Nate Darling

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
DCHen97
UD Class: 0

Re: Nate Darling

Post by DCHen97 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:59 am

While I would cringe to have to plan some of the America East teams, from a travel standpoint, Orno is 47 miles closer then CofC, our furthest CAA trip.

Best of luck to Nate!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:01 am

HenZoneNation wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:18 am
The roster wouldn't be diminished with his return and he's going to get paid playing ball anyway and with another season like the last one maybe get paid in the millions or at least a legit shot to make the team. There always risk with injuries but it would have to be catastrophic for that to occur as his game is more shooting that attacking the rim. The G-League and Europe aren't going anywhere. I do see your point but I still don't believe it was a good move. I have no Earthly idea what Mutts was thinking.

I don't agree with Europe, in the right league/team you can make 500K plus easily and with the perks that go with it, you don't need to spend much of your own coin. Anything wrong making 250/300K? Mutts? I can't disagree with you, but here's where I don't think he gets enough credit in this. He graduated in 3 years to give himself the opportunity! For that, I can't rip him.

Pat...it is a slippery slope but if we keep losing these players a year or two after they arrive then we will never build a consistent winner. I'd rather us go the route (at our level of recruits) that Creighton, Butler, Witchita State route where you go after guys who are less developed and who will most likely stay for four years than the one and dones. This way ain't working.

At any level, you can't put a gun to a kid's head and expect positive results. Why not go play for a similar school instead of UD without restrictions? On this one we are complete opposite ends. I may not succeed?? I know you are going to bomb big with your approach.

I'm interested on your take about UD's decision to move to the CAA and if this is indeed a good fit for us. I get back in the day when the VCU's, Old Dominions, and GMU's made the conference relevant but it feels to me like the conference now is exactly what you said, "we don't matter...much." If we aren't going to compete with the bigger conferences and we can't keep our best players here then maybe we go back to an American East where we can consistently compete year in and year out instead of two good years two bad, three okay, three bad...

I hated the move!!!! It was too unilateral for me. The A10 in 94/95 was the move. And I knew we were in trouble before 1 game was played. I had a fairly lengthy conversation with Asst Coach Josh Oppenheimer the summer before we moved and He and the Staff(Henderson's) didn't see much difference from the AE and didn't think it was that big of a deal. I was a little taken back.

I have just come to the realization this offseason how little we matter( I started a thread, please read it) once Mid Majors started getting a bigger slice of the pie, the rules changed to make it much harder.
See my remarks, Glad you asked
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 pm

Darling with 9 minutes played in the Hornets first pre season game. 0-3 from the field, 2 rebounds, 3 assists.

SeanieWard
UD Class: 2007

Post by SeanieWard » Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:55 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 pm
Darling with 9 minutes played in the Hornets first pre season game. 0-3 from the field, 2 rebounds, 3 assists.
I'm rooting for the kid. He's his own man and makes his own decisions but I hear some people say he made the right decision..I disagree

Prior to his breakout season at UD, he was an average college player. As good as he was last season, he wasn't an All American or anything..so a guy with another year of eligibility who wants to go to the league should stay in college and develops his game more to up his stock. It honestly would of made more sense for him to transfer to a bigger school like Mutts and prove himself against better competition. I've seen this story many times before. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Good luck Darling

Udforever1

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:32 pm

SeanieWard wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 10:55 pm
Udforever1 wrote:
Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:53 pm
I'm rooting for the kid. He's his own man and makes his own decisions but I hear some people say he made the right decision..I disagree

Prior to his breakout season at UD, he was an average college player. As good as he was last season, he wasn't an All American or anything..so a guy with another year of eligibility who wants to go to the league should stay in college and develops his game more to up his stock. It honestly would of made more sense for him to transfer to a bigger school like Mutts and prove himself against better competition. I've seen this story many times before. Hope I'm wrong on this one.

Good luck Darling
I’d completely agree with you, however this year is different. There was so much uncertainty with Covid and if a season will get played (still is). I think and I’ve heard that if Covid and this uncertainty hadn’t been a factor, Darling would be back. The good news for Darling is that so far it appears he’s made the right decision.

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:25 pm

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:00 pm

Good for Nate!

UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad » Wed Dec 23, 2020 9:47 pm

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:53 am

Wow Congratulations to Nate!!

https://www.nba.com/hornets/roster

Now they need to get his pic!
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 am

Hopefully he'll last long enough to take a picture.

2 players and an assistant coach from the CAA on the roster.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Thu Dec 24, 2020 4:49 pm

Henzone wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 9:58 am
Hopefully he'll last long enough to take a picture.

2 players and an assistant coach from the CAA on the roster.
Attachments
5D3BB119-AC01-4E62-A391-6B3FA772518F.jpeg
5D3BB119-AC01-4E62-A391-6B3FA772518F.jpeg (99.32 KiB) Viewed 769 times
#ProtectTheFlock

hoopster
UD Class: 1993

Post by hoopster » Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am

I know there are a couple of articles mentioning Darling is on the regular season roster for the Hornets, but his name is not in the box scored as a DNP - Coach’s Decision.
GO BIG BLUE!

Udforever1

Post by Udforever1 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:27 pm

hoopster wrote:
Sun Dec 27, 2020 10:20 am
I know there are a couple of articles mentioning Darling is on the regular season roster for the Hornets, but his name is not in the box scored as a DNP - Coach’s Decision.
NBA is a bit similar to the NFL on game days. Usually you can have 15 active on the roster, 13 allowed to dress on game day. I believe with Covid this year those numbers have gone up to 15 allowed to dress, 17 active.

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm

How does the two way contract work? Nate hasn't played for the Hornets and he's not even on the Greensboro Swarm roster. I do see the G league starts in Florida in February.
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Jan 14, 2021 5:19 am

Henny wrote:
Wed Jan 13, 2021 4:12 pm
How does the two way contract work? Nate hasn't played for the Hornets and he's not even on the Greensboro Swarm roster. I do see the G league starts in Florida in February.
Nate gets G-league money, including up to 10 days on the NBA roster for regular season-playoff games. The 2-way in his contract, the NBA side and money, kicks in once his been on the NBA roster more than 10 days.

It’s a one sided deal IMO as it locks a player up at next to nothing money unless he actually spends extended time in the NBA and keeps the G-league alive. My guess, unless he strikes lightening in a bottle, he toils away in the G-league until his contract expires, then Nate heads overseas.