The Odds: Delaware State

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
UDPat

Re: The Odds: Delaware State

Post by UDPat »

UDJoe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 am A couple of observations: The most encouraging thing at this point is that this group plays decent defense and that will go a long ways toward having a good year. Obviously, there are multiple options for scoring points, but every team has some bad shooting games. The defense can compensate for that.

Beyond that, Houser has to stay out of foul trouble and the backcourt guys have to cut down on the turnovers. Losing Moss for the season will hurt the front court.

Hoping that Houser's younger brother decides to spend two years in Newark and bank some playing time before moving on to wherever he wants.
Do you know something I don't?? Has Houser's brother committed to UD?
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
UDJoe

Post by UDJoe »

[quote=UDPat post_id=433839 time=1700139977 user_id=1336]
[quote=UDJoe post_id=433836 time=1700138912 user_id=82]
A couple of observations: The most encouraging thing at this point is that this group plays decent defense and that will go a long ways toward having a good year. Obviously, there are multiple options for scoring points, but every team has some bad shooting games. The defense can compensate for that.

Beyond that, Houser has to stay out of foul trouble and the backcourt guys have to cut down on the turnovers. Losing Moss for the season will hurt the front court.

Hoping that Houser's younger brother decides to spend two years in Newark and bank some playing time before moving on to wherever he wants.
[/quote]

[/quote]

No, that's why that is a "hope". But my sales pitch would be just that: Come to Newark, play with your brother for two years, get lots of playing time and then look at your options with no hard feelings if you decide to move on at that point (the Andrew Carr model). A win for all concerned, IMHO.
UDPat

Post by UDPat »

UDJoe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:03 am
UDPat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:06 am
UDJoe wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 7:48 am A couple of observations: The most encouraging thing at this point is that this group plays decent defense and that will go a long ways toward having a good year. Obviously, there are multiple options for scoring points, but every team has some bad shooting games. The defense can compensate for that.

No, that's why that is a "hope". But my sales pitch would be just that: Come to Newark, play with your brother for two years, get lots of playing time and then look at your options with no hard feelings if you decide to move on at that point (the Andrew Carr model). A win for all concerned, IMHO.
Thanks, I think he's going to be hard to get, that's why I asked. I would have been very excited to hear His commitment to UD.

Make the pitch!!!! :D
When it comes to Basketball, "I'm smarter than you and you know it"!! :twisted:
DaveB
UD Class: 1993

Post by DaveB »

I can’t recall who was interviewing him but pretty sure MI was asked that very question about recruiting, making a pitch that you can come here and use it as a springboard. The conversation was about the transfer portal and losing guys.

His answer was something like we haven’t don’t that or won’t do that.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

DaveB wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:55 am I can’t recall who was interviewing him but pretty sure MI was asked that very question about recruiting, making a pitch that you can come here and use it as a springboard. The conversation was about the transfer portal and losing guys.

I don't understand the reluctance on MI's part. He certainly has demonstrated his willingness to use the portal to bring guys here and understands that there no are guarantees that the guys he recruits out of high school will stay for more than a year (Daly, Horton) or two (Carr). In today's environment, it seems that a coach will have to re-build a roster each year and Joe's "sales pitch" would be consistent with that. Just MHO.
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

I didnt listen to the pre-game but I did see Tresolinis tweet saying Moss could possibly be done for the year. That is unfortunate for the young man and the team. I was hoping we would get away from the Ray/Davis frontcourt and allow Ray to play more of a wing but it sounds like Davs/Ray/Houser will be the rotation unless Emory can add something. It is still better than last year and the backcourt skill/depth is vastly improved despite the loss of Nelson.
Heeper

Post by Heeper »

Moss looked like he was walking with a pretty significant limp going through the handshake line at the end of the game. Based on what I saw, I am not surprised his absence could be a long one. What about Bethea, anybody have any insight into his status?
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Heeper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:23 pm Moss looked like he was walking with a pretty significant limp going through the handshake line at the end of the game. Based on what I saw, I am not surprised his absence could be a long one. What about Bethea, anybody have any insight into his status?
Hearing he could be ready for Bahamas. Reminder he avg 15 game and shot 45% from 3 the 2nd half of the season last year so another weapon to an an offense that already has many options
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

UDPat wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 8:06 am

One "positive" is that Penn St has offers out to 8 other big men who all have multiple P5 offers so Houser is likely a backup option if those others fall through.... I am more worried about the Tenple and St Joes offers. Historically we lose in a head to head recruiting battle.
mpwerrell

Post by mpwerrell »

DaveB wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:14 pm
Heeper wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 12:23 pm Moss looked like he was walking with a pretty significant limp going through the handshake line at the end of the game. Based on what I saw, I am not surprised his absence could be a long one. What about Bethea, anybody have any insight into his status?
Hearing he could be ready for Bahamas. Reminder he avg 15 game and shot 45% from 3 the 2nd half of the season last year so another weapon to an an offense that already has many options
Per Inglesby at the BHTC lunch today, he hopes to have both Reilly and Bethea for the Bahamas trip.
Moss had another surgery, thus the large brace, and won’t be available until February (maybe).
DaveB

Post by DaveB »

Watching Nova game . Nanna with zero PT. Through 3 games he has played in 2, avg 3.5 mins.

Would have been great to have that size on our bench getting some PT but I guess he is content playing at that level and riding the pine.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

mpwerrell wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:35 pm
DaveB wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 1:14 pm
Per Inglesby at the BHTC lunch today, he hopes to have both Reilly and Bethea for the Bahamas trip.
Moss had another surgery, thus the large brace, and won’t be available until February (maybe).
Jesus…it’s always something with this program. Now REALLY wishing we were able to bring in more low post depth via the transfer portal. Moss seems like a kid who simply can’t stay healthy. No room for error now. We lose any of the big 3 in Davis, Houser, or Ray for an extended period and we are in trouble. Fingers crossed they all stay healthy. Was hoping Houston Emory could give us something off the bench, but absolutely nothing through the first 4 games. He didn’t even play against Goldy-Beacom.
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

DaveB wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 9:55 am I can’t recall who was interviewing him but pretty sure MI was asked that very question about recruiting, making a pitch that you can come here and use it as a springboard. The conversation was about the transfer portal and losing guys.

Field of 68 CAA preseason media day… I remember that quote
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023