Who had the dumbest play in football yesterday?

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Info Hound

Re: Who had the dumbest play in football yesterday?

Post by Info Hound »

This is by far the most exciting team we have seen in years.

(edit. Comment removed)

How about #14? Somebody around here, earlier in the season, referred to him as a "journeyman QB". LOL!

Also said repeatedly, why haven't we done anything with the OL?

Easy to look back now, I know.

Go Hens!
Last edited by Info Hound on Sun Oct 08, 2023 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#JUST WIN
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Carty does that stuff all the time…against good teams and bad teams. I told everyone to get used to it…it is what Carty does. It is his kryptonite. But, for every head scratcher play, we get to enjoy plenty of good ones.

So, you have to take the good with the bad. As some have said, we are so much better off with Carty and this O than we were when told by some expert fan that we were, “building our program the right way.” Heck, I wouldn’t want to bring up any history either if I had put that garbage in writing. :lol:

We also have an unhappy fan complaining that Carty’s O spreads the ball out too much…because fewer touches means that players will leave. :shock: Wait, same expert said we also had too many skill position players. :roll: Sure, selfish players, perhaps (maybe a reflection of the poster’s thinking). Team players who want to win will stay and enjoy the success.

In the end, Carty doesn’t give a fig about fan opinions…especially when those fans have repeatedly been on the wrong side of history. Carty is on his way to winning a lot of games. We all hope he gets better as a coach and most of us truly wish him success.

Playoffs, baby!
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Info Hound wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 11:52 am This is by far the most exciting team we have seen in years.

As to the dumb play call: I wouldn't ask about it either. There is no reason to "rub it in'. Some things are so obvious that they don't need to be mentioned.

How about #14? Somebody around here, earlier in the season, referred to him as a "journeyman QB". LOL!

Also said repeatedly, why haven't we done anything with the OL?

Easy to look back now, I know.

Go Hens!
Hound thanks for mentioning our First year starter at QB. He's progressing nicely and doesn't panic. We're lucky to have him. He's someone I was expecting good things from but he's exceeded my expectations so far.
Henzone

Post by Henzone »

Info- You're looking for some positive feedback and rightly so with only one loss. IMHO the position coaches seem to be doing a great job.

New Stats Just Released:

One of our experts projected Marker as the next Tom Brady and ignored O'Connor for much of the preseason. Goldrich gets the kudos for jumpstarting a very successful initial season for #14. Currently ranked #5 in the CAA, he has an impressive ability to locate receivers while on the move.

More kudos to AP who has Yarns #2 in ypc even though his only 11 per game is a joke. Cumby has noticeably improved.

Team is #2 in penalties for the season.

Rogers seems to have his OL group on the upswing .

Special teams continue to suck which is extremely disappointing considering the talent . RedZone O .....ditto.
Last edited by Henzone on Sun Oct 08, 2023 12:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HENJOHN

Post by HENJOHN »

Certainly ALOT to improve on and there's some things that are giving us some hope and excitement, it's not all Negative. Special teams and RedZone are the most pressing to me but I feel the QB, WRs and OLINE play are somewhat better than I was expecting
Jaxhen1
UD Class: 1974

Post by Jaxhen1 »

Cluck, are you saying Carty is so set in his ways that he can’t learn from his mistakes? If that’s the case, that’s a problem. I don’t believe that. He’s still young and can learn. Fans are allowed to be fans. Nothing wrong with having opinions as a fan. The coach may not care but I doubt if the fan does either. I like Carty but it doesn’t mean I have to like every decision. Free speech remember.
Caribbean Hen
UD Class: 2024

Post by Caribbean Hen »

right or wrong, No mention of Tom Brady anywhere :lol:

And guess what, In the unfortunate situation the starter gets banged up and has to miss some games, the season is not over like it would of been in the past

Dec 15th 2022

Zach Marker is interesting I’ll say that

He’s an instinctive playmaker, holds his ground in the pocket and can escape pressure and make throws on the run.

He is labeled a dual threat QB but I wouldn’t call him fast, but uses instincts and toughness to extend plays when needed... kind of like a Sluka, not as talented as Sluka but maybe a distant relative :D Sluka lite

Now he was playing a JUCO team in Iowa named Trinity so I’m not gonna say anything to bold about Zach Marker just yet, but I saw enough talent in this kid to totally understand why Carty wanted him. He can throw the football
recruiting recruiting recruiting...It ain't rocket science....We need better more athletic players...That simple....

posted by Joe C December 10th, 2019
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Elon HC to Elon DC - inside the 5 put in our heavy package.

Elon DC to Elon HC - I don’t know about that coach. That crazy MF over there is liable to run 5 wides at us.

Sometimes crazy works.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Jaxhen1 wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:10 pm Cluck, are you saying Carty is so set in his ways that he can’t learn from his mistakes? If that’s the case, that’s a problem. I don’t believe that. He’s still young and can learn. Fans are allowed to be fans. Nothing wrong with having opinions as a fan. The coach may not care but I doubt if the fan does either. I like Carty but it doesn’t mean I have to like every decision. Free speech remember.
As to Carty not changing…we all hope the Swinging Gate (and its portal to a hellish result) is closed forever. If you know a priest that can perform an Exorcist on a coach in his sleep, I think we’d all put some money in the collection plate.

Free speech? Right there with you. Say anything you like…it is a message board. Apparently, for some, that free speech thing excludes talk about Rojas and his, wait for it, stubbornness regarding him saying he would never switch for the 3 DL defense. We do have some stubborn coaches, don’t we? Oh, and we can’t talk about the past. :lol: Or +20 years without a championship. Or our two previous coaches. Or comment about the silly notion that we had too many skill players. I could go on, but my glass is getting empty (although I could say it is half full), so I am going to get a refill. 👍
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

jd of de wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:58 pm Elon HC to Elon DC - inside the 5 put in our heavy package.

Elon DC to Elon HC - I don’t know about that coach. That crazy MF over there is liable to run 5 wides at us.

Sometimes crazy works.
jd gets it.

As much as one can. :lol:

Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

jd of de wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 1:58 pm Elon HC to Elon DC - inside the 5 put in our heavy package.

Sometimes crazy works.
That's a good thought.

I hereby retract my prior comment.
#JUST WIN
Super Chicken
UD Class: 1900

Post by Super Chicken »

HENJOHN wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:15 am
The play calling is questionable especially in the Red Zone for sure. I don't think anyone is "shrugging their Shoulders" but besides the negative aspects, pointing out what's been good to see so far. Not everyone on here thought we were going to beat UNH so I'm not thumbing my nose at 4-1. Down in the RZ I think we should keep relying on our Stud Yarns and improved OLINE more. Our young HC has shown some very nice things while still revealing to us he's still learning.

Man was it cool to see that Big crowd yesterday
Totally agree HJ. When I saw the highlights of the NH vs CMU game where their HB had hundreds of yards running and receiving that day, it did not look good for us. Holding him to just 8 yards rushing was an unbelievable D effort. His receiving skills and the 101 yard kick off return did demonstrate his exceptional talent. That was a great team and coaching effort especially considering we were down 18 to zip early in the game and then, except for the 101, we dominated the second half.

As I always say, the East stands and Section J in particular are the heart beat of the TUB. Cam's picture of our mostly filled East side brought back memories of days past. WE ARE DELAWARE!
Section J
UD Class: 1983

Post by Section J »

HENJOHN wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2023 10:15 am Down in the RZ I think we should keep relying on our Stud Yarns and improved OLINE more.
THIS
“I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did.”― Henry James
HensRock
Site Admin
UD Class: 1985

Post by HensRock »

I think sometimes, Carty out-thinks himself.

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/853a173c-3 ... play=false
Be careful of the words you say,
keep them soft and sweet.
You never know from day to day
which ones you'll have to eat!
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

I speculated Saturday that perhaps the East Stands got a boost in butts because some band parents knew the group would be performing that way at halftime.

There were certainly plenty of seats available in West Stands all day. Game time weather turned out decent.