They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Youdee Blues
UD Class: 1996

Re: They're Back Again - Sixers 2019-20

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:43 pm

That's a lot of "if's Mr. Gannonfan. My goodness, maybe a hammer to the head may help too.

Really good showing by them yesterday. That was a really good win and it shows how good they are and can be come playoff time. They'll still be adding pieces before playoff time instead of waiting for all those "if's" you're speaking of. They just will. Until then I'll root for that parade as well.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:36 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:43 pm
That's a lot of "if's Mr. Gannonfan. My goodness, maybe a hammer to the head may help too.

Really good showing by them yesterday. That was a really good win and it shows how good they are and can be come playoff time. They'll still be adding pieces before playoff time instead of waiting for all those "if's" you're speaking of. They just will. Until then I'll root for that parade as well.
What "if's"? I said Harris needs to be a scorer, the supporting staff needs to hit from outside, and Embiid needs to stay healthy. There's no added pieces that will impact 2 out of 3 of those ifs. If they find a guy who can shoot and play defense better than Ennis, Scott, and Thybulle, sure, maybe they'll get that guy, but they're not going to sacrifice wing defense to bring in a shooter (ala JJ Redick). They're not replacing Harris and Embiid's health is not a replacement thing either, and frankly they've done all that they can in that regard given that they'll manage his playing time and that they already brought in Al Horford. This team is not going to see a radical transformation or a big addition - they did all of that earlier by trading Butler for Richardson, signing Horford, and drafting Thybulle. The starting 5 is set and the first 3-4 guys off the bench are set. If we're thinking the 10th or 11th guy on the roster is going to make a difference in the playoffs then somebody must've gotten hurt - we'll never get that deep.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Dec 26, 2019 4:44 pm

UDPat wrote:
Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:03 pm
They are good, no doubt.

But here are my 2 concerns:

1) Playoff basketball and regular season are 2 completely different beasts. Been proven 2 years in a row now.

2) They have a chance as long as they are not playing 4 v 5 in the 4th quarter. And from what I have seen, we can't say for sure that they won't. I won't start on the outside game of 1 individual, I don't need to, I saw this before anybody else. BUT....... Can you win an NBA title with a PG that shoots 58% from the line? Zero improvement in 4 years. That's why we can't say for sure it won't be 4v5 in the 4th Q of playoff games???

But that was a very nice win yesterday.

Gannon, I am truly hoping you will be telling me all about the parade come this June!!!
Eh, Ben did shoot 70% from the line in the playoffs in the 2017-18 season. Not earth shattering, but I would take that. I still want him attacking the rim. Heck, the Bucks had Divencenzo on him in the 4th quarter yesterday and Ben blew by him twice for relatively easy, high arcing layups. And for teams supposedly dropping off of him, which they do, when he drives he draws a bunch of attention and guys get wide open shots. I generally like playoff-Ben - he's shown, like the team has, that they have a switch and that they can turn it on in big games. Regardless, if he and the rest of the team play the defense they have shown they can in big spots, I'll take that. It's a different path to a title than most teams do, but it can work.

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:31 pm

For some reason the word "dense" comes to mind. :P

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Fri Dec 27, 2019 9:10 pm

The Sixers play their best game of the year on Xmas and naturally lay on egg in Orlando. Back to back tomorrow night In Miami. Gonna have to learn how to win on the road for the postseason...
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Tue Dec 31, 2019 5:11 pm

3 L's in a row to end the year. But I've been told that they'll be better by April...

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Thu Jan 02, 2020 10:36 am

Surprised there's not much posted on this dumpster fire. Where's our resident cheerleader? Is this team back at working the "process", or are we still holding to that bogus line that they'll be better in the spring? :wink:
Keepin' it real.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:03 pm

Sorry, busy life, haven't had a chance to post. I like the adversity. If this team was a finished product now in late December/early January then I'd be worried. As I've said since the start of the season, it's all about getting to the playoffs healthy, and then grind out each playoff win. When Embiid isn't healthy we lose. Indiana game is a perfect example. Last year's series against Toronto was a perfect example. But come playoff time, this is a team that can grind out wins in a playoff series, and really, that's all that really matters. Expect more highs and lows as we move along the season - writers will write one week, like after the Bucks game, about how this team is built for the playoffs, and then after 3 losses a week later those same writers will say this team will be lucky to win a playoff series. It's all noise until we get to the games that matter. Enjoy the ride, it's going to be fun.

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Fri Jan 03, 2020 11:07 pm

Make that 4 in a row. Gotta hand it to you that you believe they can just turn it on come playoff time. As it stands now, watching the playoffs is just as much a possibility as actually making the playoffs. There’s some serious issues to be overcome. Meanwhile in LA they’re priming their playoff run with some darned good basketball. Night and day.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:17 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 5:03 pm
Sorry, busy life, haven't had a chance to post. I like the adversity. If this team was a finished product now in late December/early January then I'd be worried. As I've said since the start of the season, it's all about getting to the playoffs healthy, and then grind out each playoff win. When Embiid isn't healthy we lose. Indiana game is a perfect example. Last year's series against Toronto was a perfect example. But come playoff time, this is a team that can grind out wins in a playoff series, and really, that's all that really matters. Expect more highs and lows as we move along the season - writers will write one week, like after the Bucks game, about how this team is built for the playoffs, and then after 3 losses a week later those same writers will say this team will be lucky to win a playoff series. It's all noise until we get to the games that matter. Enjoy the ride, it's going to be fun.
I continue to give you credit but............................You have never nor will you hear me say, "This team is built for the playoffs." I have said just the opposite for 2 years now and I haven't seen too much to change my opinion. Maybe I'm wrong this year but pretty much everything I have said concerning the Sixers has been spot on.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Good win last night against the Thunder. Kind of way you have to win in the playoffs, just one grind after another. And on the same night that the Celtics lose at Washington and the Bucks get trounced in San Antonio. Who'd thunk it, other teams have bad losses too. Clippers got throttled by 30 something at home the other day by the Grizzlies of all teams. Are people going to bet against the Clippers going deep into the playoffs now that they're hanging around the 4-6 seed range in early January?

Thursday will be interesting if Embiid can't go (on that note, got to hand it to him, haven't seen a guy come back into a game after having that amount of dislocation in a finger). Sixers have a chance to go 3-0 against the Celtics this year (despite apparently playing basketball that could have the miss the playoffs altogether as the previous poster said). Winning without Embiid, though, is likely too tall an order for this team.

Henweigh
UD Class: 0

Post by Henweigh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 am

Ah, The Man of La Mancha finally chimes in after a weak win. Did you miss the last 4 games out there fighting windmills or something? :wink:

Gotta love your positive spin. I do agree that with an added piece down the stretch this team could very well do some damage. But not as currently constructed. Got my fingers crossed. Which leads me to:

Joel and his finger? Not a pro ball player alive who hasn't had damaged fingers here and there. It's his non-shooting hand and it shouldn't be an excuse for him to miss time, especially such a crucial division game. Being out of shape is another story and reason to miss this game though. Let's just see what happens with this guy's internal drive.
Keepin' it real.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Thu Jan 09, 2020 2:59 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 am
Ah, The Man of La Mancha finally chimes in after a weak win. Did you miss the last 4 games out there fighting windmills or something? :wink:
Uh, you do know how these message boards work, right Beavis? I posted on January 3rd, after their 3rd straight loss but before the 4th straight loss. Talk about fighting windmills, the irony is impressive. :lol:

Youdee Blues

Post by Youdee Blues » Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:35 pm

Very, very good win tonight. Their spacing and effort was lights out tremendous.

Gannonfan

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jan 10, 2020 9:54 am

Henweigh wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 7:58 am

Gotta love your positive spin. I do agree that with an added piece down the stretch this team could very well do some damage. But not as currently constructed. Got my fingers crossed. Which leads me to:

Joel and his finger? Not a pro ball player alive who hasn't had damaged fingers here and there. It's his non-shooting hand and it shouldn't be an excuse for him to miss time, especially such a crucial division game. Being out of shape is another story and reason to miss this game though. Let's just see what happens with this guy's internal drive.
Btw, I failed to respond to the rest of your post.

- Win against OKC was a "weak win"? How do you figure? OKC is a playoff team in the West, and are in the midst of winning something like 11 of their last 13 games. Of course, one of those two losses were to the Sixers, but somehow that's the "weak" one?

- No one is going to argue that Embiid isn't injury prone - of course he is, that's the whole reason behind the load management and everything else. They need him healthy in the playoffs, period. Any other games he plays is gravy. And yes, he's out of shape. No one's arguing that either. But injury prone and out of shape, if he's healthy come playoff time they're going to win the East. As to the finger, even before it was revealed last night he had ligament damage, this was never your ordinary jammed finger thing that yes, that happens a lot in any amount of basketball. His finger was almost dislocated at a right angle - that's not something you often see. That, and the ligament damage, are plenty enough reasons to miss last night.