They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 pm

UDPat wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 am
Gannon,

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I'm still concerned about the playoffs. You can't play 4v5 like they did last year and expect success. I'd just like to see each Sixer reach his fullest potential, if that occurs, they have a chance.

I'd be happy believe it or not.....if that started at the free throw line but it hasn't.....yet
I agree, but I think Simmons attacking the rim more, or at least taking his guy low, will make it not be a 4v5 like it was last year. And frankly, as much as I liked JJ, it was 4v5 on the defensive side of the floor as well. Different team this year, much more complete at both ends, and much more capable of defending the wings, which is really what did the Sixers in last year (and even the year before against the Celtics). I know it was just the first game of the year, but the way they made the Celtics struggle on offense is the way this team has to win anyway. Do that enough in each series in the playoffs and we're in the Finals. They may struggle against a number of the teams in the West because the matchups aren't as nice as they are against the teams in the East, but let's get out of the East first.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Henweigh
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Henweigh » Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am

Eh-hem, another putrid loss to explain. Go ahead, sugarcoat this latest failure. :oops:
Keepin' it real.

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11309
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:15 am

No way to sugarcoat. Sixers need to change something as the year goes on or things get blown up in the summer....
Delaware Football - where the focus isn’t on winning?

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:47 am

Henweigh wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 7:22 am
Eh-hem, another putrid loss to explain. Go ahead, sugarcoat this latest failure. :oops:
Yes, it's all over. I hope we make the playoffs. No way we'll be able to beat anyone in a 7 game series. We should cancel the rest of the season and turn all the lights off. If we're not unbeatable right now there's simply no hope. Time to watch curling.

:lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Youdee Blues
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
UD Class: 1996
Location: Lewes, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:27 pm

He's got a point, oh rose-colored glasses one. They really need to start getting consistent. Either that, or find a coach who can get them past these clunkers. The top teams aren't having these type of games on such a routine basis. Second tier teams do though. I'm not concerned yet, but it definitely is starting to look like a trend.

Henweigh
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Henweigh » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:28 am

Very nice weekend by the Sixers. Roll who you've got to roll, and beat a contender to follow it up. Good to see.
Keepin' it real.

Udforever1
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Udforever1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am

Very good weekend with a tough week coming up.

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:38 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:27 pm
He's got a point, oh rose-colored glasses one. They really need to start getting consistent. Either that, or find a coach who can get them past these clunkers. The top teams aren't having these type of games on such a routine basis. Second tier teams do though. I'm not concerned yet, but it definitely is starting to look like a trend.
Sixers are what, 10-2 in their last 12? They're a half game behind Boston and Miami for the #2 seed in the East. The sky is not falling. Season starts in April, enjoy the ride.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Youdee Blues
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
UD Class: 1996
Location: Lewes, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:22 pm

Did not say the sky was falling. Even said that I'm not yet concerned.
But now that you felt the need to post, they did almost throw that game yesterday. Their play in fourth quarters with bad turnovers may just bite them in the arse as they move down the road. Hope not, or by your April timeframe they may be no better than playing the 4-5 game. That would be moving backwards

Udforever1
Posts: 209
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Udforever1 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:38 pm
Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 5:27 pm
He's got a point, oh rose-colored glasses one. They really need to start getting consistent. Either that, or find a coach who can get them past these clunkers. The top teams aren't having these type of games on such a routine basis. Second tier teams do though. I'm not concerned yet, but it definitely is starting to look like a trend.
Sixers are what, 10-2 in their last 12? They're a half game behind Boston and Miami for the #2 seed in the East. The sky is not falling. Season starts in April, enjoy the ride.
And have barely had their full lineup.

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11309
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:19 pm

Eh, you guys are just getting sucked in again. This team is still poorly coached, they have a big man that isn’t coached and is misused, they have a point guard that is ever so slowly showing slight interest in shooting outside of the paint, the bench is limited and their three point shooting is bottom third of the league.
Delaware Football - where the focus isn’t on winning?

Henweigh
Posts: 1650
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Henweigh » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:50 am

But our resident cheerleader says that it's early and that they'll magically change their play come April. So, until then, please hold off on those observations. :wink:
Keepin' it real.

UDPat
Posts: 2013
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:58 am

Henweigh wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:50 am
But our resident cheerleader says that it's early and that they'll magically change their play come April. So, until then, please hold off on those observations. :wink:
Actually I don't think the resident cheerleader has posted since before the season started. Sorry Gannon. :lol: I hope he is doing ok.

I am actually finding this thread pretty funny. It's a lot of what I said about last season's squad and I was pretty much told I didn't what I as talking about. All that plus I know I am/was very critical of one player in particular and again 12 months later, pretty much the entire planet has come around to my way of thinking. :lol: :lol:

I think this Sixers team is very good, not sure if they are good enough.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Youdee Blues
Posts: 1015
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
UD Class: 1996
Location: Lewes, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:47 am

UDPat - I'm not overly concerned at this stage either. But I am more in tune with your observations of last year that have still not been corrected by this current team. And this year they don't have a knockout/killer personality (Butler) to lead them through the playoffs to negate those issues. They simply don't take care of the ball enough to become a finalist. I really thought that Joel would come out more hungry this year and with a chip on his shoulder. Maybe that will appear come playoff time. Maybe that's about the time our boy Joe reappears too.

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9208
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:03 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:22 pm
Did not say the sky was falling. Even said that I'm not yet concerned.
But now that you felt the need to post, they did almost throw that game yesterday. Their play in fourth quarters with bad turnovers may just bite them in the arse as they move down the road. Hope not, or by your April timeframe they may be no better than playing the 4-5 game. That would be moving backwards
Felt the need to post? What does that mean? I'm pretty sure I have more posts in this thread than you do (didn't count, just guessing). I'm not hiding anywhere. I honestly don't care what they do during the regular season other than stay healthy and learn to play together. I care that they at least make the Finals this year, and that is still very much within their capability. Only the Bucks right now look like a team that could beat the Sixers in a seven game series in a playoff, and frankly, I want to see how the two teams match up before I worry or not. The Sixers don't shoot well, they don't take care of the ball, they look disinterested at times, and with all of those flaws they are still a matchup nightmare for anyone they play in the playoffs. I'll post a picture of myself at the parade in June so that you can see what it looks like. :lol:
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Post Reply