Phillies 2019

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Re: Phillies 2019

Post by Henweigh » Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:05 am

joe c wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 4:43 pm
It looks official...What an absolute embarrassment and cheap shot to the fans....Salisbury reporting that this slop is starting on Sunday....MLB said maybe they saw something...Yup they saw his 8. era in his 6 or 7 starts earlier this year his close to 5 era in triple a.....They saw he hasn't pitched before this year since 2016.....It has been some of the best WIP I have ever heard.....What a disgrace......This is what they bring to a race.....You have got to be kidding me....Just think what the players that are busting their azz are thinking....
Braves get Keuchel we get Smyly.....Nice....

Maybe it will work out you never know but the fact that this organization even tries this tells us plenty...Fitst just how bad the farm system is and 2 I guess we are out of stupid money....Maybe we can use some of the proceeds from dollar dog night to buy a pitcher from the Delaware Semi pro league....
Wait we finally have a lefty starter.....I will be glad to eat crow.....

An absolute Embarrassment.....
Not quite the embarrassment you were expecting there Joe. Maybe you can post this again before his next start and get it right. Hey, a broken watch is right twice per day. I'm going out today to get a pot big enough for that crow.

Sorry, just had to razz a bit. :P

We shall see, but any move that gets Pivetta out of the rotation is a good step for me.
Keepin' it real.

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Jul 22, 2019 3:04 pm

lolol. BTW I am spot on. ...We need help but the Phillies did the old typical band Ade approach,,,,Smyly pitched a good game for sure.....It won't last....He better be perfect with his command or he will get hit around...We don't need another 5...Lets recap...In a race and we get a minor leaguer from yankees, a Mexican league reject and a reliever who the Twins were sending down,,,BTW w an 8 era earlier this season who has been cut twice.....Not to mention an ERA over 5 in triple A....Our farm system is horrid....These are all facts Hen....

joe c

Post by joe c » Sat Jul 27, 2019 10:51 am

Fit to be tied...Last night watching this slop I thought Kap quit...I text Coach this team just flat out misses to many spinners and takes heat downs the middle then swings at to high heat and sliders low and away....I was in shock when Kap let the pitcher bat...R u kidding me...We also now know what we need offensively and the Braves told us....That is a 5 hole hitter as they have no respect for JT...I mean none.... Not just them but teams are now not pitching to Harper or Hoskins to get to him with men are base.

Well post game even Kruk mentioned he thought Kap didn't play to win...Davis was adamant that Kap let pitcher bat and one didnt have somebody up when Jake lost command and was getting ball up...He went off on pitcher batting and leave a completely ineffective Irvin out there...They both talked about how offense takes to many hittable pitches...Davis said Soroka wasn't that good and was getting ball up all game except we were taking hittable pitches...Kap is getting ripped and he deserves it...He said guys weren't available which really set Davis off...Then Davis ripped him for a 4 man bench....

The natives are getting restless.....Cant blame them...What a joke...Now we are scrambling for slop when we had a chance for a legit number 2 (Corbin)n for nothing.....Now we have Nola and 4 number 4 and fives.....

I can't wait to see the next band Ade move...It's coming.....Slop

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Jul 28, 2019 11:36 am

Braves ever going to make a trade?

They love those prospects more than I do, Can’t let any of them go

Lots of the best minor league talent called up to the Majors this year but the Phils didnt have any....well Haseley anyway

Keston Huira is in beast mode for Brewers ....could of been a Phillie and the list goes on and on

And Harper...... a curse?

joe c

Post by joe c » Mon Jul 29, 2019 12:53 pm

Like Bo said. "we have Nola and no one else"....Alot going on Mr C I'll start with Harper...First off this guy is a gamer...Fun. to watch plays with emotion....Plays the right way...He has not hit the bombs as we hoped...His average is 20 points below what we hoped...However he is a doubles machine...He is among the leaders in RBI'S...He produces runs and by all accounts is a wonderful teammate...He is doing this despite being pitched around....We Are learning that JT is not enough protection...It was awesome watching JT making them pay and picking up Hoskins and Harper....JT needs to p[ick it up...

What Harper is dealing with is that they will walk him in any situation...So he is swinging at pitches out of zone or borderline...What is bothersome he isn't handling hard heat up in zone....If they get 2 strikes on him a pitcher has a choice...Climb the ladder w hard heat above the zone or drop a deuce low and away or a slider again low and away...This has been highly effective on him resulting in his way to high strike out rate....HE is way late on gas...My guess is he is somewhat frustrated so he will chase....Yersterday he gets a 92 mph heater in the middle of zone and he corked it...Catcher wanted it up pitcher missed his spot and Bryce made him pay....His overall numbers are ok...but he does everything well...Has a cannon plays better defense than I envisioned...I love watching him play and...His average with men on base is in top 5 in baseball....

More news coming as Mets get Strohman for number 6 and 7 prospects...He is under control and would have loved him here...Evidently Phillies just don't have the juice as we know...I would have offered Medina and \Moniak....We will never know...I expect a move or 2 coming but for more band Ade help....Mcphail taking big heat for his comments...The irony is he was 100% correct...We aren't good enough and need too much...

Still in a race and certainly have a chance but with this rotation it will be next to impossible

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:26 am

We add Jason Vargas for nothing...Yes band Ade help..He has been pitching well...The irony is he has had some run ins with Phillies (Kingery)...The Phillies can buy him out for 2 million...Or they can bring him back which is doubtful....I expect them to make another move maybe even another starter...Maybe a late inning reliever..Klentak's hands are tied but he's trying....Getting healthy somehow is key for the stretch drive....

Giants tonight who are red hot....

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:34 am

Joe, how about Pivetta, Nick Williams, Kingery and a Pick for Syndegaard and Conforto??

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Jul 30, 2019 9:04 am

lol...is now too soon....You know I am irate over blowing Corbin...Everything I predicted is happening....We lose Corbin over years not money...Are you kidding me? Just as I said now we are scrambling for a 36 year old who won't be here next year and a guy who hasn't pitched for 2 years hoping for a miracle and he was nothing to brag about when healthy...The root of this major problem is the bad drafts as we have nothing...Farm director must go with McPhail and Klentak right behind him... This is outrageous......If we had signed Corbin we could have been looking for an outfielder and bench help...not to mention we allowed our rival to get him...He was fantastic last night mowing down the braves, no small task...Both teams are much better than us.....I am so angry....

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:23 am

Joe, you have been very Nostradamus like with your Phillies prediction's for sure.....hey, who's going to win the 7th at Saratoga today?

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Wed Jul 31, 2019 8:41 am

I'd hold on to your money for a bit there HENJOHN, Joe's probably got a tummy ache with all that crow he's eating with the Smyly signing. :P
Keepin' it real.

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:14 pm

Wow Do you only post to bust chops. How bout popping in when you have something to add and I'll get to that in a minute....
First Mr C hope you saw Harpers AB's last night we saw first hand what teams are doing to him...He had 4 bats and never saw a strike...Not one and drew 3 walks and got himself out in 4th...2 of those walks were w Segura on first...Teams have decided Bryce will not beat them...Not much respect for Rhys and JT...It's almost Bonds like...Harper is chasing out of frustration and he wants to hit..Rhys made them pay as JT did other night...

Ok hen. theres the deal....First we are in a race and this organization needs pitching and they get a guy who has been cut once and allowed to walk by brewers who BTW traded for Lyles a starter the next day who has an over 15 era in his last 5 starts...They obviously didnt think to much of Smyly either....The Phillies gambled on a guy with an over 8 era in bigs this year and an over 5 era in triple A...As I said it is an embarrassment....No shot at Smyly at all...He battled injuries and hasn't pitched in 2 years...Yeah that's who I would bring in a pennant race....Now he has looked good in 2 starts thats 2. I am sure you know the Giants don't hit lefties and haven't all year....I hope it continues but he better be perfect with his location....

What I see is he knows how to pitch...He has a below average fastball that he spots on the corners and just off the plate and he pitches inside to drop his very good deuce a 12 to 6 low in zone..He hasn't missed his spots..he changes speeds and has kept hitters off balance....He has a good cutter that he says is much better now than earlier this year...His slider is an ok pitch as well as long as he stays on borders with it... The giants missed 3 sliders (hangers) very hittable.....His deuce is a 12 to 6, uncommon for a lefty and is good.......He certainly has been a shot in the arm...It still doesn't excuse the Phillies for tying to catch lightning in a bottle....Instead of going after an established starter...This team needs a number 2 and 3 not hopes and dreams....We will see, as time will tell if he can be a long term solution...Again he knows how to pitch but if his command is off or umpire doesn't give him the corners or edges he will get hit around..

We won a game but,Giants pitcher had squat and we scored 4 that Pivetta had me pacing...Offense should have raked this guy as we missed hittable pitch after hittable pitch...

\Harper must remain cool and hope pitcher misses his spot like the other night when he corked a 92 MPH fast ball in middle of plate...No sense eating crow as what i said stands about this organization and the type of bargain basement moves they have made...We Are in a race so if not now when??

I m rooting for this man he battled his azz off to get back...How can you not....Where is all that stupid money...BTW Corbin leads league in swings and misses....Watching Braves Nats and MLBB waiting on moves...

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:19 pm

Corey Dickerson to the Phillies for intl pool $ and player to be named later? Hmm. Gold Glove outfielder who hits around .300, that will move Bruce to a pinch hitting role for the majority of the remaining season. May move Kingery to play more infield as well.
Rocco is teetering

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:48 pm

No major moves to be had. But as Joe has said many times, the cupboard is bare. Can't get with nothing to give in return. I will give the GM a bit of credit for adding some minor pieces that, although not earth shattering, will help to improve the pitching staff and bench.

Hey, since Pittsburgh already played today, it would be a future trivia answer if Dickerson gets in tonight for the Phils. Two teams in one day, the last being Joel Youngblood in 1982.

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:21 am

I have to give Klentak credit as well...His hands are tied...He is trying to improve while preserving what few hot prospects we do have....This needs to be addresseD big time....Our number one pick Stott is struggling early...Bohm hit a long bomb other night but only hitting 250...Randolph has shown nothing...The Mickster is holding his own but certainly not what you would expect from a number one pick...Howard our top prospect looks like a stud...Hasely has been rushed to bigs and is handling himself well..Hevhas good bat speed but his swing is a tad long...

I like Dickerson but it is a rental..He will start immediately.. I wouldn't count on bruce as an oblique takes time...Ask Quinny who still isn't right...Dickerson is a gap to gap doubles machine...As Bill said an outstanding defender..In Vargas we get a guy who has pitched well since mid May to the tune of a 3.34 ERA...He Is a savvy vet who can be nasty and I mean in attitude...He has had some run ins with the Phillies....He and Kingery got into it earlier this year...Scotty is struggling again 19 for his last 99....Kruk pointed out why.....

No excuse for the dreadful lifeless performance last night...Ben Davis said "they let us down" Bo let them have it as he holds nothing back...lol...Here are a couple of sad truths...1... only Miami and the Giants have scored less than 3 runs more times than the Phillies...ouch..2. Teams are hitting 190 against VV The first 2 times through the line up but over 500 the third time through double Ouch...
Lets see if Jake can gut his way through..You have to respect him pitching w bone chips...not to mention he can no longer throw his slider because of said bone chips....At least he is trying...

We are in a race as the dog days are here

joe c

Post by joe c » Sat Aug 03, 2019 10:06 am

A crazy game one that gives more questions then answers...,Kruk "There is absolutely no excuse for this"

Bo on Kap's explanation "I aint buying It"....

The bottom line is offense lost this game....That said that was the 5th loss this season when they were leading after 8 innings which is the most in baseball....

Harper continues to pull off to first base as pitchers pepper him w high heat that he can't get around on then hit him w a deuce or slider off the outside of plate..He cannot reach it because he is off balance when he pulls off and his body opens to soon to right field....Its been all year....

10 left on base innings 5 though 9...Horrible....How many strike outs 15?