Phillies 2019

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Re: Phillies 2019

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:06 am

Ain't that the truth. Gotta give to get, and you may be on to something with Hoskins. Hate to do that but he's probably the one who'd give back the most value. I wouldn't do it but it isn't a far off scenario.

Hey, how about them trotting out Ramos and Quinn to help get them thru that mess last night? Bringing Quinn in especially. That tells you all you need to know about their confidence in Velasquez tonight. They know tonight will be a bullpen night. How can you be a contender just knowing that you have a staff that can't get you to the 7th on any given night except when Nola pitches?

Kapler is in way over his head here but this mess is squarely on the GM and ownership. As bad as he is at moving the game pieces around the board, it's on the others to make sure he's playing with more Knights than pawns.

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:11 am

Enter the latest Phillies 50-50 drawing. Losers get free tickets and the winner gets a gun.

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 9:35 am

The Phillies are a mess and Klentak's burn it to the ground and rebuild is in shambles. And so are the minors. But I don't agree with another round of wholesale trades of established players for prospects. Look where that has gotten the Phillies. Hernandez, yes because Kingery can move to 2B. But no way Hoskins and until there is someone better than Franco, no to trading him for 20 year old year old prospects years away from the majors. What a shitz show Computer Boy is running. And this will be Kapler's last year as a MLB manger. He is better than last year but he is just not cut out for it. Bad times in Philly. The luster of the Harper signing is already gone.

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:51 am

Talk about an entertaining game....Finally offense overcomes bad pitching...It is what the Phillies were hoping for...However it hid all their weaknesses bad pitching disappearing offense for one game...They didnt have a hit from second inning on but in the 9th LA played no doubles defense and it killed them as the Phillies out of no where exploded for 3 runs as Harper gets his first Philly walk off...It even had Neris who blew save again, drilling Freeze high and tight that was actually behind his heads...stay tuned for this one....Kap said it was not intentional...Bo and Kruk said different....Neris definitely threw at him and was tossed.....MLB panel also said it was on purpose....I loved it. old school baseball....However no way u throw at a guys head....

MLB called it the game of year.....Man this team needs pitching.... Phillies in on Robbie Ray but dont have the juice...Amsinger Plesac and Byrnes got into a heated debate on All Star game slide and it was heated to point where tweets were coming in saying benches getting ready to clear in studio lol....Then watch astro angel game as Angels got even drilling Marisnick high and tight,,,,,Again some old school payback...Wow!!!!!!!

What exciting and fun to watch baseball last night......complete with everything.......

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Jul 17, 2019 8:20 pm

Lost Bruce to an oblique but Nick Williams is hopefully ready . He admitted that his last Call up he wasn't ready to play. Lets go on a 9 outta 10 game roll.

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:43 am

Another display of bad baseball by this team J....Thats what they need a 9 or 10 game roll....They haven't done it all year...I think their longest all year is a 4 gamer....We just don't have the rotation to do that...How many walks last night? 10......Are you kidding me....Terrible Offense non existent....Feeble AB after feeble AB....Then Kingery of all people blames the delay....I thought the Dodgers had the same delay....
Well we have Nola going today....Hopefully we get him some runs.....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:49 am

Once again, Nola has to go out and be almost perfect to get these guys a win and a series split. If he pulls this off today, where he gets no run support, I'd give him the Cy Young trophy just because.
It's unbelievable how inconsistent this offense has been and the pressure they're putting on the already weak pitching staff. Tough combination.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Jul 18, 2019 7:57 am

joe c wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:43 am
Another display of bad baseball by this team J....Thats what they need a 9 or 10 game roll....They haven't done it all year...I think their longest all year is a 4 gamer....We just don't have the rotation to do that...How many walks last night? 10......Are you kidding me....Terrible Offense non existent....Feeble AB after feeble AB....Then Kingery of all people blames the delay....I thought the Dodgers had the same delay....
Well we have Nola going today....Hopefully we get him some runs.....
I blame the shitty lineup & throwing the shitty bullpen 6 2/3 innings. Maybe if Gabe was such an analytical manager he would've picked last night to throw an opener knowing an early rain delay was coming...
Rocco is teetering

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:07 am

Lets face it once we knew it was a pen game we knew we were dead....Our only chance was if offense overcame it...They couldn't which has become par for the course.... Has to be the most underachieving team in Phillies history....I couldn't even stay awake to watch this slop....Then Kap actually said at least we saved our big guns for Nola....huh????????????/. Again are you kidding me....I thought the goal was to win every game....Unbelievable.....

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:33 am

Two games over .500 after almost 100 games wasn't what I had in mind for this group. A lot of baseball left to play but this team just doesn't look like its going anywhere.

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:49 am

Throw in the Phillies extended Klentak and N\McPhail were extended in March...This is being reported by MLB..No announcement from Phillies....hmmmm....

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:13 am

Phillies offense finally picked up Nola...It's about time..He just didn't have it yesterday.....Harper starting to impose his will...Great to see...The you tube crew (no broadcast by Phillies crew) talked about Mcphail saying he would not go after help for wild card....Now we hear they are close to signing stiff Drew Smyly..Are you kidding me...Hasnt pitched in quite a while coming off Tommy John...Already been cut by 2 teams and got raked so far this year...Another bargain basement possible sign to a minor league deal...Embarrassing.....Seriously????????????????????

The other factor that is transpiring is every team is in hunt for wild card except Miami....It makes things interesting.....

I love what Hershiser said about McPhail's words..."if not now, when"..

That was first you tube broadcast and using the Comcast app it froze repeatedly so I switched to firestick you tube and had no problems....Effin Comcast....

Just an opinion......If the Phillies sweep the Pirates then what.... We are facing 3 pitchers with higher ERA's than we are trotting out....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:46 am

I think it's a done deal with Smyly Joe. Hey, can a fly ball lefty be any worse than their current 3,4, and 5 guys? Guess it's a shot in the dark. I just hope they're looking for more than him over the next two weeks. I think they're still in on Greinke and Minor.

Oh, and somebody go tell Dave Roberts to eat it. I'm glad to finally, finally see someone on the Phils getting fired up with a bit of emotion. It doesn't happen enough.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:30 am

The Smyly thing is an absolute disgrace....He has been cut twice as Milwaukee is desparate for pitching let him walk...This guy got rocked at Triple A for goodness sakes..Hasnt really pitched in 2 years... He is a joke if they go thru with this...You can read the article about this on Phillies Web.... WIP having yet another field day with this embarrassment...This also tells how bad farm is and that alone is on Klentak and scouting department...Throw in we signed Salas a Mexican league reject...The moves we are seeing may tell us the direction this organization is headed...Right back to the band aid attempted fix hoping for a miracle..Its awful...
Oh Wait Irvin is back because he did so well the last 2 times...

Youdee they don't have juice for Minor they just dont....Greinke can be had for less but they would have to take his contract and its massive...The Phillies already said they will not spend past luxury tax...Their words and I dont blame them....
In my opinion. and it may be the right thing I just dont see them making noise....I definitely would not give up anything for a rental....Now if we could get a real pitcher or outfielder under control then I would think they would give consideration....Problem is it worth a wild card game and if you Winn have to play the dodgers who will have their rotation set up....Remember Nola would have to pitch Wild card game...So he would not be ready for series to maybe game3 or 4....

I honestly cannot see this team getting a wild card...As Coach Mike told me before a game was played we are still at least a year away....
Something must be done about farm system....

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm

It looks official...What an absolute embarrassment and cheap shot to the fans....Salisbury reporting that this slop is starting on Sunday....MLB said maybe they saw something...Yup they saw his 8. era in his 6 or 7 starts earlier this year his close to 5 era in triple a.....They saw he hasn't pitched before this year since 2016.....It has been some of the best WIP I have ever heard.....What a disgrace......This is what they bring to a race.....You have got to be kidding me....Just think what the players that are busting their azz are thinking....
Braves get Keuchel we get Smyly.....Nice....

Maybe it will work out you never know but the fact that this organization even tries this tells us plenty...Fitst just how bad the farm system is and 2 I guess we are out of stupid money....Maybe we can use some of the proceeds from dollar dog night to buy a pitcher from the Delaware Semi pro league....
Wait we finally have a lefty starter.....I will be glad to eat crow.....

An absolute Embarrassment.....