They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:44 am

Thought it was worthwhile to start a new thread with the start of free agency. Sixers go unorthodox with their moves and I like it. Butler was always a weird fit both on the floor and off of it. Sixers will need to find a way to replace his late game playoff scoring, but that's like 10 months away or so so plenty of time to do that. Butler's defense didn't really materialize, especially in the playoffs, and could be a function of him just getting older. And while I liked JJ Redick, and they haven't replaced his 3 point shooting, there's no doubt that having him on the court in the playoffs was a liability at times and being 35 years old this year, that wasn't going to be getting any better. Picking up Richardson was nice - he's a cheaper, younger, better defender but less of a scorer than Butler. And the Sixers have clearly decided to go defense first, not only with this, but with the drafting of Thybulle and Zhaire Smith the year before. Now there's three guys who can legitimately play defense on the wings which is about three more guys than they had previously. The Horford fit is tougher, but I like it. Embiid can't play 80 games in a season, and without him the defense was noticeably weaker. That doesn't happen anymore when you can rest Embiid and have Horford on the floor. And when they're both on the floor, Horford is plenty skillful enough to play around Embiid and help get him the ball. You had to pay a bit for Horford but he's such a good piece for the Sixers I think it's worth it.

All of this, though, depends on Tobias Harris re-emerging from his disappearing act in the playoffs to be the scorer he's supposed to be. Without Redick and Butler that means Harris will certainly get the opportunity to do that. And it depends on Simmons continuing to improve on the offensive end, including the scoring part. Again, Butler leaving means the path to the basket gets easier, but it also means Simmons needs to touch the ball more later in games when Butler was taking over.

And with all of this said, if Kawhi goes to the Lakers, I think the Sixers are setting up to be the kind of team that can defend against a Kawhi/Lebron/ADavis/Kuzma kind of team.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UDPat

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:09 pm

Been working on my FT's!!!!!!! Form is outstanding 8) 8)

But let's be real, I'm not the guy that should be shooting at least 1000 a day. :roll: :roll: :roll:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 am

You'll be criticizing them right up to the moment that the float during the parade goes by. :lol:

They are far from perfect, and Simmons and Embiid both have more improvement in their games, but I'll take that with a 23 and 25 year old respectively.

joe c

Post by joe c » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:04 am

Hey GF Have you caught any summer league so far..Of course second rounder is already hurt...What a shock...Ist rounder is aggressive and not shy a definite defender and has at least some game as bench help..However from what I watched he is limited in his ball handling skills....Put it this way he won't be bringing ball up....Now the player that has impressed me at least a little is Smith..He has offensive skill....The Sixers roster is said to be basically set and there isn't much they can do as they are up against the cap....The reports are they are looking for a sniper...How bout that...Korver is available but Sixers would have to get creative to fit him in the salary structure....How bout Coangelo traded next years number one and two for a Euro stiff that even ifs he could play we couldn't sign him...So the Sixers relinquished his rights and we still lose our picks...Not that it matters as they can't draft anyway....Nice job Coangelo...What a mistake he was...Horrible...WIP isn having a field day on this one..

The good news is they are working on a max extension for Simmons that will keep our Dynamic duo in Tact..
Great show last week by Stephen Smith and 2 other "experts" on the Sixers...Smith says Now and already that Sixers will come out of East...They should have this year...I hope you saw it..It was entertaining and funny....

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Jul 10, 2019 10:11 pm

I agree Joe, Smith will contribute this year - he's got some nice hops. I wouldn't give up on Tybulle yet - he can still make a lot of progress as he gets used to the NBA game. He needs to be better defensively on the ball IMO - looks nice off the ball. But I think he'll get there. Shake Milton basically played himself out of playing time with his crappy summer league performance. Neto will get his playing time now. I don't think it'll matter much - come playoff time those guys aren't seeing the floor anyway. Top 8-9 look very strong. Good year to be a Sixers fan. And yes, Colangelo may have been the worst GM in history (thank you NBA powers that be that forced us to hire him as penance for tanking).

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:14 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:01 am
You'll be criticizing them right up to the moment that the float during the parade goes by. :lol:

They are far from perfect, and Simmons and Embiid both have more improvement in their games, but I'll take that with a 23 and 25 year old respectively.
I don't criticize the team, but I don't think they are as good as most people think. And James Ennis??? Please shut your mouth you moron!!!
Walk thru the East now that Kawai went to the Clippers. What an idiot!!!!

I still see holes:

1) They now some good 3 pt shooters but no sniper. Kyle Kover?? Please, glad they didn't get him
2) Back up PG
3) 4th Quarter offense?? Aka the playoffs, Who's the PG in the 4th Quarter of the playoffs? You don't have Jimmy Buckets to fall back on.
4) Is that ELITE( :lol: :lol: ) player going to step up and expand his game??

What's funny, when Mr Elite came up ridiculously small in Game 7 as He did pretty much thru the playoffs, not one post. That told me all I needed to know

While I explained in basketball terms(expanding the D not able to back off into lane because of zero threat outside of 8 ft, creating better passing lanes inside and finally not having to completely revamp your offense cause your PG can't shoot from the outside or FT's) how an outside game by him makes the entire team and himself(with it He could be that once a decade generational player) so much better, without, the best passing 4 in the league, that's all. 16 pts and 8 rebounds a game are slightly above average for that position.

These were the 4 reasons I was told He was

1) I, UDPat is an idiot and doesn't know the game
2) He was rookie of the year
3) He made an All Star Team in his 2nd year
4) This is the case cracker: If He worked on his outside game, it would take away from the other areas of his game. COMICAL!!!!!
These are spoken like a true fan, not a basketball guy.

My point: I believe the only way this team can accomplish what we all want to see: A championship!!!! This one guy has to expand his game to become that Elite player that He is currently far from being!!! If He does, He hides alot of the other weaknesses this team has.

It is a team game but when a team is going to invest 170M, That individual needs to step up and there is only 1 way He can do that.

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm

Funny I have finally learned to stop posting to idiotic posts...If you must know why.... Didn't need to post...We got beat...Funny how your post only comes when you have something negative. Also funny we didnt hear a peep from you after game 6... Not to mention from a guy that didn't watch 3 games all year if that....Perhaps you can go back to UD hoops board where you know what your talking about.

Should we talk about Harris and Butler (who vanished in game 7) and Harris who was no where to be found the whole playoffs or Embiid who didn't show up as well...Or Brown who was completely out coached....

How do you like the summer league so far...I am sure you watched or was it like the real team and season and read the headlines.

Like I said never argue with an idiot as they will pull you down to their level and beat you on expertise!!!!!

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:08 pm

joe c wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:27 pm
Funny I have finally learned to stop posting to idiotic posts...If you must know why.... Didn't need to post...We got beat...Funny how your post only comes when you have something negative. Also funny we didnt hear a peep from you after game 6... Not to mention from a guy that didn't watch 3 games all year if that....Perhaps you can go back to UD hoops board where you know what your talking about.

Should we talk about Harris and Butler (who vanished in game 7) and Harris who was no where to be found the whole playoffs or Embiid who didn't show up as well...Or Brown who was completely out coached....

How do you like the summer league so far...I am sure you watched or was it like the real team and season and read the headlines.

Like I said never argue with an idiot as they will pull you down to their level and beat you on expertise!!!!!
Name calling, check

Deflecting back to the Sixers, check

Still can't support your claim about Simmons?? Those 4 lame a$$ reasons posted above are only what a fan can produce. Not one aspect of basketball. Please I'm begging just give me one???

I told you in January my concerns about the Sixers, esp. how it related to Simmons and I didn't think they were set up for playoff basketball. And I was pretty much dead on. Both about the Sixers but I was dead on about Simmons. Don't play the hawks or Suns in the playoffs.
You call me an idiot??? When you see it 6 months in advance........That's a visionary!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :wink:

Can dish it out but can't take it. Yep that's you.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:20 pm

What's better?

Watching basketball or almost 40 years of playing and coaching??

As I told you before, PM me and I will give the name of the GoHens poster who did some digging into my background and found out everything there is to know about my hoops background. You know this poster very well.

I can back up everything I say.....you? Well you watch basketball!!!! I needed that laugh. My day has been made

joe c

Post by joe c » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:10 pm

Sad something this minute can make your day...I do appreciate the laugh though and I'm glad I could help but you surely dont need any help stroking yourself.......I m glad you have such outstanding hoop skills but I guess you missed it. Never said any thing to the contrary except challenging you to prove it and you declined....Thats a whole another matter and the would be just for cash and fun....It still doesn't change your idiotic posts..I also see you need a class in reading comprehension as I called your post idiotic and comical....which they are...Like I said go back to the hens hoop board.....

You want to debate NBA hoops no problem....I'll eat you alive....What a shock you bringing in a name which I could have done the same trust me but thats your style...not mine....

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:31 pm

I'd be more than happy to debate the NBA, anytime no problem.

But I must ask why you continue to avoid the debate I want to have? Your comment about Ben Simmons being an elite NBA player. :roll: :roll:

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Aug 02, 2019 3:19 pm

Good to see where Herb Magee, the shot Doctor, is now mentoring BS on his outside shot. That can be nothing but a positive in his development.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Wed Oct 09, 2019 7:15 am

Congrats to Ben Simmons on connecting on his 1st 3 pointer in a game. Hit one last last against The Little Sisters of the Poor. But it's a start and a good one.

This could be the 1st step to what everybody wants. Just the threat of it is all that is needed, make the defense respect your outside game and He may turn into what people want.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:32 pm

Still early, but it's obvious this team's going to be really, really good. The addition of Horford and Richardson (basically those two guys for Butler) really rounds out the starting 5 better then ever. Bench is basically Ennis, Scott, O'Quinn (big guy), Thybulle, and then whoever wins out the fight for the 10th spot. That's a fantastic starting 5 and a really solid and deep bench. I like it going forward.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:44 am

Very promising showing last night. The Sixers will have to address the ability for the team as a whole to shoot the ball from the outside, but they also present so many issues for opposing teams that that issue won't be a serious one. Team defense is amazing (they actually forced an 8 second back court violation - I honestly can't remember seeing one of those in the NBA), anybody can cover anybody at this point. Horford and Richardson are huge upgrades for this team. Thybulle is just going to get better and better as the year moves on and Simmons, at least for a night, looked serious about taking the ball hard to rim and being a force to be stopped. Anytime he has a mismatch on him in terms of size, which will frankly be a lot, he should be looking for the ball and looking to press the issue. And they left Embiid on the bench down the stretch last night and they didn't miss a beat. This team is going to be really, really good. One down, 81 to go until the postseason gets here.