CAA fall football cancelled

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: CAA fall football cancelled

Post by Info Hound » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:19 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm
So, is it time to alter the construction schedule and get a start on the East stands relatively soon?

Absolutely! UD is loaded with available funds.

I'm playing along. I know you were kidding. :)

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:32 pm

Hens79 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:47 pm
BlueHenBobby wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:56 am
For UD to play this fall would be a waste of time and money and more significant- put student athletes and students (and their families) in general at serious risk. Despite the staggering numbers there are some reasons for hope that this will end- Pfizer and Moderna vaccines are going into Phase III. Phase 1 and 2 results with regard to safety and antibody production were positive. Unfortunately we cannot rely on Americans to adhere to use of masks and social distancing that would have helped this pandemic dramatically. I'll miss Saturdays at the Tub and the road trips immensely but cancelling the season is the best move. Hopefully some good things will come out of this with regard to how football is organized.
Cancelling the football season has brewing since March. There was a shot at football around May-early June when things calmed down in the initial hard hit areas. But now that 3/4 of the country is raging with the virus, there is no alternative. But it didn’t have to be this way. We needed leadership and we got worse than none. Thankfully, where most of us live, the Governors are at least tying without much help from the federal government. Imagine If your Governor passed an Executive Order AGAINST mandating masking and suing a city during a pandemic that is ravaging his own state? It is mind numbing. When you think it can’t get any worse, it does. Almost 75,000 cases and close to 1000 deaths yesterday .... in mid July.

Hopefully, we will get a vaccine in enough time that enough people can get it so the 2021 football season can take place with fans in the stands.
I worked for Pfizer and I have a close relative who works for them now and is on one of the teams working on the vaccine. It was explained to me the massive effort on their part to make it happen. Three of their facilities are the key parts to it R and D in Chesterfield, Mo., Biotech in Andover, Mass. and manufacturing in Kalamazoo. When a company like Pfizer throws those kinds of resources at the problem, good things will happen. Their timeline is to have product by the end of the year. Will that happen? I don't know, but it wouldn't surprise me if the vaccine is available sometime in the first quarter of 2021. When the whole vaccine race started there was talk of manufacture at full bore at risk. Yes it is truly amazing how botched the handling of the pandemic in the US has been and it is truly amazing the large scale resistance to common sense that has reared its head in the US.

Hengrad07
UD Class: 2007

Post by Hengrad07 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:44 pm

Youdee Blues wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 2:02 pm
So, is it time to alter the construction schedule and get a start on the East stands relatively soon?
That's a load off the EDIS' Construction Managers back! August 2021 now baby!

The job site looks like it's shut down for the day!
Last edited by Hengrad07 on Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#ProtectTheFlock

hoopster
UD Class: 1993

Post by hoopster » Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm

Clearly the right decision was made. Yes, it's painful for many UD loyal fans and supporters, but this decision to cancel the fall season had to be done. UD sports will be back, and I can't wait. Expecting the winter sports to be cancelled in a couple of months.
GO BIG BLUE!

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:44 pm

This was always going to be the case unfortunately. FCS football is a revenue-losing endeavor in good times, so considering a vaccine was never in the offing until late in this year at the absolute earliest this was always the likley outcome. The only reason that pro sports and the big boys in college football will play is because of the money at stake. We never had those concerns here, hence this direction. So now we wait and see if spring football will be a thing - not sure I can get to spring football games, but I'm sure UD will work it out.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm

I will be waiting to see if UD ends up altering its plans for the Fall Semester and for Winter sports. Given that it is unsafe to play sports outdoors, how is it going to be safe to have at least a significant portion of the student body on campus, in dorms, and in classrooms? Compared to Fall (all outdoor) sports it is even less safe to start practicing and playing Winter sports indoors, so I don't expect to see any Winter sports until at least Jan 2021, until the Spring, or at all.

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:20 pm

BlueHenBill wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 4:50 pm
I will be waiting to see if UD ends up altering its plans for the Fall Semester and for Winter sports. Given that it is unsafe to play sports outdoors, how is it going to be safe to have at least a significant portion of the student body on campus, in dorms, and in classrooms? Compared to Fall (all outdoor) sports it is even less safe to start practicing and playing Winter sports indoors, so I don't expect to see any Winter sports until at least Jan 2021, until the Spring, or at all.
There's nothing really unsafe about cross country, or rowing, or tennis, or a good number of outside sports that don't involve contact. It's a shame they couldn't get those sports going, but the issue there isn't the unsafety of the sport itself, but rather the issue of travel to away games/events and the issue with overnight lodgings.

As for kids on campus, that's where schools like UD need to be focused. Sports lose money normally at UD, and would lose a lot more in times like this, so not playing sports is a prudent decision. Risking the student enrollment numbers and seeing them tank would cause significant revenue issues at UD. Granted, UD is far better positioned than others to weather the storm of declining enrollment, but it would still hurt. The focus has been and will be getting kids to pay full tuition and everything else. That's the golden goose. Football and the other sports are basically hobbies at UD.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

aust42
UD Class: 0

Post by aust42 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:37 pm

The virus is not going away and our Gov has effectively shut down everything because of it. So does that mean we get no sports until there's no virus? Because it's going to be here along with the flu virus and the cold virus. Forever most likely. The only number that matters is the death rate. If you believe the inflated numbers only 0.0004% of the population has died from it. For some reason if someone dies of a heart attack and was tested positive for COVID that's including in those numbers. Of that number the vast majority already had existing health issues and were old and fragile. They would have died if they caught the Flu or Pneumonia. The people that should be quarantined are the dead pool people who are one germ away from dying anyway not the 99.9% of people who this virus doesn't even affect. Destroying kids education, sports activities, and a lot of the general populations small businesses and means of earning a living is a crime.

Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 5:42 pm

Udforever1 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:59 pm
HenFromWA wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:22 pm
I will no longer be posting in this forum. I am so disappointed by and against the University’s decision to suspend fall sports, including football, that I will no longer be supporting or watching UD athletics.
Step away from the ledge, man. It’s going to be ok. I think in these next few weeks you’ll see many more schools do this.
Coach, If for some reason baseball doesn’t have opening day on July 23rd you better be ready to talk me off the ledge
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019

dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Post by dovetail » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:43 pm

hoopster wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 3:14 pm
Clearly the right decision was made. Yes, it's painful for many UD loyal fans and supporters, but this decision to cancel the fall season had to be done. UD sports will be back, and I can't wait. Expecting the winter sports to be cancelled in a couple of months.
Given the “enthusiasm “ of UD students, I doubt sports willl be missed

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:17 pm

Sad day :(

Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:56 pm

Has anyone considered what a circus the Athletic Complex will be in the Spring? :shock:

Maybe they could do a triple header of Womens Lax, Mens Lax and Football. :)
Football weather baby...Lets win a game....By hook or crook..Time to show some heart and guts....Tough game....Love the 26 degrees that's what it is about.... Posted by Joe C 11/9/19

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Fri Jul 17, 2020 8:58 pm

We lost a season of football today. Remember that when you post.

Even if your crusade is anti-smoking you don’t attend a wake and tell the widow he/she shouldn’t have smoked.

Show some class.

PghHen
UD Class: 1989

Post by PghHen » Fri Jul 17, 2020 10:09 pm

In all these posts and there was minimal mention about the players. Guys who have worked most of thier lives toward this goal and it was wiped out. I could not have imagined my senior year season ripped away. It would have been a devastaating life event.
Right now, I'm watching my two teenage daughters lose thier spring soccer season and their fall school season is in jeopardy. This is what they do and what they work for all year. Weekends in hotel rooms and weekdays practicing and working out.
All I can think about is how would I have felt if my last season at UD was taken away!!! Do I think it's political? Probably but it's not relevant when youn think about the players.
We all can watch a game next year and predict the outcome and be fans, these kids have had something taken away that can never be returned.
I'm sick to my stomach for everyone of them!

Former Hen - 84-89

BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby » Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:13 am

Yes, the cancelling of the football season is terrible, but was necessary for the safety of all involved. My wife and I will miss the games, tailgates and road trips tremendously. I can understand the extreme disappointment being expressed on here. I also feel for the players who have worked hard to get to this point in their athletic careers. This certainly sows chaos in their lives. My son and his girlfriend and her mother had Corona virus. Her mother experienced the clotting sequalae. The virus is real and extremely communicable. His post was offensive to me. I clearly remember one of the board monitors giving me a polite warning to stay on topic for one of my posts. I responded favorably to the warning. The post made by 03 was way off topic, blatantly political and reeked of conspiracy theories. He's certainly entitled to his own opinions, but that kind of stuff isn't appropriate on here I went back and looked at the forum rules. Here you go:

Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
The purpose of this entire site is, and always has been, to PROMOTE Delaware Football – not as a forum to practice debating skills, to attack coaches for their decisions, or to belittle players for their performance.

I'm sure I'll take a beating for this, but so be it. As shi**y as this fall will be without football, we'll be back next year.