Thursday at 7pm with Martin

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.

finpxz1

Re: Thursday at 7pm with Martin

Post by finpxz1 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:29 pm

Good job by Coach Ingelsby...looking forward to hearing what he has to say. Already submitted my questions.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:25 pm

Not terribly insightful tonight, and there were some technical issues midway through, but it was good to listen to Coach Ingelsby talk hoops. Some of the key takeaways I heard were…

Keeping in touch with the team via texts, phone calls, and Zoom. Primary focus has been ensuring the kids are healthy and meeting all their school obligations.

Transfers (in and out) are always a possibility. Coach did express some frustrations with kids who transfer for the wrong reasons. If you aren’t getting playing time, he’ll help you transfer. But some kids get a commitment and significant playing time, and they still want more (he didn’t say it directly, but I’m assuming he was referring to Horton and Daly)

He talked about both incoming freshmen as being skilled shooters and “gym rats”. Excited to have both Carr and Arletti to join the program next season.

Scheduling is always a challenge at the Mid-Major level. They have 13 non-conference games to fill. As of now, they have 5 home game commitments from 2-year home and homes (I’m assuming Lafayette, Saint Francis, GW, LIU and DSU), and they are working on securing another 2 or 3 home games. Also looking at another tournament with what he called “some really good teams”. They have also been in conversations with a couple of Big Ten and ACC teams. I’d personally love to see them challenge this group a bit more next season with at least 3 or 4 higher level games.

He feels good about where the program is after year 4...he actually called it year 3 because his first year was like year 0 with all the issues we had at the time and limited players. Praised the administration for the support (Chrissi and President Assanis).
Last edited by finpxz1 on Fri Apr 03, 2020 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:42 am

Good summary. Thanks for sharing.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:57 am

Kudos to MI for doing this but it would have been nice to have it a little more meat although I understand he can only say so much.

He mentioned 5 home games with 1 of them being DSU. I was under the impression this series was being played at the 87ers arena moving forward with each team rotating as the "home" team. If so, its not really a home game IMO and we are looking at 4 true home games so far.

I had submitted a few questions that were not answered. I knew I was asking things that probably could not be answered but cant get a hit without swinging.

What is the status of buy games? Buy games can be a way to increase home games....has the admin considered this investment?

Would you consider a 2 for 1 with a P5 school?

What would you ask the admin for to make this program the flagship in the CAA?

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 1:40 pm

That was my perspective, as well. The session wasn’t overly informative, but it was good to be thinking and talking about basketball again. Regarding 2 for 1's, in my opinion, mid-majors have to do that and should. Especially when we have a team next year that potentially would have a chance to compete with some of the big boys. Playing a few games against Big 10, ACC, Big East teams can only help us when we have to go on the road in the CAA, as well as conference tournament time. And if 2 for 1’s is the only way to get some of them to play us, so be it.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:07 pm

Fin, don’t think it will be St Francis as we just completed the second year of that one. Could just possibly be talking about the D2/D3 we open up with every year like JD mentioned in the other thread.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:58 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 2:07 pm
Fin, don’t think it will be St Francis as we just completed the second year of that one. Could just possibly be talking about the D2/D3 we open up with every year like JD mentioned in the other thread.
Makes sense...if we have a non-Division I on the schedule, I'd prefer it be a school with local ties...West Chester, Goldey-Beacom, Wilmington, Wesley, etc.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:23 pm

Any disussion, at least in a general sense, about the possibility of tranfers this year and recruiting for the 2021 class?

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:52 pm

He mentioned that they are constantly monitoring the transfer portal, but no details in terms of specif needs they are looking to fill via transfer. I don't recall any comments relative to the 2021 recruiting class. Just how excited he was about the 2 freshmen commits we have coming in this season.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:47 pm

MI said 2021 is a important class for the program.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:08 am

jd of de wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:47 pm
Oh, right...he did refer to the fact that we’ll be losing 4 seniors after next season. Really hope we are able to maintain a level of play after 2021. The last time we had a really strong group of seniors and won the CAA, the next few years were disastrous as we were not able to replace people like Saddler, Usher, and Baptiste.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Sun Apr 05, 2020 10:26 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 6:23 pm
Any disussion, at least in a general sense, about the possibility of tranfers this year and recruiting for the 2021 class?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=odSaO-8yNDU

Go to the 21:30 mark.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Mon Apr 06, 2020 7:33 am

finpxz1 wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:08 am
jd of de wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:47 pm
Oh, right...he did refer to the fact that we’ll be losing 4 seniors after next season. Really hope we are able to maintain a level of play after 2021. The last time we had a really strong group of seniors and won the CAA, the next few years were disastrous as we were not able to replace people like Saddler, Usher, and Baptiste.
Take comfort Fin in the fact the classes are becoming more balanced.

Jr & Srs after Saddler, Usher, Threatt & Baptiste left
Kyle Anderson ... Sr
Marvin King-Davis ... RJr

Jr & Sr after Allen, Anderson, Darling & Painter leave
Justyn Mutts ... RSr
Reggie Gardner ... Sr
Johnny McCoy ... Jr
Ebby Asamoah ... Jr
Aleks Novakovich ... RJr