They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
joe c

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by joe c » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:46 am

Heck we all saw again but as I said he who laughs last laughs best..Simmons has looked bad three games in a row including against Denver where he had 9 turnovers..That is outrageous...EmbIId needs to get his butt inside....

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:31 am

Hens79 wrote:Yep joec, the Celtics made the 76er's play the Celtics game. It looked like a playoff game with all the banging and more half court offense. There won't be many 140 point games in the playoffs. This is exactly what the Celtics did to the 76ers last year in the playoffs. In addition to that, the Celtics still have the advantage taking guys off the dribble. Also, Embid has to toughen up, get closer to the basket and stop complaining about the refs when Al Horford plays him physical. That's the way it is in the playoffs. With that said, there are many games between now and the playoffs and the 76ers have time to learn to play together with all their new players. But in a league where match ups matter more than in most sports, the Celtics remain a tough match up for the 76ers.

Great point!!! There is a big big big difference between regular season basketball and playoff basketball. 2 completely different beasts. But overall, I do think the Sixers handled these last 12 games or so pretty well. I may not be cashing tixs to the Finals just yet but I do see growth.

And just an FYI, anyone who thinks that the Sixers will sign both Butler and Harris? I just don't see it.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 am

Yeah, last night sucked. Remembered again how much I hate Boston. And I can't stand the clutch and grab type of defense they play - it's like the kind of defense that Bob Huggins used to run at Cincy - just come out of the gate fouling and they can't call everything. I didn't like it when those Nick Van Exel teams did it and I don't like it now.

With that said, the Sixers will just need to toughen up, both physically and mentally. Just like last year in the playoffs, the game was there for the taking, but the Sixers couldn't make the shots and Boston did. Harris has to hit some of those three's - at least half of them were uncontested so it's not like the defense was the issue. Butler has to make free throws late in the game like an 80% plus free throw shooter should. And Embiid needs to stay in the game throughout the game. To Embiid's credit, he did step it up in the 4th quarter, but he was in a daze before then. The Sixers shot like crap, didn't get fast break points, had a ton of defense gaffes on their own, and in spite of all that were right there in the last minute with a chance to win. That's what the playoff games will come down to, making plays at the end, and that's where they need to get better. They have a few months to work on that and then it matters.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Mar 18, 2019 1:34 pm

Great Win yesterday...Coast to Coast...When teams lets us run we are very dangerous....Embiid sitting tomorrow but will play against Boston....
Embiid 13 three's????????

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Mar 18, 2019 4:20 pm

joe c wrote:Great Win yesterday...Coast to Coast...When teams lets us run we are very dangerous....Embiid sitting tomorrow but will play against Boston....
Embiid 13 three's????????
I'm sure he's tired from jacking that many 3's. Yes, he shouldn't shoot than many from there, I think he got caught up in the excitement of the game and all. And yes, if teams let us run in transition it really benefits the Sixers. That's one reason why the Celtics has caused issues for the Sixers to date, they just slow the game down to a grind. Definitely like how the group is starting to play together - it's tough to remember that's only the 7th game this starting 5 has been completely together. Should just keep getting better and better. And they got Butler incorporated into the game, which has been the biggest issue so far. The Bucks are a nice matchup for the Sixers, but will likely only see them come the conference finals if both make it that far. It would be nice to get a W against the Celts on Wednesday, if just for psychological purposes.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Mar 18, 2019 5:04 pm

Anything more than 4 three point attempts for Embiid is too many....
#SaveThePeeWall

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:37 am

Wow just wow....Embiid is amazing....Thank you Mr Smart....How about those two phantom fouls called on Embiid against Irving....I never saw it coming....Let the games begin....

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Mar 21, 2019 7:45 am

Jimmy Buckets!!!!!!!
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:30 am

Yup Pat....How about Butler....The Sixers are now 7 and 1 when all 5 start...In those 8 games they lead the East conference in offensive ratings....We could use more bench help.... Still a tad miffed we didn't pick up a sniper off the Bench....This is going to be fun.....As I said before the Sixers are team no one is going to want to play in play offs....A very dangerous team...After years of futility in our sports team it sure has become fun to watch MLB and NBA tv....

As the Immortal Jack Buck once said "Go Crazy Folks, Go Crazy"!!!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Mar 26, 2019 8:56 am

What a dreadful performance...Just awful....Well we found out how key is Simmons...At 9 minutes left the Sixers had no fast break points...Thats zero....They didnt get to free throw line..Played no defense at all...All three breakdowns are because of No Simmons....They were completely out of sync....I couldn't even
watch after the 9 min mark...It was that bad....

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:33 am

Brown one foot out the door already??
#SaveThePeeWall

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:29 pm

Someone needs to tell them the season wasn't over once they finally won a game from Boston. Think they looked at the schedule and felt they could coast to the 3 seed. Granted, they have the head to head tie break over the Pacers so they're technically 3 games ahead of them right now with 8 to play, but no reason to make it close.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:38 am

The not ready for prime time Sixers have lost 5 of their last 7. This team has the pieces but the puzzle they're putting together ain't too pretty. This is looking like it'll be a quick exit in the playoffs with their poor defense.
Hey Joe, how key is Simmons when he only takes one shot in the entire second half? One shot! If you don't have to defend a guy then it's that much easier to help defensively on Reddick and Embid. The guy simply isn't progressing to be a superstar at this point. Unless he's out running and leading the break he's not even looking to try a shot. Running down to the 15-foot area and not trying to break down a defender or work off a screen for a shot is pretty easy to defend. It's like the ball is a hot potato for him at that point.
Never thought I'd say it, but Brown's coaching down the stretch just isn't good enough either. Oh well, it's baseball season...

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:07 am

Nothing matters until the playoffs and how they do in the playoffs. Of course people would want to be doing better down the stretch, but they've played multiple games without Embiid and Butler. And last night was a game where they just didn't make the shots down the stretch in the last 2-3 minutes. That's what needs to happen differently in the playoffs, how they perform in the last 5 minutes. They were better than the Bucks all last night except in that last segment of the game and that's where they lost it. Same thing happened last year with Boston, all close games, and almost all of them lost with execution at the end. Magic number is 2 to get the 3 seed and I see them doing that. They'll win the first round 4-0 or 4-1 and then it will be the Raptors with Toronto having home court. That's where this team will be measured and that's a series frankly they need to win. Do that and I think we're playing in the NBA Finals with a shot to win it all. But everything will be judged based on the playoffs.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:08 am

What the Sixers need to worry about is their bench...Thats the problem...Simmons (the other Simmons) have given us nothing...Ennis very little...Ben had 13 assists and still creates open looks.. Harris is also hurting us w his play lately....
I think they will be fine if healthy....