Phillies 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies 2018

Postby Youdee Blues on Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:49 pm

Don't look now Joe, but Kingery is back in the 3 spot tonight. :oops:
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:12 am

Juan Soto with 2 homers last night - the second one is a must see..... kid is special.... give the youngster a beer..... whoops not old enough

Braves rookie Sorako comes off the DL and carves up the Mets with laser like percesion, but the Mets are horibble right now

Kingery back in the three hole? this just shows how much the Phils need a bat......
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby joe c on Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:30 am

And he K'ed 4 times..Looked awful..Continues to wave at an outside bender... Another abysmal offensive performance... Pivetta had squat and that is 4 in a row..Oddy takes a seat...

At Clearwater Hasselt w 3 hits Lovera w a strong start..
At Lakewood Stewrt w 7 shut out k'ing 9 ERA now 1.13
At Lehigh Liebrandt w a nice start...
joe c

Postby joe c on Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:58 am

The Phillies actually hit the ball led by Hoskins..Oddy managed 2 hits but more importantly his AB's were better. VV was masterful despite he had to many 3 ball counts. Second time the staff has ventured into the 6th with a Nono..Good Game all the way around..

On the farm....
Lively w nice start and Meneses continues his Torrid hitting w 2 more hits...
Clearwater...The Mickster!!!!!!! w 3 hits 3 RBI's
Lakewood... Brito 3 more hits really heating up. but Young gets racked...
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:47 am

bluehenbillk wrote:Nola - another double digit K performance - guy is a true ace.

Seranthony Dominguez is still hiding Kapler’s poor managing. The 9th inning should be his. Period. Why wait until bases are loaded and no outs? Cmon man, I see youth league coaches do the same thing and then ask one of my two kids to step in and bail the team out. You’d think Kapler would have something on a youth travel team coach, but, maybe he doesn’t.

is it just me or does Kapler resemble a dearly departed Delaware football coach, sunglasses and all......... :D

Kingery actually slapped a curve out into CF for a hit yesterday, it was a hanger up in his eyes but he hung tough on a few good breakers yesterday.... Kingery is working thru this as the ML level which tells Phillies fans about what they have on the farm..... I'm not for sending him down anyway...

Crawford is looking like he can contribute, no qualms at all about sending the all mighty Galvis packing.... .227 with 3 homers :oops: the Mark Belanger era is over in MLB.... once the Phils get De Los Santos up for a looksie the work order for the statue of Galvis will be shelved forever ...

Hoskins bat coming alive now, at least it would be a boost if he continues to hit

Joe, what is up with Cesar..... started the season on fire and hasnt been heard from in a month or more....

VV is kind of like the Braves version of Folty from a few years ago, has electric stuff but just not able to put it all together on a consistant basis, when VV is on he is really on......
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:28 am

All good observation..Only one debatable is Galvis...He wouldn't be hitting 227 here..No one here would downplay his defense..He is a Gold glover C...Defense is just as important as offense it really is...Take it from a slick fielding no hit short....
We have another short named Gamboa opening eyes.....You can't send Kingery down and I agree w you...Your not going to see benders down there..He must learn it here..His stroke when he swings right is gorgeous...Simply put he has to learn to hit anything that bends and learn to stop swinging at bad pitches..As Schmidt says. "If you can't hit it take it"...

You are not the first one to say that about Broxck and Kapler...lol

C, I have mentioned several times we have nothing on the farm....Now all of a sudden Joey Menesses has put him self on the radar..We stole him from Braves..He is a strapping 6'3 w power. He plays first base....He started very slow and has turned it on..His numbers over last month are staggering....He is still only 26 and a shot should be forthcoming...
Hassley also has been raking....The Mickster coming alive but still showing no power..
Randolph as you predicted has been a flop so far...On the flip side. The baby bomber is showing signs...Mike's boy Brito has raised his average over 100 points.. Muzioti was still hurt, kid can fly so you know I like him...So a couple of names have snuck in the circle..

As for as pitching goes this team is loaded!!
The Phillies really like a Venezuelan an 18 year old Named Francisco Morales..6'3 power pitcher and a international sign..He will makes his debut shortly...

However all this is good but we need a bat even if its a stop gap....Computer Boy you are the hot seat...You gotta give to get...Anybody but Sixto...C I think we got something very special...When I watch him he blows me away... I have same feeling I had when I first saw Rollins at Clearwater...You just knew....
joe c

Postby joe c on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:41 am

That might be one of the worst displays of Major League baseball I have ever witnessed in my life...What a disgrace...First and I have been saying and saying it. Defense Defense Defense....OMG it iw even worse than I thought...It is not just the errors it is plays that should be made that are not... Then for third start in a row Arrieta had squat...He had good velocity but couldn't locate it..He was squeezing his curve to tight. His slider was up and spinning nowhere...He looked like a triple A pitcher from the start..They were squaring him good...Again he is nothing like the pitcher he once was...And again we are seeing why he sat on the open market....This looks like a team heading to 4th not first...Playoffs Playoffs. lolololll....
The offense after a one day breakout is right back...What is up with Franco... Yeah thats what I would do....sit Franco when your offense is this bad,,,Take at least some semblance of a bat out..Arde they showcasing Crawford?

Hey C what were you saying about Galvis? I'll take his 227 over the slop we watched last night....kingery ain't a shortstop...that simple...227 is 20 points higher than 210 brother....and 30 points higher than Crawford at the Mendoza line... Arrieta needs to find his array of benders quick...At least Oddy and Hernandez are showing signs of coming out of their 3 week funk....Hoskins and Kingery need to wake up...The honey moon is over....
Ugly Ugly Ugly......

We were handcuffed by a stiff who has 1 quality start in his 28 starts...ONE.... Who has pitched into the 7th one time..Are you kidding me...He just way out pitched a 75 million dollar man...lol...
Last edited by joe c on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 am

holy smokes, who was bad mouthing Galvis yesterday? :oops: 5 for 5 with a homer to take out the Braves..... Wow, didnt now Freddy was reading gohens

Loaisiga ...the starter for the Yanks last night started the year in the FSL, Advanced to AA and last night debut in Yankee Stadium was very impressive, 23 year old out of Nicaragua

why do I mention this, because what this confirms for me is Moniak is still a player that can one day contribute at the Major League level and also tells us that the FSL is a league with alot of talent

Moniak with 3 hits last night, one thing to remember about him is he basically could of been a soph in college playing in the CWS right now, he is still young and the FSL is full of future major leaguers

Haseley is hitting the ball - he should be moving up pretty soon, but not the Phils way I guess

Sixto has some inflamatoin in his elbow.... hmmmm, scary stuff, but again if Loaisiga can get major league hitters out, no reason to believe Sixto cannot do the same ..... you cant overcook these players in the minors..... pitch em while they can still pitch, if Sixto was 100 % I would promote him to the Majors right out of the FSL..... if just for a looksie if nothing else......

Joe, let's not talk about Jake Helter Skelter Arrieta..... just ugly in more ways than one.... oh lordy, why is Kingery playing SS and Crawford at 3B? Flip em....
Caribbean Hen

Postby joe c on Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:30 am

Great question C...I wish I knew the real answer...Kingery is not a short....Its just not the errors it the plays he doesn't make...Your right in that we may have stolen a pitcher for Galvis..It doesn't matter what he hits..He is one of best defensive shorts in game...Crawford your prize prospect is playing third....huh....He doesn't hit enough to play third...He needs to be at short and Franco at third....Kingery is lost at the plate...Hernandez is your second baseman....We need to make a move for a bat. We need an outfielder.....I have been saying for years the Phillies wait to long to moved these kids....Computer boy is a joke....We sign an average at best First baseman for 48 million when Hoskins is your first baseman...He is awful in left field...The average fan doesn't realize how important defense is...Take it from a better than average short.. I used to love when an ump would come up to me and say "great play short". Your teammates would nod to you....You are the quarterback C....It its every bit as important as a big double...You save runs....Of Course the double got the headlines...Very frustrating.....

I warned everybody that Arrieta is not the pitcher he once was...Still can be good but not a 1...He was awful last night but yes victimized by his defense....
joe c

Postby HENJOHN on Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:04 am

Joe, I don't think anyone was thinking Arietta was in his Cy Young form but the team needed a reliable Vet starter and an inning's eater and they got one. He's pitched some pretty good baseball for us and I would expect his best this year is still to come.
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby joe c on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:35 am

Yeah for 75 million J. Reliable aint worth 75 million brother... Like I said there was a reason he sat open market. I know what I saw last year...What are they going to do with him in year three when they are on the hook for 25 million...I also said he is still a good pitcher... His last three have been awful. Yes I expect him to right the ship...We are holding back young guns in Santos and Irving...They will be deserving of a shot shortly....Lets hope he isn't hurt and not saying anything....He isn't the problem J....We need a bat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Defensively we are the worst in baseball and that also has to change and very quickly....Since his velocity was very good last night I don't think it is injury...
joe c

Postby HENJOHN on Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:02 pm

It isn't my money Joe and if your honest you gotta admit he should have several more wins. If we didn't sign him people would be complaining we didn't make a move
[
HENJOHN

UD Class: 1981

Postby joe c on Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:07 pm

75 million... Again what will you do with him in year 3 when that 25 handcuffs you,,,,Throw in the 16 computer gave Santana... Thats 41 million..Its going to hurt us..Trust me J...I expect him to fix it this year no doubt and at least be useful...If your a fan of the Phillies it is our money... When they cannot sign what they need they become a lessor team....No one is going to pick up either so money remains on books..My guess is neither will be on roster...
Did you watch him other night....OUCH....It isn't all bad...His velocity was good...He has 5 days to get his secondary stuff right..

How about Kap pinch hitting for Eflin who had a good pitch count and dealing and winning mind you when every one knew they would walk Franco...Unbelievable...Tommy Green beating it upon now....I believe he had thrown just 73 pitches...
joe c

Postby UDForever on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:26 pm

Have to respectfully disagree Joe. I love you man but People on this board were complaining about the Phillies being cheap. We go out and get him and Now the Arrieta deal was a bad deal? If we didn’t get him people would be complaining that we were cheap and didn’t get him, we needed another pitcher, etc. He’s been struggling lately but they needed another pitcher and a veteran pitcher at that. Middleton will spend and this deal will have no impact on getting other guys.

We will spend this off season trust me. Middleton is only so patient.
UDForever

Postby joe c on Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:45 am

No problem Mike but I don't see where I said we shouldn't have got him...What I said he is not the pitcher he was and he is not...I actually said he is still a good pitcher...What I am saying in year three it could be a bad deal...My bet is he wont be on the roster but we are still on hook for the big cash...We wont be able to trade hime unless another team takes his contract,.same for Santana....A pitcher of his magnitude is certainly showing signs of age already...I also said his velocity was very good which tells me he is healthy...He will have to work it out..The other day he threw 107 pitches in the 5th...That is unacceptable..He was not locating his heat and his curve and slider were in a word terrible. He has been bad and his numbers show this...Other players are emerging...At some point we are going ti have give Santos and Irving a shot.
The amount may stop us from picking up a player.. There is a cap and no matter how much Middleton wants or will spend this and Santana's contract may prohibit that....Just thinking ahead Coach...I certainly hope he rights the ship....Like I said I want more than reliability for 75 million...I think you would agree that his last three starts are well below that you would expect... If we had to win a must game he would not even be my second choice right now....Thats just me.....It will be interesting to watch his next game to see if he has made adjustments..What I see is he is getting under his slider and squeezing his curve..He seems to be pitching up hill to me...He is pitching behind in the count....Do I think he will regroup? Yes I do....Do I think they had to do something....Yes I do..But I Warnibg you in year 3 this
contract will be an issue...I would think Mike that you would want more than reliable for 75 million...I know I would..There were pitchers available for much less that they could have got...As it is turning out the guy that they should have targeted wasn't;t even a pitcher but Yelich...

Ps don't even get me started on what Kap did yesterday....
joe c

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Droppings