Nate Darling

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jd of de

Re: Nate Darling

Post by jd of de » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:17 am

Henzone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:53 am
A 2 way contract indicates to me he may not be in Charlotte for the opener.
Likely not but he’s got his shot now.

$7,000 a month G league / $35,000 total
$150,000 a month NBA / $900,000 total
The Hornets can use him for 45 days in the NBA at the G league salary

IMO at some point he’ll be overseas.
Last edited by jd of de on Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 11:18 am

A really good outcome for Nate. Will be fun to follow.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:23 pm

Congrats to Nate. I really enjoyed watching him here at UD.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

hoopster
UD Class: 1993

Post by hoopster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:29 pm

Beginning in the 2017–18 season, the National Basketball Association added two-way contracts between NBA teams and their NBA G League affiliates. Not offered to every aspiring NBA player, but only to undrafted players whom a team would like to keep "on retainer" without having to sign to a full-time contract. Each NBA team can have up to two two-way contract players per season, and are typically considered to be "16th and 17th men" on a roster. Excluding time spent before and after the G League's season begins and ends, players on two-way contracts can spend up to 45 days in the NBA while spending the rest of the season in the G League.

As of the 2017–18 season, players earn $75,000 while they are in the G League and roughly $204,000 if they spend the maximum 45 days on an NBA roster. The two-way contract system benefits young undrafted players who do not want to play professional basketball overseas, as well as those who believe an organizational investment in them is beneficial to their development. Some player agents are concerned about this system, because in exchange for guaranteed employment at a higher salary than a typical G League player, two-way players give up the freedom to be called up from the G League by any NBA team, possibly one with intent to sign the player to a 10-day contract, which could eventually lead to a full-time NBA roster spot sooner than with a two-way contract.
GO BIG BLUE!

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm

I'm sure Nate has weighed the situation and am happy to see him in a position to succeed on the court and make some money. I have my doubts he is an NBA player. Hope I'm wrong.

darthdave

Post by darthdave » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:01 pm

This article is about Nathan Knight signing with Atlanta. It says under the modified rules for the 20/21 season, Knight will receive $449,155 on a two-way contract.

If Darling has the same deal, looks like a smart decision to leave UD.

https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2020/11/ ... h-analysis

bluehenjeff
UD Class: 1985

Post by bluehenjeff » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm

Henzone wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:17 pm
I'm sure Nate has weighed the situation and am happy to see him in a position to succeed on the court and make some money. I have my doubts he is an NBA player. Hope I'm wrong.
he is not an NBA player. He should have stayed here another year. He is not athletic enough. He is a shotter an that is it. He would be to much of a liabiability on the court, That is just the way i see it.

hoopster

Post by hoopster » Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm

bluehenjeff wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:43 pm
Henzone wrote:
he is not an NBA player. He should have stayed here another year. He is not athletic enough. He is a shotter an that is it. He would be to much of a liabiability on the court, That is just the way i see it.
You mean stay here for a likely non-existent season? Too much uncertainty about whether there will even be a season. Darling made the right move. He would have stayed had there not been a pandemic. Glad you are not his agent.
GO BIG BLUE!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:04 pm

hoopster wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:56 pm
bluehenjeff wrote:
Henzone wrote:
You mean stay here for a likely non-existent season? Too much uncertainty about whether there will even be a season. Darling made the right move. He would have stayed had there not been a pandemic. Glad you are not his agent.
As much as I wanted to see him play one more year in a Hen uniform, He made the correct decision for Nate. Not every decision is a bad one if it doesn't favor the Hens.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:12 pm

hoopster wrote:
bluehenjeff wrote:
Henzone wrote:
Exactly.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 pm

He’s gone now and that’s a shame. Don’t know who advised him but these same options (UDFA) would have been available had he stayed this year with a chance that if he had a similar season to the one he put together this year to actually be drafted...maybe even a late 1st. He can shoot 3’s, good size, and is a smart player who when he gets hot look out. His defense is sketchy but so is most of the league. JM...I have no clue what he was thinking. VT brought in a ton of transfers...and they aren’t that good.

It’s too late with them as it is with the three other players who bailed via transfer. This needs to change. A school does not need to release a player and I know people will argue choice and right and whatever...college sports is what it is because of the fan bases that support them and to allow players to bail without consequence does nothing but show other players that this is par for the course and leaves out program in constant flux. Make it clear to recruits that they should think before they sign. That’s a life skill and though some might argue that not releasing the player could damage the locker room or hurt recruiting, I’d argue that I’d rather lose out on a recruit who may or may not sign with the thought of moving up and sign players who are committed to his teammates and program even if they don’t have the hype or even the skills. Think of the talent we lost and how that has impacted the program’s (which is getting better every year) growth and chemistry.

Just say no...
The Dude Abides!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Nov 19, 2020 6:24 pm

HenZoneNation wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 5:32 pm
He’s gone now and that’s a shame. Don’t know who advised him but these same options (UDFA) would have been available had he stayed this year with a chance that if he had a similar season to the one he put together this year to actually be drafted...maybe even a late 1st. He can shoot 3’s, good size, and is a smart player who when he gets hot look out. His defense is sketchy but so is most of the league. JM...I have no clue what he was thinking. VT brought in a ton of transfers...and they aren’t that good.

It’s too late with them as it is with the three other players who bailed via transfer. This needs to change. A school does not need to release a player and I know people will argue choice and right and whatever...college sports is what it is because of the fan bases that support them and to allow players to bail without consequence does nothing but show other players that this is par for the course and leaves out program in constant flux. Make it clear to recruits that they should think before they sign. That’s a life skill and though some might argue that not releasing the player could damage the locker room or hurt recruiting, I’d argue that I’d rather lose out on a recruit who may or may not sign with the thought of moving up and sign players who are committed to his teammates and program even if they don’t have the hype or even the skills. Think of the talent we lost and how that has impacted the program’s (which is getting better every year) growth and chemistry.

Just say no...
I understand what you are saying but no coach could successfully recruit quality kids the way you are suggesting. The issue is this is now life as a mid major. Unfortunately, we don't count.....very much
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UD1Hens
UD Class: 2009

Re: Nate Darli

Post by UD1Hens » Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:05 am

hoopster wrote:
bluehenjeff wrote:
Henzone wrote:
You took the words right out of my mouth. Nate pursued what he felt was in his best interest and I believe is being rewarded for doing so. While I’d have loved to watch him in one more season here, it’s looking less and less likely they will even have a season. He needed to capitalize on his stock being the highest and playing a fragmented out of conference/CAA schedule wasn’t going to do it. He will now enter an NBA gym and training regimen, without having to worry about school or other distractions a student-athlete may face. Nate’s getting paid to play the game he loves and whether that is in the G-League, end of an NBA bench, or possibly overseas, he did what’s best for him and his future.
Goal: Delaware playoff football talk at the table on Thanksgiving Day.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:58 am

This was probably one of the easier decisions Nate Darling has made in his life. I am sure it was much easier than his decision to leave Canada as a 10th grader to come to the US or to leave UAB to come to UD. Darling is going to get paid to play basketball for someone, somewhere. Playing at best a shortened season on a diminished roster at UD would likely have done very little for him other than delay getting paid.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:18 am

The roster wouldn't be diminished with his return and he's going to get paid playing ball anyway and with another season like the last one maybe get paid in the millions or at least a legit shot to make the team. There always risk with injuries but it would have to be catastrophic for that to occur as his game is more shooting that attacking the rim. The G-League and Europe aren't going anywhere. I do see your point but I still don't believe it was a good move. I have no Earthly idea what Mutts was thinking.

Pat...it is a slippery slope but if we keep losing these players a year or two after they arrive then we will never build a consistent winner. I'd rather us go the route (at our level of recruits) that Creighton, Butler, Witchita State route where you go after guys who are less developed and who will most likely stay for four years than the one and dones. This way ain't working.

I'm interested on your take about UD's decision to move to the CAA and if this is indeed a good fit for us. I get back in the day when the VCU's, Old Dominions, and GMU's made the conference relevant but it feels to me like the conference now is exactly what you said, "we don't matter...much." If we aren't going to compete with the bigger conferences and we can't keep our best players here then maybe we go back to an American East where we can consistently compete year in and year out instead of two good years two bad, three okay, three bad...
The Dude Abides!