Phillies 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies 2018

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:17 pm

UDForever wrote:As I posted earlier this week, this is what I strongly dislike about Kapler. JP hot and starting to find his stroke yet not in the lineup today. It’s a pen game for the Rays so it’s not like the left on left would have mattered, plus not a bad thing to get him some experience hitting lefty’s.

I saw that coach...

his early tendacies show he doesnt like players rotting on the bench, Floriman answers the call with a big hit.... I'm torn on it actually, it sure is weird to bench a hot hand, but what is more important is to keep him hot.... maybe the lefty for TB messes up his hot stroke

I might of been tempted to put him in the OF ... so far, I really like Crawford's defense at SS...

have I said I love Kingery yet, I love this kid.... drives a 3 run double over the Cf's head
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun Apr 15, 2018 3:51 pm

ok Joe, your boy Altherr just crushed one, after an Andrew Jones type play.....
Caribbean Hen

Postby HENJOHN on Sun Apr 15, 2018 5:19 pm

That was a great catch he made too
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby joe c on Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:55 am

It sure was and bases were loaded don't forget...'Playing great ball. 9 and 5 heading to Atlanta w Nola on the hill....Even with Kingery batting 5th hey are pitching around Hoskins...I like Kingery at 5... I cannot believe Crawford didn't play...Lively was hit hard even his outs were bullets...Arano and Ramos look good...Morgan nibbling to much...

At Lehigh...they lose in extra innings...Quinn w 3 hits hitting 310...Get him up here. De La Santos strong 7 K's in 3 innings..Don't know why he was pulled,,Liebrandt again amazing
4 inn 1 hit 5 K's...
At Reading....Loses in 9th..Kilome gives up 3 in 5 inn...Had 6K'k...Couldnt find plate early

Clearwater...They come back from down 3 in a rain shortened game./.All eyes on Sixto..He goes ,4 gives up 7 hits 4 runs but k's 6 and allegedly hit 101 on the gun..He also uncharacteristically walked 4..His first outing and remember this kid is only 19...

Lakewood....was rained out....

Suarez goes for Reading Tonight
New Hot Prospect Rosso goes Wednesday...

Who would have thunk The Phillies would be 9 and 5...
All eyes in Philly tonight at 8 fot game 2...Embiid passed concussion protocal but will not play...Play off hoops in Philly....Wow just wow...Gotta love it.....
A 2 game night... It doesn't get much better!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
joe c

Postby UDPat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:56 pm

Should you be making plans for Oct/Nov baseball? That maybe a little premature.

But there a number of reasons to be encouraged:

1) At the plate this is a different team, top 5 in baseball in the # of pitches seen per at bat'
2) After Nola and Arrietta, Pivetta looks much improved and hopeful He nails down a spot in the rotation long term. Want to see more from VV before I anoint him but encouraged
3 Yes the schedule has been soft but when you win 8 out of 9, it doesn't matter who you play, you are playing good baseball.
4) It hurts me but Franco may be odd man out. That is along as Ceasar doesn't go back to his dumb play on the base pads of the last 2 years.
5) The bullpen is getting healthy, Hunter back at week's end and Neshack starting to throw.
6) They can hit, different guys every night

And still boat loads of money to be aggressive in the off season. Now I have said for a while they would not spend a lot this past off season and they didn't. That has been disputed.
60Mill for Santana
Approx 30 mil for Neshack and Hunter.

That's not alot.

But if you really want to include Arrietta in that and add his 75 Mil, then yes they did spend. But if you want to do that, then you must give credit to "Computer Boy" and the game they played to acquire Arrietta. They stuck to their guns and got him on their terms. Plus with the signing of Kingery, again a very savy move by this organization.

Are they there yet? Nope but it does appear to be trending up.
But if you can't be somewhat encouraged by this, you must be a closet UMass fan.

And 1 last wish..........For God's sake and for Joe, please get Roman Quinn up here ASAP.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby UDPat on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:33 pm

Hens79 wrote:Really Pat? Nothing useful again?

Did you say the Phillies would spend $135M on signings? Really? I thought it was they wont spend until AFTER this year? You are a hoot. You got it dead wrong. But guys like you never admit it. Instead you nit pic at things like 2-5 rather than 2-4. I said they would spend but not alot. Before Arrierta(which was brilliant by Computer Boy BTW, got him completely on their terms), they spent about 90 Mil, Santana, Neshack and Hunter. I don't view that as a lot in MLB. Including Arrietta, yes they spent more than I thought but again a great move. Thought this upcoming offseason would be the big spending and I still do think they will spend where needed.

As for "insiders", I think it is really sad that older/old men play the "I know something but can't share it game". So glad you have self identified. I have been but again why would anyone share anything with you?? Info has been shared, but why would anyone share it with the most miserable person on the boards. That would have to be earned, sorry.

And hey, regarding hoops, in my only year coaching in CYM, my team went undefeated and won a championship at Holy Angles. Your guys ever do that? :D Hopefully you weren't part of that cheating Holy Angels team that stormed out to 8-0 but then had to forfeit all 8 when it was discovered they were getting kids from out of state. To answer you, yes on more than 1 occasion and with both boys and girls. There are a couple of people who post on these boards that know all about my coaching career. I have coached against them and played against some. So any BS from me and I can be called out anytime. But I wasn't worried about my win-loss record at that level. I was more concerned with developing the kid who would go on to score 1000 pts for St Marks. Or the kid who be All Flight B in hoops but all state in baseball and defensive player of the year in football. This young man would go on to lead WilmU to their 1st WS appearance a couple of years ago. How about the kid who All State 1st team in 3 sports and would catch a TD from Aaron Rodgers. I love to win as a coach but I was more worried about developing these young athletes for the biggest game of all......The Game of Life!!! It's just really cool when someone who now has a family and is in their early 30's sees me and "Coach Pat" is the 1st thing out of their mouth. That is priceless.

Keep you eyes down in AC :D
:lol: :lol: :lol: Wasn't a slammer but the pockets were a little heavier than when I left.

I didn't want to respond, but it's just too easy!!! But felt I had to, again after you go on a rant, the PM's waiting for me once I returned from AC were all I needed to see. Newsflash: I know I'm not the most popular person on these boards, but compared to you, they are building a statue of me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
UDPat

Postby joe c on Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:39 pm

All good points Pat.. Pat it doen't take a genius to go after Arrieta..He was was there a long time and make no mistake they did it because Eichoff went down..He is a good pitcher but a shell of what he once was.. Still a solid move..Signing Santana was not needed. They only did that because fan base went ballistic over McPhails words.. We will disagree on offense..It needs pieces...As for Hernandez just check their record when he plays as opposed to when he doesn't..Go Ahead...
Coach Mike suggested to me that VV should be tried as the closer,,,I agree with him.. Lets hope on Pivetta..We still need pitching..Hunter comes back soon and we will see if he has anything..We need Neshak back and healthy..However Arano (23), Rios and Ramos look superb. Playing good ball and your right they have had a soft schedule but they are beating them..Road bumps sure to come... We have spme very good prospects as far as pitching goes, not so much in terms of position players... I also agree and said so so in many post that Franco is odd man out..Hernandez is the catalyst for this team...I expect the stupid base running will continue,,,Just leave him alone...He also does the little things that don't appear in a box score,,,,,
We got Nola going tonight against Teheran...Good matchup.....

And yes Patrick get Quinn up here...

And oh yeah we have a small little Basket game going.....
joe c

Postby joe c on Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:31 pm

Can't win em all...Both games...There is a lot to say about a 2 1 loss..Start where you expect..Herara...Uneffinbelievable. How do you not slide not to mention tip toeing into second.. Quite frankly I would have pulled him.Of course we cannot because we have 30 pitchers.. What was he doing..I love his game but thought we were passed this nonsense..Then he doesn't go after fly ball and hangs Alther out to dry. He cost Phillie at least 2 runs..Kapler was very candid about both. He said that he has spoken to Odubel and it wont happen again..I still would have pulled his butt.. Lets continue...Franco sure looked good...lol or as Davis said you can't hit the ball with your butt on the bench as he was bailing that bad...Ok how about Kapler pinch hitting Florimen for Crawford (our hottest hitter w 2 hits tonight) in the 8th.. Teams continue to pitch around Hoskins..He better get used to it...Santana continues to give us nothing zip... Nola battled without his curve, very impressive..Arano has been amazing. 22 hitters faced 22 outs. First Phillie pitcher to go 18 straight since the immortal Jerry Spradlin... The Phillies are number 1 in all of pitching baseball in least amount of hard hit balls..That is why they are 9 and 6...Take away the 20 run game and they are very pedestrian offensively....Crawford has to be ticked offf... Its time to play Mostly Williams and sit Alther but its just time..

Okay Quinn gets 3 hits and for his reward a seat on bench.... However some good news here...C opens w another bomb up to 286 Walding w 2 more hits...
At Reading Suarez w 8 shut out innings and 10 k's....

Franco better wake up...Walding breathing down his neck...

Philliez 0 for 10 w runners in scoring position...OUCH.... Hernandez w night off and a loss....
Last edited by joe c on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:05 am

Joe, hasnt Herrera always been a bit of and oddball as in Oduball.....

many have said it already that Franco just might be the odd man out as Kingery probably settles in at Third more and more as the season goes on ..... it starting to look like Franco is never going to reach his potential

The Atlanta infield sure plays fast.... some bullets hit last night and the grass seems to accelarate not slow down grounders.... IF's better be ready

Santana looks like the best .130 hitter in the league, he's not overmatched but has been hitting some good balls to the wrong part of the field....
Caribbean Hen

Postby UDPat on Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:51 am

joe c wrote:All good points Pat.. Pat it doen't take a genius to go after Arrieta..He was was there a long time and make no mistake they did it because Eichoff went down..He is a good pitcher but a shell of what he once was.. Still a solid move..Signing Santana was not needed. They only did that because fan base went ballistic over McPhails words.. We will disagree on offense..It needs pieces...As for Hernandez just check their record when he plays as opposed to when he doesn't..Go Ahead...
Coach Mike suggested to me that VV should be tried as the closer,,,I agree with him.. Lets hope on Pivetta..We still need pitching..Hunter comes back soon and we will see if he has anything..We need Neshak back and healthy..However Arano (23), Rios and Ramos look superb. Playing good ball and your right they have had a soft schedule but they are beating them..Road bumps sure to come... We have spme very good prospects as far as pitching goes, not so much in terms of position players... I also agree and said so so in many post that Franco is odd man out..Hernandez is the catalyst for this team...I expect the stupid base running will continue,,,Just leave him alone...He also does the little things that don't appear in a box score,,,,,
We got Nola going tonight against Teheran...Good matchup.....

And yes Patrick get Quinn up here...

And oh yeah we have a small little Basket game going.....

Joe,

These guys are far from a finished product but the way it is been set up, they can add the needed pieces because they have the money to spend.
I didn't understand the Santana signing either.
Is Arietta 2015 Jake? No But a veteran guy like him can only help stabilize a young staff. Waiting or not they got him completely on their terms and that needs to noted and acknowledged.

I still say Kapler is weird. That's the only word I can come up with.
UDPat

Postby joe c on Tue Apr 17, 2018 7:33 am

Thats all well and good but computer boy said and I quote, "We targeted him all along"..Stop peeing down my back and tell me its rain. If you targeted him all along then why didnt you sign him..You wait until last day.. He actually hung himself. Once they found out about Eickhoff they went and got him and way overpaid..Like I said he is a good pitcher but a shell of his former self.. You have to wonder if the Roid rumors are true w this guy....The irony is the pitching has been stellar...Arano has been amazing..We have a couple of guys struggling a bit in Lively and Morgan....Morgan nibbles to much...As for Lively maybe we should introduce him to Eflin..He has had 2 great starts as the Phillies have told him to stop throwing his fastball so much and work on his secondary pitches...We need another hitter to bat 5th..Clearly obvious...

Mr C, I love Herara but no matter what he is there is no excuse for last night...None None None....No doubt he is a showman but that doesn't explain last night....Kapler was honest about it....Still cannot believe he pinch hit Florimen for Crawford,, The irony is we had no one else because the amount of pitchers...Roman Quinn anyone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
joe c

Postby bluehenbillk on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:38 am

I see you guys already hit on Odubel, you don't waste any time haha. no excuse for dogging it onto second & then not sliding - I have boys that play ages 10 & 13 and they always slide. Fundamentals. The outfield gaffe cost them the winning run. I'd hope the message gets conveyed with a view from the bench tonight. He should've been pulled last night, but again there isn't much of a bench on this team.

Nola has pitched well twice now in Atlanta & has an 0-1 record to show for it...
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby joe c on Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:50 am

bluehenbillk wrote:I see you guys already hit on Odubel, you don't waste any time haha. no excuse for dogging it onto second & then not sliding - I have boys that play ages 10 & 13 and they always slide. Fundamentals. The outfield gaffe cost them the winning run. I'd hope the message gets conveyed with a view from the bench tonight. He should've been pulled last night, but again there isn't much of a bench on this team.

Nola has pitched well twice now in Atlanta & has an 0-1 record to show for it...

That's no kidding William...If your boy would have done that there is no doubt in my mind you would have spoken to him...Dutch would have killed him in dug out..I cannot believe what I saw and don't forget his gaffe in Outfield that also cost a run... Outrageous..WIP is killing him..Now I want you to know and I posted many times that I love his game..You know I like showmen..But to dog it is inexcusable..Kapler said the right things after game....And after Dutch beat his butt Lenny would have thrown a couple of shots in...Outeffinrageous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hope he sits tonight...But again because we so many pitchers he may not......
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:51 pm

Joe, I missed the part of the game where Crawford was pinch hit for, but I did see a tweet from Onley about Crawford being hit by a foul ball in the dugout... was that the reason?
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Tue Apr 17, 2018 4:25 pm

Absolutely not C..A manager's decision...He wasn't happy....We got Eflin going tonight at Lehigh..Another name to keep on Is Arauz at Reading, a 23 year old that is emerging fast.

We have a kid named Parkinson for Lakewood...An Ole Miss star that is drawing notice... It is freezing cold though...I hated playing in cold..Its awful out....
joe c

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Droppings