They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Udforever1 » Thu Oct 24, 2019 3:57 pm

Was at the game last night. Electric atmosphere. Kept saying at half wow we did not play well and still up 1. This team will bully teams this year. Biggest thing is teams have to adjust to the Sixers, not the other way around. Richardson is scrappy as anything.

What i took away from Simmons attacking the rim is that he isn’t scared to get fouled and go to the line now.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:48 am

That was ugly...for sure...Game one take away...Sixers played some serious defense...But not that good where Boston was just plain awful..23 % from 3 58%from the line not much better from the field...It was actually hard to watch some of this game...The Sixers not much better as this game looked like a brick layers convention... In one stretch 11 possessions we had 2 buckets 4 turnovers and 5 bricks and the best part is the Sixers extennded their lead...lol..Boston double teamed Embiid as soon as he got the pass,,,However that strategy opened the door for Simmons who is a penetrator supreme. Boston couldn't stop both...I said its last year when we had Redick and I am going to say it even worse...Sixers need not 1 but now 2 snipers...I also see a short bench again...Like Mike said though they didn't play well and still crushed Boston...Long season ahead and I'll take the start....Loved the spacing by the Sixers...Fantastic. Now somebody hit a shot....They called it smash mouth hoops and a much different style than last year....After one game defense was the take away for me....

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:45 am

joe c wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:48 am
...I also see a short bench again...
Where do you see the short bench? Scott, Ennis, Thybulle, O'Quinn get you to 9 deep, and then you have your pick of Korkmaz, Burke, Neto, and Milton for the 10th spot (and none of those guys are much to write home about, but you're talking the 10th spot so maybe 5-10 minutes a night - and I didn't even include Smith or Bolden). How many teams can put up a second 4 as good as that, and the beauty is they play defense like the starters so you don't get that drop-off we've had in previous years. You're right about the shooting, but they're going to forge their identity on playing bully defense and then try to bully people on the offensive end too. It won't be pretty, but it'll win a lot of games.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Oct 25, 2019 9:57 am

I get it that they're going to be more of a physical team, but if other teams pack the lane you're going to need shooters. And they don't have enough. Yup, the bench is way too short in that aspect.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Oct 25, 2019 10:05 am

Not a fan GF of the players you have mentioned..I know who they are .Heck you saw it in the first game..It was obvious the drop off....The level of play was not impressive...Put it this way, the Sixers will be making moves...I see a bench in need of improvement...We have to many guys that will get no minutes as season. marches on...Thybulle is a worker but not an offensive minded guy...He doesn't seem anything special to me...Last years draft with 3 number ones have netted us nothing as of yet....

What was Impressive was crashing the boards and Spacings Simmons creates....Richardson plays hard and had a bad night along W Harris shooting the Rock.... The Sixers have decided to play a different style and our announcers sed the word "smash mouth"....Lets see how it plays out...An ugly game and at times painful to watch...We need a couple more pieces...

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:20 pm

We’ll see how this “smash mouth” plays out. It is a total 180 from the previous years. But as alway, almost the entire 76ers fate lies with Embid and his heath. He has never been able to put together a full season and is always broken down and exhausted by the playoffs. Maybe this year will be different? Oh, and they definitely need to shoot the 3 better. No matter how much smash mouth the play, at least good three point shooting is required to be a championship team.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Nov 07, 2019 11:39 am

Guess I'm shocked there have been no Sixers updates.

Really hope Simmons is not hurt too bad.

I like some of the things the Sixers have done. No issues on the D side of things.

I do worry about the lack of 3 pt shooting. Pretty good shooters isn't good enough. They have no sniper!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:29 am

OK, here's an update. Sixers score a whopping 13 points in the 4th quarter last night and blow what was a 17 point lead at the start of the quarter. They go on to lose their 3rd straight and come limping home after a 1-3 road trip. Brett Brown still coaches like Brett Brown and can't get his team to win in the 4th quarter. No tears from Embiid this time though. :wink:
Meanwhile, the rebuilding "process" in L.A. has them leading the West at 7-1. And Boston, without Horford, leads the East at 6-1. :D

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm

Well, the Celtics have already played the Knicks twice and haven't gone out west yet (playing a single game at San Antonio as we speak). Celts only real road game so far has been the Sixers, and the Sixers looked pretty good against them. Celtics finish a real western road trip on 11/22 - post again after that and we'll see where things stand. 1-3 road trip was not great for the Sixers, but 2-2 would've been just fine and if they held on last night like they should've then they would've had that. Still, November NBA basketball, schedule now for the rest of November looks good for the Sixers, time to start piling up wins.

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:21 am

Sixers missed 30 three-pointers last night. Let that sink in a bit.

As they're made up now they are desperately in need of a shooter if they even want to get to the Eastern quarters, let alone the finals. Ten games into the season and that Superstar who supposedly practiced his outside shot during the off-season has taken exactly ZERO three-pointers. None. Zilch.

He worked on his outside shot while the center got himself into, eh-hem, tiptop shape.

Before you shoot the messenger, I'm still a big Sixers fan here but they have some serious, serious flaws to address.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am

First of all, they're going to get in the playoffs (so yes, they'll make at least the Eastern quarterfinals, which are technically the first round of the playoffs) , let's not be crazy here.

They had a crappy night. Harris literally couldn't miss more shots, too many possessions had Embiid holding the ball too long during double teams and they rushed shots at the end, and they struggled offensively all night. And guess what, they won. They had enough will power in the end to step up and pull it back, despite trailing all 4th quarter, and they won. Come April and we're looking at how many wins they have, this one's going to count as a full win and not a partial one.

Of course, they need work, but it's November NBA basketball. They load managed Horford last night and it showed. It'll show as they do that throughout the year with him and Embiid. You don't want those guys playing much more than 60 games in the regular season - save those miles for the playoffs. Brown's been real erratic with the supporting cast so that needs to be worked out - who fits best where and when. But, they're going to win a ton of games - they are just better than most teams. They're already 1-0 versus the Celtics (and we'll get a measure of the Celtics by the end of this month when they're done a brutal west coast trip) and they should still match up well against the Raptors and the Bucks, who are the real competition. NBA regular season is about staying healthy and getting ready to play come April and the playoffs. We're a long way from there, enjoy the season, the tons of wins the Sixers will have, and hope they find their best footing come April.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:20 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:45 am
First of all, they're going to get in the playoffs (so yes, they'll make at least the Eastern quarterfinals, which are technically the first round of the playoffs) , let's not be crazy here.

They had a crappy night. Harris literally couldn't miss more shots, too many possessions had Embiid holding the ball too long during double teams and they rushed shots at the end, and they struggled offensively all night. And guess what, they won. They had enough will power in the end to step up and pull it back, despite trailing all 4th quarter, and they won. Come April and we're looking at how many wins they have, this one's going to count as a full win and not a partial one.

Of course, they need work, but it's November NBA basketball. They load managed Horford last night and it showed. It'll show as they do that throughout the year with him and Embiid. You don't want those guys playing much more than 60 games in the regular season - save those miles for the playoffs. Brown's been real erratic with the supporting cast so that needs to be worked out - who fits best where and when. But, they're going to win a ton of games - they are just better than most teams. They're already 1-0 versus the Celtics (and we'll get a measure of the Celtics by the end of this month when they're done a brutal west coast trip) and they should still match up well against the Raptors and the Bucks, who are the real competition. NBA regular season is about staying healthy and getting ready to play come April and the playoffs. We're a long way from there, enjoy the season, the tons of wins the Sixers will have, and hope they find their best footing come April.
Good stuff and I agree 100% that they better have their best footing come April. Because has been proven the last 2 years....April basketball and beyond is a totally different beast than anything played prior to April.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Nov 13, 2019 12:35 pm

I get ya, but pointing out their current deficiencies is a good thing. They were one back of the rim shot from tanking that game last night. And those turnovers! Don't take it personal but as currently composed they may be playing in April but not in June. They don't need work, they need a different makeup unless things gel drastically by April. That still can happen. I get it. I'm sure they realize it, but these guys simply don't have that needed piece to put them over the hump.

Playoff teams will just pack it in and force them to shoot the long ball unless they get much better, and they probably will. I get your point. But hey, maybe the superstar will be able to shoot one of those some time before Spring to open things up too. What;s the odds of that?

I'm looking forward to a mid-to-late season pickup. It's desperately needed.

Maybe Embiid will be in game shape by then too. :oops:

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:35 pm

Gotta love this newer generation of player..."load management". omg And now we have posters repeating it. Get off my yard! :x
Keepin' it real.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Hey, just facing reality, load management is a real thing. The Spurs really developed it when they won all those titles with Tim Duncan, and then Khawi winning the title last year after doing so much load management during the year just cemented it. We could ignore it if we want to, but it'll happen anyway.