UD Budget

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Re: UD Budget

Post by Section J » Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 pm

I think it is time for conference realignment talks for the have's (UD/JMU) and the have nots (Just about everybody else). No place to go to increase revenues, time to reduce costs.
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm

Section J wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:23 pm
I think it is time for conference realignment talks for the have's (UD/JMU) and the have nots (Just about everybody else). No place to go to increase revenues, time to reduce costs.
Don't exclude Villanova from the haves- plus their bball speaks for itself!

I believe we've missed the bus(SOP) in realignment. It's cost us dearly in SO many ways ever since 2003 and may haunt us forever.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J » Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:26 pm

tenn hen wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm
Section J wrote:

I believe we've missed the bus(SOP) in realignment. It's cost us dearly in SO many ways ever since 2003 and may haunt us forever.
I'm hoping within this crisis lies an opportunity. I'm anticipating that some schools are going to drop football altogether once there is a realization that they can do without. Not so much for us and JMU, you can throw nova in the mix if you like but they dropped it once.....
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James

tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:49 pm

Hey SJ- I based adding V. to the haves on the basis of talent and winning though you make a valid point about them dropping football. BBALL brings in the dinero!

stay safe
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Tue Sep 29, 2020 4:51 pm

Section J wrote:
Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:26 pm
tenn hen wrote:
Mon Sep 28, 2020 4:12 pm
Section J wrote:

I'm hoping within this crisis lies an opportunity. I'm anticipating that some schools are going to drop football altogether once there is a realization that they can do without. Not so much for us and JMU, you can throw nova in the mix if you like but they dropped it once.....
Nova and UConn aren’t leaving the Big East. Let their football programs stay on that island.

The eastern C-USA and AAC teams should be on our speed dial.

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 am

Thinking out loud

Current Undergrad Enrollment Ratio: Men - 42.0% ... Women ... 58%

Current Student-Athlete Ratio:
Men - 295 (46.5%)
Women - 339 (53.5%)
Total - 634

Possible Sports to Cut:
Golf (M-9)
Tennis (M-12 ... W-8)
Swimming (M-25 ... W-28)

New Student-Athlete Ratio:
Men - 249 (45.1%)
Women - 303 (54.9%)
Total - 552

16 Sports
Men (5) - Baseball, Basketball, Football, Lacrosse & Soccer
Women (11) - Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Rowing, Soccer, Softball, Track & Field and Volleyball

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 am

LaSalle cut 7 sports yesterday, from 25 to 18.

Cut were:
Men - swimming & diving, baseball, tennis & water polo
Women - softball, volleyball & tennis

hens4life
UD Class: 1981

Post by hens4life » Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

jd of de wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:51 am
Thinking out loud

Current Undergrad Enrollment Ratio: Men - 42.0% ... Women ... 58%

Current Student-Athlete Ratio:
Men - 295 (46.5%)
Women - 339 (53.5%)
Total - 634

Possible Sports to Cut:
Golf (M-9)
Tennis (M-12 ... W-8)
Swimming (M-25 ... W-28)

New Student-Athlete Ratio:
Men - 249 (45.1%)
Women - 303 (54.9%)
Total - 552

16 Sports
Men (5) - Baseball, Basketball, Football, Lacrosse & Soccer
Women (11) - Basketball, Cross Country, Field Hockey, Golf, Lacrosse, Rowing, Soccer, Softball, Track & Field and Volleyball
Nice analysis, but I belive the cuts will have to be much deeper than that.

As of 2/3 years ago, there were ZERO Men's golf scholarships according to the last coach.
I asked him with that, how does he recruit & the answer was "It's very hard" - The biggest benefit
was getting to play Wilm CC - NO scholarships was the major reason they weren't very successful!
In general, Golfers are fairly smart, so there was some academic money available.

bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Post by bluehenbillk » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:23 am

hens4life wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 10:45 am

Nice analysis, but I belive the cuts will have to be much deeper than that.

As of 2/3 years ago, there were ZERO Men's golf scholarships according to the last coach.
I asked him with that, how does he recruit & the answer was "It's very hard" - The biggest benefit
was getting to play Wilm CC - NO scholarships was the major reason they weren't very successful!
In general, Golfers are fairly smart, so there was some academic money available.
I don't believe the NCAA has given waivers to dip below sponsoring 16 sports. If UD would go below the 16 number they would no longer be eligible for D-1 athletics, so 16 is the bare minimum....
Delaware Football - time to make things happen or it’s time for changes.....

jd of de

Post by jd of de » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:33 am

As I've said before, the cuts nessesary go way past cutting some sports, but you can bet that's part of the the cuts.

We'll have 16 sports and a lot more club teams.

chapelstwasted
UD Class: 1987

Post by chapelstwasted » Wed Sep 30, 2020 11:50 am

The mens Olympic teams everybody wants to cut have no or very few scholarships & share coaches with the womens teams. Very limited savings. The mens soccer team & volleyball team will have to be cut. Most of the mens soccer team are internationals. There will be no protest.

BlueHenBill

Post by BlueHenBill » Wed Sep 30, 2020 7:37 pm

jd of de wrote:
Wed Sep 30, 2020 8:53 am
LaSalle cut 7 sports yesterday, from 25 to 18.

Cut were:
Men - swimming & diving, baseball, tennis & water polo
Women - softball, volleyball & tennis
LaSalle cut (in addition to Men's & Women's Tennis and Men''s Swimming/Diving & Water Polo) Baseball, Softball, & Women's Volleyball, but left Men's & Women's Cross Country,Track & Field,Rowing, and Golf, as well as Women's Water Polo. :roll: I would have cut those last 6 programs instead of Baseball, Softball, & Women's Volleyball. I juzt don't get LaSalle's sports priorities. :?

UDJoe

Post by UDJoe » Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:24 am

Additional information about UD's deficit:

https://www.newarkpostonline.com/news/a ... t=headline

Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan » Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:46 am

UDJoe wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:24 am

Great article, actually got a lot of details. Speaks to the importance of getting kids back on campus. Surprised that UD doesn't seem to have a lot of ideas or plans to do that, though. You have to figure that played a large part in them not able to reach, or even come that close, to full enrollment. While other schools were breaking out outdoor tents and instituting quarantines and frequent testing of students and staff, UD just seem to punt and hope for a vaccine to make everything go away. If a student was deciding between UD and another school that was doing those things, it's not surprising that they'd either take the latter or take a gap year. I think I heard that enrollments nationwide were down something like 8% this year, so that would make UD even worse off than the national average. With Assanis asking faculty to work for free in the winter it doesn't sound like they're turning the corner on this either. Tough times for everyone, but even tougher for UD unfortunately.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound » Fri Oct 02, 2020 9:02 am

Gannonfan wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 8:46 am
UDJoe wrote:
Fri Oct 02, 2020 7:24 am

Great article, actually got a lot of details. Speaks to the importance of getting kids back on campus. Surprised that UD doesn't seem to have a lot of ideas or plans to do that, though. You have to figure that played a large part in them not able to reach, or even come that close, to full enrollment. While other schools were breaking out outdoor tents and instituting quarantines and frequent testing of students and staff, UD just seem to punt and hope for a vaccine to make everything go away. If a student was deciding between UD and another school that was doing those things, it's not surprising that they'd either take the latter or take a gap year. I think I heard that enrollments nationwide were down something like 8% this year, so that would make UD even worse off than the national average. With Assanis asking faculty to work for free in the winter it doesn't sound like they're turning the corner on this either. Tough times for everyone, but even tougher for UD unfortunately.
Not UD, but interesting op-ed in the WSJ by economic advisor, Stephen Moore. Titled: The Coronavirus College Scam:

My 20-year-old son attends Villanova University. It is a fine school, but this year it costs $70,000 a year for room, board and tuition—for online classes. This fall most colleges are charging full tuition to families like mine to have kids on campus without real classrooms. This is like going to a restaurant and never getting served, but still getting handed the bill.

My son decided to take a pass, and a full-time job instead. He’ll learn some valuable life skills from that experience, and he’ll likely go back when classes are back open. But millions of young people are back on campus this fall. In many college towns, crowded dorms, fraternities, sororities and bars are open.

According to one report, college students represent 19 of the 25 hottest coronavirus outbreaks in the country with some 40,000 positive cases recorded in September, so administrators are suspending or even expelling students for irresponsible behaviors like going to crowded parties. But what did college presidents expect when they invited students back?

The silver lining is that almost none of the Covid-positive students have needed hospitalization, and most don’t even get sick. The risk to patients under 30 is minimal. But that doesn’t absolve the universities for making choices that benefit themselves at the expense of students, parents and taxpayers, who foot the bill. The schools collect full tuition while students spread the virus and learn little they couldn’t by sitting in front of the computer in their parents’ house at a fraction of the cost.

Why? Follow the money. American higher education is a big business, with total annual revenue of about $600 billion. Last spring, when schools sent students home midsemester, few bothered to refund their tuition. They are terrified that kids will save $150,000 by learning everything they need online, so education experts have trumpeted the value of the on-campus experience. Students are paying for classes they can’t attend. Administrators and professors get paid in full even though most refuse to come anywhere near their students.

I’m proud my son knows a scam when he sees one, and I hope many of his peers follow his example.

Mr. Moore is a co-founder of the Committee to Unleash Prosperity.