Phillies 2019

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Re: Phillies 2019

Post by Hens79 » Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:45 am

What a juxtaposition when the Phillies play the Braves. Some of the Braves kids are actually stars and Acuna is a super star right now. All we heard for years about the Phillies was the prospects/young players. There are no stars let alone super stars. And then there is the miss mash pitching staff matched against a lot of talent for the Braves. There was a lot of buzz in April through June but it has been gone since August. A lot of off season work to do starting with firing Klentak and Kapler.

wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

Post by wacko4flacco » Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:27 pm

Phillies don’t have a bad team, but they aren’t a good one either. The pitching staff outside of Nola is a joke. Kingery is a decent player they seem to be in love with but is odd man out with Hernandez, who is a better hitter.

Kaplan is not my favorite, he over manages at times, and I agree Klentak stinks. Kapler isn’t the problem though, it starts with mcphail who has been living off his name the last 20 years.

The Phillies can’t develop a farm system and they especially can’t build a pitching staff from the farm system.

Fire mcphail and 3/4 of the scouts. Hold the ones accountable for their picks and that would be a start. Package Hernandez or Kingery and another for a pitcher. Add another starter and reliever after that and 2020 won’t be too bad.

Problem is the Braves do know how to run a farm system and their young players look great, we will be chasing them for years.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:02 pm

Unfortunately Middleton extended the dynamic duo to 2022 or three...So that leaves Kap...The farm director Quit yeah ok//// That is what needs to be rebuilt first...It is horrible....How can that be when for last 6 7 years we are drafting high...So we have to buy a team...Now we did as promised spend on Harper and worth every penny...Then we stopped blew it on Corbin passed on Keuchal instead chose to build a team w bargain basement other teams minor leaguers. Which also tells you about the farm...We don't even have that its so bad....Look over roster guys and check out how many low cost players we have...As Bo said we have to many players that don't belong here... Myself and Coach Mike have already called Miami or Tampa's farm directors to come to Philly.. They just keep producing players...

Now Wacko asked a good question...Hernandez or Kingery...And Poor C and Mike know I like Cesar despite his glaring faults led by stupidity....The Phillies will stay w Scottie I believe and I would to Unless they give a full spring and commit to playing him. at third...The Phillies offensive numbers are much worse when Cesar doesn't play...Very noticeable....So maybe that is an option...

The big question is Hoskins? Hitting 190 for 3 months w little power and bad defense is no slump...What do the do here? He is a battler and hard worker and plays the game right... So I think they will start him out working W Charlie and hope he figures it out...He is much better than this...Davis has done 2 slow motion breakdowns on what he he doing wrong..They were both fantastic...Schmidt has even talked to him....

Phillies need a lot, third baseman, Center fielder 3 staring pitchers and not journeymen slop at least 3 relievers and major league types. And we have Klentak to see it through....I am so confident.....

Would love to see Gerardi or Sciosa come here..Reporters have reported Sciosa has made overtures and Gerardi flat out said it on a Saturday broadcast.... Joe Maddon Anyone?

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 am

I'd bring in Maddon. Local guy that may bring some buzz to the stadium. I know the Cubbies faltered down the stretch too, but the guy can simply out-manage Kap, that's for sure.

Joe it looks to me like Cesar is your only chip in a trade. Bring up Bohm at 3B, leave Kingery at 2B, and package Franco and Cesar for somebody's 3-man. That'll limit how many other pieces that they must buy outright. Heck, throw in Knapp just to drive those guys to their new city.

Help Nola out with a bullpen and another starter or two that belongs in the Bigs and they can't help but improve. Sure, they gotta buy a squad, but if managed a bit better this slop could have been in it to the end. Not champs but at least in the show for a couple more days.

Losing Cutch and Herrera really limited this team offensively too. Cutch ain't the long term answer but him coming back helps you focus more on getting those pitchers.

Hoskins? Get him signed up for a winter vacation with Charlie. Can't have this guy going south every 3rd week.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:38 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:39 am
I Bring up Bohm at 3B, leave Kingery at 2B,
Yep, Bohm will be the Phillies 3B next year, just a matter of when, not if.
Rocco is teetering

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:15 am

Other than getting Harper, this season has been an epic fail. But man, he is fun to watch play. And while his numbers were only decent this year (34 homers is nice but 22 players hit more), he plays all out every night, every play and I bet he has even bigger numbers next year.

The buzz from April-June started to end when everyone saw the starting pitching was really bad. I said it before the season I never want to see Pivetta and Valesquez on the mound as starters. I hope they never are. The Phillies need 2 good starters, and really a stud. They should pay for Cole. Nola really faltered in the second half this year and looks to be more of the #2 he has been most of his career rather than the #1 he was last year. The Phillies will not make the post season, let alone do serious damage if Nola is the #1. And they obviously have to fix the miss mash in the bull pen.

Many other decisions as well. But I bet Kingery stays. Just put him at 3B and keep him there until Bohm is ready. At .267 in a half a season at Reading, he isn't ready. I'd bring back Odubel too and put him in CF to solve that revolving position. He paid his price for his mistake and he can hit. Hoskins, they have no choice but to hope he works it out. Catcher and SS should be set. I like Hernandez but he could be traded too if they decide to go with Bohm at 3B and put Kingery at 2B.

Finally, Kapler should be done. Period. He has been bad from Day One including over relying on analytics. And the notion that somehow he could relate to the younger players didn't pan out with Ws. And if the owners had any guts, they would fire Klentak too. The kid is overmatched as well. But maybe he has been humbled a little and found out he isn't smarter than everyone else and will now GM with a better mix of "modern" and traditional baseball. Same goes for Kap, if they decide to keep him.

.500 and 4th place .... hum, hum , hum

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:47 am

VERY Disappointing season and effort for me as well. I think we had the talent to at least make the playoffs or a better run at it. I try real hard to be a fan of Kapler but I just cant get there. We have obvious needs his offseason. Will be watching closely.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Wed Sep 25, 2019 9:49 am

Good luck finding a GM that will take Hernandez for much of anything, He is still in Philadelphia for a reason

Wacko said it best and Joe already heard this but
Phillies will be looking up to the Braves for several years to come because of superstar Acuna and his little dynamo buddy Albies, not to mention Freeman or pitching

So much young talent made Big leagues this year, many of them like Huira for Brewers were on table for Phillies on draft day but Phils passed

I’m no fan of Kapler and his ways but did the organization really help this guy? No they did not...

Considering all the injuries and all the questionable trades the scrapheap acquisitions, its really kind of surprising the Phils were not eliminated earlier, you would think they would be worse

Mets with all the pitching they have finally passed over the scrappy Phils last week

Phils in tough spot that only stupid money can fix

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:48 am

Good stuff you guys...Bohm will start in Lehigh and may be our first baseman...Franco may get us a six pack of warm beer...Here is a fact on Cesar, when he plays the Phillies average a run more a game,,,,Thats huge....79, I wold bring back Herrara as well but don't think they will...We cannot count on Quinny and it is a darn shame...So we have no center fielder..We cannot ask Cutch to play there even assuming he is healthy...
I think Kap will be back....No doubt injuries crippled this team but that's what happen when you build a team of old men...

I text My friend, Mr C when this team was in first place and said to him..."C, something is wrong and this team won't make play offs and I wouldn't be surprised if they finish 3rd or 4th...And C, I also said to you Braves will win this division going away...Did I not?
I did think Mets would be second and no team from this division wold make wild card...

Now we also know that Klentak has a very good relationship to Sciosa from his Angel days..If the Phillies fire Kap I believe their first choice will be him....

I also don't think Dickerson will not be back as he wants to play everyday by all accounts...He cannot play Center...So unless we put Cutch in center neither will be happy platooning in left....

79 Harper put up his normal very good numbers despite seeing less strikes by far than anyone in all of baseball...Hoskins 3 month long disappearance was bad..3 months is no slump...Harper is a gamer and your right he is fun to watch and including being a top notch teammate...

We need pitching and not just one guy we need several..The first thing I do is put a blank page in front of Cole and tell him to fill it in...Then I wold go after Hamils as he is a free agent and still can pitch...The bench needs a complete overhaul and not slop... What is bothersome is this team quit..No excuse for that....None!!!!!!!!!!

A lot of work to do and Klentak is to blame.....

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:38 am

Joe, my guy Odrizzi is like 16-7 with the Twins and of course Corbin was there for the taking. I was also hoping Micheal Conforto's 34HRs and 92 RBIs would have been on the Phils and not the damn Mets

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:59 pm

You can't sign everybody.

But I agree with almost everything that has been said.

The one area I don't think should be hammered is the bullpen. Yes. there guys who didn't belong but when 6 or 7 projected guys are hurt I don't think many teams survive that. And our bullpen has been pretty good since the All Star break, 3 or 4th best in the NL.

I look at Hernandez and I see a guy who does some good things and maybe our offense is better with him, but I don't see him a guy you win with.

Kapler was weird from day 1 and that hasn't changed.

I want no part of Girarldi.

This teams decline started with the injury to Cutch. It was down hill from there.
The main need without a doubt.......Starting pitching.

Disapointing season to say the least.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:26 am

Yes you did say those things you said you said Joe :D

I think you said they don’t have the championship look and I said something like well it’s too early yet As the 78 Yankees didn’t have that championship look until after the All-Star break, you were right

I picked the Nats to win the East but they got off to a horrible start but They will have the chance to do some damage as the wildcard

Acuna shut down for the rest of the regular season hope he is ready for the playoffs No 40 40

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:02 am

They never had that LOOK to me even when in first..I thought the Mets would be the team to battle the Braves but no-one did... Mr C had fun riding me about the Mets early..He was man enough to take the jabs from me as the Mets starting playing ball...

The Nats are dangerous but the Brewers are hot despite losing Yelich...Hats off to Coach Miked who touted Yelich to me when he was first called up...He said "Joe Phillies have to get this guy"... Boy was he right....Looking forward to Playoffs...

Our little baseball group doesn't miss much...I enjoy getting texts from C about prospects.. He will tell me to check out a kid in the White Sox organization to look out...He is good...
Now we are centered on the Arizona fall league...
Of course I delight bragging on Sixto to them who was lights out for Miami's double A team...
All of us are keeping our eyes on Spencer Howard of the Phillies pitching for the Scorpions in Arizona...I believe he should start in Lehigh and on fast track to Philly....

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:30 am

The Mets are now 7 games over .500. Eliminated but will end up ahead of the Phils. I had the Mets ending up 3rd behind the Braves & Phils. I didnt think the Nats would play as well as they did.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:47 am

I think the White Sox are a team that will be ready to make a move next year

The emergence of Giolito has been a bit of a surprise, but he came on real strong this year
Rookie Dylan Cease has great potential
And Kopech if he can Come back off of surgery will be the key

Joe the player I Told you about was Luis Robert and a Cuban, And boy Could the Phils use some rice and beans in the lineup just look at the Caribbean Twins baby

Moncada is starting to get very comfortable

Eloy Jimenez is a beast

Tim Anderson is turning in a great season

They have a real good hitting second baseman Madrigal just drafted last year out of college yet another one I Phils let go by, Will have to find a place for his bat

They still need a few pieces but my prediction is watch out for the White Sox