Phillies 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies 2018

Postby joe c on Thu Jul 12, 2018 7:42 am

Good Ball game as it is no embarrassment getting shut down by Degrom.. VV was the best I ever saw him... I have to wonder does Kap believe we what he says..This guy is something else..On Knapp's horrible base running blunder he says "he was being aggressive". HUH? No Kap it was a bad play.. We failed to score the first run when Santana failed (although he tried) to move Oddy to third...Williams then hits long fly that would have scored Oddy...Now many would say they would have still lost on the walk off..However if we were winning 1 0 the pen would have been handled differently and Domingo would have been pitching the 9th...Cant win them all and Degrom is fantastic...Off to Camden Yards for tonights make up 6.05 start...Pivetta on the hot seat...Hopefully he doesn't like Lehigh....

But the worst comment of all was when Kap was asked if Phillies need a bat He says". No we have everything we need in this clubhouse". Yeah ok Kap thats why we are last in defense and near last in offense....Our starting pitching is keeping us in a race...
Get us help Mr Klentak...

Mr C how about the awful replay review that hosed the Phillies. Like you said they still can't get it right...Evey single humanoid saw the ball hit the ground except the powers to be...Incredible
joe c

Postby UDForever on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:20 am

Big difference between being aggressive and being stupid. Last night was just downright stupid.
UDForever

Postby joe c on Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:52 am

Whats worse Coach is the play was right in front of him..He was out by 15 feet... Kap is really ridiculous sometimes...Aggessive is stretching a single getting thrown out trying to steal not killing an inning in a tough game...Absolutely inexcusable as we discussed last nigh...Boy would I love to have Degrom...He has to want out...

Kruk reported Yankees are now hot and heavy after Machado...
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:31 pm

Joe, a few more thoughts on Galvis

the game is changing before our eyes, it's becoming all or nothing meaning Homeruns or batters striking out

strike outs are off the charts - when batters are whiffing the SS is watching.... not making plays

this means less ground balls

this means less value for a slick fielding SS such as Galvis... I will have to check the stats on assists from the SS position but I would
bet it has decreased considerably over the past years.....

it was actually you who told us several years ago about his pathetic on base % and he has not gotten any better, he has been very consistant
at stiking out

for a SS that only has 4 Homers and to have that many whiffs in not getting it done... he needs to change his approach but never has

on De Los Santos, I agree with almost all you said, Santy has the up right now as batters have never seen him compounded by that weird delivery

nope, never seen a short armer like that

will be interesting to see what happens if he sticks in the bigs for a while and after a few rounds through the league as batters will adjust

I like De Los Santos and would not even think about sending him back To San Diego for Galvis..... to much up side and weve already seen the best of Galveston

would the Phils be better with Galvis this year? great question and one a point I knew you would make :D
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby joe c on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:03 pm

HUH????????????. Simple as this. The Phillies right now would be a better team w Galvis playing short...What did the game change for just Freddie...R u kidding men C. Its very easy..They are producing the exact same offensive numbers as I type...Throw in Freddie is doing it in a pitcher friendly park and playing for a last place club as opposed to the excitent of being in a race..In terms of defense it ain't even close.... Hitting and catching hasn't changed C....What has changed the most and these ain't my words is the selfishness of the modern ball player...

Down the road if De La Santos develops it may be a steal..But right now this team would be better w Freddie... Ask the pitchers who they would want manning the position...If your worried about offense Freddie's number would be higher playing in Citizens...

Your trying to prove your point and love ya C its incorrect as of now..And now is all the matters when your in a race.

Since you brought its lets take a look at on base percentage uh oh C. another strike...
Both suck and yes the Phillies dealing him was Freddie's poor OBP. so they replaced him w a guy thats worse..

The disappointment isn't Kingery but JP and his injury...Nexy Year Kingery will be the 2nd baseman in my opinion. and that alone tells you something...The positive thing is if Crawford fails we have Kingery to play short...
joe c

Postby joe c on Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:44 pm

I'll also say this. When I first saw this kid pitch I texted Mike to check him out. Obviously his numbers are impressive at AAA...Then when I watched him pitch live, my first though was this guy is a late inning reliever w Close potential... Why? because he can't be timed in that short of a period... Take Neshek for example..You think he can be a starter? Heck no..He is successful in part because of his quirky delivery..Santos was more Dominant early in game... Short armers wreak havoc on a hitters timing...
This trade may end up being a great trade...But right now and only because we are in a race Freddie is a better option at short.. I'll say this I'd rather have Kingery there than Crawford....and again that its meant for right now...
joe c

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu Jul 12, 2018 5:30 pm

Joe notice I left the question open.... about the Phils being better this year with Galvis at short, I did not say that is not true....

as far as balls in play and less for the SS and all fielders to do, thus decreasing the value of a defensive SS if the pitcher and cather are just playing catch......

check this out..... this is how the game is changing, not necessarily for the better either, fans like hit balls......

https://blog.qlik.com/swing-and-a-miss- ... ls-in-play
from the blog
10,000 less baseballs in play? Yikes! How can that be? I went to baseball reference.com to find the data. I grabbed the team hitting data from 2009 through Monday night’s games. I created a Qlik Sense app and I used the following expression to calculate baseballs in play:
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
Caribbean Hen

UD Class: 2024

Postby joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:40 am

Thats what I meant when I posted the comment about selfishness of the player...Last night the Phillies broadcast crew showed how amazing the K rates are..They showed years that 126 k's led the league..We have guys that have that now...

Perfect example Kingery last hight had 3 hits and didn't break a blade of grass...They had what 14 hits and 2 balls were hit hard..They put the ball in play..Hopeful;l;y they learned something...They tried to give it away...As Coach Mike says nothing good happens when you K...

Definitely not for the better C. It is driving Kruk and Davis nuts..I like Schmdt's advice.. He simply says "if you can't hit it, take it"... The show where that comment was made C on MLB talked about all the reasons...Not giving themselves up to move runners, the pounding of the chest, over swinging, not choking w 2 strikes...You now have pitchers overthrowing to get the more glorified k...How about VV the other night..He pitched to contact and was masterful...

Off to Miami in first place...win a game again last night w terrible defense...
Kruk was adamant about shoring that up and actually said Phillies need to do something about their bench...

Hey C Coach Mike read something that said Phillies see Santos as a 4 or get this a late inning reliever...Thats what I see and posted before Mike informed me, a late inning reliever and right now might be a good time...
Last edited by joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe c

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:04 am

Joe- I must respectfully disagree. Better with Galvis? The Phils were a last place team with Galvis in the lineup. Today they are not. We all talk about how situational baseball and moving runners is so important, and Galvis was not good at that.

At ss Galvis was certainly a better option than what the Phils have now. Way better. But I think C has hit on a point...for some reason baseball today seems not to be about throwing out the best defense, at least right now. Somehow this putrid defense has found itself in first place. Crazy as it sounds, these numbers guys may have something figured out in what it takes to win in today's game. I'd wonder if a poor D can win in October though. I doubt it.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

Postby joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:08 am

I wont even honor that w a comeback Mr Youdee..Except for the obvious. Nola Arrieta elfin VV Pivetta..Domingo, a whole year of Hoskins. Are you elfin serious.. Kingery wont even be at short next year...Offensively their numbers are simliar and Galvis is playing in a much more difficult offensive ballpark...We wont even begin to discuss defense. Of course we already know what Arrieta thinks he said so... stop Mr Youdee it aint close...

This team would be better w Galvis at Short gimme a break and that includes if it was Crawford...He has been robbed of 2 gold gloves...Saying this was last place e\ ball club w galvis...huh. Youdee I love ya but that is one ridiculous comment.

You may have succeeded in bringing Mr 79 out of retirement. lol. How bout ya Karl...
Last edited by joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe c

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:15 am

Kingery .233 - 4hr 26rbi .617ops
Galvis .232 - 4hr 30rbi .618ops

That's what you call no difference - could stats be more equal?

You know Kingery is only going to go up & Galvis is status quo, plus we has de los Santos. #winning
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:28 am

Thats right bill but Galvis doing it in a way way more difficult ballpark and is twice the defender as Kingery w more range than Kingery will ever have..Kingery wont be the short next year...That simple...OBP Is even similar Kingery 270 Galvis 290. and again San Diego is a monstrous stadium...Lat week on MLB they showed a bad error by Kingery and Mcgrane said "You think they want Galvis back".

Like you said Bill Kingery on way up no doubt but right this moment he would be a much better option, just ask the pitchers...We already know what Arrieta thinks...

But Mr Kingery better learn to hit a deuce..You see how their pitching him. Get him leaning then bam inside heat, The young man is so afraid of that duece outside he is actually sitting on a curve..You never sit on a curve ever....You sit fastball then adjust not the other way around..Lets hope he learns...He has a gorgeous short stroke when he doesn't pull off and throw his backside out Lon the deuce..... He is learning on the fly and that is difficult..Bottom line he wont be the short next year...Both play the game right both Are excellent clubhouse guys...I am talking right now...not next season or year after but right now and we somehow find ourself in an race because of starting pitching...No\ because of Kingery playing short...laughable...
Last edited by joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
joe c

Postby bluehenbillk on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:32 am

We can all hope Machado is at short next year!
No one likes us we don't care
bluehenbillk

UD Class: 1991

Postby joe c on Fri Jul 13, 2018 8:44 am

bluehenbillk wrote:We can all hope Machado is at short next year!

Now your talking William... Even if not Kingery will be your second baseman...not short

I remain skeptical of that happening..Being a long time fan I just can't help it...but remain hopeful...If that happens we then can potenntially hide Crawford'ss bat at 3rd...
joe c

Postby Youdee Blues on Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:06 am

Joe - You can certainly disagree. I didn't say that THIS was a last place club with him. Go back and check. Galvis played on a last place club in each of his years. He contributed to that. Some comparison may be in order:

In Galvis' first year starting at age 25 for the Phils he batted .263 with 17 errors at short, and 7 hr's.....on a dead last team.
Kingery is 24 in this first year with 5 errors at short, batting .233 with 4 hr's....on a first place team.
Youdee Blues

UD Class: 1996

PreviousNext

Return to Hen Droppings