CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

This board is for general discussion not related to Blue Hen athletics. Viewable by all, membership required to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
jd of de

Re: CORONAVIRUS CONFIRMED

Post by jd of de » Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:51 am

NEWARK, Del. - With further developments in the outbreak of COVID-19, along with four confirmed positive tests as of now on the campus, the University of Delaware Athletic Department has decided to suspend all sports competition and practice until further notice. Mitigating risk is at the forefront of this decision, along with the safety of the student-athletes, coaches, staff and our entire community.

With the situation continuing to develop, we ask that you please visit www.udel.edu/coronavirus for the most current and reliable information from the University. This site is kept up to date with news and FAQs.

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:17 pm

CAA suspends entire spring schedule.

https://caasports.com/news/2020/3/12/ca ... tests.aspx

exbluehenTE
UD Class: 2006

Post by exbluehenTE » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:24 pm

If by chance the springs sports are cancelled all together I sure hope the NCAA grants these athletes an exemption to compete one more season. Would be a real shame for Seniors to lose their last season. I'm sure that won't happen, but the NCAA should at least visit the idea.

Jaxhen
UD Class: 0

Post by Jaxhen » Thu Mar 12, 2020 1:39 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am
One would think that with the eventual distribution of more testing kits that the fatality rate will go down to similar levels as the regular flu. Simply put, the more case that get diagnosed can be compared with the eventual fatality rate when all the numbers are in. Right now it may be, I said may be, an inflated number.
Based on the latest worldwide numbers, the mortality rate is about 3.7 percent. As testing increases, the percentage will likely decrease but no one knows for sure by how much. It would be a mistake to assume the percentage is the same as the seasonal flu. The percentage mortality rate cited by Dr. Fauci of 1 percent takes this into account and is their best estimate at this particular time. No one knows for certain because this is a new strain and we simply don’t have enough scientific data to date to provide a more precise estimate. You shouldn’t assume that the 1 percent estimate is high. If anything, it may be on the low end but this is why testing is so important and why the delay in testing has been such a concern. We also don’t know for certain the actual number of fatalities because the data coming from certain countries cannot be completely trusted. Again, I would trust the scientific and medical experts more than political pundits on TV.

HENRY

Post by HENRY » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:13 pm

These precautions won't mean a lot, if students head for Florida, the Islands & Mexico!

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm

So to confirm as of right now spring practice is still happeneing, just no fans are allowed to attend?

Can we petition the athletic department to allow one observer from gohens? Can we vote in a gohens practice observer to send to Chrissy for approval? Start a go fund me for a hazmat suite for this person? Ill throw down.

Henweigh

Post by Henweigh » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm

Jax- Right, no one knows. I'm a half-full person, and not in the higher risk grouping. That's 1% of those who get it. Meaning 99% come thru as with any other virus. Therefore, I'm not one to run to get 47 rolls of toilet paper. Being cautious is the rule of the day, as with any flu outbreak. Stopping your life is another thing. Talk to me in 10 years and my tune would certainly be different.
Keepin' it real.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:22 pm

Fact:

Currently there are 795,000 hospital beds in the United States.

Down from 1,500,000 in 1975

Currently there are approximately 100,000 ICU beds in the United States.

And including backup units approximately 140,000 ventilators.

aust42

Post by aust42 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:23 pm

Is this some Biological warfare from Terrorists we're not being told about? Who shuts down the world for a flu bug?

Henzone

Post by Henzone » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:17 pm
So to confirm as of right now spring practice is still happeneing, just no fans are allowed to attend?

Can we petition the athletic department to allow one observer from gohens? Can we vote in a gohens practice observer to send to Chrissy for approval? Start a go fund me for a hazmat suite for this person? Ill throw down.
Not happening at UD if you read several other posts on here and apparently schools from USC to Duke are doing the same.

UDPat

Post by UDPat » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm

Hensfansince03 wrote:

And I actually think you might be serious???
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

Hensfansince03
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hensfansince03 » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:47 pm

UDPat wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:24 pm
Hensfansince03 wrote:

And I actually think you might be serious???
Why not? Is the media allowed? Tres in or out?

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:56 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 2:19 pm
Jax- Right, no one knows. I'm a half-full person, and not in the higher risk grouping. That's 1% of those who get it. Meaning 99% come thru as with any other virus. Therefore, I'm not one to run to get 47 rolls of toilet paper. Being cautious is the rule of the day, as with any flu outbreak. Stopping your life is another thing. Talk to me in 10 years and my tune would certainly be different.
Henweigh, As a presumbly relatively younger and healthier adult, you may not get infected, you may get infected with no symptoms, or you may get infected with minor symptoms & soon recover. The problem is that you could be a carrier who while unknowinlgy infected transmits the infection to others that are older and/or less healthy with compromised immune systems and those you infect may infect others.
Last edited by BlueHenBill on Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:02 pm

Henweigh wrote:
Thu Mar 12, 2020 10:54 am
One would think that with the eventual distribution of more testing kits that the fatality rate will go down to similar levels as the regular flu. Simply put, the more case that get diagnosed can be compared with the eventual fatality rate when all the numbers are in. Right now it may be, I said may be, an inflated number.
A key difference between THIS Coronavirus and all other KNOWN viruses is that until this pandemic, no one in the world was exposed to THIS Cornoavirus and no one had/has ANY immunity to it, nor are there or likley to be anytime SOON, ANY effective treatments and/or vaccines for THIS Coronavirus.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Thu Mar 12, 2020 3:04 pm

I wonder if and how coaches for all sports will be able to recruit incoming FR and transfers for 2020-2021 & beyond?