Phillies 2019

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
joe c

Re: Phillies 2019

Post by joe c » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:03 am

Lets hope the rest will do us good....Tough serious to open\..Throwing Pivetta vs Strasburg tonight..Nick may be running out of time..He needs a good start....It will be interesting on seeing what the Phillies do....The 31st is approaching quickly....Plenty of time but we have to win series like this....We have to get some pitching....

Bohm continues to hit and impress...Howard our top pitching prospect is back from injury and threw a gem the other night....

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:07 am

is the All Star Break finally over Joe?

you said it.... it will be interesting to see what the Phils do now......... I think they should sell..... and it's because of lack of pitching

however, if they can scrap and fight and knock a few games off the Braves lead in the next few weeks, that might change things, not to mention the Nats

Kapler said that Jake Arrieta at 85 % is better than anything they have at AAA......but we dont need Kapler to tell us that.... we know this... :D

good to hear Howard is back pitching again.... did the Phils ever say a word about why he missed several months?

Also keep an eye on the Braves, they are still vulnerable and need one more starter..... not to mention a trusted closer if there is one
Bauer
Boyd
Stroman
all rumors

If I were the Mets I would put Degroom and everyone elses minus Alonso on the trade block .... trade him while he can still pitch and reap a bounty

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Sat Jul 13, 2019 7:49 am

It sounds like ownership has admitted that they're too far away from being good enough to add just a piece or two at the deadline to make a difference. The proverbial throwing in of the towel. This isn't about waking up after the all star break and finding that you're too far away. It's about not doing enough in the off season to go after those arms that they needed. They certainly didn't get stupid with their money, they just weren't stupid enough.
So, the losingest franchise in all of sports just keeps on with their losing ways and structure. How do franchises like Boston just re-tool every year? Do they throw in the towel? Do they identify needs in the off season and just give up on purchasing them? :oops:

joe c

Post by joe c » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:03 am

Great post Youdee..They failed to address issues that I saw before a game was played...How could they go into a season with that rotation and staff in general......Mind boggling....We couldn't use Keuchal...huh....And yes as you all know now I was spot on about Corbin....No he is not setting world on fire but so much better than the slop we are throwing out there.... After a few weeks I just didn't see a team with "that look"....I debated with my buddy Mr. C who to his credit stuck by his guns but my opinion on Phillies was vastly different than his....I thought this was a 3rd place team and that was when they were in first...
As Ricky Bo said this staff is Nola and no none else...The offense is what is shocking....Thet cannot score unless they hit homers and that is way to infrequent even in the new juiced ball era...Sorry Commish stop making a fool out of yourself by saying its the same ball....Max let him know along w every pitcher in game as well as former great players...

Coach Mike also thought from beginning they were a year away...He was wrong it wil be longer than a year Coach, unfortunately....Whats worse the problem is deeper than it appears...Our farm system is bad real bad....We do not have enough horses to even think about getting rental help...That would be foolish....We could get help taking on salary like Greinke and only give up second tier help....I don't see us even doing that as one guy isn't going to help this lackluster team...

So I would unload and some names would be VV, Pivetta Franco Neshek Hunter Knapp even Hernandez Arrieta (now impossible because of injury and ridiculous contract) I warned to all who read this thread the day they signed him it was a panic move and signing a past his prime pitcher... No doubt he is a gamer but was a bad decision...
I dont even do a farm report any longer because there is nothing to report...Its that bad....We have Howard with promises, Bohm w promise umm then we have ummm then we have....Our first pick of the draft is nice cute punch and Judy slap hitter who was supposed to be fast....Heck he may even steal a base this year....Hasely was a dear in head lights slapping at the ball when he made his debut...Still has hope but certainly not any thing special...Randolph as C predicted wouldn't hit his way out of a phone booth...He was right....

Any one catch San Diego reliever Munoz last night...He was called from double A and was blistering the gun at 102...We call up slop...Its so bad we had to fill a bench spot w a Yankee farm hand as we didnt even have that...

Where was the effort last night? Disgraceful....Anyway it is a joy to watch braves and Keuchel was terrific last night...Again we couldn't use him...Think about this we haven't had a south paw starter in 4 seasons now....huh......I am livid!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jul 14, 2019 8:31 am

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:13 am

Hey joec, last night was another nail in the coffin for post season play. The pitching continues to kill the Phillies. It is so bad that an injured, 85% Arrieta needs to keep pitching because there is no one else. And McPhail the other day basically said since the Phillies don’t have a real chance to win the WS they won’t make any big moves. Tough situation that is lot of their own doing. They better turn it around starting today. I am not holding my breath.

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jul 14, 2019 10:44 am

The worst part 79 is he is right on the money,,,,As Bo said we have Nola and no one else....This under achieving offense is a mystery....We dont even have anything to sell....The whole scouting department evidently needs to be overhauled...Welcome back 79...,,I never saw this offense as being this bad....We all knew the pitching was bad except the Phillies....They gambled and rolled snake eyes...Every body is hitting homers except Phillies,,,They are hard to watch....Meanwhile Keuchal has been terrific....Harper, who plays hard, is lost at the plate...JT, a great catcher hasn't provided enough protection at the plate....Even Kingery is starting to look like last year...Your dead spot on about Arrieta (making 25 million a year BTW)....This team is in trouble...There will be big changes..I would love to see us hire Gerardi a proven winner...Kap and this staff I believe will be fired and it really isn't their fault....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:12 am

There's no turning around a boulder falling down a hill. This team needs sooo much that its now a matter of limping to a 4th place finish and adding several pieces thru free agency next year. They are in a tough spot in that the cupboard is bare in the minors so ownership has only one choice, and that's to dump pieces this year and purchase new after this season. They either spend more stupid money or you'll get more of the same bad baseball next year and beyond. Let's guess which way they'll go. :roll:

Observations:
When is Harper ever going to come up big when they really need something? Big money should give ya something every once in a while, don't ya think? Segura?

Phils' top 3 in the order go 0-10. Did any of them watch how Rendon approached his at bats? Hello? McFly?

They had chances last night to put that game away, yet nobody stepped up to extend the lead. Nobody!!

If Franco doesn't boot that grounder in the 8th then Soto doesn't see the batter's box in the 9th. Heck, Neris doesn't have to come in there either. Morgan can finish the 8th and Neris can stay fresh for the 9th.

Washington brings Soto to the plate with two out in the 9th, and the Phils bring in Knapp. Knapp, for crimminy sake!!!

The Phils bench, save for Bruce, has Knapp, Hasely, Quinn, and Brad Miller. That's not even enough fire power for a Double A squad!

Since they're not going to add pieces this year, the only spark left to give them is to show Kapler and his whole staff the door and reboot. These guys are simply going thru the motions at this point.

joe c

Post by joe c » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:41 am

You can sign my name to your post Youdee...It is bad no doubt....I can add so much more....I don't blame Kap at all but someone has to fall....Look no furthertham McPhail and Klentak.,..I would love Gerardi a fiery get in your face type who knows the game big time....He is a crowd favorite....What is up with Quinny hitting 100....How bout his play last night...Amazing...Your 100% right on Franco..Ashame because up till then he played a terrific game..aHmakes that routine play and Phillies win the game...It really came down to they couldn't asdd on...Terrible....I read some things on Segura and they were not kind...If you guys want to laugh check out Lakewood and Williamsport OMG They are bad..The good news is owner will spend but has the wrong guys making those decisions....We have to buy a team as farm system is pathetic top to bottom....

Someone has to be fall guy and it will be Kap...It ain't his fault...That said I want Gerardi a fiery in your face guy that the crowd would love....It may be time to light a fire on these prima donna's

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:50 am

One has to wonder what was going thru Harper's mind last night and these last several weeks while he's watching the Nats bringing it on versus the slop and lack of energy that the Phils are trotting out there on a nightly basis.
I wonder if he's been counting to 330 over and over in his head to remain positive?

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:30 pm

Tonight Harper may be thinking "I turned down $45 million per year from these guys for this"? This is some repugnant baseball.

Oh, and welcome back to the Bigs Mr. Ramos. Sad. So sad.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Jul 15, 2019 9:57 pm

....hey, where's my Blue Rocks schedule??

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:04 am

Thats funny J.....LOL... Was that a disgrace.... A major league team playing like that....Franco and yes is playing better but he should have been pulled out of game..It doesn't take talent to run....I couldn't wait for Bo...He didn't disappoint.."I am sick of it"...Even Kruk went off....Bo said it has to stop.....Krukl said getting your butt kicked is one one thing but not hustling is another...Bo wouldn't let up..He is a true Phillie...
That was a disgrace..This team, right now may be the worst team in National league and has been the last 6 weeks..Miami and the Giants are playing much better baseball than this under achieving malcontents...He even went after Kap for doing nothing to Franco and for his post game comments,,,,Paging Joe Gerardi.....

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:23 am

Yep, this team just doesn't have it & unfortunately there is no bench or many ready minor leaguers to displace the garbage on the major league roster.

It won't go over well in Philly but I'd look to sell in the next few weeks & I mean really sell.

Cesar Hernandez is the easiest move & truthfully should've happened last year - he's got an expiring deal and you move Kingery to second & it gives time for Haseley in CF & you can get him experience & see what you have in him.

Franco is gone too - he may have some worth with his power, but didn't do himself any favors getting ripped nationally last night for not hustling.

Let's face it though - those two names are only going to bring so many prospects and mid to low-level ones at that back, so if you want higher level or sooner major league ready return you have to dangle a better player. I dangle Hoskins - saw a great article this morning that presented the idea - he's 26, hasn't been an all-star, puts up fair numbers in the live ball era, the Phillies still control him for some time so there's no pressure to move him if the return isn't right but if you can get the right players, & the Phillies need a lot of right players I'd trade him.

They also need to decide something on Velasquez - they're trotting him out again tonight and everyone knows he's not a starter. The bullpen is a joke right now, the bench is a joke right now, the front office is a joke right now...and there you have it.
#SaveThePeeWall

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 am

Another post you can sign my name...Henandez is a nice player but its time to give Kingery a permanent position...Hoskins is another nice player but is a horrible 1st baseman...Thing is Bill it would depend on what he could bring back..The farm system is an absolute travesty....Other than Howard and Bolhm there isn't much else,, Even Bruce is falling apart..I dont see much in Hasely but your right put him out there and lets find out....Bo even attacked the farm system big time...The farm director must be fired as I posted as our last 4 or 5 drafts have yielded nothing....VV has top go with the Yankees showing interest...Pivetta doesn't belong in the Bigs.....Klentak has failed simple as that....McPhail is a joke...This bench would be bad on a good college team....Thats no exaggeration.....I would sell too just to get money off the books....We need every thing.....

As Buddy Ryan said "I would trade him for a six pack and it doesn't even have to be cold". and thats all of them....

Paging Joe Girardi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!