They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
joe c

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by joe c » Fri May 10, 2019 9:04 am

Totally agree 79 ...I believe we have the better starting 5 but I also think Toronto ix the better team...and better coached team as well.. Last night the Sixers staff deserves credit,,Toronto is following same defensive tactics used by Celtics...They are trying to deny Simmons the ball but more importantly they rotate to the lanes as soon as he touches the ball trying to cut off his drives (this also keeps him off glass
)..In essence double teaming w a guy on ball and rotating to lanes..It is the reason the Sixers are first in league in catch and shoot open three's...Because teams collapse on Simmons....Last night the Sixers helped Simmons by keeping lanes clear and pushing more quickly...I think Embiid was also feeling the effects of his upper repository illness...2 days of fluids and treatment will certainly help...

I would think resigning Jimmy is a must if hr wants to be here....Harris and Redick are also a question..We can't have a shooting guard score 3 points that plays no defense.....This team needed another sniper off the bench...Korver would have been perfect...They chose not to go after him because of his large contract possibly...If they don't want Redick back then we need two....We need a back up center that isn't as slow as molasses...Bobo can't even buy a minute....Maybe we can draft 3 more shooting guards...lololol....

Have to sign Jimmy Buckets....Pay the man....If we can get out in transition and its a big if we will win the game....Torontp plays fantastic defense,,,They lead the league in defensive numbers...Yup we now even have hoop saber metrics... Driving me crazy as baseball is over the top with some of these stats....Spin rates exit velocity launch angles hard contact rate and on and on....My favorite comment came from Kruk...Tmac said when a player hit a seed to left caught by Cutch and T Mac said "his exit velocity was 105 John". Kruk said "meanwhile he is sitting in dugout"...lol....

Lets let it rip and play with the emotion and effort like last night and see what happens....We certainly have a punchers chance....We need Redick and Harris to hit those open looks at a higher percentage...

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri May 10, 2019 9:14 am

There's no question Butler will be their main priority but unless something unforeseen happens I think he'll sign a MAX deal in Philly. It would've been nice to still have Shamet to take Redick's place bit I think JJ will be back for at least one more year. His family lives in NYC or Brooklyn so where he'd sign is very limited.

It was great to see Simmons play last night & man is he frustrating to watch over time. Everyone knows he HAS the talent to be a great player in this league. No one can figure out if he WANTS to be an elite talent in this league. From blowing off getting better at shooting last summer, to taking himself out of multiple games this year. Watch his performances from the Heat series last year, game 2 vs the Nets last month & then Game 6 last night. That's the Ben they need to mentally show up on Sunday night. I think Embiid is getting better & will be a force Sunday as long as he doesn't get infatuated with shooting 3's. Harris played well last night & Ennis & Scott gave them some good minutes.

Neither bench will be a large factor Sunday - starters minus foul trouble will all be 40 minutes & north - I think that helps the Sixers. Stay out of foul trouble, move the ball, shoot a decent %, control the baords & keep the Raptors to a two-man team & I like their chances...

Odds are stacked against them with a Game 7 on the road but I hit the Sixers +7 last night.
Delaware Football - where the focus isn’t on winning?

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri May 10, 2019 9:32 am

If they get out in transition is the key.... and hit shots....Harris can't be 3 for 17 and Redick can't score just 3....

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri May 10, 2019 9:36 am

It's all there for the Sixers, now they just need to go and do it. They have a far better starting unit than the Raptors and when all of them show up (*cough* Ben *cough*) they should win. Embiid's plus/minus last night was a demonstration of why he's always the most important part of the Sixers. They need to do what they did in this game - keep letting Butler have the ball and work his shots, keep letting Simmons break out in transition and get to the hoop by any means in the half court, keep Embiid on the court has much as possible (especially for his defense), and they need whoever gets the kick to hit the threes. Would be nice for Harris to really make a difference in this game, but him and Redick and Scott need to knock down shots. It's not a terribly complicated game, just got to go out and grind out a win.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri May 10, 2019 10:13 am

Sometimes GF you have to tip your hat to the other guy...Their game plan was simple to stop Simmons from transition and keeping him from penetration and off the glass...The Sixers and give them credit found a way to get him loose...They will need to do that again on Sunday....Like you said it ain't rocket science....
Good post GF....

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri May 10, 2019 11:35 am

joe c wrote:
Hens79 wrote:Game 7 Sunday. This one is over.
Going to be tough assignment 79..We showed some heart last night..Coast to coast win...
How shocking of Pat tooting his own ridiculous post about how smart is...lolololololol...Just like the UD hoop board....Yup keep on posting so you can prove it...NOT....
Toronto plays great defense...They rotate very quickly on Simmons cutting off penetration as well as trying to keep him pff glass....We still could use another sniper as well as a healthy Embiid...
Scott was fantastic last night as was the total team effort...Where was that the last 2 games?

The Sixers questions are not what to do w Simmons (comical). It is what are they going to dp with Butler Harris and Redick....Much depends on what happens Sunday..If they get beat then the biggest question besides the 3 players might be on Brown's status....Just maybe....lolol...

If they get in transition they will be tough to beat...Last night they did that as they pushed the ball quickly...Yes Leonard will get his points despite a horrible percentage.....We need Redick and Harris to shoot better and Embiid and Simmons to cut down on turnovers....

We won last night despite Embiid obviously hurting...He will have 2 days to get at least a bit more healthy..
Tough assignment for sure...

Great win by the Sixers!!! Team win!!

About time the ELITE player showed up. Elite players would have 5 out 6 good games in the series not other way around. Wasn't going to mention this but you brought it up. Of course, I gave him 5 games to step up and be ELITE while you said nothing!!! Now you are talking but that's your MO, one game.

Congrats, your Elite player just moved back into double figure scoring for the series while all his other number's are down from the regular season.

Like you said, if they win this series it will be a team win. Not because Ben Simmons stepped his game up.

You have made some ridiculous bet offer to me a couple of weeks. Here's another: I'll play you one on one for 1000$ and I want the GOHens board in attendance. You can name the time and the place.

And I'll give you an advantage: There is a poster you who know personally that did some digging a few years back and found out everything there is to know about my game or lack of your delusional minds seems to think is the case. Send me a PM and I'll give you that name and you will have what you need. You know this poster very well. I don't make false claims on a message as all things can be checked in the day of social media.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri May 10, 2019 5:18 pm

Pat - Is part of your game running up the court at full speed, jumping into the air, and passing it back to someone else on your squad because you don't have the skills to make a 10-footer? Or to even try to penetrate to the bucket? There's a supposed elite guy doing it several times per game in the NBA. :wink:

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri May 10, 2019 7:29 pm

UDPat wrote:
You have made some ridiculous bet offer to me a couple of weeks. Here's another: I'll play you one on one for 1000$ and I want the GOHens board in attendance..
Can I get a line on this game?

00bluehen
UD Class: 2000

Post by 00bluehen » Sun May 12, 2019 9:36 pm

:lol:

KEEP ON TANKIN’!!!

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Sun May 12, 2019 9:58 pm

00bluehen wrote::lol:

KEEP ON TANKIN’!!!
So you thought losing on purpose for 3 years, and then being so watchable and newsworthy for the past two years that you would jump onto a UD football message board to talk about them, is somehow worse than the 10 years the Sixers spent in basketball purgatory before all of that losing when nobody was talking about them on any message board? Please, the complainers about tanking like to ignore the fact that they never paid attention to the Sixers prior to tanking because there wasn't anything to pay attention to. Actually posting here like you did as quick as you did validates that the Sixers tanking was the right move to do, not that it was ever really in doubt.

Lost tonight sucked, and despite Kwhai hitting an incredible shot the Sixers only have to look themselves in the face for the reason for the loss - killed on the offensive boards and a string of terrible possessions inside of 3 minutes to go. Brown probably should be let go, they should sign Harris and Butler, and see what a whole season will be like in an Eastern conference far weaker next year (Toronto will vanish when Kwhai leaves and Boston will miss Kyrie - although certainly the Knicks could be better). Gotta grow up, though, if they're going to contend for a title.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:12 am

A few points. That was sure a heart breaking way to lose a 7 game series. Toronto isn’t a great team but good enough to beat the 76ers. Leonard is as dynamic a scorer as their is. Embid needs to be healthy more often and I am not sure it will happen given his history. And he needs to take better care of himself. He also needs to play closer to the basket more often. Shaq and Barkley really beat him up on all these points. Simmons needs to learn to shoot at least a little. Until these things happen, championships will be hard to come by. And yeah, after all the tanking, the 76ers are “relevant”, as in winning 50 games and making it to the second round of the playoffs again. After 6 years, most probably hoped “The Process” would have achieved more. As for the tanking, it was historic loosing for four years, not three. And as everyone should know by now, it was the worst four year run in professional history. It might produce a championship someday, but right now the second round is about where they are. That is the status of “a plan coming together” for now. Maybe year 7 or 8 will be the charm and that statue to what’s his name can finally be built?

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Mon May 13, 2019 8:52 am

No other way to describe it in my mind other than disappointing not to at least make the Eastern Finals again this season.

bluehenbillk

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon May 13, 2019 8:54 am

10 Observations from last night:
(No specific order)

-Sixers got beat rebounding - they would normally control glass thru year- often by double digits but came up small here last night
- Ibaka scoring as many as he did last night hurt greatly - even two threes!!
- Lowry was a PITA last night - the strip on Simmons under the basket hurt
- Speaking of Simmons, 4 shots from the field attempted. IF they keep him, he NEEDS to develop an offensive game or the team won't get a lot better
- It's maddening to watch Embiid spend so much time at the arch instead of the post - this will be the deathknell of Brown I believe
- Butler was ice cold for three quarters last night, I still want him back, give him a MAX deal, but he could've done better
- Zero bench last night, Monroe was terrible, had to leave Joel on the floor, Scott & Ennis didn't contribute much at all
- Turnovers, especially the ones in the second half helped undo the Sixers
- Under 3 mins in the game & 3 consecutive offensive possessions, one after a timeout, completely squandered
- Brett Brown. Nice knowing you. Harris should be on the Main Line today backing up a Brinks truck for Jay Wright. Yea I know half of you will say that will never happen, but look who the Cavs just hired this morning...

On to baseball season

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon May 13, 2019 9:51 am

Hens79 wrote: As for the tanking, it was historic loosing for four years, not three.
Uh, I see 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16. They were still "going for it" in the 2012-13 season with the Jru Holliday and Iggy and the rest. Ended up being a 34 win season, but they were certainly trying that year. And the 2016-17 year was the year they started winning on purpose - Embiid played a bunch that year. If they were tanking he'd never had played. They had 28 wins that year (6 less than the 2012-13 season where they were "trying"). Getting past the Colangelo fiasco and when the NBA forced the Sixers to hire him (followed by the Fultz fiasco with picking Fultz and giving the Celts a #1 pick and then the burner phone) was important. Brand still needs to prove himself, but he's worlds better than Colangelo.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Mon May 13, 2019 10:18 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Hens79 wrote: As for the tanking, it was historic loosing for four years, not three.
Uh, I see 2013-14, 2014-15, and 2015-16. They were still "going for it" in the 2012-13 season with the Jru Holliday and Iggy and the rest. Ended up being a 34 win season, but they were certainly trying that year. And the 2016-17 year was the year they started winning on purpose - Embiid played a bunch that year. If they were tanking he'd never had played. They had 28 wins that year (6 less than the 2012-13 season where they were "trying"). Getting past the Colangelo fiasco and when the NBA forced the Sixers to hire him (followed by the Fultz fiasco with picking Fultz and giving the Celts a #1 pick and then the burner phone) was important. Brand still needs to prove himself, but he's worlds better than Colangelo.
But it was still the worst four year run in professional sports history with what’s his name running the show most of it. When proponents of tanking resort to saying any season is the season they started “winning on purpose” aka we were tanking prior, you have lost me and a lot of other fans, or at a minimum it is met with a lot of skepticism. And all of this past tanking was to compete for championships, not just be “relevant”. And speaking of draft screw ups, what’s his name was the guy who who drafted Okafor. How may post guys were on the team that year? But yeah, the Fultz drafting was ridiculous, even if he didn’t get hurt. For all that tanking and trading up, that draft year wasn’t filled with any game changers. We’ll see what the future brings, but a lot of it rests with Embid. We’ll see if he can get in shape and stay healthy.