It’s on Assanis

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
wacko4flacco
UD Class: 1990

It’s on Assanis

Post by wacko4flacco » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 am

Don’t be surprised If CR is offered a bigger gig in the near future. This ultimately puts the fate of UD football in the hands of Assanis.

Namely, if UD finishes with less than 8 wins and a playoff run, Rocco needs to go. That should be made perfectly clear. Maybe he can, maybe he can’t, but the expectation needs to be clear from Assanis, not just CR.

Simultaneously Assanis should be working with CR behind the scenes to have 3 top tier candidates in the ready. Here is where I think we need to be very clear about who is on deck should Rocco falter.

Put a focus on someone who has made deep playoff runs, made turnarounds occur and has exemplary records. Likely looking D2 there. While Cignetti isn’t perfect, he did a damn good job at D2 and turned Elon around immediately. The JMU train keeps rolling. Assistants-Nope. FCS coaches with good records who have never made deep runs-NOPE.

I understood the Rocco hire, he won wherever he was. He had a solid record, but the championships and exemplary seasons were absent. If he can’t do it next year, we need to have our eyes on some people who have done it before, wherever they’ve been.

My fear is a 7 win season and a contract extension. 7 isn’t good enough to me.

I think the future of UD football is in Assanis’ hands.
Last edited by wacko4flacco on Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chrissi Rawak for President 2020

rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Re: It’s on Assanis

Post by rooneyguy » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 am

Not just football. Put WBB on notice and any other sport that is not positioned to "compete for championships" as CR claimed she would demand. To be honest, she was brought here to raise money and she can claim some success there as the WAC is built. Her reputation as someone who can find and hire the best coaches has not been enhanced by her stay at UD. The honeymoon should be over. Results matter.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:20 pm

wacko4flacco wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:44 am

Simultaneously Assanis should be working with CR behind the scenes to have 3 top tier candidates in the ready. Here is where I think we need to be very clear about who is in deck should Rocco falter.
I agree with everything you said but I think you can only go so far with this part. Unless you’re dipping into former coaches there isn’t a lot you can do with back channel conversations with guys that already have HC positions.

Everything else - spot on.
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

jl1968

Post by jl1968 » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:15 pm

I could care less if CR leaves as the coaches she hired have done nothing for UD sports!

HenZoneNation
UD Class: 1998

Post by HenZoneNation » Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am

I'm beginning to sour myself. Glad the basketball team is doing well, but the fact that Rocco wasn't forced to make changes is somewhat troubling. This is a football school and the AD is only as good as our record vs JMU and Nova. No disrespect to any of the other collegian sports and the sacrifices those students athletes make and CR has done a nice job of getting the performance center done...but I have been thoroughly disappointed in Rocco, almost since day 1 and the program is trending poorly.
The Dude Abides!

wacko4flacco

Post by wacko4flacco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 am

HenZoneNation wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am
I'm beginning to sour myself. Glad the basketball team is doing well, but the fact that Rocco wasn't forced to make changes is somewhat troubling. This is a football school and the AD is only as good as our record vs JMU and Nova. No disrespect to any of the other collegian sports and the sacrifices those students athletes make and CR has done a nice job of getting the performance center done...but I have been thoroughly disappointed in Rocco, almost since day 1 and the program is trending poorly.
How can Cosh returning be justified? Can someone explain the rationale? Seriously?

Did CR ask? Does Tresolini feel he will burn bridges with the coach by asking?

I just don’t understand it. At all.

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:58 am

I was one of, if not the first, to call out CR for her questionable(and apparently) poor selection of coaches. I'm willing to put out my thoughts even though the usual suspects will respond in attack mode. She is not "the one". A background in revenue/communication/pr is not what's needed to hire coaches which determines success both on the field/court and affects revenue producing sports/name recognition. I can't imagine another university hiring her now based on her athletic success record. Her extension and long contracts have boxed us in. Many of you were enthralled by "Chrissie" being chosen. Possibly even now some still support Danny, Martin, and Adair. I hoped they would be successful, but wondered a bit about their ability to succeed. Players were already here, but the results have been more disastrous. The construction project was inevitable(Muir had a design ready to go) even before her hire, and she may have been hired mainly for her ability to get $ support to move forward since UD wasn't willing to fund the entire necessary improvements. Even the slow progress of construction was another almost disaster and frustrated those who had opened their wallets.

It's hard to hope things will change unless "change" comes. Yeah, Assanis has been quiet yet he demanded and promised us national championship football.
Silence prevails. Things look worse in regard to athletic success than before our Prez and AD arrived. not good!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:13 am

wacko4flacco wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 9:29 am
HenZoneNation wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:57 am
How can Cosh returning be justified? Can someone explain the rationale? Seriously?

Did CR ask? Does Tresolini feel he will burn bridges with the coach by asking?

I just don’t understand it. At all.
It seems the DC Is performing just as coach expects and so there is no reason to change.

wacko4flacco

Post by wacko4flacco » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:26 am

Either the recruiting and play of the D was greatly misjudged or the D coordinator has a bad system in place, or both.

I’m flabbergasted at the lack of accountability.

hens4life
UD Class: 0

Post by hens4life » Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:15 pm

CR will "take credit" for the FH NC on her resume. There have also been a few CAA Championships under her watch.

With that said, and the WAC under her watch, why wouldn't a mid to lower level P5 school give her a shot? There are only
a handful of Female AD's at this time.

Martin has done a "decent" job considering where the MBB was, but there are NO excuses for FB & WBB, IMHO!

#GoHens

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

I think most of us would agree that Chrissi Rawak was a big improvement over a guy (Ziady) who enabled a UD President whose goal was to "de-emphasize" football. Among his big failings Ziady bungled the BB coach and hired an absolute stiff of a football coach. I will give her credit that she at least recognized there was a big problem with football and attempted to do something about it by firing the coach. She certainly deserves significant credit for the WAC and removing "seat licenses". While there is still a possibility that the coach turns football around next year, things clearly haven't gone the way we hoped. I can understand her coach selection with Rocco. His record reeked of the ability to "rebuild". To date clearly he hasn't demonstrated that. In retrospect, Rocco was the easy choice. While I don't know the intimate details of Chrissi R.'s experience with football, I believe that decision was based largely on his resume and input from the search group. To me it appears the easy choice was the wrong one. I don't think she's going anywhere as fast as has been implied, unless she pulls the chute on her own. Her performance has been "okay/good" not "great". If and when the time comes to make a coaching change, she needs to surround herself with a different search group. While I think we have a great group of alumni FB people to provide input, in the end something was missing.

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:06 am

I think most of us would agree that Chrissi Rawak was a big improvement over a guy (Ziady) who enabled a UD President whose goal was to "de-emphasize" football. Among his big failings Ziady bungled the BB coach and hired an absolute stiff of a football coach. I will give her credit that she at least recognized there was a big problem with football and attempted to do something about it by firing the coach. She certainly deserves significant credit for the WAC and removing "seat licenses". While there is still a possibility that the coach turns football around next year, things clearly haven't gone the way we hoped. I can understand her coach selection with Rocco. His record reeked of the ability to "rebuild". To date clearly he hasn't demonstrated that. In retrospect, Rocco was the easy choice. While I don't know the intimate details of Chrissi R.'s experience with football, I believe that decision was based largely on his resume and input from the search group. To me it appears the easy choice was the wrong one. I don't think she's going anywhere as fast as has been implied, unless she pulls the chute on her own. Her performance has been "okay/good" not "great". If and when the time comes to make a coaching change, she needs to surround herself with a different search group. While I think we have a great group of alumni FB people to provide input, in the end something was missing.

hendog

Post by hendog » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:49 pm

does anybody remember what other choices there were besides rocco or was he the only one considered

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Feb 05, 2020 7:20 pm

IMHO, Ms. Rawak has been the best AD in my tenure as a UD fan which goes back to Dave Nelson. The world was much different back then and UD competed well against competition that compared to today was largely inferior and not well resourced. I love Dave Nelson but as an AD he was all about FB and nothing else. Men's Basketball was a complete disaster and a matter of indifference to Mr. Nelson. I like Edgar Johnson, but he was largely a caretaker (I'll give Edgar some credit for Steinwedel, the Bob (though under built), and the Yankee/Am East/ CAA conferences but UD didn't add the promised resources acknowledged to be required to be successful in the CAA so staying in the AE probably would have been a better decision) who hired poor coaches and extended their contracts (Henderson & Ross being the most prominent examples). Under the Nelson & Johnson legacies, coaches weren't fired for poor performance and UD is still living with the results of their legacies of not advancing the UD Athletic program to better conferences (especially for Basketball) and possibly to FBS) and better facilities. Muir was just a carpetbagger who under the direction of disaster Pres. Roselle did a poor job of implementing required seat "donations" for FB (which had been threatened during Edgar's tenure and for Basketball as well until attendance plummeted under Henderson/Ross) which has damaged UD FB ever since andfor the foreseeable future . I don't need to discuss Zaire's sins which are all well known here. So IMHO, Ms. Rawak (while not perfect) has been a good AD, the best so far since my UD fandom dating to Nelson's tenure, and has been transformational. Ms. Rawak has fired under performing HCs, holding them responsible for wins & losses (as well as academic & behavioral performance), hired some good coaches (Ingelsby, De Luca for Men's Lax, & Barroqueiro for Women's Soccer look promising; new hire for Women's Lax can't yet be judged; it doesn't look good for Rocco (but who wouldn't have hired him?), Softball's Jen Steele, Sara Matthews for Women's Volleyball, & Adair for Women's Basketball), adding lights to Hannah Stadium (which had been considered since a least the 1980's), renovating DE Stadium (at least in part), and getting the Whitmore Athletic Center built. Of course, Pres. Assanis was also key in these developments and he has been the best UD Pres. in my involvement with UD going back to my student days under Trabant) for athletics and probably for he entire UD as well, with Roselle the worst for both. Barring any substantial negative developments, I hope that AD Rawak and Pres. Assanis stay at UD for many years.