They're Back Sixers 2018

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Re: They're Back Sixers 2018

Post by Gannonfan » Mon Apr 15, 2019 1:44 pm

It's not over yet. Hard to look worse than they did on Saturday but you don't get 2 or 3 losses no matter how bad the loss is. It's still just one game. Plenty of talent there, question is whether they play up to it or not. If they do, on to the next round (where who they face could be anyone as 2 of the top 4 seeds in the East lost their series openers), if they don't, then Brown will be let go pretty quickly and they'll have to see whether they choose to spend money on Harris, Butler, and Simmons. Still have to play Game 2 first though.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:07 pm

UDPat wrote:

Joe says He is elite.

I sure hope a team with 2 elite players doesn't get bounced out of the playoffs in the 1st round.
Oh and BTW......I agree with 100% of your comments.

But you did forget one ELITE aspect concerning Simmons and it's the ONLY ELITE thing about him: The piece of tail He is currently hitting!!!!
Well if Joe says he's elite then he must be. Two things about Joe - 1- Joe says he's rarely wrong, but #2 - be prepared for his wrath when you TELL HIM he's wrong haha.

I agree 100% with you Pat on the tail comment - she was conspicuously absent from her normal seat on Saturday - hopefully that changes tonight so even if they get run out of the building again at least we have something to look at :)
#SaveThePeeWall

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Apr 15, 2019 2:16 pm

He's not the end all but I respect Ray Didinger, and hoops isn't his speciality but

And I am paraphrasing his comments from this past weekend
"How can you be an elite NBA player when you can't make shots that the 8th grade CYO team is expected to make on a routine basis and the CYO team shoots FT's better?"

Plus the team can't let you have the ball in your hands with 5 minutes to go because you are a liability with it at that time of the game??

I guess that is elite.

Oh and yeah.....that is sweet to look at!!!! :oops: :oops:
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

joe c

Post by joe c » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:56 am

One game after the Sixers played so poorly that I couldn't even watch it, they played one of the best quarters I have ever seen....Absolutely edge of your seat stuff....Evidently Brown got "fiery" (word used by media) at half time...It looked like Brooklyn was playing All Star defense...lol...And Welcome back Harris, Simmons and Redick.....Because they stunk and thats being kind in game one....

We scored 145 and Embiid played 21 minutes.... He is hurting as he didn't even take a shot for some minutes into game....Whatever they did to him at halftime, I hope they do it again because he was a beast to star third....

Can't wait till Thursday...

HENJOHN
UD Class: 1981

Post by HENJOHN » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:48 am

Very nice win last night. Simmons showed what he's capable of doing. Monroe had good minutes and our guy from the Clippers Harris showed up.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Apr 19, 2019 7:57 am

WOW!!! They put on a clinic last night....Hopefully we wont trade Simmons before the next game...LOL...
He and Harris were amazing...The Nets game plan was to deny Simmons the ball and still couldn't stop him..The spaces he creates is second to none...He is also the reason the Sixers lead the league in defensive perimeter ratings....He pored in 31 and took over the game despite the double teaming and collapsing defense when he penetrated...

Greg Anthony made an interesting comment...He said he would like to see Simmons play the 4 and Sixers get a true point as he thinks it would free Simmons up even more....Nets had no answer... He does have to shoot free throws and that is the biggest concern with his game....I loved on how he was out there coaching..He ran a pick and roll w Bobo who didn't roll..There was Ben letting him know....

Darn shame we didnt get Korver off the bench.....Scott sucked last night....We need him to play much better...I guess the Sixers can play half court offense after all....lol...

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Apr 19, 2019 8:21 am

One of the best games the Sixers have played - they shot the lights out. Simmons, Redick, Harris all excelled. Even Boban was a force!
#SaveThePeeWall

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:00 am

Thought the same thing Bill...Simmons is the key...When he didn't play against Orlando they were lost...This guy is by far the most unique player in this league..Rookie of year in year 1 an All Star in year 2 as voted by coaches....No one in this league can cover him...The Nets tried to take a page from Celtics to deny him the ball and put the Sixers in a half court set...Great to see Brown's adjustments......Those open looks weren't by accident...They were because of Simmons...Who responded to the horrible article that appeared in a New York paper. Ben answered the bell and challenge...How old is he again..And I repeat....Magic Johnson couldn't shoot either not even a little bit good thing the Lakers didn't trade him....Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to win 2 more but a message was sent...We just won a game without Embiid and scored 131 playing half court......Barkley said before game Sixers had no chance....Brand needed to get another sniper and he did not...

Bobo was terrific out there Bill...I loved the miked up Harris...Nice Touch....I agree w HJ that Monroe has some skill and was a presence out there..They pointed out he was unsure of the rotations so he will only get better,,,

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:17 am

joe c wrote:Thought the same thing Bill...Simmons is the key...When he didn't play against Orlando they were lost...This guy is by far the most unique player in this league..Rookie of year in year 1 an All Star in year 2 as voted by coaches....No one in this league can cover him...The Nets tried to take a page from Celtics to deny him the ball and put the Sixers in a half court set...Great to see Brown's adjustments......Those open looks weren't by accident...They were because of Simmons...Who responded to the horrible article that appeared in a New York paper. Ben answered the bell and challenge...How old is he again..And I repeat....Magic Johnson couldn't shoot either not even a little bit good thing the Lakers didn't trade him....Unbelievable!!!!!!!!!!!

We need to win 2 more but a message was sent...We just won a game without Embiid and scored 131 playing half court......Barkley said before game Sixers had no chance....Brand needed to get another sniper and he did not...

Bobo was terrific out there Bill...I loved the miked up Harris...Nice Touch....I agree w HJ that Monroe has some skill and was a presence out there..They pointed out he was unsure of the rotations so he will only get better,,,

Unique??? Agree 100%. Perhaps that's a word we both agree on. :wink: He went 9 for 11 from the charity stripe but I still worry about his consistency there. Too stiff a shot, needs more knee bend for a fluid shot.

But there is a difference in doing what the Celtics try when your the Nets. Problem? You're the Nets. When you perform like that against the Celts, Raptors or Bucks in a series, then maybe some of the premature accolades being thrown around have a chance to be achieved. Not until.
All the at being said, He played a great game.

On to Game 4.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:29 am

Watch him Pat He doesn't bend his knee's and everything is a line drive...Harper doesn't hit line drives that hard....lol... He plays with the ball in his hands and has to improve..He has but he went from awful too bad...The guy is an extordianary player that every team wishes they had...He is a perennial all star and yes an Elite player in this league....Dont care what Diidinger said, should I post what everybody else says including men who actually played the game.... I don't need their opinions as "Ball don't lie"....If he shot more from deep it would take away from everything else...There are only so many points out there....Everybody has bad games..I, one time had a three base error playing 3rd base on an awful throw that allowed 2 runs to score in an all star game at Dyer Field that lost us a game....It don't get much worse than that....

As Buddy Ryan once said "you have a winner in town".....

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:33 am

joe c wrote:Watch him Pat He doesn't bend his knee's and everything is a line drive...Harper doesn't hit line drives that hard....lol... He plays with the ball in his hands and has to improve..He has but he went from awful too bad...The guy is an extordianary player that every team wishes they had...He is a perennial all star and yes an Elite player in this league....Dont care what Diidinger said, should I post what everybody else says including men who actually played the game.... I don't need their opinions as "Ball don't lie"....If he shot more from deep it would take away from everything else...There are only so many points out there....Everybody has bad games..I, one time had a three base error playing 3rd base on an awful throw that allowed 2 runs to score in an all star game at Dyer Field that lost us a game....It don't get much worse than that....

As Buddy Ryan once said "you have a winner in town".....

Joe,

I don't agree but wish him well. You have to beat the Celts, Bucks, Raptors in playoff series. That's a winner
But hey you have confirmed one thing, at 56 years old, I can shoot FT's better, 3pt shots and mid range jumpers all better than an elite NBA player. Cool!!!!!

No disrespect, but I don't think I would quote a coach(who I love BTW) who went 0fer in post season play when it comes to winning. Cause He was horrible in playoff football. 1 less win than Rich Kotite in the post season. Ouch

Watch him Pat He doesn't bend his knee's and everything is a line drive. For a guy who tells me I know nothing, THAT"S THE PROBLEM!!!!! He doesn't bend his knees. That's bball 101.

Enjoy the playoff run, I hope it lasts further than the 2nd round.

joe c

Post by joe c » Fri Apr 19, 2019 12:48 pm

Challenge accepted. How much. I don’t think you can do any of that. So tell me when and where and bring your cash. I don’t back down from any thing. I am sure you will come up with another lame weak excuse Oh can you post up’ penetrate pump In 31. Be in league leaders InTriple doubles be in league leaders in defensive stats.
I am sure you can. Hear you tell it. Here’s the deal I watcH more NBA in one night than you have watched all year

Next ridiculous comment “throwing accolades”. Lolololllll. You mean like rookie of year and an All Star in his second year. Those aren’t accolades they are facts. Is he drinking age yet?

I surely can go on but like i been taught never argue with a an idiot as they will pull you down to their level and beat you expertise.

Show me Pat. When and where. I accept your challenge. Pretend I am from Missouri and show me. Talk is Cheap
Keep on posting I love the proof. Stick to Ud hoops and I appreciate your obvious wisdom there.

And he has to beat the Celtics bucks? Man and all tHis time I thought it was a team sport.

So bring that sweet jumper you have and let me see it
Maybe the Sixers will hire you as a shooting Coach
Hear you tell it.

I got plenty more

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:48 pm

joe c wrote:Challenge accepted. How much. I don’t think you can do any of that. So tell me when and where and bring your cash. I don’t back down from any thing. I am sure you will come up with another lame weak excuse Oh can you post up’ penetrate pump In 31. Be in league leaders InTriple doubles be in league leaders in defensive stats.
I am sure you can. Hear you tell it. Here’s the deal I watcH more NBA in one night than you have watched all year

Next ridiculous comment “throwing accolades”. Lolololllll. You mean like rookie of year and an All Star in his second year. Those aren’t accolades they are facts. Is he drinking age yet?

I surely can go on but like i been taught never argue with a an idiot as they will pull you down to their level and beat you expertise.

Show me Pat. When and where. I accept your challenge. Pretend I am from Missouri and show me. Talk is Cheap
Keep on posting I love the proof. Stick to Ud hoops and I appreciate your obvious wisdom there.

And he has to beat the Celtics bucks? Man and all tHis time I thought it was a team sport.

So bring that sweet jumper you have and let me see it
Maybe the Sixers will hire you as a shooting Coach
Hear you tell it.

I got plenty more

Throwing insults around, nice!!!!!!!

Done dealing wit you sir.

Happy Easter

Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:19 am

On to Toronto after finishing off the hapless Nets. Toronto is a good match up for the 76ers if Embid is reasonably healthy. The 76ers are getting a big break maybe never having to face their nemesis, the Celtics.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:23 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Gannonfan wrote:Nothing matters until the playoffs and how they do in the playoffs. Of course people would want to be doing better down the stretch, but they've played multiple games without Embiid and Butler. And last night was a game where they just didn't make the shots down the stretch in the last 2-3 minutes. That's what needs to happen differently in the playoffs, how they perform in the last 5 minutes. They were better than the Bucks all last night except in that last segment of the game and that's where they lost it. Same thing happened last year with Boston, all close games, and almost all of them lost with execution at the end. Magic number is 2 to get the 3 seed and I see them doing that. They'll win the first round 4-0 or 4-1 and then it will be the Raptors with Toronto having home court. That's where this team will be measured and that's a series frankly they need to win. Do that and I think we're playing in the NBA Finals with a shot to win it all. But everything will be judged based on the playoffs.
They can't just turn it on come playoff time. They're too inexperienced to do so. Sure, they should win the first round but I'd say 4-0, 4-1 is pretty optimistic. Their bench is not on par with last year.
Everybody looks at the making of shots down the stretch but those last 2.5 minutes were lost on defense. One team cranked it up and the other opened the red sea.
Well, 4-1 series win. Raptors up next. Like I said, now we see what they have. I'm still pretty optimistic, it does look like they have a switch they can throw.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation