CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
hens96
UD Class: 2017

CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by hens96 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 4:43 pm

UD professor confirmed with COVID 19. Stay safe fellow Hens!

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hensfansince03 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm

Students will simply go to the bars instead of class where the risk is significantly higher of contracting. News Media and the B.S. they stir up.

hens4life
UD Class: 0

Post by hens4life » Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:53 pm

The professors will have to dumb down the online classes, so now Newark will be just
like Dewey Beach in the summer!

Off-Campus Juniors & Seniors are not getting their rent money back, so as they say...

PARTY ON...

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:26 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:20 pm
Students will simply go to the bars instead of class where the risk is significantly higher of contracting. News Media and the B.S. they stir up.
I listen to the true experts. I know that is a novel concept for some. There are still a couple in this administration. The head of the CDC just said corona is 10 times more lethal than the seasonal flu. He told that to Congress. I think they heard him. And the WHO just classified corona as a pandemic. But yeah .... it’s the media.

Not near the bottom yet. More cancellations, closures and greater impact to the US and world economy coming. And in my little world, I was really looking forward to meeting up with the gohens football practice crowd :D

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:24 pm

I think I’ll go with the world class immunologists and pandemic virus experts, but that’s just me. Maybe I should just return my biochemistry degree from UD because clearly I should be listening to the GoHens experts on this board who are infinitely smarter.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 pm

Estimated that 150 million Americans could1 ultimately be infected. At an estimated 1-4% fatatlity rate that could be 1.5M-6.0M dead.

UD27

Post by UD27 » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Estimated that 150 million Americans could1 ultimately be infected. At an estimated 1-4% fatatlity rate that could be 1.5M-6.0M dead.
Currently, the average age of the fatalities from the virus is 80 years old. If you are not elderly, with health issues, the rate is more like 1%.
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:37 pm

This virus is at least 10 times as deadly as the common flu or influenza which typically has mortality rates in the 0.05 to 0.1 percent range. The reason Ebola, SARS, the Bird Flu, and other similar viruses don't kill as many people as the common flu is not that they are less dangerous or harmful. It's because of the extraordinary aggressive measures that were taken to contain and mitigate these viruses. Can you imagine the death tolls if we treated Ebola and other pandemic viruses like we treat the common flu? Statistics need to be evaluated in full context taking into consideration all of the ancillary conditions. Seasonal flu kills 291,000 to 646,000 people worldwide each year. Now multiply that 10 times with the coronavirus mortality rate and you get a crude estimate of 2.9 to 6.46 million deaths if we treated this virus the same way we treat the seasonal flu. This is a superficial analysis of course because rate of transmission and avenues of transmission play an important role. The point is that this is very complicated and requires thorough and detailed scientific analysis and a full understanding of the nature of the virus. There is a reason why aggressive measures are being used to contain this virus. It is simply irresponsible to mock experts in the field and downplay a serious worldwide health crisis with the type of comments and insightful analysis you would hear from the drunk at the end of the bar. This is serious folks. It’s not fake news, it’s not a hoax, it’s not the crazy scientists or media overreacting. Please educate yourself for the sake of your loved ones.

exbluehenTE
UD Class: 2006

Post by exbluehenTE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:44 am

BlueHenBill wrote:
Dying from this virus is not acceptable on any account, but I think your math is off. 1% of 150 million is 150k not 1.5 million. Again I hope that is not the case in any matter. Just trying to be sure your figures you are spouting are at least calculated correctly.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:18 am

exbluehenTE wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:44 am
BlueHenBill wrote:
Dying from this virus is not acceptable on any account, but I think your math is off. 1% of 150 million is 150k not 1.5 million. Again I hope that is not the case in any matter. Just trying to be sure your figures you are spouting are at least calculated correctly.
Actually Bill’s calculations are correct.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Jaxhen

Post by Jaxhen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 7:22 am

Yes, Bill’s calculations are correct.

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:47 am

My wife is a professor at Seton Hall. They closed up shop Wed but mandated a surprisingly significant amount of work. Our public schools in NJ are getting ready to close as well.

Crazy times. Everyone stay safe.
The Dude Abides!

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:56 am

I've ben around longer than I care to mention and remember the polio scares in the 1950's when swimming pools and movie theaters were closed. That was nothing like this. Of course, the world was not as interconnected as it is now.

aust42

Post by aust42 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:48 am

Natural Selection? Maybe this is God's/Mother Natures way of cleaning up the gene pool. The human race could use it. :D

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am

One would think that with the eventual distribution of more testing kits that the fatality rate will go down to similar levels as the regular flu. Simply put, the more case that get diagnosed can be compared with the eventual fatality rate when all the numbers are in. Right now it may be, I said may be, an inflated number.
Keepin' it real.