Phillies 2020

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Phillies 2020

Post by Udforever1 » Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:08 pm

Phils sign Zack Wheeler to a 5/118 deal. White Sox offered more but Wheeler preferred the East Coast.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: Phillies 2020

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am

Worth it in my book. He needs to become a better pitcher than he's been, but the Phillies really need quality pitching and he's that and is young enough to keep improving. Keep it coming, Phils, need more help.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am

GREAT signing IMO as well. Get Bumgarner now
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Thu Dec 05, 2019 12:37 pm

HENJOHN wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:55 am
GREAT signing IMO as well. Get Bumgarner now
Yes to both

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Dec 05, 2019 6:07 pm

Gannonfan wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 10:14 am
Worth it in my book. He needs to become a better pitcher than he's been, but the Phillies really need quality pitching and he's that and is young enough to keep improving. Keep it coming, Phils, need more help.
I would say he just needs to pitch like he did in the second half of last year, not going to be any better than that... and needs to stay healthy of course.... he has a long history of arm problems
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:31 pm

Word is that Strasburg has resigned for $245 big ones. What will Baumgarner command?
Cole is going to cost somebody some good coin too. It won't be the Phils.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Tue Dec 10, 2019 5:42 pm

Your starting shortstop - Didi Gregorius
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Feb 16, 2020 8:15 am

Baseball a hot topic right now but for all the wrong reasons

the Astros ...... what to do with them.... they are going to have a very interesting season, bean balls, fan reactions.... going to be good

break up the team? not yet, but let's see how bad this thing gets... they might have too break this group up...

so far players have been given immunity, hmmmm... Shoeless Joe Jackson would be interested to know about this

How wide spread was this advanced form of cheating the Astros were using? Nobody should believe it was just the Yanks and Astros, had to be wide spread.....

Carlos Correa fans the flames even more yesterday with his unhinged interview .... Carlos, take a seat ... you are tarnished forever now.....

One more thing, as I write this I think about Joe C, who owned the baseball threads for years with his Minor League Phils reports, baseball talk and just Joe being Joe.... the baseball season will not be the same without him... We miss you Joe....
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Sun Feb 16, 2020 9:00 am

Joe C seemed most passionate about Baseball. Two months since he passed. Miss his posts......did you see that some youth league teams refuse to use the Astros name?
"recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple...."

Udforever1
UD Class: 1900

Post by Udforever1 » Sun Mar 01, 2020 8:35 pm

The death of Joe has really hit me the past few weeks since spring training started up. Joe and I talked every day about the Phils and baseball in general. We also loved to follow the Phils farm system. I’d tease him sometimes after I’d tell him about a prospect and the next day he’d be posted on the board with Joe singing his praises. Joe though had an eye for scouting, and like John said was passionate about the game. I’m really missing watching the games and texting back and forth about a prospect like Bohm, Marchan or Muzziotti.

Lot of interesting storylines this spring. First, you can tell things are vastly different with Girardi in charge. More different may be Price at pitching coach. The previous coaching staff has been called out many times this spring for their philosophy and reluctance to change. Looking forward to seeing a guy like Eflin go back to pitching to his strength, a sinking fastball, instead of trying to blow fastballs up.

Phils have said that McCutchen won’t be ready for the season. Will be interesting with 26 man rosters to see if a guy like Garlick can make the team. Right now it looks like Segura will be playing 3b and Kingery 2b.

Bohm having a good spring so far. Marchan has been fantastic for a young kid. Lot of prospects have been able to get in these first few games before they get sent back down.

Joe was no fan of Arrieta. Hoping he can somehow bounce back this year. Lot of predictions that have the Phils finishing in 4th and under .500. I think Phils can be better than that, but will all depend on pitching. And that is a big question mark.

Miss you Joe!

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:15 am

Great stuff Coach.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:36 am

Well stated Coach

Nobody can replace Joe But we all need to find a way to keep the Phillies and baseball thread alive

HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN » Mon Mar 02, 2020 10:41 am

Joe did hate Arietta and reminded me of it about everyday.