Mutts

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
BlueHenBill

Re: Mutts

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:33 am

DCHen97 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:04 am
If I'm a kid growing up living the game of basketball, worked my butt off in school and on the court and now have an opportunity to play meaningful conference games at Cameron Indoor, the Carrier Dome, Dean Smith Center and in South Bend for two years, and get a grad degree? NBA prospects or not, that's a lot to leave on the table to try to win a mid-major conference championship.
DCHen97, Mutts could have played one more year at UD, won a CAA Championship and NCAA berth (and maybe an NCAA Tourney game or two?) with his teamates for the past two years and then transferred for his final year to Va Tech or elsewhere and enjoyed all or many of those Basketball experieinces you touted but for only one year.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:48 am

gonzo wrote:
Tue Jun 23, 2020 10:26 pm
Live by the transfer/die by the transfer

I'm sure there are UAB fans pissed off Darling left. Just as there are Delaware fans pissed off Daly left and now Mutts.

Transfers are the new normal. Ingelsby needs to build a solid core and add an impact transfer each year. That's the game.
gonzo, I see the situations as somewhat different. Darling played two years at UAB and transferred to UD. Darling was a coveted HS prospect. Daly had a few low Div I offers (not wanted by St. Joe's despite his family tradition there), played two years at UD, showed he was a legit Div I player, and then was lured away to St. Joe's. Mutts was at UD for two years, but only played one. Mutts used his schollies to graduate after only three years in college, improved his Basketball ability, got more visibility at UD, and parlayed that into grad scholly offers from big time programs. I see Daly & Mutts as selfish users.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Jun 24, 2020 11:13 am

finpxz1 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:12 am
You can't help yourself, can you Pat? Your original post said any parent should be “…proud and have no issues with what He is doing!!!!!” Well, is it possible to be proud and still potentially have concerns with what he is doing??? Life isn’t always black and white…there are often many shades of gray. Again, I don’t wish the kid ill will, nor am I mad at him for wanting to play in the ACC. And I’m not looking at this from a UD fans perspective only. All I’m saying is, in this particular instance, I personally believe it would be in his best interest to stay at UD for at least another year…for all the reasons I’ve mentioned previously. That’s it and that’s all. Can’t it be okay for someone to have a different opinion than you without being attacked or being accused of bad parenting??? I would counsel him that the grass is not always greener, and that bigger isn’t necessarily better. Ask Joe Flacco, Zach Kerr, Pat Devlin, Gino Gradkowski, Troy Reeder and many others that question. Having said that, if he still had his heart set on going to Va Tech, I would be extremely proud and in the stands supporting my son (at least post COVID...lol). Hopefully I won’t get attacked for this post, and we can agree to disagree.
Paranoid?? My last post was at no way directed at you. And as I stated to you previously, I agree with the hoops part of what you say and it may not work out him.

He wasn't Jarvis Threatt, another guy many on this board judged wrong. Not me Saddler was the MAN!! not Threatt
He didn't punch a teammate
He didn't flunk off the team

And for the some that say He should have played 1 more year and than left???? 2 years eligible offers more OPPORTUNITIES than someone with one.

Plus you all would have been pissing moaning this time next year. HE BAILED on us.

Justyn Mutts could only win here.....If He stayed.

And here's the truth and someone who post a lot about hoops can verify this about me as we have talked about it: I don't particularly like Justyn Mutts, I found extremely frustrating at times on the court. But his accomplishments has earned my respect.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:41 pm

Oh brother. Bill, have you ever heard of a hypothetical? Nobody knows what the young man's thoughts were. That includes your assertion that it was a basketball driven choice. Maybe, just maybe, his world isn't as myopic as yours and he's using his skills to get to a place that will help him. Maybe the degree isn't offered at UD. Maybe it is. Maybe it's a better scenario graduating from VTech, maybe it's not. Maybe the job market is better coming from UD, maybe it's not. Again, that's a lot of maybes. As in hypotheticals.

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 1:56 pm

So now I have to interpret which posts were directed at me??? LOL

I'm not paranoid, and I’m certainly not trying to make this personal. However, your original supposition was that any parent would have been proud and fine with his decision. And all I'm saying is that I, for one, would definitely be proud at my son’s accomplishments, but I would have counseled against making this move right now. I just personally think he’s making a mistake from purely a basketball perspective. Now maybe he’ll prove me wrong, average 20 and 10 in the ACC, and get drafted by the NBA. Maybe he’ll graduate with honors and have an incredible social, academic and athletic experience. I hope all that does happen for the kid. But based on what I’ve seen from him so far, I just personally don’t view him as an ACC-type player…at least not someone who can have a significant impact in the ACC. Again, hopefully I’m wrong. Best of luck to him…next man up!!!

DCHen97
UD Class: 0

Post by DCHen97 » Wed Jun 24, 2020 3:13 pm

[quote=BlueHenBill post_id=375888 time=1593009222 user_id=114]
[quote=DCHen97 post_id=375882 time=1593007489 user_id=7357]
If I'm a kid growing up living the game of basketball, worked my butt off in school and on the court and now have an opportunity to play meaningful conference games at Cameron Indoor, the Carrier Dome, Dean Smith Center and in South Bend for two years, and get a grad degree? NBA prospects or not, that's a lot to leave on the table to try to win a mid-major conference championship.
[/quote]

DCHen97, Mutts could have palyed one more year at UD, won a CAA Championship and NCAA berth (and maybe an NCAA Tourney game or two?) with his teamates for the past two years and then transferred for his final year to Va Tech or elsewhere and enjoyed all or many of those Basketball experieinces you touted but for only one year.
[/quote]

Bill, I hear what you're saying. Then again, what a gamble that could be. His stock is high now, could be even higher next year if they win the CAA. But, what if he got injured and then no years in the ACC are a possibility. With the upcoming season uncertainty (could be shortened, could be cancelled mid year again etc), he probably figured this was the best way to make sure he had a seat when the music stopped

darthdave
UD Class: 1993

Post by darthdave » Wed Nov 25, 2020 2:06 pm

2 pts, , 4 boards, 4 assist, 4 fouls against Radford to start his Vtech career. I’m sure he will have good games but not a good start.

Chyree Walker, former UD guy, had 6 pts, 7 boards for Radford

mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell » Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:06 pm

VT started 4 guards and 1 forward. Mutts played 21 minutes as it looks like he is the first big off the bench. The other 2 bench bigs played 14 minutes combined.

Walker started for Radford and played 24 minutes.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:34 am

Horton 5 pts, 3 fouls, 20 mins in his debut, a 10 pt loss at home to St Francis, who we beat by 15 last year.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Nov 26, 2020 6:11 am

He certainly did not look good last night.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:56 am

mpwerrell wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 3:06 pm
VT started 4 guards and 1 forward. Mutts played 21 minutes as it looks like he is the first big off the bench. The other 2 bench bigs played 14 minutes combined.

Walker started for Radford and played 24 minutes.
I can’t imagine being a back up was in the plans when he decided to transfer.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Thu Nov 26, 2020 10:21 pm

darthdave wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 1:34 am
Horton 5 pts, 3 fouls, 20 mins in his debut, a 10 pt loss at home to St Francis, who we beat by 15 last year.
Even though Pitt was picked near the bottom of the ACC, I was still stunned when I saw that result. Pitt was 29-0 against the Red Flash. Make that 29-1 now. St. Francis lost their top 2 scorers from last year and still won easily.
GO BIG BLUE!

Hen90
UD Class: 1990

Post by Hen90 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:41 pm

Mutts got the start against Villanova and had a solid game - 12 points, 6 rebounds and 2 steals. Other than a bad foul at end of regulation (which let Nova force OT when they converted both end of a one and one), I thought he looked good, especially on defense.