Sixers 2017-18

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Sixers 2017-18

Postby bluehenbillk on Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:44 am

6-4 so far & the first half of the schedule is by far the tougher, so far so good!
Make Delaware Football Great Again!!
GO HENS!!! GO OWLS!!!
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby HENJOHN on Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:24 am

Yes Bill. Hard to argue 6-4 and playing good basketball. Simmons is special.
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Gannonfan on Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:16 am

HENJOHN wrote:Yes Bill. Hard to argue 6-4 and playing good basketball. Simmons is special.

Simmons is a Beast. Add in a fantastic pickup of Redick, which frees up Covington to get better looks this year as well, along with Saric playing better, and a bench that, while no one is individually eye-popping they all fit what the team wants to do pretty well, and they could be a very dangerous team going forward. BHBK is right, front half of the schedule is stacked - they keep their heads above water early on and they could really push things later. I expected playoffs this year, actually possible to raise my expectations.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Gannonfan

UD Class: 1995

Postby Gannonfan on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:33 pm

Sixers looked great last night - Simmons and Embiid, with that supporting cast, should be ready to compete right now. Should be a fun year, but really, with what we've seen already, just making the playoffs is a low goal - I'd like to make a little noise in the playoffs.
Gannonfan

Postby UDForever on Tue Nov 14, 2017 3:43 pm

Joe and i were talking earlier. Last night is what Embiid needs to do consistently. Get down on the block and go to work. They couldn’t stop him. Reddick is really helping Covington get some wide open looks as well, and he isn’t missing. He’s about to get paid also.
UDForever

Postby Gannonfan on Wed Nov 15, 2017 12:07 pm

UDForever wrote:Joe and i were talking earlier. Last night is what Embiid needs to do consistently. Get down on the block and go to work. They couldn’t stop him. Reddick is really helping Covington get some wide open looks as well, and he isn’t missing. He’s about to get paid also.

Yeah, that's the nice thing about signing Redick - it takes the focus solely off of Covington. He couldn't get enough good open looks last year because he was the only real threat from deep. Now you have JJ and you have to guard him, plus Simmons just being a beast and able to drive at will is opening things up too. Heck, even Bayless, when he was healthy, was drawing defensive attention. It's a good problem to have that there are so many guys who can score on this team.

And Colangelo's job as GM is different now - player acquisition is not really the focus going forward, at least not in large numbers. The draft picks we have now going forward will be outside of the lottery (save for the Lakers pick this year or the Kings pick next year, whichever one we get in that trade with Boston) and impact players will be fewer. Now the focus for the GM will be on the salary side of things and how to pay everyone. Got to get that right because it would be a shame to go through the Process and finally realize we did get great players, and then start to lose them because we screw up the cap.
Gannonfan

Postby UDForever on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:34 am

What a performance by Embiid. Simmons one rebound away from a triple double. 8-6 to start the season facing a tough schedule. Guess wins do matter :lol:.

Covington 4 years, 62 million.
UDForever

Postby HENJOHN on Thu Nov 16, 2017 9:43 am

Embiid was off the charts but Simmons is the guy I'm most impressed with. I have tickets to a game in December and I can't wait. The East is much more open this year. Gotta get in those playoffs!
Let's once again play the hard, physical, dominating football that we have been known for.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby Hens79 on Thu Nov 16, 2017 11:24 am

Embid is a super star and Simmons looks like he may be one as well. They are fun to watch.
Hens79

Previous

Return to Hen Droppings