Phillies 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies 2018

Postby bluehenbillk on Thu May 17, 2018 8:35 am

joe c wrote:A open question to the phillies posters With Crawford and Eichoff due back soon what do you do? Tough decisions for sure..When they come back you have to do something...Do send down Crawford, Kingery or Florimon? Who goes when Eichoff come back after a couple of rehab starts.

I think the answer to that starts today. Each VV start is under the microscope. He's the most likely starter to be affected by Eichoff's return. If he can't prove consistency I think they look to move him finally to a bullpen role.
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby UDPat on Thu May 17, 2018 9:48 am

1st off, The Ben Lively experiment should be over. He's off my 40 man when I decide to add someone. He's a poor mans Eichoff.

While He may have a short lease, I am not ready to remove VV from starter to an already crowded bullpen. I'd like to see a little more from Efflin but right now, He's my odd guy out. He is the most impacted by the recent weather issues. 2 weeks from now, my opinion may change.

I know they love Florimon's versatility but He's my odd guy out. I believe Crawford's throwing issues was caused by what has him on the DL. While He has been up and down at the plate, I am giving my No.1 pick a little more rope. Kingery has struggled but I feel He will get it figured out.

Just glad I had more faith in Franco than most. He's different this year.

The bottom line:

These are good issues to have, especially when it comes to pitching. I would have to believe that come July 31 we have some excess relief pitchers that may be used as trade chips if we decide to become buyers but only if we are still in a good spot as far as playoffs.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu May 17, 2018 8:04 pm

note to Phillies fans - your pitching staff is quietly turning out to be one of the best in baseball, shhhh ... dont tell anyone I said that
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby joe c on Fri May 18, 2018 8:41 am

Pat I agree with you and Eflin is gong to be mad and I would be to... Meanwhile Lively just threw a one hitter... We also have Arano ready who goes for him? Lively will stay on 40 Pat...Crawford to Clearwater,,This one is tough...

Ok C you said Kap is to buy the book... How about last night in the 9th,,4 2 Florimon up w runner on 1st no outs..A clear cut bunting situation...Mac And Krukk talk about the obvious bunt.. All except he swings away and pops a tater..His first since 2013..The guy is making all the right moves against the book C....

Their pitching has been phenomenal.. Have to get more offense...They need a middle off the order bat..They are last in runs scored despite 2 games where they totaled 35 runs I believe....

Hoskins is a mess right now guys..If you watch close enough he is getting busted inside w heat then w 2 strikes gets popped w a low and away slide ball. If he takes it then right back to up and in heat... He is late getting his foot down,,, He must adjust..Kingery is totally lost.....Need both these guys to figure it out...I am more concerned w Kingery at this point...
joe c

Postby UDPat on Fri May 18, 2018 9:51 am

Lively a great AAA pitcher, it just doesn't translate well to the bigs.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat

Postby Caribbean Hen on Fri May 18, 2018 5:34 pm

Joe, baseball could use a revised copy of the book, who wrote the book, when was it published?

was it written in the dead ball era when everybody got excited about moving a runner along for an out..... No thanks. the math doesnt add up for me in todays power game....

besides, my feelings are hurt that nobody laughed at my computer boy are you going to go for it joke with beautiful picture.... :D what does a Puerto Rican gotta do for a laugh

How about VV, he had that little xtra zip last night, funny how his previous game he was throwing a very effective downward breaking curve, and last night it was the #1 all night long......

Phillies pitching is how good? better than Atlanta right now

I agree with UDpat on Lively, not that excited..... Floriman has earned more playing time but he might not look the part if you know what I mean.... that's not a fair insinuation though, Phillies have Latinos everywhere except LF and RF
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Fri May 18, 2018 8:58 pm

The book was written by a guy named Common Sense and has held up well for decades,,, Power numbers? Explain the Phillies...How do we do that...Baseball ain't football...In the year 2424 when man is still alive, pitching will win games...I am not a bunt guy either but its smart solid fundamental baseball..Get em over get em in...Thats just it C last night was a clear cut by the book bunting situation..I liked what he did and liked his explanation even better....

Man we have pitching....Lively w another good start Sixto rounding into form...None of us has come up with a plan...So who goes?/ Is a move (trade) coming?

Watching Braves as rain wreaks havoc....
joe c

Postby joe c on Sun May 20, 2018 7:26 am

This team is living proof what pitching does..The have an inconsistent offense,,They play less than average defense..The run the bases poorly yet they are in a battle...Their pitching numbers are off the chart..Last night Eflin was a victim of poor defense and shaky umpiring in regards to balls and strikes...they still won a game...Here is what we do have....Odubel!!!!!!....What a character...Hey C did you see the bat flip...lolol. UHOH...Sloppy Sloppy but it counts..Nola today...They were talking bout Phillies during Yankee game...

Rain causing issues on the farm but Irving continues his mastery w 6 shutout...At Lakewood Young the 6'10 lefty made his debut C pitching 5 or 6 shutout innings..Another pitcher on the horizon and he is a south paw...Starting where he left off last season.... Some one has to be moved to Clearwater...Howard goes today.... A move of some sort has to be coming.....What a staff....

Fun team to watch play. even they they can make you pull your hair out....
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun May 20, 2018 10:25 am

you bet I saw Oddies little bat flip Joe, like you've been saying he is one player you don't want to miss.... NL MVP?

Kapler is rotating players and it's working so far, as long as the keep winning nobody will be upset

besides, long season and these players play hard ... gotta keep people fresh mentally and physically

Today I would give Hoskins a day off, dont start him but he will be available for PH of course

Santana, although he hasnt gotten to .200 yet, is helping to stabilize a struggling line up, Phillies are gritty

Down on the farm
Ian Anderson, the Braves first rounder out of HS from the 2016 draft, keeping pace with Sixto, both play in the FSL
He has had some rought starts this year but the last 2 much better
ERA down to 3.19 with 45 K'S in 36 IP

Austin Riley holding his own after his advancement to AAA
.306 avg after 49 AB
3 Homers
just turned 21 last month

if this one is as good as advertised the Braves are set as long as they can come up with enought money to pay all these guys...

Update - Joey Bautista is released, for now it's Camargo... Braves will have a decesion to make on Riley

if not ready other trade possibilites are Beltran, Davidson and Moosetaukus... and Manny
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Sun May 20, 2018 11:10 am

I beg your pardon Mr C on a couple of fronts....For the 175th time UNLESS MANNY IS WILLING TO SIGN A TRADE AINT HAPPENING... AN HE WOULD BE A FOOL....Besides even if it was The Braves don't have 200 or more million....

two Williams isn't happy at all and I don't blame him...They are winning C no one will rock the boat...If they start sliding the boat will get rocked... Santana????????????????????????? He is hitting 180 2 months in....Is that what 16 million a year gets you..... It is a productive 180 though lol...He also hasn't exactly lived up to his defensive prowess either..He is also a base clogger...

I posted what Hoskins is doing wrong..A day off I think as well may be in order maybe even 2..

Great to see Kingery get a big triple but even in doing so a bad swing...He was way out in front but kept hands back...but still good to see....

Florimon is a better option than him right.....

A lot of great things are written on Riley....Your right Braves have to do something.... Even if Machado was under contract the Braves would be looking for a stop gap w Riley on deck...There must be a reason they haven't called him up C..Given the success of their other youngsters one might think they would give him a shot

kendrick out for year...Nats having no luck....
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun May 20, 2018 2:14 pm

Joe, in reference to Santana, youve said it, Phillies biggest problem is going to be scoring runs

over the past 14 days he has 16 RBI's, 5 homers, without him it could be even uglier, he might only hit .220 this year but opposing teams have to respect him, he is a prescence in the batting order and right now the Phils only have one other one.... The front runner for the MVP Senior Herrera
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Sun May 20, 2018 2:30 pm

C, Did you see the effort by Inciarte... Aw man he hit hard....He can play for me any day.
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun May 20, 2018 4:13 pm

joe c wrote:C, Did you see the effort by Inciarte... Aw man he hit hard....He can play for me any day.

I did not Joe, tell me the inning because I want to go back see...

By the way, the Nats have recalled Juan Soto, all of 19 years old, who I've been talking about all year to the Majors, I love the move.... it might be just for a looksee or might be for 20 years.... I can't wait to see how he does

Nationals top outfield prospect Juan Soto will be promoted by the team Sunday, a source tells MASN Sports' Byron Kerr.

Howie Kendrick suffered an Achilles injury in Saturday's game, and with the Nats already ailing the team is making a big move in promoting one of the best players in the minors. That player, Soto, is just 19 years old and won't turn 20 until late October, but the outfielder is hitting a ridiculous .362/.462/.757 with 14 homers, 52 RBI and 33 runs scored across three minor league levels. The team isn't burning his redshirt to have him sit on the sidelines, so grab Soto where available and hope that he finds the major league level as easy as he's found every other level of professional baseball thus far.
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Sun May 20, 2018 6:24 pm

How bout them Braves... I was watching them instead of bad Philly baseball...6 runs in 9th..This team is for real...They need a starter C and more time for Riley... Phillies continue to play bad baseball...Horrible play again by Santana..Bad decision again by Hernandez bad tag by Kingery, To say Santana has been a disappointment is an understatement...Ricky Bo candid on Kingery...."He should have been sent down last week"... Hoskins swung much better..Bo pointed out that he is hitting off his ankle though....Not staying balanced..Said he has never seen that before,,,OUCH...there it was right on film..On his follow through he is rolling his foot on his ankled...Has too be corrected... Bo didn't miss...
Completely overmatched offensively... This team lives on pitching alone..If that ever fails they are in serious trouble...I am surprised by how poor they Are defensively...

C I do not remember the inning it was early I think maybe the 4th...He didn't catch it but he sure gave a herculean effort....
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sun May 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I had already chalked it up as a loss Joe, I just saw the Inciarte play.... the play hard these days indeed.

Did you see the 2 kiddies Acuna and Albies hugging each other in the dugout ..... the give the team youthful enthusiam.... not a bad thing

One note - these walk off celebrations are getting pretty stupid... only a matter of time before somebody get's hurt...... smear the queer is not something you should be playing if you are a MLB player, too much to lose if you tear up a knee post game running around the field like a chicken with your head cut off.... just dumb
Caribbean Hen

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Droppings