Phillies 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies 2018

Postby HENJOHN on Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm

Picked up my 2018 Street & Smith MLB Magazine and they have Phil's ending up 4th in NL East. Starting lineup of Hernandez, Crawford, N Williams, Hoskins, Santana, Herrara, Franco and Alfaro. Starting staff of Nola, Eickoff, Velasquez, J Thompson and Ben Lively.....they predict Yankees over Nats in World Series.....Phil's were 6-22 in May last season. Killer.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby bluehenbillk on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:17 pm

Hernandez won't last the year. Kingery is coming.
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby HENJOHN on Tue Feb 13, 2018 4:47 pm

Agree on Kingery.
HENJOHN

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Feb 13, 2018 7:02 pm

all great comments and too many to quote, but like them all

a few predictions, comments and song out of the gate

Hoskins - I did predict last year that he was getting ready to go on a power tear, and he sure did, Now get ready for a bit of the Sophmore jynx, not that he wont be good but man what a rookie year he had after being called up, what took them so long to get him up, you just have to expect a bit of growing pains this year as the pitchers adjust

7. Jhailyn Ortiz, OF, my boy has moved up to the # 7 prospect in the organization after not being rated last year, I talked him up as a Seventenn year old back in 16, he learned that game at 17 that love was meant for beauty queens.... ha, Jhailyn is no beauty but he sure can hit.....

Will the Mickster be able to make the jump to AA this year? or another long season in A ball for the Cali kid, anyone seen my surfboard... Florida State league coming up

Sixto - no realation to Lezcano Sanchez - #2 now behind Crawford, stay healthy kid and who knows where you might end up this year, how about a September call up

Galvis, I was never a fan of Galveston, he was 21 but I never dreamed of Galveston, good move shipping him off, not sure about the young pitching prospect they got for him but some spicy mustard to go with a Phillie dog would of been good enough, just put Crawford at SS and forget about Freddy never ready Galvis..... looks like the rest of the Mlb general managers tend to see way, you need a dynamic SS , lets See if Galvis really has some pop in his bat out in San The Gran Canyon San Diego park

Santana, what can you say after what Joec said.... not a damn thing.... but I will just say I like Carlos better than Joseph, Hey Joe, is it true your boy Jerry Garcia gave Santana a hit of acid before the Soul Sacrifice performance at Woodstock.... Carlos should be forever greatful dead

Is Alfaro 26 years old yet with creaky knees, if so it must be time for him to finally crack the line up and win the backstop....

I saw all the comments on Kingery, couldnt agree more he is a keeper, hope finds a way on the field early.... I really like Kingery

Franco the Dominican Abinico needs a sugar Daddy that will take him under his wing and get his air head screwed on right, maybe Santana is the hombre for that huge job, Franco is still capable of exploding with homers ala Edwin Encarnacion who was a late blommer, he needs a fresh outlook.......if he can get hot, maybe can be dealt for some arms....
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby joe c on Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:09 pm

Whether this is a concern or not I do not know but Kingery's swing and miss dramatically increased from double A to To Triple A... Regardless you have to love this kid...

I have to its so darn good....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij4gc8iBDaI
joe c

Postby HENJOHN on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:10 pm

So no Jake Arrieta now? Hell, Ordrizzi would have been nice.
HENJOHN

Postby Hens79 on Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:25 pm

Who has heard Kapler talk much from Spring Training? To me, he sounds phoney, like he is working off a script and like he is managing a high school school team or even a lower level. Both my son and my wife, who is a minimal baseball fan, asked separately "who the heck is this guy"? when they saw him on the news.
Hens79

Postby Youdee Blues on Thu Feb 22, 2018 9:38 am

It seems similar to that guy who comes in for a job interview and bluffs his way through it with a bunch of puffing and use of big words. He may end up doing fine, but somehow it feels like he's trying to sell me on the quality of the Subaru Outback when I only came in to kick the tires on the Gran Torino.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby UDForever on Sat Mar 03, 2018 9:12 am

A week into spring. I won’t judge the starting pitching yet because primarily they are working on location, getting a feel and working on certain pitches. Hasn’t been too pretty though. Regardless of that, they still need another starter. They have to get one. You can not go into the season with Nola-VV-Eickhoff-Pivetta-Eflin/Lively. You have to get an Arrietta, Cobb or Lynn. Even if Lynn costs that draft pick and international money. Similar to UD football, it’d be a shame if one side of the ball was wasted because the other side isn’t addressed. I think we will have a solid lineup. I really do.

Here’s where I’m torn. I won’t lie I hated the Kapler hire. I’m still torn but I like what I’ve heard so far. He’s perfect for a young team. Full of energy and full of praise. You can tell early that the players are buying in. Here’s my concern though. The extreme analytics. I do not like that we’ve literally gone from one extreme to the other. A match in the middle would be just fine. My concern is baseball players especially are such creatures of habit. If I’m Santana and Hoskins, I want to know I’m showing up to the park the majority of the time hitting in the 3/4 spot. I don’t want to be driving to the park wondering whether I’m hitting leadoff, cleanup or 7th. Don’t get so caught up in analytics that you mess with a guys routine and rhythm. Hoskins should not be hitting in 4 different spots a week just because he puts the ball in play worse against one guy or whatever new statistics these Ivy grads who have never picked up a ball are using to judge him.

While hesitant on the Kapler hire, I do think he’s surrounded himself with a terrific staff. Joe C and I talk every day about the Phils. We agree on a lot but of course we disagree on some. Phils will spend next year. And they will go after at least one of Machado or Harper. Will they get them? Time will tell. But Middleton was ancy last year i was told by someone very involved in the organization and he ain’t sitting on his money with what’s being hailed as the best FA class ever. I’m glad he is the way he is because as I’ve told Joe my concern is MacPhail and Klentak run this franchise like a small market team.

I prefer baseball America usually but MLB just came out with their prospect rankings. Have the Phils as the 5th best system and that’s with some graduations. I really like our pen and more help will be on the way in a few months with Seranthony Dominguez. Joe loves him and rightfully so. I think it’d be lights out with VV at the back end.
UDForever

Postby Hens79 on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:21 am

I'll keep it short.

Kapler looks and sounds like more of a phoney everyday. He is managing grown men not a high school team. What kind of tanning oil does he use? Obviously, the Phillies need a starting pitcher and really two. The $60M for Santana could have got a good one. It is extreme analytics. Has been since Day One with Klentak. He thinks he has better algorithms and can find "value" better than others??? Hoskins and Santana should be 4-5 everyday. And told their job it to hit HRs and drive in runs, not walk. And also for sure, MacPhail and Klentak run the Phillies like a small market team. Hopefully, that changes. We'll see how this works out.
Hens79

Postby joe c on Sat Mar 03, 2018 10:26 am

Ok Mike, You forced rant number 2 out of me..lol.. First lets play some baseball... Ok yup we agree on most and I love ya brother and will be at your games however we aint getting Harper or Machado...or Kershaw.. aint happen ing..More like we have a shot at Gio or Donaldson.. Now from the top..DiD Middleton just say "We wont do anything stupid" HUH! In regards to Arrieta.... You mean like give a 32 year 250 hitting first baseman 60 million... You mean like that..When you already have a young phenom 1st baseman who now will butcher left field... Not to mention the other first baseman Joseph who will give you the same if not better offensive numbers as Santana.. And again Santana is a nice player, just not needed and only was made because fans went ballistic after McPhail's comment about not spending... Enough on that...

Next up Kapler.... I like you was irate over this move. The other side was The Phillies after all these years did something unconventional. The ultra conservative franchise did something against "the book" HUH????? After hearing him talk I love him and his approach to game...He ain't no yes man that is for sure.... now we have no idea his game day strategies and time will tell.. He has put together a very interesting staff..Time will tell and we need to give some rope to learn as he goes... I told HJ he reminds of Buddy Ryan in that he makes it fun because you want to pic k a paper to see what he said... The phillies made a Yankees move here..."To heck what everyone says we are going to do iy our way" Throw the book away Coach Mike!!! We also Agree on lineup Pick it set it stay w it...All I know it was fun riding to the park knowing we were batting leadoff Coach.. Just get ready ...take infield pine tar my bat (used to pizz my teammates off coach...lol get it every where... just like that Big Lug HJ knew he was hitting clean up and was the man) It makes you comfortable...Hopefully The phillies have set line up...I see Herrara hitting third Hoskins 4th Santana 5 Franco 6...Alther 7 Alfaro 8 Hdernandez 1 Crawford 2..

We need pitching !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Mike we need 2 not 1...I am more angry we didn't go after Oporrizzi than Arrieta...How does Minny get him for nothing and we don't even try...We don't have a lefty from Here to Eternity and we don't try and get Montgomery? HUH??????????/

We still have no closer...We both think VV should be given a shot...Neris? the guy who failed last year? wow.. Hope it works....

I absolutely love Dominguez Wow throws 98 to 100 and its heavy...He will be here this season..Was not impressed by Taveras..

Kingery is amazing...Tough decision here..Phillies are trying him all over because they love Hernandes as do I....

Don't look now Coach but my boy Quinn is earning a job..Stay Healthy Kid...Speed Speed Speed

We are tied for first Lets Play!!
joe c

Postby HENJOHN on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:30 am

Gritty Baseball talk on Match 3rd, Love it!! When is Mike Trout a Free Agent? :-)
HENJOHN

Postby joe c on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:39 am

HENJOHN wrote:Gritty Baseball talk on Match 3rd, Love it!! When is Mike Trout a Free Agent? :-)

Stop J....lol

For You and Coach Mike...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aK6JnyFmk
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sat Mar 03, 2018 11:49 am

I was wondering when the big bats were going to get the baseball season kicked off here on gohens.... love it!

Let me ask, did the Phillies give a reason for signing Santana?

asking for a friend :D

thats the thing, the Phils do have a pretty good lineup and all the baseball world is speculating on why they have not solidified there chances of making it interesting by going out and signing a pitcher

just hope it's not a Jaime Garcia type, I like the #1 all day long, hit it if you can baby......
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby Youdee Blues on Sat Mar 03, 2018 12:05 pm

Time will tell, but I'm with 79 in that I feel we're being duped by Kapler. A true BS merchant in my mind. Just look at Hoskins' line for the game on Thursday...LF, RF, LF, RF, LF, RF, LF, RF, LF, RF, and he did it again yesterday with Cozens. That's a lineup made by a Little League coach. I hope he proves me wrong, but this guy's a load of BS so far.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Droppings