CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by Hens79 » Mon Mar 16, 2020 5:05 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:41 pm
Well, look at that. An important post that gets the point across without any political mudslinging whatsoever. Thanks for that information as we hope it doesn't get that far here in the US.
LOL .... And here’s another “knee slapper” ..... right from the boss himself this afternoon ... “it could last into July, August, maybe longer.” I am glad he finally acknowledged the seriousness of this. Leadership matters. Maybe it was the stock market tanking? Hopefully, everyone, including those who thought this was mostly a political hit job or made comparisons to the flu will finally accept it and start to act according which is extreme social distancing. That’s what has to happen.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 pm

00bluehen wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:52 pm
jd of de wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm
Fact:

Currently there are 795,000 hospital beds in the United States.

Down from 1,500,000 in 1975

Currently there are approximately 100,000 ICU beds in the United States.

And including backup units approximately 140,000 ventilators.
Thanks JD.

Most important resource is healthcare capacity and resources. If we follow Italy’s trajectory, we are in trouble 7-10 days from now.

Some of the decisions made by the CDC and administration are shameful at best. We can’t test to anywhere near the needed capacity. It truly is a scary time to be a front-line inpatient doc knowing that we don’t have enough personal protective equipment to protect us...and we can’t test everyone we need to unless they “screen positive,” knowing the CDC’s screening questions are already outdated (for example - “have you traveled anywhere in the past __ weeks?” has to screen yes to initiate testing. Ludicrous! The thing is here!)

Flatten the curve. Wash your hands and heed the concept of social distancing.

Stay well.

Good read: https://medium.com/@tomaspueyo/coronavi ... d3d9cd99ca
Doc, I hope you’re staying safe through this crisis

So We are into the 7 to 10 day window where you said things will be critical so if you have the strength after a week of chaos it would be greatly appreciated if you could give us an update from the front lines

I’m not one to make foolish predictions .... but I’m starting to think this whole thing to be just a little bit of an overreaction

I mean we’ve taken out the whole US economy for this thing

Does the end justify the means or is it still too early to tell yet?
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

00bluehen
UD Class: 2000

Post by 00bluehen » Mon Mar 23, 2020 6:32 pm

There’s no good way to answer your question, good sir. NYC is certainly the closest to the Italian experience in the US. I worry about how things there are evolving.

We are just trying to stay out in front of it as best we can.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm

I understand that Doc

I’m almost relieved you didn’t try to answer as its better you save your mental energy for the next battle

NYC is a Stephen King novel right now

I was in NYC about 5 weeks ago and on what must’ve been a suggestion from God, drove out of there and headed to Miami for what was going to be about 2 to 3 weeks. I’m still here and pretty much can’t go back now

For all of the nurses and doctors healthcare professionals food service people and janitors working in the hospital right now ....all the respect in the world do you
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 am

Caribbean Hen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm
I understand that Doc

I’m almost relieved you didn’t try to answer as its better you save your mental energy for the next battle

I was in NYC about 5 weeks ago and on what must’ve been a suggestion from God, drove out of there and headed to Miami for what was going to be about 2 to 3 weeks. I’m still here and pretty much can’t go back now

For all of the nurses and doctors healthcare professionals food service people and janitors working in the hospital right now ....all the respect in the world do you
I was in NYC March 7th & 8th - got there & out just in time apparently.

14-day quarantine now for anyone new coming to the Islands effectively ending tourism & vacationers.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:55 pm

Just back from an ultra marathon ... why stop at 50 miles?

28 states now on some sort of “stay at home” or non life essential business closures. Come Easter Sunday, no matter what “risk based guidelines” the WH pushes, almost everyone of these governors (and probably more) will ignore them .... as they should and continue what they are doing. The citizens of their states are and will be thankful they are self righteous.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Thu Mar 26, 2020 10:26 pm

bluehenbillk wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 11:27 am
Caribbean Hen wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 9:14 pm
I understand that Doc

I was in NYC March 7th & 8th - got there & out just in time apparently.

14-day quarantine now for anyone new coming to the Islands effectively ending tourism & vacationers.
Isla getting ready to extend the lock down for another 14 days, That’s right, tourist that went there cant even go to the playa right now Or they could be arrested

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Fri Mar 27, 2020 7:19 pm

Simply heart breaking watching World News Tonight as the US moves into first place in confirmed cases. And moving up the list on number of deaths as the health crisis worsens and spreads across the country. And all happening with the lead time of watching the spread from Wuhan to Europe to here. At least Pence and Fauchi are walking back the “aspirational” Easter nonsense. But the 2.2 TRILLION will alleviate some of the economic pain for at least some time while the country focuses on the health care catastrophe in the making. Protecting life and human health is , well should be priority number 1 right now. It is hard to believe this is the USA.

Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Post by Youdee Blues » Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am

Honest question: Do you believe that with more than 4 times the population of the U.S. the China numbers to be accurate? Just wondering.

Caribbean Hen

Post by Caribbean Hen » Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:41 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am
Honest question: Do you believe that with more than 4 times the population of the U.S. the China numbers to be accurate? Just wondering.
I don't believe anything coming out of that propaganda machine

in response to the pandemic they unleashed on the world
They just sold tons of damaged Medical supplies to several countries in Critical need

Hens79

Post by Hens79 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:25 am

Youdee Blues wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 10:04 am
Back to the key board.

Of course not. But I am following our numbers.

How do you feel from going from several weeks ago, “we have 15 cases that will be zero soon”, to yesterday if there are less than 200,000 deaths “we all together have done a very good job”?

Anyway, so it is now 30 April for the “guidelines” rather than Easter. That will be a reach and will all depend on testing, testing, testing, testing.

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 am

Just asked because it seems that the press was excited to put out that the US had more cases than did China when we all know that can't be true. And you made that your opening line in your post. Sensationalism still rules the day and it grabs our attention. So I just thought I'd ask.

I'm just still trying to wrap my head around the fact that we're at 2500 COVID-19 deaths in a season when the common flu was projected to claim between 24,000-62,000, with just over 20,000 being the total at the moment.

We are either way too early on in this pandemic to understand it, or it has been way overblown. I really hope it's the latter. We shall see over the next few weeks as I hope we're all doing our part with the social distancing.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:49 am

Overblown ? Sensationalism ? Tell that to my friend whose dad is one of the local HarborChase residents now hospitalized with the virus and fighting for his life. A long time UD fan and former STH, he didn't leave the facility or have any visitors for the last 4 weeks!

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:33 am

Sorry to hear that. Don't shoot the messenger. How's that one case have anything to do with the numbers reported from China? That's the purpose of the question.
I'm just stating the divergent thoughts on this issue, and wishing/hoping for the best. Feel bad for anyone who contracts this and am certainly doing my part to help stop the spread. Certainly sorry for your friend. Hope it turns out well.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:54 am

The same wackos who are poo pooing this thing are the same guys whining they can't get access to any more assault rifles to protect their homes when the riots for toilet paper really heat up. The unknown is still the unknown unfortunately because of the lack of leadership at the top.

It ain't a hoax no more !