CAA fall football cancelled

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:06 am

From the NCAA report: “As the graph below indicates, when the NCAA began discussions about return of sport after the cancellation of 2020 winter and spring championships, there was an expectation that such a return would take place within a context that assumed syndromic surveillance, national testing strategies and enhanced contact tracing. Although testing and contact tracing infrastructure have expanded considerably, the variations in approach to reopening America for business and recreation have correlated with a considerable spike in cases in recent weeks. This requires that schools contemplate a holistic strategy that includes testing to return to sports with a high contact risk.”
Image
from the NCAA guidelines: “When an athlete tests positive for COVID-19, local public health officials must be notified, and contact tracing protocols must be put in place. All individuals with a high risk of exposure should be placed in quarantine for 14 days as per CDC guidance. This includes members of opposing teams after competition. The difficulty is defining individuals with a high risk of exposure, and in some cases, this could mean an entire team (or teams).”

UDJoe
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by UDJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:16 am

Thanks JD -- that chart shows it all.

UDPat
Posts: 2358
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by UDPat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:23 am

Henny wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 am
A call to Temple and Navy is in order to round out the schedule. Maybe UConn or UMass.....Could be home and homes against the CAA teams still considering playing?
GM Bingo,

May the Barnstorming begin,

Still think it's highly doubtful sorry.

To me it doesn't make sense. Why would Temple(as an example) play anyone when there will be zero spectators?? No fans in PA

The budgets are already losing money.

Henny, Still may owe that beverage, Hope I pay this one off.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Henny
Posts: 2991
Joined: Tue Jul 12, 2005 11:02 pm
UD Class: 1985
Location: Newark De.

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by Henny » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:39 am

UDPat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:23 am
Henny wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 am
A call to Temple and Navy is in order to round out the schedule. Maybe UConn or UMass.....Could be home and homes against the CAA teams still considering playing?
GM Bingo,

May the Barnstorming begin,

Still think it's highly doubtful sorry.

To me it doesn't make sense. Why would Temple(as an example) play anyone when there will be zero spectators?? No fans in PA

The budgets are already losing money.

Henny, Still may owe that beverage, Hope I pay this one off.

Let's prepare for all scenarios. Who knows how October and November will look. If it's bad, we shut it down with no regrets.

To me, there is still a chance to play and UD can learn from professional sports and FBS to make the right decisions rather than pulling the plug in mid July.


Hold the Guinness for now Pat!!
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

rooneyguy
Posts: 990
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:30 am
UD Class: 1988

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by rooneyguy » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am

If people use common sense and follow CDC guidelines, maybe we can salvage winter sports. Unfortunately ...........

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am

IMO major metropolitan areas will be seen as less desirable destinations for a barnstorming schedule.

Home-Home ... JMU, Albany and Elon
Away ... Navy

The 2nd wave hits by Halloween and everyone, including the P5’s are shut down. College basketball targets a conference only, January start.

And that’s my best case scenario.

UDPat
Posts: 2358
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by UDPat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:07 am

Henny wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:39 am
UDPat wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:23 am
Henny wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:38 am
A call to Temple and Navy is in order to round out the schedule. Maybe UConn or UMass.....Could be home and homes against the CAA teams still considering playing?
GM Bingo,

May the Barnstorming begin,

Still think it's highly doubtful sorry.

To me it doesn't make sense. Why would Temple(as an example) play anyone when there will be zero spectators?? No fans in PA

The budgets are already losing money.

Henny, Still may owe that beverage, Hope I pay this one off.

Let's prepare for all scenarios. Who knows how October and November will look. If it's bad, we shut it down with no regrets.

To me, there is still a chance to play and UD can learn from professional sports and FBS to make the right decisions rather than pulling the plug in mid July.

I agree with every part of what you except: we shut it down with no regrets.
I completely disagree, there will be plenty and many who will question why it was begun.

I am in the minority, I feel the greater good is way more important than football. I am not a season tix holder for football. But last year, one of our most distinguished and beloved posters offered me a seat for every home game. Should anyone make that offer to me this year......I can't for any reason see where i would accept.

I am already accepting hoops season will NOT be what I want.
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

UDJoe
Posts: 1050
Joined: Mon Jul 18, 2005 10:04 am

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by UDJoe » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:11 am

[quote="jd of de" post_id=376615 time=1594986144 user_id=26607]
IMO major metropolitan areas will be seen as less desirable destinations for a barnstorming schedule.

Home-Home ... JMU, Albany and Elon
Away ... Navy

The 2nd wave hits by Halloween and everyone, including the P5’s are shut down. College basketball targets a conference only, January start.

And that’s my best case scenario.
[/quote]

if schools decide to cobble together some kind of schedule that is considerably less than the normal, will some players (those who have not yet red-shirted) decide to opt out in order to preserve a year of eligibility? I would think so. Do some seniors just decide to move on, regardless of whether football is played this year or not? I would think so. Would coaches get a pass on whatever their win-loss records might be in this unusual circumstance? I would think not. JMHO.

User avatar
jd of de
Posts: 5983
Joined: Thu Dec 16, 2010 10:26 am

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:28 am

UDJoe wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:11 am
jd of de wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:42 am
IMO major metropolitan areas will be seen as less desirable destinations for a barnstorming schedule.

Home-Home ... JMU, Albany and Elon
Away ... Navy

The 2nd wave hits by Halloween and everyone, including the P5’s are shut down. College basketball targets a conference only, January start.

And that’s my best case scenario.
if schools decide to cobble together some kind of schedule that is considerably less than the normal, will some players (those who have not yet red-shirted) decide to opt out in order to preserve a year of eligibility? I would think so. Do some seniors just decide to move on, regardless of whether football is played this year or not? I would think so. Would coaches get a pass on whatever their win-loss records might be in this unusual circumstance? I would think not. JMHO.
I’m convinced, play or don’t play, no eligibility will be lost this fall. Of course I’m also convinced that any program that does start the season will be shut down in 6 or 7 weeks

User avatar
tenn hen
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm
UD Class: 1967
Location: TN.

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am

I've viewed the graph for several days now. It is as clear and essentially lays out the truth empirically.
The US should have followed the other the CV impacted countries and implemented a national health policy under the guidance of experts in the field. Any rational scientifically based leadership in our nation would have done so. Our "curve" would not be the outlier.
It's been obvious for months as the northeast had the guts to mandate essential mandates and results prove its validity.
This is not a political opinion -just the facts. :( :oops:
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

UDPat
Posts: 2358
Joined: Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:45 pm

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by UDPat » Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:24 am

tenn hen wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am
I've viewed the graph for several days now. It is as clear and essentially lays out the truth empirically.
The US should have followed the other the CV impacted countries and implemented a national health policy under the guidance of experts in the field. Any rational scientifically based leadership in our nation would have done so. Our "curve" would not be the outlier.
It's been obvious for months as the northeast had the guts to mandate essential mandates and results prove its validity.
This is not a political opinion -just the facts. :( :oops:
Tenn,

This not meant o disagree with you at all but

When does the responsibility fall on each and every FELLOW AMERICAN? Mistakes have been made on all levels but whatever happened to looking out for our neighbor??
It's because of this we have failed, you can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink or in this case practice safety when it comes to COVID19. Both Donkey's and Elephant's are to blame.

It is because of this, we will likely have no football or truth.....football that is an absolute waste of time.


Stay safe
Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard enough!!!!

User avatar
Info Hound
Posts: 1578
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:16 am
Location: Tri-State Mystery Area

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:14 am

My view, and it looks like a minority opinion: If the team, or most of the team wants to play, assuming Chrissi can put together a schedule, can follow state and DC guidelines, then yes, play the games.

I don't care where I sit in the stadium, and I'll follow all rules, I will be there.

I am also not worried about any refunds of already paid money. Just credit me for next year.

For the teammates that want to play, they need to move on with their lives. Again, JMO.

HenFromWA
Posts: 175
Joined: Thu Sep 21, 2017 2:50 pm
UD Class: 2019

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by HenFromWA » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:30 am

Info Hound wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:14 am
My view, and it looks like a minority opinion: If the team, or most of the team wants to play, assuming Chrissi can put together a schedule, can follow state and DC guidelines, then yes, play the games.

I don't care where I sit in the stadium, and I'll follow all rules, I will be there.

I am also not worried about any refunds of already paid money. Just credit me for next year.

For the teammates that want to play, they need to move on with their lives. Again, JMO.
100% behind you on this!

BlueHenBobby
Posts: 669
Joined: Wed Oct 26, 2011 8:43 pm
UD Class: 1975
Location: Birdsboro, Pa.

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am

For UD to play this fall would be a waste of time and money and more significant- put student athletes and students (and their families) in general at serious risk. Despite the staggering numbers there are some reasons for hope that this will end- Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are going into Phase III. Phase 1 and 2 results with regard to safety and antibody production were positive. Unfortunately we cannot rely on Americans to adhere to use of masks and social distancing that would have helped this pandemic dramatically. I'll miss Saturdays at the Tub and the road trips immensely but cancelling the season is the best move. Hopefully some good things will come out of this with regard to how football is organized.

User avatar
tenn hen
Posts: 5639
Joined: Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:44 pm
UD Class: 1967
Location: TN.

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by tenn hen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:02 am

Pat- we're on the same page. It's simple- just be considerate and protect yourself as well as everyone
tenn hen wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 9:04 am
I've viewed the graph for several days now. It is as clear as a bell and essentially lays out the truth empirically.
The US should have followed the other CV impacted countries and implemented a national health policy under the guidance of experts in the field. Any rational scientifically based leadership in our nation would have done so. Our "curve" would not be the outlier.
It's been obvious for months as the northeast had the guts to mandate essential mandates and results prove its validity.
This is not a political opinion -just the facts. :( :oops:
else.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Post Reply