They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue May 07, 2019 10:28 pm

What a disaster. They hung on for a quarter and then got run out of the country.

All of the suspects with the most pressure to come up big: Embiid, Simmons and Brown failed. Flat out failed. I’ll throw out some wishful thinking - maybe they protect home court Thursday and then anything can happen in a Game 7.
#SaveThePeeWall

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed May 08, 2019 6:46 am

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 am

An actual Championship caliber team doesn't come out and 'play' a game like that piece of Crap last night. They packed it in.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Wed May 08, 2019 7:47 am

Brutal, just absolutely brutal basketball. Brown's probably gone with a series loss here. And it puts on notice for Simmons as well since he's the most expendable of the Embiid/Simmons pairing. Can't have as many turnovers as shots from the field. It ain't over yet, it just really feels like it's over. Get to a Game 7 and maybe something good happens.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed May 08, 2019 9:01 am

Gannonfan wrote:And it puts on notice for Simmons as well since he's the most expendable of the Embiid/Simmons pairing. Can't have as many turnovers as shots from the field.
That's without a doubt the biggest off-season decision the Sixers will have.
The current state is Ben can be superior in transition, he can be very good attacking the rim, he can be a good ball distributor, he can play good defense in stretches & he can be a triple double threat. On the other hand, he can't shoot nor show any confidence to shoot from further than 8-12 feet, including FT's, he tends to turn the ball over too much, he often turns into a spectator on the offensive end, and has disappeared in the second round of the playoffs two years straight. There are teams that have already deemed him "no value" and there are many teams that still think he has value. He has two years left on his deal and then he can become a restricted free agent.

The choice is you either push all your chips to the center of the table with him & hope he develops a shot and thus a better overall offensive game AND that he wants to re-sign here when his deal is up. OR, while he still has time on his deal, meaning he still has as much value as you're ever going to have with him, you deal him over the summer & get a good package of players and picks back for him. If the choice is the latter you do it this summer, the return you get for him after that, with only one year left on his deal & assuming there is no offensive game prowess change will be greatly diminished.

Elton, the clock starts tomorrow or Sunday night.....(barring a miracle)
#SaveThePeeWall

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed May 08, 2019 12:23 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:And it puts on notice for Simmons as well since he's the most expendable of the Embiid/Simmons pairing. Can't have as many turnovers as shots from the field.
That's without a doubt the biggest off-season decision the Sixers will have.
The current state is Ben can be superior in transition, he can be very good attacking the rim, he can be a good ball distributor, he can play good defense in stretches & he can be a triple double threat. On the other hand, he can't shoot nor show any confidence to shoot from further than 8-12 feet, including FT's, he tends to turn the ball over too much, he often turns into a spectator on the offensive end, and has disappeared in the second round of the playoffs two years straight. There are teams that have already deemed him "no value" and there are many teams that still think he has value. He has two years left on his deal and then he can become a restricted free agent.

The choice is you either push all your chips to the center of the table with him & hope he develops a shot and thus a better overall offensive game AND that he wants to re-sign here when his deal is up. OR, while he still has time on his deal, meaning he still has as much value as you're ever going to have with him, you deal him over the summer & get a good package of players and picks back for him. If the choice is the latter you do it this summer, the return you get for him after that, with only one year left on his deal & assuming there is no offensive game prowess change will be greatly diminished.

Elton, the clock starts tomorrow or Sunday night.....(barring a miracle)

Exactly what I have been saying about this guys for months!!!!!!!! But when I say it......I get called names and told I don't thing about this game. Just FN comical.

Please note: You can't trade NBA elite players. :roll: :roll: :roll:

9.4/7/4.6 yep that's elite!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed May 08, 2019 12:28 pm

Pat, who's numbers are those?

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed May 08, 2019 1:29 pm

The only thing comical is your comments...Thank goodness the players don't feel that way...The last time I looked hoops is a team game that includes coaching...Should we trade Embiid because he stunk the joint out in game 4..Oh wait we better release Harris as well....Of course he still has his AllStar selection at what age...Hats off to Toronto for figuring out a plan to keep Sixers from running and playing transition hoops... They put Philly in half court not Simmons lolololol...Team game....

Thumbs down for Brown and staff for having no answer...None.....They needed to get a sniper..Brand tried to improve bench and in my opinion failed....It is killing us as is Toronto's defense..Again no answer in last 2 games by our staff..
Last year Bill posted an absolute accurate statement when he said "unfortunately Boston may have laid the blue print on how to stop the Sixers"...He was dead on...What puzzles me is they found a way in game three and nothing in next 2 as they saw something and we didn't respond....

You have to win 4 but the fat lady is walking towards the mike and Brown fades into the sunset.....

Paging Larry from the home....lol..

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed May 08, 2019 1:49 pm

joe c wrote: Last year Bill posted an absolute accurate statement when he said "unfortunately Boston may have laid the blue print on how to stop the Sixers"...He was dead on...What puzzles me is they found a way in game three and nothing in next 2 as they saw something and we didn't respond....
That was true, Simmons played very well in the 1st round vs Miami last season & Boston countered with their "wall defense" to limit Simmons' chances at the basket. This year, however, there is no grand strategy. Toronto is simply covering him with man-to-man defense, not even helping when he posts up & the numbers are terrible. That's what has to be more alarming.
#SaveThePeeWall

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed May 08, 2019 2:06 pm

HENJOHN wrote:Pat, who's numbers are those?

Ben Simmons numbers for this series against the Raptors

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed May 08, 2019 2:32 pm

For sure, Simmons isn't playing well and he as well as the whole team don't play well in the half court. But that's playoff basketball.

But the real cause of being down 3-2 and on the verge of elimination is Embid isn't healthy. The supposed "plan" that has been "coming together" for years, almost totally relies on the oft injured, now sick, and often out of shape Embid. With him healthy, they are a top 4-5 team and could win a title. With him at his now too often degraded state, the second round is about where the 76er's are.

IF, and it isn't done yet, the 76er's loose this series it will represent ZERO progress from last year's second round bow out and a far cry from those that "Trust The Process" saying the only way to win a title is tank for years on end. The other way of building a winner was criticized for only winning 50 games or so and then bowing out in round two. Well?

Finally, getting through the NBA playoffs up to and including the finals could take up to 28 games. Has Embid ever been close to healthy for 28 games in a row in his 5 seasons since leaving college?

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed May 08, 2019 2:35 pm

joe c wrote:The only thing comical is your comments...Thank goodness the players don't feel that way...The last time I looked hoops is a team game that includes coaching...Should we trade Embiid because he stunk the joint out in game 4..Oh wait we better release Harris as well....Of course he still has his AllStar selection at what age...Hats off to Toronto for figuring out a plan to keep Sixers from running and playing transition hoops... They put Philly in half court not Simmons lolololol...Team game....

Thumbs down for Brown and staff for having no answer...None.....They needed to get a sniper..Brand tried to improve bench and in my opinion failed....It is killing us as is Toronto's defense..Again no answer in last 2 games by our staff..
Last year Bill posted an absolute accurate statement when he said "unfortunately Boston may have laid the blue print on how to stop the Sixers"...He was dead on...What puzzles me is they found a way in game three and nothing in next 2 as they saw something and we didn't respond....

You have to win 4 but the fat lady is walking towards the mike and Brown fades into the sunset.....

Paging Larry from the home....lol..

You are correct it is a team game. And I did misspeak in the fact that if the Sixers didn't get the 2nd round it may be his fault. What I meant, if Ben Simmons is the ELITE player you say He is....after what his now his 2nd year of playoff ball, He would find a way to elevate his game to that level against the better teams in the league, wow they beat a 6 seed...They are suppose to!!!. It is not his fault IF they lose the series. But for the 2nd year in a row as the competition got better His game got worse. And it is light years worst this year than last year against the Celtics!!!

The series is not over and I am hoping for the come back. Come up with all the excuses you want about what the Sixers did or didn't do. No issues there. That has not been your point with me, don't deflect and change the subject. You issues with me has been.. Is Ben Simmons an ELITE NBA player?? As of May 8 2019.........the answer is easy.....Nope He isn't

But for you to continue on your rant about Ben Simmons being an ELITE NBA player just makes me look smarter all the time. I didn't post for 4 games cause I wanted to give him that chance to step up(not act like one 31 pt game against a 6 seed put him over the top) but 4 games was enough for me to see that his play wasn't going on the right direction, actually his play is borderline embarrassing against the Raptors. 4 Ft's in 5 games. Sounds scared to me.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Thu May 09, 2019 10:00 pm

Game 7 Sunday. This one is over.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri May 10, 2019 6:55 am

Hens79 wrote:Game 7 Sunday. This one is over.
Going to be tough assignment 79..We showed some heart last night..Coast to coast win...
How shocking of Pat tooting his own ridiculous post about how smart is...lolololololol...Just like the UD hoop board....Yup keep on posting so you can prove it...NOT....
Toronto plays great defense...They rotate very quickly on Simmons cutting off penetration as well as trying to keep him pff glass....We still could use another sniper as well as a healthy Embiid...
Scott was fantastic last night as was the total team effort...Where was that the last 2 games?

The Sixers questions are not what to do w Simmons (comical). It is what are they going to dp with Butler Harris and Redick....Much depends on what happens Sunday..If they get beat then the biggest question besides the 3 players might be on Brown's status....Just maybe....lolol...

If they get in transition they will be tough to beat...Last night they did that as they pushed the ball quickly...Yes Leonard will get his points despite a horrible percentage.....We need Redick and Harris to shoot better and Embiid and Simmons to cut down on turnovers....

We won last night despite Embiid obviously hurting...He will have 2 days to get at least a bit more healthy..
Tough assignment for sure...

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri May 10, 2019 8:04 am

It is a tough assignment joec. But if Embid has gotten over his illness (knee is still bothering him) AND the team plays with a lot of energy and heart they can definitely win. Talent-wise, they are better than Toronto. But Toronto plays great team ball, especially on defense, can either run or play half court offense pretty well and in Leonard they have a great scorer in the half court, open court, just everywhere. They will be tough to beat in Toronto, but it isn’t that hard to imagine the 76ers winning.