Phillies Second Half

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Henweigh on Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:09 am

It will be interesting to hear from some of the veterans this off-season who won't be returning about Kapler's management style. It's just mind boggling the number of boneheaded moves this manager makes. Sorry, but this manager is in way over his head in this league. Thinking he's kept a team together at any point is laughable.

In last night's game alone he took out Kingery before he ever got an AB. Pulling a starter before he gets an AB? That can't go over well in any clubhouse...for anybody. Also lost in the win was his move in the ninth to pull Hoskins off first base, moving Santana back to first, and inserting Florimon at SS. Why? Pulling Hoskins in a one-run game??? Santana just batted..pull him if you must adjust your defense!
It almost blew up when Florimon proceeded to produce an error to start the ninth. You've pulled your highest WAR personnel in a game that just may go to extra innings? The guy's a pinhead.

For the Phils to make another leap to success a proven manager is in order. Can you imagine the likes of a Harper, Machado, Trout (never coming here anyway), or stud pitcher agreeing to play for this guy going forward?
Keepin' it real.
Henweigh
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby bluehenbillk on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:09 pm

Henweigh wrote: Can you imagine the likes of a Harper, Machado, Trout (never coming here anyway), or stud pitcher agreeing to play for this guy going forward?


You sound like JoeC
Delaware Football 1889-2013
User avatar
bluehenbillk
 
Posts: 10906
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
Location: Home is where the heart is
UD Class: 1991

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Gannonfan on Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:38 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Henweigh wrote: Can you imagine the likes of a Harper, Machado, Trout (never coming here anyway), or stud pitcher agreeing to play for this guy going forward?


You sound like JoeC


I'm not worried about the manager and if he'll scare folks off. Baseball guys care about one thing - getting paid. The Phillies have money, they'll be able to land a big fish.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
User avatar
Gannonfan
 
Posts: 8672
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
Location: Harleysville, PA
UD Class: 1995

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby UDForever on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:43 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
bluehenbillk wrote:
Henweigh wrote: Can you imagine the likes of a Harper, Machado, Trout (never coming here anyway), or stud pitcher agreeing to play for this guy going forward?


You sound like JoeC


I'm not worried about the manager and if he'll scare folks off. Baseball guys care about one thing - getting paid. The Phillies have money, they'll be able to land a big fish.


This.
UDForever
 
Posts: 3992
Joined: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:09 pm

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Henweigh on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 pm

The Sixers have tons of money too. How's that working out with the big fish?
Keepin' it real.
Henweigh
 
Posts: 1560
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby UDPat on Mon Sep 24, 2018 12:43 pm

While it has certainly been a disappointing last 40 games for the Phils,

I'd like to give the Braves a lot of credit. They deserve to be the NL East Champs
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Youdee Blues on Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:27 am

And there it is! 3rd place has finally been achieved. Boom!
Youdee Blues
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Lewes, DE
UD Class: 1996

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Hens79 on Thu Sep 27, 2018 9:48 pm

Surprised how few comments about the Phillies' collapse.

It is top to bottom from Computer Boy to Kap to everyone on the team but Nola. Some said they were "ahead of schedule and kids like Kingery and Crawford "would be ok" and that guys like Gold Glove Galvis (13 HR (in homer unfriendly SD) 66 RBI and .247 BA ... Ouch) were blocking these future stars. Hum, hum, hum ....

They are totally lost in the woods. It starts with Computer Boy's rediculous moves that began with getting Santana (after the fans howled when he said they wouldn't spend this year) at a position Hoskins should have been playing and then the later moves like adding Bour another 1B and retread Bautista. It just might be coincidence, but the team went into the tank shortly after those "bold" moves. But "to be fair" getting rentals like Cabrerra and Ramos was good as SS (already discussed) was so poorly manned and Alfaro while being a decent hitter and having an excellent arm is a terrible receiver. He boxes pitches, even strikes and looks like he was never taught how to block a ball in the dirt.

And now to Kap. He coaches like he is in Little Leage. Does he get a bonus everytime he makes a double switch? Heck, guys have been taken out before they even bat or only bat once. He manages like a robot with a laptop going with the "analytics solution " 99 percent of the time. I even heard him say he started someone because their swing angle matched up with the opposiimg pitcher's delivery angle? RUFKM? The starters get yanked early only to go to a lousy bull pen. The line up is different almost everyday. And I am sure I am not alone in saying that I hope we neve have to hear the word "resilient" again.

Now to the rest of the team beside the SS position. I don't think anyone is safe beyond Nolan and Hoskins although even Hoskins with his supposed incredible "approach" at the plate is down to the .240s. Of course Santa and his .220 something average is safe because no one will touch him for $20 million/year as no one will with Arietta and and his $25M/year, although I was ok with giving Arietta a shot .... Especially since the Phillies got him "on their terms" ... LOL

Anyway, this team is a long way from being a contender. They need help everywhere. They have a #1 in Nola and a #4 in Arietta and that is about it for starters. I didn't take the time to dig up my post from earlier in the season, but I have long ago seen enough of Pavetta and Valesquez. And no need to comment on the obvious failings of the bull pen including the obvious need for a closer. How can you play an entire season without one?

What a mess. The best we can hope for is the Phillies can do what the 76ers haven't been able to do after their very long crash and rebuild processes; and that is land a free agent superstar or two like Harper and/or Machado. We'll see with that.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And if they end their 8 game losing streak and sweep the already clinched Braves they can get back to .500 so some can talk about the improvement they made ......
Hens79
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 am
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Gannonfan on Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:39 am

The Phillies aren't a train wreck, they just need to hit a whole lot more. They have zero offense, and as a result of that they are boring to watch. I'm actually ambivalent about Kapler, baseball managers don't really get me riled up one way or the other. But bottom line is they have to hit a whole lot more than they did this year. They really aren't that far away from being a 90 win team, but you can't expect to make that jump hitting as poorly as they did this year.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
User avatar
Gannonfan
 
Posts: 8672
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
Location: Harleysville, PA
UD Class: 1995

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby UDPat on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:25 pm

Hens79 wrote:Surprised how few comments about the Phillies' collapse.

It is top to bottom from Computer Boy to Kap to everyone on the team but Nola. Some said they were "ahead of schedule and kids like Kingery and Crawford "would be ok" and that guys like Gold Glove Galvis (13 HR (in homer unfriendly SD) 66 RBI and .247 BA ... Ouch) were blocking these future stars. Hum, hum, hum ....

They are totally lost in the woods. It starts with Computer Boy's rediculous moves that began with getting Santana (after the fans howled when he said they wouldn't spend this year) at a position Hoskins should have been playing and then the later moves like adding Bour another 1B and retread Bautista. It just might be coincidence, but the team went into the tank shortly after those "bold" moves. But "to be fair" getting rentals like Cabrerra and Ramos was good as SS (already discussed) was so poorly manned and Alfaro while being a decent hitter and having an excellent arm is a terrible receiver. He boxes pitches, even strikes and looks like he was never taught how to block a ball in the dirt.

And now to Kap. He coaches like he is in Little Leage. Does he get a bonus everytime he makes a double switch? Heck, guys have been taken out before they even bat or only bat once. He manages like a robot with a laptop going with the "analytics solution " 99 percent of the time. I even heard him say he started someone because their swing angle matched up with the opposiimg pitcher's delivery angle? RUFKM? The starters get yanked early only to go to a lousy bull pen. The line up is different almost everyday. And I am sure I am not alone in saying that I hope we neve have to hear the word "resilient" again.

Now to the rest of the team beside the SS position. I don't think anyone is safe beyond Nolan and Hoskins although even Hoskins with his supposed incredible "approach" at the plate is down to the .240s. Of course Santa and his .220 something average is safe because no one will touch him for $20 million/year as no one will with Arietta and and his $25M/year, although I was ok with giving Arietta a shot .... Especially since the Phillies got him "on their terms" ... LOL

Anyway, this team is a long way from being a contender. They need help everywhere. They have a #1 in Nola and a #4 in Arietta and that is about it for starters. I didn't take the time to dig up my post from earlier in the season, but I have long ago seen enough of Pavetta and Valesquez. And no need to comment on the obvious failings of the bull pen including the obvious need for a closer. How can you play an entire season without one?

What a mess. The best we can hope for is the Phillies can do what the 76ers haven't been able to do after their very long crash and rebuild processes; and that is land a free agent superstar or two like Harper and/or Machado. We'll see with that.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And if they end their 8 game losing streak and sweep the already clinched Braves they can get back to .500 so some can talk about the improvement they made ......




Why would anyone discuss this with the little boy who took his ball and went home when things weren't going his way?? Haven't seen you post on the subject in months. Now you come out. Man, I knew they were small, your post takes small to a whole new level.
2018.....I already know I should have been named Richard
UDPat
 
Posts: 1541
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 1:45 pm

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Youdee Blues on Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:51 pm

Gannonfan wrote:They really aren't that far away from being a 90 win team, but you can't expect to make that jump hitting as poorly as they did this year.


I suggest otherwise. You didn't even point out their putrid defense. You simply cannot win games with a defense this poor and get anywhere near 90 games. The manager and his staff are a big part of placing these guys on the field to win games. And they failed. 90 wins? I think that's a stretch.
Youdee Blues
 
Posts: 869
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
Location: Lewes, DE
UD Class: 1996

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Hens79 on Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:57 pm

UDPat wrote:
Hens79 wrote:Surprised how few comments about the Phillies' collapse.

It is top to bottom from Computer Boy to Kap to everyone on the team but Nola. Some said they were "ahead of schedule and kids like Kingery and Crawford "would be ok" and that guys like Gold Glove Galvis (13 HR (in homer unfriendly SD) 66 RBI and .247 BA ... Ouch) were blocking these future stars. Hum, hum, hum ....

They are totally lost in the woods. It starts with Computer Boy's rediculous moves that began with getting Santana (after the fans howled when he said they wouldn't spend this year) at a position Hoskins should have been playing and then the later moves like adding Bour another 1B and retread Bautista. It just might be coincidence, but the team went into the tank shortly after those "bold" moves. But "to be fair" getting rentals like Cabrerra and Ramos was good as SS (already discussed) was so poorly manned and Alfaro while being a decent hitter and having an excellent arm is a terrible receiver. He boxes pitches, even strikes and looks like he was never taught how to block a ball in the dirt.

And now to Kap. He coaches like he is in Little Leage. Does he get a bonus everytime he makes a double switch? Heck, guys have been taken out before they even bat or only bat once. He manages like a robot with a laptop going with the "analytics solution " 99 percent of the time. I even heard him say he started someone because their swing angle matched up with the opposiimg pitcher's delivery angle? RUFKM? The starters get yanked early only to go to a lousy bull pen. The line up is different almost everyday. And I am sure I am not alone in saying that I hope we neve have to hear the word "resilient" again.

Now to the rest of the team beside the SS position. I don't think anyone is safe beyond Nolan and Hoskins although even Hoskins with his supposed incredible "approach" at the plate is down to the .240s. Of course Santa and his .220 something average is safe because no one will touch him for $20 million/year as no one will with Arietta and and his $25M/year, although I was ok with giving Arietta a shot .... Especially since the Phillies got him "on their terms" ... LOL

Anyway, this team is a long way from being a contender. They need help everywhere. They have a #1 in Nola and a #4 in Arietta and that is about it for starters. I didn't take the time to dig up my post from earlier in the season, but I have long ago seen enough of Pavetta and Valesquez. And no need to comment on the obvious failings of the bull pen including the obvious need for a closer. How can you play an entire season without one?

What a mess. The best we can hope for is the Phillies can do what the 76ers haven't been able to do after their very long crash and rebuild processes; and that is land a free agent superstar or two like Harper and/or Machado. We'll see with that.

Oh well, it was fun while it lasted. And if they end their 8 game losing streak and sweep the already clinched Braves they can get back to .500 so some can talk about the improvement they made ......




Why would anyone discuss this with the little boy who took his ball and went home when things weren't going his way?? Haven't seen you post on the subject in months. Now you come out. Man, I knew they were small, your post takes small to a whole new level.


Did I get anything wrong? Anything? Or even more importantly, did you get anything right? Anything at all? Didn't think so. But that's just like you to take shots at someone then run go away when you got it all wrong. Ooops, I forgot your post when you came back to "give the Braves credit" .... LOL But that's right ... You are a hoops guys.

Also, must not have done too good at the tables with the big boys. Otherwise you would have on been here bragging about it. Talk about small. :D
Hens79
 
Posts: 2949
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:23 am
Location: Newark, DE

Re: Phillies Second Half

Postby Caribbean Hen on Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Cmon 79, you took a powder for 6 months and that's all you got :oops:

Braves at Dodgers baby!

Phillies can turn the corner quickly, all they need is a 20 year old superstar, without Acuna the Braves would be on vacation right now

SS Swanson out vs the Dodgers, ouch

Joe, your boy Foltzy take the hill tonight
I've noticed JMU and Nova fans don't seem to like Rocco, this is a good thing..
User avatar
Caribbean Hen
 
Posts: 8712
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico
UD Class: 2024

Previous

Return to Hen Droppings

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron