve said before, I like both players. Goss was a smart, reliable and dependable team player and we owe him a lot.

Let me look forward and tell you why I am excited about what Painter will give us in 2020 / 2021:

Despite some “rust” from a a couple of years of limited game action:

- 2nd in CAA in field goal percentage, 6th in blocked shots, 5th in offensive rebounds and 10th in total rebounds
- In each of these categories, all the players ahead of him averaged more minutes per game
- Several dominating performances: 20 and 10 against Drexel, 23 and 10 against JMU and 15 and 12 against Hofstra (all wins)
- In several of these games, he seemed to either score or draw a foul every time he posted up.

On that last point, I felt like there were a number of times where we didn’t take full advantage of a match up advantage with his physicality and ability to single handedly get opposing players in to foul trouble.

Yes, his defense was lacking at times but improved notably as the season progressed and he was able to shake off the rust. I think Dave’s comparison to Baptist’s big step forward his senior year is an apt comparison.

Colin, if you are reading this, thanks for the significant contribution you made to our program. Best of luck to you as you start your professional life. Based on the way you carried yourself on and off the court, I know you will be very successful in your future endeavors.

Dylan, if you are reading this, we are very excited about the role you will play in bringing us a CAA championship next year!

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 pm

Hen90 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:07 pm
Pat, I’m not going to answer your question directly because I make it a point on these boards not to say anything that can be construed as a criticism of any of our players. I am a parent of two kids around this age, including one who was a Division 1 record breaking athlete for her school. So I’m a little sensitive about how these things can be perceived by the athletes (and no criticism to you for asking the question, I’m just extra sensitive about these things).

As I’ve said before, I like both players. Goss was a smart, reliable and dependable team player and we owe him a lot.

Let me look forward and tell you why I am excited about what Painter will give us in 2020 / 2021:

- 2nd in CAA in field goal percentage, 6th in blocked shots, 5th in offensive rebounds and 10th in total rebounds
- In each of these categories, all the players ahead of him averaged more minutes per game
- Several dominating performances: 20 and 10 against Drexel, 23 and 10 against JMU and 15 and 12 against Hofstra (all wins)
- In several of these games, he seemed to either score or draw a foul every time he posted up.

On that last point, I felt like there were a number of times where we didn’t take full advantage of a match up advantage with his physicality and ability to single handedly get opposing players in to foul trouble.

Yes, his defense was lacking at times but improved notably as the season progressed and he was able to shake off the rust. I think Dave’s comparison to Baptist’s big step forward his senior year is an apt comparison.

Colin, if you are reading this, thanks for the significant contribution you made to our program. Best of luck to you as you start your professional life. Based on the way you carried yourself on and off the court, I know you will be very successful in your future endeavors.

Dylan, if you are reading this, we are very excited about the role you will play in bringing us a CAA championship next year!

Great post, H90...couldn't agree more. Thanks to Colin for representing yourself and UD Basketball well, and here's to a great senior campaign for Dylan. I'd love to see us land a Big grad transfer who can play strong low post defense and rebound, but I also know those 6'9"+ kids just don’t fall off trees. Even if we are unable to secure a transfer, I’m hopeful that between Painter, Mutts, Novakovich, and the freshman Carr, that we’ll have enough low post depth to get us through the season…barring any injuries. Looking forward to an exciting 2020-’21 men’s hoop season at the Bob.

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:46 pm

Hen90 wrote:

Regarding the Baptiste comparison, have to give Pat credit. I believe he mentioned it first..,,although I was thinking it 🤪

If Paintwr can have a similar jump, next year could be historic

bluehenjeff
UD Class: 1985

Post by bluehenjeff » Sun Mar 22, 2020 4:52 pm

UDPat wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 10:56 am
The season is over and I am going to ask every one of you to be honest with yourselves in this evaluation.

Since we are at a stand still with sports, let's entertain ourselves.

I am giving everyone 100 units to play. I want you to honestly evaluate Painter vs Goss for the 2019-20 season.

Example: You feel Painter is the next Jesus and Goss is a piece of trash, then you would score Painter 100 Goss 0.
Both equal, 50 for each

I have my number and will post it after I see a view others post. I will explain my numbers when I do

FYI: This was sent to 3-4 posters before he ever stepped on the court. I was told Painter would be 28 min/10 pts/6 rbs a game
FINAL: 20.3/9.3/5.7

Thanks for playing
painter 60

goss 40

They both brought something to the hens that helped us win. I really liked both of them. Goss really got quite a bit better from last year to this year.

Painter still has a lot of untapped potential. He will be a hell of lot better player next year I think.

I really liked both of them.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:35 am

Painter 70

Goss 30
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:33 am

I'll give them a 50/50. Both played a big part in their own way with this squad getting to this successful season. Colin was part of that 9-2 start which jump-started this team when Dylan couldn't help him out or carry any load. And Dylan came along and filled the role as we were hoping he would, while Colin shifted to more of a supporting role. All parts of the team had roles which led to 22 wins. All important, and not always about the numbers.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon Mar 23, 2020 8:39 am

Painter 70 and Goss 30.

I continue to believe Painter was not used as effectively as possible because of the obsession with his defense. For him to average only 20 minutes a game was ridiculous. I also think he can be an 80+ next year. If he is, with what else is around him, the Hens should win the CAA. It is more than time to get past a first round CAA tourney win.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Mon Mar 23, 2020 9:22 am

They DID get past the first round this year. But hey, you didn't blame it on any political party. There's some growth. :P

It's 60/40 for Dyan from me.
Keepin' it real.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:39 am

finpxz1 wrote:
Sat Mar 21, 2020 1:34 pm
Hen90 wrote:

Great post, H90...couldn't agree more. Thanks to Colin for representing yourself and UD Basketball well, and here's to a great senior campaign for Dylan. I'd love to see us land a Big grad transfer who can play strong low post defense and rebound, but I also know those 6'9"+ kids just don’t fall off trees. Even if we are unable to secure a transfer, I’m hopeful that between Painter, Mutts, Novakovich, and the freshman Carr, that we’ll have enough low post depth to get us through the season…barring any injuries. Looking forward to an exciting 2020-’21 men’s hoop season at the Bob.
Gentlemen,

While I may point out weaknesses of players, if that is taken as criticism, so be it. Part of the problem with the world today.

My goal was to see if fans could be honest with themselves. For the most part they have. I believe most were a little disappointed in or expected a lot more from Painter. I was NOT one of those. For the reasons of rust and inactivity that I pointed out well before the season started.
Also, I have said and expect a much improved Painter for his senior season.

Oh my numbers: 58/42 Painter.

If He does improve esp defensively, This team will be scary. I'd be happy with another Goss type as a 1 year grad transfer to provide depth. But if there is a stud, of course..... :roll: :roll:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm

Painter was an average CAA big from where I sat. Goss was an average CAA big backup. I expect an increase in production from Dylan on both ends of the court this season and thank Goss for his contribution. Using your formula I'll go 70-30.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 pm

Henzone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm
Painter was an average CAA big from where I sat. Goss was an average CAA big backup. I expect an increase in production from Dylan on both ends of the court this season and thank Goss for his contribution. Using your formula I'll go 70-30.
it's a rare day I agree with you, but we are about on the same page in this assessment # .

I hope Painter can develop a smarter mindset on the court next season and cut our his mistake prone fouls both O and D. We need 28-30 minutes of him on the court. If we don't sign a solid backup at 5, MI can play around with different lineups which might be quite successful if employed properly.

I thank Goss for his play this past season. It was obvious when he stepped on the court that he was a fill in backup 5, but he improved his offensive production. Unfortunately, he lacked physical toughness and good strong hands.

Man- this is a bummer with no sports :( , but a necessity for the future of our country. We all have to be unselfish and maintain patience
** -not any political statement in my meaning!

stay well my friends- Dos Equis :wink:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:24 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 pm
Henzone wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 1:01 pm
it's a rare day I agree with you, but we are about on the same page in this assessment # .

I hope Painter can develop a smarter mindset on the court next season and cut our his mistake prone fouls both O and D. We need 28-30 minutes of him on the court. If we don't sign a solid backup at 5, MI can play around with different lineups which might be quite successful if employed properly.

I thank Goss for his play this past season. It was obvious when he stepped on the court that he was a fill in backup 5, but he improved his offensive production. Unfortunately, he lacked physical toughness and good strong hands.

Man- this is a bummer with no sports :( , but a necessity for the future of our country. We all have to be unselfish and maintain patience
** -not any political statement in my meaning!

stay well my friends- Dos Equis :wink:
+ to both of these posts...hoping we see a significant step up in production out of Painter next year, and also hoping we are able to land a big grad transfer who can help provide solid low post defense and rebounding coming in off the bench. I'd prefer someone a bit more physical than Goss, but will take whatever we can get...keeping my fingers crossed.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Wed Mar 25, 2020 8:14 am

tenn hen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 4:55 pm

I'm fairly certain that it's not a mindset. It's more about not having played for several months...the rust that UDPat told us all we should expect.
Keepin' it real.