They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
joe c

They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by joe c » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:07 pm

It all starts Tomorrow..Lets see what we got...

UDForever

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by UDForever » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:09 pm

Can’t wait Joe.

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 6:13 am

Its time for some Hoops baby.

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:19 am

All eyes on Fultz...He gets the start...Redick off the Bench....

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:53 am

I like that plan Joe. Fultz looked good in preseason. I think she's ready for a step up year.

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:31 am

Awful performance to start..Sloppy play all around..At times embarrassing....What stands out to me is we have a one man bench....Chandler already hurt... We shot 19% from the arc...We had 10 turnovers at half...Couldn't hit anything from outside..(neither could Boston)...We shot 58% from free throw line...Fultz was nonexistent in first but played a better second quarter..
Barkley said Sixers are not athletic enough on the perimeter..That he wont judge Fultz on one game...

Bottom line is Celtics didn't play well and they whipped us by 18.

I have to repeat.....We have a one man bench!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:47 am

Dante with a nice debut..He played 22 minutes had 8 points shot 2 for 4 from the Arc..He looked good.. Outstanding!

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:52 am

joe c wrote:Awful performance to start..Sloppy play all around..At times embarrassing....What stands out to me is we have a one man bench....Chandler already hurt... We shot 19% from the arc...We had 10 turnovers at half...Couldn't hit anything from outside..(neither could Boston)...We shot 58% from free throw line...Fultz was nonexistent in first but played a better second quarter..
Barkley said Sixers are not athletic enough on the perimeter..That he wont judge Fultz on one game...

Bottom line is Celtics didn't play well and they whipped us by 18.

I have to repeat.....We have a one man bench!!!
It's a long season, and the Sixers this year will be measured by where they are in April and May, not by where they are in October. Give it time - Chandler is a player, and there's no need to rush a hamstring at this time of the year. Fultz is clearly a project so we'll need to see how he progresses. Frankly, I want him to just be more active, especially on defense. He's very athletic, and even if the shot's not falling he could be a factor just because he's so long and athletic. I don't think it's a one man bench - the aforementioned Chandler will be very good, don't sleep on Shamet - that kid can shoot - and when Muscala comes back from his injury he'll be a contributor (and frankly if he can reduce Amir Johnson's minutes we'll all be grateful for that). I think they can go 8 or 9 deep when healthy and that's plenty enough to contend in April and May. It's a work in progress, but at least we know Embiid is a flat out stud and if anything Simmons looks even better this year than last. I like our chances later in the year and this will easily be a 50+ win team in the leadup to that.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:10 am

Absolutely GF,,Still to many 1 minute players. Much more energy last night..Home crowd should take a bow,,How about Shamet's sweet shot..Hope he don't get the Yips and be out a year...Fultz hits his first career 3 pointer...but still shot 5 for 15 surely a work in process... Can't answer for you but worried about bench. Your right about Hamstring though...I played my last baseball game when I rounded second and my hammy blew...It sounded like a shot gun blast w a next day a rainbow of colors....A Long season and I still think we need to make a move or 2...Boston is better but the NBA is back and I love it....

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:16 pm

No problem being worried about the bench - they still have to prove what they are. Count Redick as a starter so you have Fultz, Chandler, Muscala, TJ, Shamet, and Johnson as your 6 deep on the bench. Clearly they won't be 6 deep in any particular game, but that's what you have (maybe Bolden gets to the point where he can play ahead of Amir, and maybe Furkan steps up and can contribute some shooting, and Zaire Smith could have a spot if he comes back this year - I don't want to see Bayless at all - him and Amir can dress in street clothes for all I care). But Chandler and Muscala are out (might get to see them by the Saturday home came coming up) and Fultz is a shell of a player right now - got to see how those guys mesh before we judge this bench.

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:43 am

No Jimmy Butler comments!!

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:13 am

HENJOHN wrote:No Jimmy Butler comments!!
Wasn't online a lot this weekend. Fantastic trade. Didn't punt yet on Fultz (he might be something, he might not be, still don't know) and you just had to give up Saric (whom I like, but he has limits so he's expendable) and Covington (I never did care for him a lot - overrated defender, especially on the ball, and not a clutch shooter at all) and a second round pick (a nothing pick). I think they even took Bayless off our hands too. Butler gives them a guy who can score in crunch time (see how that was missed in the Memphis game, for instance, as well as last year in the playoffs), and he's a legit defensive stud. And there's no way the trade happens if Embiid and/or Simmons didn't like him, so the fact they signed off on the trade makes me not worry about Butler's baggage.

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:18 pm

I like the deal and it’s soemthing they had to do. Hopefully Butler leaves his bad attitude in Minnesota though. They need to get a shooter though now. Reports are they’re interested in Korver.

I do think that Covington got a bad rap around here, as evidenced by GF’s post. The guy was a 1st team all nba defender last year. He was not overrated in that department. Sure he had some bone headed moments but the guy went from basically a pick up off the street to a decent starter on a playoff team. The guy was a better 3 point shooter than Redick last year, through I agree in that Redick was more clutch.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Nov 12, 2018 4:52 pm

UDForever wrote:I like the deal and it’s soemthing they had to do. Hopefully Butler leaves his bad attitude in Minnesota though. They need to get a shooter though now. Reports are they’re interested in Korver.

I do think that Covington got a bad rap around here, as evidenced by GF’s post. The guy was a 1st team all nba defender last year. He was not overrated in that department. Sure he had some bone headed moments but the guy went from basically a pick up off the street to a decent starter on a playoff team. The guy was a better 3 point shooter than Redick last year, through I agree in that Redick was more clutch.
There's no way you'd want Covington shooting the ball more than Redick. And that's not just my opinion - Redick will make a lot more money in this league than Cov will. And I stand behind my criticism of Cov's defense. Put him on the ball, one on one with a guy, and I don't have confidence that Cov wins those battles. He was a stat guy on defense, he made a lot of steals, especially off of the ball and even more so in transitions. He's an active hand guy and that's important and has it's place, but it's different from a defensive stopper. Butler can be that stopper, I don't think Cov could. And when you're playing Boston in the playoffs, someone is going to need to step up and shut down a Kyrie or a Tatum and I didn't see Cov be that guy last year.

Absolutely need more outside shooting, and like you said, seems like the Korver talks are flaring up again. I'd take him in a heartbeat, just don't sell the farm for him.

UDForever

Post by UDForever » Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:51 pm

Never said that I’d want Covington shooting the ball more than Redick. That would be silly. My point is that people loves to hate on Covington and focused much more on his misses than makes. The guy shot near 40% from 3 last year.

As for defense, the guy was a first team all nba defender. Let me repeat, a first team all nba defender. Is he going to lock down your best player? Probably not, and the playoffs certainly showed that, which is what people love to pick on (more so one series they love to pick on) rather than looking at the full body of work. Where he makes his money is off the ball. He was top 10 in steals and led the league in deflections. He’s top 5 in all kinds of new analytical defensive stats.

I’m thrilled with getting Butler and it was needed, but it’s comical to me that people love to hate Covington so much. Not saying you, just a lot of the people in this city.