CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:05 pm

jd of de wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:15 pm
Youdee Blues wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 6:01 pm
jd of de wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:24 pm
I’m a believer that dumb and stupid is no way to go through life; if you have a choice in the matter that is.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scienc ... -in-common
And true stupidity is to believe everything written on the internet no matter the source. Everyone's got an angle. Everyone.
If you believe that all I can say is sad, really really sad. As narcissistic a post as I’ve seen here.
I don't understand your attack. I was backing up your post. What gives?

hens05alum
UD Class: 2005

Post by hens05alum » Thu Mar 12, 2020 9:36 pm

Info Hound wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:07 pm
This just might be a diabolical plot to kill off all the boomers, and release all their (former) wealth to a younger generation!
You might be onto something here.
V for Villanova, V for veritable certainty of victory over Delaware.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:55 am

UD77 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:28 pm
UD27 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Estimated that 150 million Americans could1 ultimately be infected. At an estimated 1-4% fatatlity rate that could be 1.5M-6.0M dead.
Currently, the average age of the fatalities from the virus is 80 years old. If you are not elderly, with health issues, the rate is more like 1%.
Bill,
Curious where you got the info on a projection that HALF of all Americans will become infected. In a normal Flu season, I believe the max that has seen in a bad year was 20 million cases and about 30,000 deaths. I would highly doubt that half of all Americans will be infected.

Just heard this on the radio. There are about 140,000 cases in the world (confirmed), there have been about 4400 deaths, most of those in China where this out break has been going on for since December. Of course you can not trust the Chinese to be truthful about the amount of deaths and exposure but that is a far cry from even the 30,000 deaths that we get in a normal flu season in the US. The US has seen something like 1500 confirmed cases and 39 deaths (26 came from the same old folks home in Oregon). I read that this virus dies at 80F. Come on Summer or global warming.
if this warm weather thing is true the solution is rather easy..... just head for the Caribbean...
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

UD77
UD Class: 0

Post by UD77 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:41 am

Actually I just fell for the fake news virus info. That part about the warm weather sounded true as most flu / cold type of sickness die down in warm weather but that part about 80F is just not true. Wish it were.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 am

00bluehen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
jd of de wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Fact:

Currently there are 795,000 hospital beds in the United States.

Down from 1,500,000 in 1975

Currently there are approximately 100,000 ICU beds in the United States.

And including backup units approximately 140,000 ventilators.
Thanks JD.

Most important resource is healthcare capacity and resources. If we follow Italy’s trajectory, we are in trouble 7-10 days from now.

Some of the decisions made by the CDC and administration are shameful at best. We can’t test to anywhere near the needed capacity. It truly is a scary time to be a front-line inpatient doc knowing that we don’t have enough personal protective equipment to protect us...and we can’t test everyone we need to unless they “screen positive,” knowing the CDC’s screening questions are already outdated (for example - “have you traveled anywhere in the past __ weeks?” has to screen yes to initiate testing. Ludicrous! The thing is here!)

Flatten the curve. Wash your hands and heed the concept of social distancing.

Stay well.

Good read: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Thanks 00, jd, 01, and others for posting info. The terms “ flatten the curve” and “ social distancing” are now part of the lexicon. It is vital that people understand what is going on and why. We got a late start but hopefully it was soon enough to prevent a true health crisis and it doesn’t overwhelm the health care system. We will know in the next few weeks.

A few silver linings when we finally get on the other side of this is that the country may finally have an honest, bipartisan discussion on how to provide healthcare in this country. And also more people might see the value in good government and leadership at the top on the federal level. It is too bad that we needed a pandemic crisis to show what bad government and lack of leadership looks like.

Good luck to all especially 00 and others on the front lines.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:09 am

Free, drive thru testing by Christiana Care at the Chance Center on the Riverfront today. Way to step up Delaware!!!!

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am

What can previous pandemics tell us?

The Spanish Flu of 1918 killed an estimated 650,000 Americans and 50 million worldwide and is considered the worst global pandemic of the 20th century,

I would like to think medicine has come along way since then, Penicillin didn’t come until 10 years later. Yeah viruses mutate but still I’ll take my chances the day vice 1918.

Today we have 24 hour news coverage and social media, the word on this virus got out real quick so hopefully we are shutting down in time to avoid the bad scenario 00 spoke too

Government at all levels and specifically the CDC, seemed to be a halfstep slow reacting to this, I mean they’ve only had 100 years or so to prepare. Also in 1918, the government suppressed information about what was going on in Europe, so I think the jury is out!

My plan is just to behave like I have the virus for 2 weeks, that way I won’t infect anybody and hopefully I won’t get infected

Be safe !
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am
What can previous pandemics tell us?

The Spanish Flu of 1918 killed an estimated 650,000 Americans and 50 million worldwide and is considered the worst global pandemic of the 20th century,

I would like to think medicine has come along way since then, Penicillin didn’t come until 10 years later. Yeah viruses mutate but still I’ll take my chances the day vice 1918.

Today we have 24 hour news coverage and social media, the word on this virus got out real quick so hopefully we are shutting down in time to avoid the bad scenario 00 spoke too

Government at all levels and specifically the CDC, seemed to be a halfstep slow reacting to this, I mean they’ve only had 100 years or so to prepare. Also in 1918, the government suppressed information about what was going on in Europe, so I think the jury is out!

My plan is just to behave like I have the virus for 2 weeks, that way I won’t infect anybody and hopefully I won’t get infected

Be safe !
The Spanish flu killed in two separate periods; winter-spring, followed by a big drop in deaths and then another death spike that began that fall-winter.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 3:50 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:02 am
00bluehen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
jd of de wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Fact:

Currently there are 795,000 hospital beds in the United States.

Down from 1,500,000 in 1975

Currently there are approximately 100,000 ICU beds in the United States.

And including backup units approximately 140,000 ventilators.
Thanks JD.

Most important resource is healthcare capacity and resources. If we follow Italy’s trajectory, we are in trouble 7-10 days from now.

Some of the decisions made by the CDC and administration are shameful at best. We can’t test to anywhere near the needed capacity. It truly is a scary time to be a front-line inpatient doc knowing that we don’t have enough personal protective equipment to protect us...and we can’t test everyone we need to unless they “screen positive,” knowing the CDC’s screening questions are already outdated (for example - “have you traveled anywhere in the past __ weeks?” has to screen yes to initiate testing. Ludicrous! The thing is here!)

Flatten the curve. Wash your hands and heed the concept of social distancing.

Stay well.

Good read: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Thanks 00, jd, 01, and others for posting info. The terms “ flatten the curve” and “ social distancing” are now part of the lexicon. It is vital that people understand what is going on and why. We got a late start but hopefully it was soon enough to prevent a true health crisis and it doesn’t overwhelm the health care system. We will know in the next few weeks.

A few silver linings when we finally get on the other side of this is that the country may finally have an honest, bipartisan discussion on how to provide healthcare in this country. And also more people might see the value in good government and leadership at the top on the federal level. It is too bad that we needed a pandemic crisis to show what bad government and lack of leadership looks like.

Good luck to all especially 00 and others on the front lines.
Saul Alinsky just called to say thank you for studying the rules and applying them faithfully. WaPo stepped in though to point out the lies and deception of a Biden attack ad.

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm

Didn’t see the ad. But we got a late start and Trump was calling this a hoax just a week or so ago. Maybe you don’t like terms like “flatten the curve” and “social distancing” that CDC and other medical experts have been using?

But thanks 77, 57, all and others who think this is all or mostly political. That might even more frightening to me than corona itself. That so many of my fellow Americans are so blinded by I don’t know what. Even evidence like Wuhan China, a city of11 million and the entire country of Italy going on lock down doesn’t seem to matter. Well, at least we won’t have to hear Trump call this a hoax anymore. But we will continue to hear him lie about how many tests will be available and when. Anyway, at least he is taking it seriously now although he has had a tough time reading the teleprompter lately.

Finally, another shout out to Christiana Care and my great state of Delaware for doing hundreds of free corona tests today.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:07 pm

The administration brought the public and private sectors together. It's a good thing for all of us. Leave politics out of this.
Keepin' it real.

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:47 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm
Didn’t see the ad. But we got a late start and Trump was calling this a hoax just a week or so ago. Maybe you don’t like terms like “flatten the curve” and “social distancing” that CDC and other medical experts have been using?

But thanks 77, 57, all and others who think this is all or mostly political. That might even more frightening to me than corona itself. That so many of my fellow Americans are so blinded by I don’t know what. Even evidence like Wuhan China, a city of11 million and the entire country of Italy going on lock down doesn’t seem to matter. Well, at least we won’t have to hear Trump call this a hoax anymore. But we will continue to hear him lie about how many tests will be available and when. Anyway, at least he is taking it seriously now although he has had a tough time reading the teleprompter lately.

Finally, another shout out to Christiana Care and my great state of Delaware for doing hundreds of free corona tests today.
I am not going to reply to your myopic and misinformed statements (if you want to spew, then take the time to look up the WaPo article) but I will ask what name you called POTUS when he took early, bold action and barred travel from China? And did you call him names when he barred travel from the EU Schengen Zone countries? Probably the same names CNN and all their kind did. Did you understand what the team of professionals said about testing today in the news conference? Sorry, but you don't get real news. Look for more than one news source and not only the ones that feed your bias. And, leave politics out of GoHens.
Last edited by 77HEN on Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UD27

Post by UD27 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Why is it that nearly all the reporting has been relative to the number of people that that have tested positive for the virus, while there has been next to nothing relative to the condition or recovery of those same individuals?
"the best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter" Winston Churchill

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 pm

UD77 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 5:28 pm
UD27 wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:04 pm
BlueHenBill wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:49 pm
Estimated that 150 million Americans could1 ultimately be infected. At an estimated 1-4% fatatlity rate that could be 1.5M-6.0M dead.
Currently, the average age of the fatalities from the virus is 80 years old. If you are not elderly, with health issues, the rate is more like 1%.
Bill,
Curious where you got the info on a projection that HALF of all Americans will become infected. In a normal Flu season, I believe the max that has seen in a bad year was 20 million cases and about 30,000 deaths. I would highly doubt that half of all Americans will be infected.

Just heard this on the radio. There are about 140,000 cases in the world (confirmed), there have been about 4400 deaths, most of those in China where this out break has been going on for since December. Of course you can not trust the Chinese to be truthful about the amount of deaths and exposure but that is a far cry from even the 30,000 deaths that we get in a normal flu season in the US. The US has seen something like 1500 confirmed cases and 39 deaths (26 came from the same old folks home in Oregon). I read that this virus dies at 80F. Come on Summer or global warming.
UD77, I heard that estimate from some virus expert on CNN. I googled your question. See the info in the following link-
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronav ... 020-3?op=1

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:10 pm

77HEN wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:47 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:24 pm

I am not going to reply to your myopic and misinformed statements (if you want to spew, then take the time to look up the WaPo articel) but I will ask what name you called POTUS when he took early, bold action and barred travel from China? And did you call him names when he barred travel from the EU Schengen Zone countries? Probably the same names CNN and all their kind did. Did you understand what the team of professionals said about testing today in the news conference? Sorry, but you don't get real news. Look for more than one news source and not only the ones that feed your bias. And, leave politics out of GoHens.
LOL sport. I read, watch and listen to everything, including WSJ and even the shills on Fox late night. You sound like the Fox and Rush feed. The team of professionals said what they said about testing today because we got such a late start. It’s impact is much less now than it would have been. POTUS has been lying denying, and deflecting about testing and really this whole thing and continued it Wednesday night and today. Yeah, he took despite “decisive action” on China and probably way overkill on Europe, except the U.K. where he has properties. And his handlers had to clean up that mess. It is sad you can’t tell what a lie is when you hear one. Sadly the gaslighting has worked on a good percentage of the population. Again, Thank God he is finally taking it seriously. And JFC, are you really talking about a single campaign ad after lie after lie and denial from POTUS on corona? And thanks for not replying. But yeah .... it’s political.