Phillies 2019

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
joe c

Re: Phillies 2019

Post by joe c » Tue Jun 11, 2019 10:32 am

That's the bottom line Youdee.....Pitching wins Playoff series...I read on the Phillies web page on what they needed: an outfielder relief and bench help.. No where in that article did it mention starter...HUH???????????????,,,, We definitely need a starter....now Atlanta goes and gets Keuchel....He pitched 7 last night already....Arrieta has sucked but is giving what he has....Nola stuff is still electric...Arrieta's is at times...We are giving up to many Homers.... The offense is to inconsistent...Harper continues to struggle with right handed heat....His average against hard heat 94 and above is at the dreaded Mendoza line....He is late on everything...You can see how teams are pitching him....

On the good news front Quinn got 2 hits last night and should be back next week...Ramos pitched an inning last night....Names are being tossed around....One is Adam Jones.....We have nothing on the farm....

Do you think its time to put Kingery at third and leave him alone? Its time to put him at third
So its Kingery to third Quinn to center Franco to Lehigh and Oddy to San Quentin....

I honestly think Atlanta is a better team and will win this division...Don't look now but the Nats are playing good ball...This is going to be a dog fight to the end but the Phillies need help...Lets see what Klentak has up his sleeve...The problem is we don't have the juice to get a high end starter like Bumgarner...We reportedly can get Grienke for less but would have to pick up his lucrative contract...The Phillies have said they will not go over the luxury tax so that may eliminate him...
Klentak has his work cut out for him...He doesn't have the high prospects...The last 4 or 5 drafts are getting exposed....It will be interesting...

joe c

Post by joe c » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:40 pm

As the old song goes......"Send in the clowns"....Playoffs? Playoffs?......lol....

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:44 pm

They seem to be going on the cheap as usual and just playing for a wild card spot. The analytics must be telling them to stay the course and make it to the playoffs thru the back door without spending the bucks. The all-time losingest franchise staying within their comfort zone. No way they can expect the fans to believe they're doing their best to win with this bullpen.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Baseball is a great game because just when you think you got it figured out, you don't..... Long season and far from over.....

I would not be surprised at all to see the Phillies jump right back up off the deck tonight

the Braves Lefty Sean Newcomb that is starting was sent down to AAA in April and called back up a month ago and has seen bullpen duty until tonight, he does not inspire that much confidence and is the kind of pitcher that can wake up the Phillies Bats...

The Phils still have a few prospects in the depleted farm system that will draw some major interest

say Goodbye to Bohm and or Moniak but I know the Phils will not want to part with Bohm, after that it gets pretty shallow for position players..... to get a big time closer and a serviceable starter they might just need to deal them both and a few of all those pitching prospects Joe is always talking about

Braves are on a nice run but they have issues as well
Folty, coming back off elbow injury, has been bad
Gausman has been worse
Fried, started out great but has come back to earth and good pounded last night

Soroka has been spectacular all season until his last start
Tehran has been much better than last year, it's still hard to know what you will get from him

and the Bullpen has been worse than the Phillies

so the Portly Lefty Keuschel coming in to bolster up the Braves staff and force the Phils in into the corner as they must make a move, more than one actually.

Let's see what computer boy can pull off and he just went out and got a bench player SS Miller

Note: I thought the game winner by McCann was going to be caught when it came off the bat because it was hit so high, but then remembered McCutchen was out, he catches that ball.... his injury is such a tough break for the Phils, Bruce is off to a real nice start but is as slow as the line at a Puerto Rican Burger King

joe c

Post by joe c » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:46 pm

Good point C....I got a text saying if Phillies had activated Quinn, he would have been in there and made that catch...As I posted up above I think the Braves are a better team...Plenty of ball to be played....The Phillies have taken a more of waiting for the Cavalry instead of getting help...Let see how it works out....They needed bench help and got a triple A player from Yankees because we have nothing.... Lets see what Klentak comes up with....How can a major league team not have one center fielder...Kingery needs to be put at third and left alone and go get a major league center....

Newcomb last 3 appearances have been very good...We need to stretch him out make him throw pitches....Southpaws give the Phillies trouble...As it sits this team isn't good enough....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:28 pm

Something’s not right with Nola either. This is a head scratcher.

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:49 am

Last night I texted a couple buddies that Nola doesn't have his nasty 12 to 6..It is more horizontal like a slider...Post game last night they were Bo's exact words...He said he isn't pulling downs but coming across the ball...He hasn't had command all year..He is walking guys falling behind...It is now time to worry....His ERA is approaching 5...He, as of right now is the third best starter behind Eflin and Pivetta... He was terrible last night....Velocity was even down last night....Throw in we have to get Harper and Hoskins going....Now today we have no starter...How can these things happen to a team in a race...Inexcusable..... Once again the poor drafts of last 4 or 5 years are showing..... We have squat on the farm.....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:19 pm

Then VV can only go 2 1/3 today. Spending crazy money this season must have meant let’s be crazy and not spend money on a pitching staff. This is a clusterbuck.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:15 pm

Disgruntled housewives and giggling teenage girls forming Long lines in the Philly metro area Kmart Stores Looking to return their Bryce Harper jerseys before the 90 days is up

Kmart hiring part time workers to load tractor trailers with boxes of Harper merchandise to ship it right over to the Dollar General. :mrgreen:

They gave this guy 13 years at 330 million to be the difference maker but instead he has become a in season project,
Shoulder flailing head moving the wrong way Bryce, He is hustling though hopefully he doesn’t hurt himself as it is a 162 game season and they’re going to need Bryce in September on the field and not on the disabled list

why does he want to dive into a wall down 15 to 1

I love hustle just as much as the next guy but you don’t have to be stupid about it

I think he’s just trying to do too much with all the big contract talk and he’s got himself into some bad habits and a nasty funk at the plate

I think he needs to reevaluate his whole approach, break him down and start it over again and just keep your head still

Easier said than done

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:03 am

It's weird w Harper..He doesn't do it against south paws...Hard throwing righties are eating him up..He is batting below 200 against them...If they throw mid to high 90's....He is hitting lefties nicely...The break down Ben Davis did on him was excellent...He goes into his crouch (timing mechanism) and when he come up his head turns to right field so his shoulder and hip go with his head...This is what Bo meant when he said his body is going one way and his hands another...Pitchers are busting him w inside gas then dropping a deuce off the low outside corner that he cannot reach because his body is going wrong way....Against lefties he keeps his body strong...

It may not matter as the Braves are a good team and they rake..They exploded again last night..To me they are just better....As it sits now.....Washington may also be better and we start to find out tonight.....At least Quinn is back until he gets hurt again...Lets hope he puts that speed to use and finds his stroke....The rain last night helped as it gave Bruce and JT an extra days rest..Hopefully they are ready tonight...

We need ya Big Jake...He has been awful his last several starts...
More moves are coming I would think...We need a starter been saying before a game was played....
bottom line.....we ain't going anywhere if Nola can't figure it out

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:05 am

Lets play 2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:13 am

Did you say, let's lose two?

Without changes this team is headed for third place fairly soon.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:07 pm

what changes do you suggest Youdee?

can Kaplan?

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:41 pm

As much as I dislike the guy I don't think giving Kapler the boot can save these guys.

Their struggles can be addressed in three short words: pitching, pitching, pitching.

Yes, they're struggling to score runs, but that will come around. Having a staff that can get you to the 7th and some relievers that don't fan the flames could work wonders.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:56 pm

I think it would be hard to find anybody that disagrees with any of that

I think the disagreements would come with what the Phils should do now?

Try to salvage the season by tearing down the farm system even more ?

Or Write the season off as a loss.....

Patience is a virtue and if Phillies can just right the ship over the next few weeks
Maybe they could swing a deal for a Trevor Bauer , And if they don’t The Braves just might