They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jan 11, 2019 3:04 pm

Good (and long) article here on the Sixers...

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/2572 ... hat-matter
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:42 am

1-0, and a decisive road win too boot, in the tough stretch before the All-Star break. I liked what the defense could look like last night with all three stars on the court. Keep Embiid healthy and keep rolling.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:25 am

Real nice win last night. Barkley very critical of Sixers for playing Embiid with his back hurting.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Jan 18, 2019 12:43 pm

Ridiculous J....Up 20 with 3 to 4 minutes to play and Embiid still in game..Meanwhile he was getting treatment all game...He also said the Sixers are clearly in the conversation as a top team and getting better..
Man this team can score....Fun to watch...When this team is in sync they are a unique team....Now we get word they are trying to get Noah Vorileh from Knicks....

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:16 pm

Meanwhile, Simmons chokes at the end against OKC. He had the whole lane in front of him and should have driven it in for the score or foul. Instead he passes it of to a double-covered Butler. Choked at the line then had no confidence to win it at the end. 56% too from the foul line. Elite player my arse.
Keepin' it real.

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:25 am

Simmons is one of if the most unique player in this league...He is a penetrator and distributor and yes he is elite...I totally agree on his foul shooting...Magic had no shot either and while fans may not remember neither did the good doctor...Simmons makes everyone better..He doesn't need to be a jump shooter...He is the reason the Sixers have open looks....They are in the tops in scoring in the league....His numbers speak for themselves......Good thing we brought Redisk back huh...A pure shooter that you said wasn't coming back...He is also a good defender with his length..His ability to run the floor is impressive....While you may not think he is not elite you may want to watch NBA TV because the former players sure do.....They compare him to Magic repeatedly....You are 100% correct on his free throw shooting....

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:45 am

Simmons is unique, but he does have to learn to shoot at least a little.

Regarding yesterday, the 76ers just can’t defend well enough against good teams. They have too many players that can’t cover anyone e.g. Reddick, Muscalla and McConnell. They can’t afford to have more than one on the court at a time but have to at times. At one time yesterday all three were out there together. My sons were at the game and said it was like shooting fish in a barrel. Anyway, they saw a great game and had a great time in a great environment. They (and everyone else) also saw the difference in getting Butler instead of George. Still fun to watch and good times at the arena. The 76ers are a final eight team with an outside chance to be a final four.

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:02 am

It was an entertaining game...Your right the Sixers need to do a better job defensing the Arc...Okie was quicker I thought... I know the Sixers are trying to get Vonleh from Knicks....

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:04 am

Simmons is the least of the Sixers's worries. I thought they played real well against OKC despite coming out slow. The one area where they are always going to have issues is with Redick on the defensive end. You need Redick out there for the shooting (and for a stretch there in the second quarter he was brutal on the offensive end - missed a technical free throw and couldn't buy a bucket it seemed), but when he's out there whoever he's guarding is going to try to score every time. Schroeder was having a field day going right at Redick. It's a hard one to solve, because the number of guys who are elite shooters and also elite defenders are few and far between. I think they'll be fine - OKC matches up better against the Sixers than most anybody outside of Boston. Still at the start of this stretch and they're 1-1 so far. Plenty of games to watch and critique over the next few weeks.

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:13 am

2 and 1 including the blow out of Minny....

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Jan 21, 2019 10:16 am

joe c wrote:2 and 1 including the blow out of Minny....
Yeah, I didn't count Minny since only half of their team showed up and the half that played defense apparently didn't make the flight. But it was a good win, I'll give you that.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:10 pm

Unique does not equal elite.

Can we just knock off the nonsense. Elite players don't have so many flaws you can drive a truck thru.

The "ONLY" position you can even consider him "elite" is at the PG position. If he plays the 4, He's just a very good passing 4. Sorry 16 and 10 is no where near elite 4 stats.

If you are an "elite" PG
1) You have the ball in your hands down the stretch in a close game. Strike 1 and that's a BIG strike. I'll foul him every possession down the stretch and I will win the game. 56% FT's Not elite for a PG.....Terrible for a PG
2) Keep the D honest. Can't do that with zero outside game. Now I think He's trying to expand that part of his game. On a scale to 10, I'd only give him a 3. What irked me was when they came back for this season, everyone knew what parts of his game he needed to work on, He indicated He did NOT put much effort in improving that aspect. It works against the Hawks and Wizards. He struggles so much more against quality teams.
3) 3 Pt shooting??? I'd settle for 1 attempt in a actual game.

Now Simmons can do some very special things with the ball that alot of PG's can do. His size/strength is a big plus defending other PG's. But elite status isn't easy unless you think there are 50 elite players in the NBA. If you do, :roll: :roll: :roll: .

Can Simmons be a elite? I have never said he couldn't. But He some serious flaws in his game that is keeping him from that level currently.
Can you image how terrifying it would be for a defender if He had to respect Simmons' ability to knock down an 18 footer or better yet expand out to defend against a 3 ball. Now that would be approaching elite!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:02 pm

Funny the more you talk the more u talk the more I realize you just dont know...Nonsense? Who is? lol

Maybe you should watch NBA or TNT and here more nonsense from Shaq the Jet and Barkley as well as others...I will not debate this any further as I prefer to debate w people that know what they are talking about...Yeah lets trade him....comical....No other words for it....

Struggles? lololololololl. perhaps; you should check his numbers...Not to mention they are one of the tops in the league in scoring not to mention he is an outstanding defender....You do not what that is I assume...

BTW Hows Westbrook's jump shot faring.....With you being a jump shot expert maybe he isn't elite either with his barely over 20% from 3....Maybe Okie will trade him....lolollol.....

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... way-player

Many many more

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:41 am

joe c wrote:Funny the more you talk the more u talk the more I realize you just dont know...Nonsense? Who is? lol

Maybe you should watch NBA or TNT and here more nonsense from Shaq the Jet and Barkley as well as others...I will not debate this any further as I prefer to debate w people that know what they are talking about...Yeah lets trade him....comical....No other words for it....

Struggles? lololololololl. perhaps; you should check his numbers...Not to mention they are one of the tops in the league in scoring not to mention he is an outstanding defender....You do not what that is I assume...

BTW Hows Westbrook's jump shot faring.....With you being a jump shot expert maybe he isn't elite either with his barely over 20% from 3....Maybe Okie will trade him....lolollol.....

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelphia/ ... way-player

Many many more

Joe, Like the PM's I have received, you'd come out swinging than admit you are wrong!!! No problem.

And for the last time and it will be the LAST time you put words in my mouth, "I never said I would trade him." I would listen. Big difference amigo!!!
You have no problem telling people on this board , when you think they are wrong, Right back at you, "You are WRONG"!!! He's not elite player today.
I have acknowledged what he does well. You just can't see the weaknesses.
End of discussion, with someone who has no vision to see what can He can become rather than what He is.

There's ONE and ONLY one elite player on the Sixers.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:40 am

I'll just throw my hat in to the ring and state that he has the potential for greatness, but he isn't there yet. I think the odds are pretty good that he'll become elite but he's a few years from that in my opinion. I personally wouldn't listen to any offers for him because he is very young and can only get better. And he is REALLY good at this point.

It's always puzzled me how a pro basketball player could be so bad from the charity stripe. You practice several times per week and you play 2-3 times per week, yet you can't grasp the concept that you need to use your legs for a free throw? I guess the same could be said about getting better at a 15-footer. Hard to fathom.

Too bad I didn't have the genes to reach 6'10", I'm fairly certain that I could hit 56% of my free throws. And I don't work on it. :oops:
Keepin' it real.