CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Post Reply
User avatar
00bluehen
Posts: 5666
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2005 7:57 pm
UD Class: 2000

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 00bluehen » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:39 pm

Well, it was fun while it lasted. Peace out, gohens. Stay well.

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5710
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by jd of de » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 am

What we're going through now is bad and in the days ahead it will get worse as testing becomes more prevalent and the numbers rise exponentially.

That's inevitable. But it will peak and start to turn in our favor.

For the moment, much of what's occurred seems like a response to panic, but what's the old saying? Today's overreaction looks like tomorrow's under reaction.

The sooner we eschew large gatherings and stop the spread of the coronavirus, the sooner we can turn the tide and start on a path back to normalcy.

Credit to the author: Barry Rozner

User avatar
Caribbean Hen
Posts: 9330
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2005 12:07 am
UD Class: 2024
Location: San Juan Puerto Rico

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:27 am

jd of de wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:12 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:51 am
What can previous pandemics tell us?

The Spanish Flu of 1918 killed an estimated 650,000 Americans and 50 million worldwide and is considered the worst global pandemic of the 20th century,

I would like to think medicine has come along way since then, Penicillin didn’t come until 10 years later. Yeah viruses mutate but still I’ll take my chances the day vice 1918.

Today we have 24 hour news coverage and social media, the word on this virus got out real quick so hopefully we are shutting down in time to avoid the bad scenario 00 spoke too

Government at all levels and specifically the CDC, seemed to be a halfstep slow reacting to this, I mean they’ve only had 100 years or so to prepare. Also in 1918, the government suppressed information about what was going on in Europe, so I think the jury is out!

My plan is just to behave like I have the virus for 2 weeks, that way I won’t infect anybody and hopefully I won’t get infected

Be safe !
The Spanish flu killed in two separate periods; winter-spring, followed by a big drop in deaths and then another death spike that began that fall-winter.
This tells me we might not have a football season this year

Cold Chicken for Hen fans
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

Hens79
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hens79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:37 am

jd of de wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 am
What we're going through now is bad and in the days ahead it will get worse as testing becomes more prevalent and the numbers rise exponentially.

That's inevitable. But it will peak and start to turn in our favor.

For the moment, much of what's occurred seems like a response to panic, but what's the old saying? Today's overreaction looks like tomorrow's under reaction.

The sooner we eschew large gatherings and stop the spread of the coronavirus, the sooner we can turn the tide and start on a path back to normalcy.

Credit to the author: Barry Rozner
That’s it exactly. And why my wife and I just cancelled our 10 day Florida trip that was supposed to start on Sunday. Even if I wasn’t worried about our own health (of course I am) as we are very healthy, how could I travel and not do everything I can to help keep this from spreading???? It would be just wrong, to me anyway.

But to the folks who see only relatively low numbers today and don’t get that there likely will be a fast, dramatic rise that could overwhelm the health care system as actually happened in Wuhan, Italy and is right now starting to happen in Madrid, this is all or mostly a hysterical over reaction or still worse even a political hoax. To me, in the long run that is even more scary than corona. How in the world did we get to a place like this?

aust42
Posts: 1007
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2005 8:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Frederick, MD

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by aust42 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 12:31 pm

Travel has never been cheaper. My girlfriend is a Teacher and just got a free vacation for who knows how long. We just booked a flight to Fort Lauderdale for $235.00 and a hotel for $56 a night. Neither one of us have ever had the Flu so our paranoia level on a scale of 10 is 0.01.

On a more serious note I have friends in the Event Planning/Production business who work as Independent Contractors and travel across the country and work conference meetings for a living. Now they have no work for the foreseeable future with no severance or unemployment to tie them over. Their lives are being destroyed financially as well as many other people in professions being impacted by this whole mess.

77HEN
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 77HEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:09 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:37 am
jd of de wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:10 am
What we're going through now is bad and in the days ahead it will get worse as testing becomes more prevalent and the numbers rise exponentially.

That's inevitable. But it will peak and start to turn in our favor.

For the moment, much of what's occurred seems like a response to panic, but what's the old saying? Today's overreaction looks like tomorrow's under reaction.

The sooner we eschew large gatherings and stop the spread of the coronavirus, the sooner we can turn the tide and start on a path back to normalcy.

Credit to the author: Barry Rozner
That’s it exactly. And why my wife and I just cancelled our 10 day Florida trip that was supposed to start on Sunday. Even if I wasn’t worried about our own health (of course I am) as we are very healthy, how could I travel and not do everything I can to help keep this from spreading???? It would be just wrong, to me anyway.

But to the folks who see only relatively low numbers today and don’t get that there likely will be a fast, dramatic rise that could overwhelm the health care system as actually happened in Wuhan, Italy and is right now starting to happen in Madrid, this is all or mostly a hysterical over reaction or still worse even a political hoax. To me, in the long run that is even more scary than corona. How in the world did we get to a place like this?
I'll tell you what's scary. A certain person who would like to lead this country, purely for ideological reasons and political opposition, criticizes decisions to stop travel from the EU and China. You declined a visit to FL (I, and my wife, bailed on an expensive prepaid ski trip to northern Italy with a group who returned just prior to the ban) based on a sense of personal interest and responsibility to community, but this wannabe leader would make a point to continue free travel and entry in to our country (against the advice of public health officials) and wrongly criticizes the current leaders for implementing the ban. That's scary.

User avatar
Henzone
Posts: 10953
Joined: Thu Jul 14, 2005 6:42 am

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Henzone » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm

Scary is you bozos talking about the politics of the situation on this board. Let's talk Blue Hen anything even if it's repetitive rather than political agendas.

Besides I can't stand agreeing with 79 !!!!
Image

User avatar
The January Man
Posts: 120
Joined: Fri Oct 18, 2019 11:15 am
UD Class: 1996

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by The January Man » Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:57 pm

UD27 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Why is it that nearly all the reporting has been relative to the number of people that that have tested positive for the virus, while there has been next to nothing relative to the condition or recovery of those same individuals?
Well this is certainly an interesting/good point. I would agree with you.

I totally understand the need to put out the numbers of how many are positive, but, they could also put out the number of positive tests who are now healthy and back their normal day to day life with no symptoms. How long did it take them to recuperate? What medications helped?

77HEN
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 77HEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:11 pm

The January Man wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:57 pm
UD27 wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Why is it that nearly all the reporting has been relative to the number of people that that have tested positive for the virus, while there has been next to nothing relative to the condition or recovery of those same individuals?
Well this is certainly an interesting/good point. I would agree with you.

I totally understand the need to put out the numbers of how many are positive, but, they could also put out the number of positive tests who are now healthy and back their normal day to day life with no symptoms. How long did it take them to recuperate? What medications helped?
Exactly, there is lots of info not being developed or provided. Just realize this, the average age of people succumbing to this virus is 80 years old plus and most had other health issues. We are given risk % of various age groups but not a histogram of the age groups of all the people who have passed. We are not given the percent of people who require serious hospitalization. All the attention is on the number of infected and we get limited info on deaths. Imagine if statistics were constantly published about everyone who contracted the normal flu on a daily basis or even hourly. Imagine if we got the same for auto fatalities. Not downplaying this, but there are a lot of obvious and simple questions that aren't addressed.

Hens79
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hens79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm

Henzone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm
Scary is you bozos talking about the politics of the situation on this board. Let's talk Blue Hen anything even if it's repetitive rather than political agendas.

Besides I can't stand agreeing with 79 !!!!
Glad you have the common sense to agree with me. This one isn’t that hard to figure out what right looks like. And all I did was agree with jd’s common sense post and added we are trying not to become Wruhan, Italy and now Madrid no matter what some may believe. It is pretty obvious to most, other than banning travel from China, we got a late start on this and whatever happens next will be worse because of it. If some think that is political, TS.

But hey, let’s revisit the recent years on gohens, when up until a few months ago whenever anyone criticized Brock or Rocco, it was met with a whaddabout KC from a few. Kinda like the joker above’s whaddabout Biden? I am game. I have a lot of downtime.

77HEN
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 77HEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm
Henzone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm
Scary is you bozos talking about the politics of the situation on this board. Let's talk Blue Hen anything even if it's repetitive rather than political agendas.

Besides I can't stand agreeing with 79 !!!!
Glad you have the common sense to agree with me. This one isn’t that hard to figure out what right looks like. And all I did was agree with jd’s common sense post and added we are trying not to become Wruhan, Italy and now Madrid no matter what some may believe. It is pretty obvious to most, other than banning travel from China, we got a late start on this and whatever happens next will be worse because of it. If some think that is political, TS.

But hey, let’s revisit the recent years on gohens, when up until a few months ago whenever anyone criticized Brock or Rocco, it was met with a whaddabout KC from a few. Kinda like the joker above’s whaddabout Biden? I am game. I have a lot of downtime.
Former coaches are gone and irrelevant. Sleepy Joe is trying to become POTUS. Big difference. You seem incapable of any logic and woefully short of brain power.

Hens79
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hens79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:29 pm

77HEN wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:33 pm
Hens79 wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 3:31 pm
Henzone wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 2:18 pm
Scary is you bozos talking about the politics of the situation on this board. Let's talk Blue Hen anything even if it's repetitive rather than political agendas.

Besides I can't stand agreeing with 79 !!!!
Glad you have the common sense to agree with me. This one isn’t that hard to figure out what right looks like. And all I did was agree with jd’s common sense post and added we are trying not to become Wruhan, Italy and now Madrid no matter what some may believe. It is pretty obvious to most, other than banning travel from China, we got a late start on this and whatever happens next will be worse because of it. If some think that is political, TS.

But hey, let’s revisit the recent years on gohens, when up until a few months ago whenever anyone criticized Brock or Rocco, it was met with a whaddabout KC from a few. Kinda like the joker above’s whaddabout Biden? I am game. I have a lot of downtime.
Former coaches are gone and irrelevant. Sleepy Joe is trying to become POTUS. Big difference. You seem incapable of any logic and woefully short of brain power.
It’s called a deflection 77, talking about Biden after the rightful criticism about the late start (Other than the China ban) aided and abetted by Trump. Just admit it. And admit that Trump has continually lied about corona, like he does just about everything. He has. No spin involved. They are words from his mouth. From when tests would be available, to anyone that wants a test can get one, to when a vaccine would be ready, to whatever Google is working on. Like I have repeatedly said, thank God he is finally taking it serious. But the late start will will have consequences that people can actually see and experience for themselves or people they know. No bullying, tweating or threatening to sue will change that. But you guys have defended and deflected criticism from a narcissistic, serial liar all these years, so even in a crisis it is to be expected. And since you brought up Biden, I am more than happy to view any polling on trustworthiness, credibility .... anything relating to truthfulness. Anyway, back to corona, I hope we have done enough to flattened the curve. The next two weeks will be critical.
Last edited by Hens79 on Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

77HEN
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 77HEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm

Rightful criticism? Everyone has an opinion and no one is absolutely correct. It won't be "deflection" come November and it's appropriate to point out errors by the apparent alternate choice. BTW, are you ready to provide that Russian evidence that was so plain for all to see? Pure political hack.

Hens79
Posts: 3646
Joined: Sat Dec 10, 2005 9:23 am
UD Class: 0
Location: Newark, DE

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hens79 » Sat Mar 14, 2020 5:08 pm

77HEN wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:35 pm
Rightful criticism? Everyone has an opinion and no one is absolutely correct. It won't be "deflection" come November and it's appropriate to point out errors by the apparent alternate choice. BTW, are you ready to provide that Russian evidence that was so plain for all to see? Pure political hack.
We got a late start for Christ sakes and most and even you know it. And no comment on the almost pathological and constant lying? I know it is hard to get your head around you support a serial liar. After all, we are taught at an early age to tell the truth. And there you go with another deflection. I guess it is a learned coping skill? Or perhaps some form of projection?

77HEN
Posts: 4263
Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:18 pm
UD Class: 1981
Location: Out West & Far Away

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by 77HEN » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:29 pm

Not going on with this. Ir's inappropriate for this site. Everyone will have to view the positions and decide on their own when Nov. comes. We all know Joe has at least 3 EC votes locked up no matter what. It's a good start, maybe he'll get a VP pick to help take RI.

Post Reply