They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:59 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm
Very, very good win tonight. Their spacing and effort was lights out tremendous.
Indeed - Sixers showed again why there's almost zero chance they'd lose to the Celtics if they ever meet up in the playoffs, it's just a matchup nightmare for the Celtics, even without Embiid playing. Great to have Thybulle back, he's likely the defensive rookie of the year (if there is such a thing), Richardson is showing what he brings to the table, Simmons was just everywhere last night, and Horford showed what he can be when he's not on the floor with Embiid. Heck, I think I read a stat that the Sixers are the best team in basketball with their non-Embiid lineup on the floor, even better than the Mavs. Of course, come playoff time, the game changes and you need Embiid on the floor.

What I also like about the Sixers is their ability to step it up for big games. Their record against the Bucks, Celtics, Raptors, and Heat is pretty good at this point, and those are the teams standing between them and the Finals. I like our chances in 7 games against any of those teams, warts and all. Still going to be a lot of ugly games thrown in between now and the playoffs, but just get healthy come then and let the real season begin.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:53 am

And DOWN goes Frazier! This team, no matter their occasional spurts of greatness, is not ready for prime time.

Ability to step it up for big games?: Last night the superstar PG had 20 points in the first half, 4 in the third quarter, and ZERO in crunch time.
Keepin' it real.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am

What are they, like 7-5 so far in games against the teams in front of them in the standings? And that includes games without Embiid, and those games are evenly split between home and away. Not sure the excitement to jump off the bandwagon. This team gets to the playoffs fully healthy, regardless of their seed, and they're in a great spot. This team is constructed to win in the playoffs with defense and matchups versus the rest of the East. With all their flaws, they still look like that team that can excel in the playoffs. If we're going to pick out bad regular season losses to cross off teams, you could cross off teams every night and be left with no one ready for prime time. Heck, do we now cross off the Celtics because they lost at home to the Pistons and the Lakers because they lost at home to a Fultz-led Magic team?

With all that said, the one real concern that's popped up recently has been the play of Horford. He's been particularly brutal on both sides of the ball as of late, especially when he was supposed to blossom without Embiid on the floor. The problem is Embiid is still likely out for another 3-4 weeks, and also Horford's real value comes playoff time when he's a key player in the Sixers having matchup wins against the Bucks and the Celtics. Based on his current play you'd consider moving him, as he does have value and a contract that can be traded, but you don't want to let regular season issues get in the way of the real prize, that being success in the playoffs. Right now, I think you hold your nose with Horford and weather the storm to be healthy and intact come playoff time.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Jan 16, 2020 2:15 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 11:37 am
What are they, like 7-5 so far in games against the teams in front of them in the standings? And that includes games without Embiid, and those games are evenly split between home and away. Not sure the excitement to jump off the bandwagon. This team gets to the playoffs fully healthy, regardless of their seed, and they're in a great spot. This team is constructed to win in the playoffs with defense and matchups versus the rest of the East. With all their flaws, they still look like that team that can excel in the playoffs. If we're going to pick out bad regular season losses to cross off teams, you could cross off teams every night and be left with no one ready for prime time. Heck, do we now cross off the Celtics because they lost at home to the Pistons and the Lakers because they lost at home to a Fultz-led Magic team?

With all that said, the one real concern that's popped up recently has been the play of Horford. He's been particularly brutal on both sides of the ball as of late, especially when he was supposed to blossom without Embiid on the floor. The problem is Embiid is still likely out for another 3-4 weeks, and also Horford's real value comes playoff time when he's a key player in the Sixers having matchup wins against the Bucks and the Celtics. Based on his current play you'd consider moving him, as he does have value and a contract that can be traded, but you don't want to let regular season issues get in the way of the real prize, that being success in the playoffs. Right now, I think you hold your nose with Horford and weather the storm to be healthy and intact come playoff time.
You know that I don't react to a win or a loss, I look at the whole picture and I am starting to think, we are looking at a different picture:

1) This team gets to the playoffs fully healthy, regardless of their seed, and they're in a great spot. I disagree, they are tied for the worst road record of all 16 teams that as of today would make the playoffs. And all these games have NOT been against playoff quality teams. Sounds like they need to be the higher seed to me.

2)This team is constructed to win in the playoffs with defense and matchups versus the rest of the East Possibly, but who takes on the roll of Jimmy Butler when Simmons has to go hide in the corner during the 4th quarter?? 58% from the FT line from your PG causes you to change everything you do in the playoffs. That's NOT championship basketball.

3) I think the East is significantly better than you thought it would be.

4) Who makes a shot in crunch time?? I don't think he is on the current roster??

5) This team shouldn't need the guys at NBA today motivating them into big games. They should be self motivated.

Again I hope you are able to provide vivid details of a parade as I will not attend.

Very little indicates to me that there will be a parade in June for this team. possible? yes Likely, I don't think so.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Jan 29, 2020 2:45 pm

Just read a very good article on ESPN about the trade deadline.

One prediction in the article: This will be the last trade deadline that passes that Embiid and Simmons will be teammates.

I wish Joe C was still here, we'd be having some fun this season. Or at least, I'd be called every name in the book. :lol: :lol:

Miss you Joe!!!!! :(

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Jan 30, 2020 12:36 pm

If they don't make significant progress in the playoffs this year - and that significant is be in a position to win the Eastern Conference at a minimum, and really make it to the NBA Finals) - you could see Embiid or Simmons moved. It's a tough pairing to win with traditionally, hence why they've taken on this defensive-based mode to try to win this year. Thybulle coming on makes the chances to succeed with that approach a little better. Horford and Scott, who have both struggled galore this season in spots, are better players come playoff time and with Horford, at least, gives you the favorable match-ups in playoff series against likely Eastern Conference foes.

No doubt, joe would've loved seeing what happens come April and if this approach works.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Jan 30, 2020 10:26 pm

Finally seeing the light are ya? What happened to that everything will be ok mantra? :P
With a 9-16 road record it’ll be impossible to progress farther this year. They’ll be the visiting team in each round as it stands now unless they go on a tear. Very doubtful. I fear that the process has come to a screeching halt.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 am

Losing to a 12-36 team by double digits is not something championship caliber teams do. Bad loss.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:41 am

HENJOHN wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:26 am
Losing to a 12-36 team by double digits is not something championship caliber teams do. Bad loss.
They simply aren’t HJ. They are not athletic enough nor do they shoot the three well enough. At the near 50 game mark they have the 6th best record in the the East and 10th overall. Sure, things can change by April, but I kinda doubt it. And even if they beef up the supporting cast, it all depends on Embid. Does anyone really think health and conditioning wise, he is up to leading the 76ers through what would be up to a 28 game grind to win a title? Anyway, for sure the 76ers are entertaining to watch, but the years long “The Process” with years of on purpose, and historical tanking doesn’t look like it will deliver a title in yet another year.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:25 am

Hey, maybe, just maybe it's Embiid who needs to go in exchange for more puzzle pieces in this failed process. Not saying he can't mature at some point but they did play 3 weeks without him. The guy is simply an immature kid who won't, or just as likely, doesn't have it in him to rise to the occasion. One would think that with the way their season ended last year that this guy would play with a little more fire in his belly on a nightly basis. Kobe had it. Larry had it. Magic had it. Lebron has it. Giannis has it. Heck, even Trae Young has it. Butler's got it. And MJ still has it. Great players just bring it each night. This guy? Not so much. Perhaps what we have here is the next Dwight Howard?

This guy is puzzling, but hey, I'm sure he's fun on those party nights. This team is headed for a first round ouster.

Oh well, Spring training is in 3 weeks. Thanks Mr. Groundhog.
Keepin' it real.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:48 am

Henweigh wrote:
Sun Feb 02, 2020 8:25 am
Hey, maybe, just maybe it's Embiid who needs to go in exchange for more puzzle pieces in this failed process. Not saying he can't mature at some point but they did play 3 weeks without him. The guy is simply an immature kid who won't, or just as likely, doesn't have it in him to rise to the occasion. One would think that with the way their season ended last year that this guy would play with a little more fire in his belly on a nightly basis. Kobe had it. Larry had it. Magic had it. Lebron has it. Giannis has it. Heck, even Trae Young has it. Butler's got it. And MJ still has it. Great players just bring it each night. This guy? Not so much. Perhaps what we have here is the next Dwight Howard?

This guy is puzzling, but hey, I'm sure he's fun on those party nights. This team is headed for a first round ouster.

Oh well, Spring training is in 3 weeks. Thanks Mr. Groundhog.
Agree 100%. Embid, has not demonstrated the heart of a lion like all the other greats in all sports that lead their teams to championships. He just doesn’t. He takes too many nights off, literally and on the court, doesn’t stay in shape and always seems to have some ailment or injury. Like I have said many times times, the 76ers will go as far as Embid will take them. And he and they have actually taken a step backwards this year. Things can change between now and April but I wouldn’t count on it.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:26 am

Seems he may have had the upcoming visit to South Beach on his mind, rather than to put some energy into playing well. 25 year old with the maturity of a teen.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Feb 04, 2020 5:33 am

Very Sad where the Process is right now. This team is going nowhere.
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am

Maybe they're just laying in the weeds, doing the whole Rope a Dope ala Ali? :lol:

Yeah, they're playing like dogs right now, and I echo the concern long term about Embiid. People like to harp on Simmons and the will he or won't he shoot thing, but the reason this team is a team with a switch is because of Embiid - he's either not there or just doesn't give enough effort night in and night out to be more consistent than they are. He's still a really big guy with back and knee issues, so there's always that concern, but there's just the maturity concern and if he'll ever get it. Anything short of the Finals this year and Brett Brown is gone, and if the new coach can't turn it around then by this time next year Embiid is likely gone as well. How about Embiid straight up for Curry? Think they could get that?

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Feb 04, 2020 12:37 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:54 am
Maybe they're just laying in the weeds, doing the whole Rope a Dope ala Ali? :lol:

Yeah, they're playing like dogs right now, and I echo the concern long term about Embiid. People like to harp on Simmons and the will he or won't he shoot thing, but the reason this team is a team with a switch is because of Embiid - he's either not there or just doesn't give enough effort night in and night out to be more consistent than they are. He's still a really big guy with back and knee issues, so there's always that concern, but there's just the maturity concern and if he'll ever get it. Anything short of the Finals this year and Brett Brown is gone, and if the new coach can't turn it around then by this time next year Embiid is likely gone as well. How about Embiid straight up for Curry? Think they could get that?
It's a little more than that but you are at a good starting point.

One of my biggest concerns before the start of the season. Who are your shooters? There is a big difference in shooters and guys who can make shots. The Sixers have too many of the later and NONE of the 1st. Maybe Korkman? And now the word is out......zone the crap out of them.

Still hated the Tobias Harris deal, not that he is a bad player. He's pretty good, just making 20M a year too much. But they had to sign him or would have looked like total morons last year if he left with Butler.

They are not even close to a team that will compete for an NBA title. :( :(