They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:12 am

bluehenbillk wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:55 pm
Bringing back Brett Brown was a mistake.

Tell me I’m wrong....
You might not be wrong. Brown's a real good culture guy but if they don't at least make the Finals this year then all the culture in the world won't matter and he'll be working somewhere else.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UDPat
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am
Henweigh wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:15 am
At this point who would want this "Superstar" Sixer anyway? In yet another bad loss last night the guy was the only one on his squad who did not take a shot from outside 15 feet. Not one! Maybe another 3 summers of long range practice will allow him the confidence to put up a long range shot about once per season. Heck, Markelle Fultz is putting up two per game. :oops:

Anyway, as this mess of a team keeps faltering and Boston keeps checking off wins, are they beginning another "process"? :lol: In the voice of Charles Barkley, this team's makeup and spacing is "turrible" right now. A change is needed before the season gets away from them.

10,9,8,7,6........countdown to when Gannonfan posts something about Boston not being that good and it's early in the season, and they'll be just fine, etc... :wink: Just playing.
Sorry, didn't see this. Maybe start the countdown with a higher number next time. :lol:

No one is going to argue that they're playing great right now. But right now is still the middle of November. We're not even at Thanksgiving yet. And as bad as they look they are still 8-5 right now, with their first game of the year against the lowly Knicks (whom the Celts have played twice already) coming up tomorrow. If this is as bad as they are then you're looking at the floor for this team being a 52+ win team. That's the worst they will be. To say they are starting another "process" is just silly and it really undercuts anything else you say if you really believe that.

They're a work in progress and the ultimate test is the playoffs. At times you see Harris be the scorer he has to be late in the games and if he's that player in the playoffs then we'll all have a hoot looking back at these posts from people jumping ship just after Halloween. They're job is to be at their peak and healthy come playoff time, and if that means they don't have home court advantage throughout then that's something they'll have to overcome then. I'd like to see them play with the type of tenacity they showed on Sunday in Cleveland, the balls-to-the-walls killer attitude on both ends of the court. Maybe that's too hard to do too much in the regular season. They have picked up their game in past seasons once the playoffs roll around so we'll see if they can continue to do so this year. But writing them off now, when they're about to be 9-5 and haven't even gotten into the soft spot of the schedule yet is silly. They aren't perfect, but they aren't "turrible" either.
I give you credit, you tell me on the 2nd or 3rd post of this thread that I'll be criticizing them up to the day of the parade yet I will give you credit for the opposite.

I still worry about this team in the playoffs, yes no doubt they will be in the playoffs.

While about this time a year ago I was being criticized for my thoughts on the team and especially one individual. Amazing how 1 year later, pretty much everyone on the planet has come around to my way of thinking, especially where it concerns a certain individual.
And they are still a pretty darn good team. Just with some flaws

Just ordered my Luka Doncic jersey!!!!! :lol: :lol:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:34 pm

UDPat wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:27 am
Gannonfan wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:11 am
Henweigh wrote:
Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:15 am
At this point who would want this "Superstar" Sixer anyway? In yet another bad loss last night the guy was the only one on his squad who did not take a shot from outside 15 feet. Not one! Maybe another 3 summers of long range practice will allow him the confidence to put up a long range shot about once per season. Heck, Markelle Fultz is putting up two per game. :oops:

Anyway, as this mess of a team keeps faltering and Boston keeps checking off wins, are they beginning another "process"? :lol: In the voice of Charles Barkley, this team's makeup and spacing is "turrible" right now. A change is needed before the season gets away from them.

10,9,8,7,6........countdown to when Gannonfan posts something about Boston not being that good and it's early in the season, and they'll be just fine, etc... :wink: Just playing.
Sorry, didn't see this. Maybe start the countdown with a higher number next time. :lol:

No one is going to argue that they're playing great right now. But right now is still the middle of November. We're not even at Thanksgiving yet. And as bad as they look they are still 8-5 right now, with their first game of the year against the lowly Knicks (whom the Celts have played twice already) coming up tomorrow. If this is as bad as they are then you're looking at the floor for this team being a 52+ win team. That's the worst they will be. To say they are starting another "process" is just silly and it really undercuts anything else you say if you really believe that.

They're a work in progress and the ultimate test is the playoffs. At times you see Harris be the scorer he has to be late in the games and if he's that player in the playoffs then we'll all have a hoot looking back at these posts from people jumping ship just after Halloween. They're job is to be at their peak and healthy come playoff time, and if that means they don't have home court advantage throughout then that's something they'll have to overcome then. I'd like to see them play with the type of tenacity they showed on Sunday in Cleveland, the balls-to-the-walls killer attitude on both ends of the court. Maybe that's too hard to do too much in the regular season. They have picked up their game in past seasons once the playoffs roll around so we'll see if they can continue to do so this year. But writing them off now, when they're about to be 9-5 and haven't even gotten into the soft spot of the schedule yet is silly. They aren't perfect, but they aren't "turrible" either.
I give you credit, you tell me on the 2nd or 3rd post of this thread that I'll be criticizing them up to the day of the parade yet I will give you credit for the opposite.

I still worry about this team in the playoffs, yes no doubt they will be in the playoffs.

While about this time a year ago I was being criticized for my thoughts on the team and especially one individual. Amazing how 1 year later, pretty much everyone on the planet has come around to my way of thinking, especially where it concerns a certain individual.
And they are still a pretty darn good team. Just with some flaws

Just ordered my Luka Doncic jersey!!!!! :lol: :lol:
What works in the Sixers favor is that in the Eastern Conference, they match up very well with anyone they'll face in the playoffs. I worry about them when they face a team like the Clippers that can score at will no matter what defense the Sixers play, but that will be a worry for the early part of June, not a worry for when we're still in the middle of the NFL season.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UDPat
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:08 am

Didn't think I'd be the 1st.

Simmons for 33333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333333!!!

My daughter and boyfriend are big Sixers fans. She sent me that text. My response, "Bout damn time!"

But it's a start to becoming what we all hope He can be. I'll take it as a start.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm

Great read. Long season, and the SIxers finally have the chance to have the team together with all the major parts to gel over the whole season. Should be a tight group come playoff time.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/280 ... dist-drama
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Udforever1
Posts: 311
Joined: Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:21 pm
UD Class: 1900

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Udforever1 » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:19 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:17 pm
Great read. Long season, and the SIxers finally have the chance to have the team together with all the major parts to gel over the whole season. Should be a tight group come playoff time.

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/280 ... dist-drama
Was just about to post that. Great article.

Henweigh
Posts: 1662
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Henweigh » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:45 am

Another Brett Brown special in the last 3 minutes of that game. Up 5 with 3 minutes to go, only to lose it by 5...but hey, Simmons gets credited with taking a 3-pointer with that grade school desperate turn-around shot with a full 2 seconds left on the clock when he didn't have to. At least there's that.

Joel gets a goose egg. I thought he'd play a bit more inspired given that the last time he left Toronto's floor he was sobbing in tears like nobody's baby. Something tells me that the big fella was partying a bit too much going into this game and failed to bring even his "C" game. Unfortunate. Maybe he was doing load management but failed to tell anybody.

Immaturity rears its ugly head, as this team isn't ready for prime time. Some personnel moves will be needed down the stretch.
Keepin' it real.

Youdee Blues
Posts: 1034
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 3:48 pm
UD Class: 1996
Location: Lewes, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:17 pm

Looks like you and Stephen A. share the same opinion.

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=28168442

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm

It's like clockwork on here. Sixers win, nobody posts. Sixers dismantle the Heat and Jimmy Butler, nobody says a peep. Sixers lose a game they should've won on the road against one of the top 4 teams in the East and the sky is falling.

They're not going to be bad enough during the regular season to fire Brett Brown or to make significant roster changes. They're going to win something like 55-60 games. The test will be the playoffs. Can't at least get to the Finals, and Brett Brown is gone. Might be gone if they don't win the whole thing. Last night is just one more night on the road to the playoffs in 5+ months.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Hens79
Posts: 3507
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Hens79 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:19 pm

C’mon GF. Last night was a little more than “one more night.” When Embid basically takes a load management night off while being on the court, it continues to raise the concerns that almost all of the 76ers hopes rest on his shoulders. They just do. When is is healthy, rested and on, he is an immense talent capable of leading the 76ers deep in the playoffs. But history has shown he has NEVER been healthy, rested, focused for extended periods of time. Maybe this year the magic strikes and he is. But last night was really embarrassing. That just shouldn’t happen to true super stars.

Henweigh
Posts: 1662
Joined: Mon Oct 17, 2005 9:00 pm
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Henweigh » Wed Nov 27, 2019 9:37 am

Gannon - Seriously? It's like clockwork with you, too. Take the rose colored glasses off yourself. Yes, it's early, but I dare you to find a top-notch player who has ever, EVER taken a zero-spot on such an important game. Especially after coming off that floor in tears last year after a season-ending knockout. I don't like Stephen A. even a little bit. But he's spot-on here!

This team has serious flaws that can't be attributed to it being early. There may be enough time to change them but at least recognize their flaws. It wasn't just Joel being bad in that game. Simmons too! We won't even go near Brett Brown's inability down the stretch.

Look, they're 4-6 on the road, each team above them has a winning record on the road, and a 5th place finish would be a very big step backwards. They're not getting to the finals from the 5 spot. No way. So Brett Brown would be a gonner in your opinion if that happens. Get ready for it then.

I hope you're right that things will change, but it would take quite a bit to change their current trend.
Keepin' it real.

User avatar
bluehenbillk
Posts: 11344
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 7:52 am
UD Class: 1991
Location: Poipu Beach, HI/spots in PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed Nov 27, 2019 10:31 am

Stephen A said the same things I've been saying about this team for the past 2 or 3 years, nothing new really, they just don't address the issues - and that's coaching (or lack thereof).
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

UDPat
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:02 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:48 pm
It's like clockwork on here. Sixers win, nobody posts. Sixers dismantle the Heat and Jimmy Butler, nobody says a peep. Sixers lose a game they should've won on the road against one of the top 4 teams in the East and the sky is falling.

They're not going to be bad enough during the regular season to fire Brett Brown or to make significant roster changes. They're going to win something like 55-60 games. The test will be the playoffs. Can't at least get to the Finals, and Brett Brown is gone. Might be gone if they don't win the whole thing. Last night is just one more night on the road to the playoffs in 5+ months.
I believe one of the reasons the # of posts for the Sixers are down is that the main Sixer poster has not posted once since the season began. It's a shame too, cause other than 1 aspect of the Sixers, He does bring some knowledge.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Gannonfan
Posts: 9246
Joined: Wed Jul 06, 2005 9:25 am
UD Class: 1995
Location: Harleysville, PA

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:34 am

It just seems like you guys won't be happy until this team has zero flaws and they win every game comfortably by double digits and never have ups or downs. That's just unrealistic, no team since maybe the Jordan Bulls have been like that. This team has flaws, they don't shoot well, they have weird lapses even on defense when they're supposed to be a defensive juggernaut, they play disinterested at times, and on top of all of that they never seem to have every together for long stretches of time. With all that said, they are just 3 games behind the Bucks (a team that has lost at home to the Heat and on the road at the Celtics and hasn't taken a real extended West Coast trip yet), and they are just a half game behind the Heat and Celtics (who they've beaten already) and a game and a half behind the Raptors, who haven't come to Philly yet. In a 7 game series against any of those teams, the only one that would really give me pause would be the Bucks, and frankly, I'd like to see them play in the regular season first since I like how the Sixers style should matchup with the Bucks style. Until the NBA changes the structure, all that really matters is being able to churn through 7 games series in April/May/June and I like my chances with what the Sixers bring than I do any other team in the East. It ain't perfect, but unless Jordan time travels from the '90's to here and engineers a trade to the Sixers it really isn't going to be perfect. Stay healthy, play more minutes together and be ready to play in April.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

UDPat
Posts: 2119
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by UDPat » Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:30 am

Gannon,

I agree with pretty much everything you say. I'm still concerned about the playoffs. You can't play 4v5 like they did last year and expect success. I'd just like to see each Sixer reach his fullest potential, if that occurs, they have a chance.

I'd be happy believe it or not.....if that started at the free throw line but it hasn't.....yet
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Post Reply