2024 recruiting for football and other sports?

Discussion of Other Blue Hen Sports and Blue Hen Athletics in General
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Athletics to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

2024 recruiting for football and other sports?

Post by tenn hen »

I realize we have a special "recruiting" thread but I believe this subject might be appropriate here. If our gohens managing directors wish to switch the placement, that's fine with me-no worries. :) I've been reading different posts in different threads on a number of subjects. It seems there are a few questions we might get assistance in clarifying about them by our experts here:

How much will holding back the expected announcement of a move to FBS as well as a facilities campaign affect our recruiting for football in 2024? My major concern is that we may miss out on players with FBS aspirations both coming out of high school. Transfers coming in or UD players thinking of leaving might be affected as well. JMU is an example of a school that just got 'er done. Sure it might affect our sports teams after this season, but they could go to other post season events instead of possibly? qualifying for ncaa participation. I think we can agree that our other teams probably do not expect to win a national championship- I understand that maybe some here will take exception to that statement, but feel it should be thrown out for discussion.

Reading up on Title9 is a challenge. There's a lot of decisions that the federal courts have come down with from their interpretation of this legislation. It's way too difficult for a non lawyer to comprehend so. Many of us were pleased to view that women's sports were to receive equal treatment that didn't discriminate against them. On the other hand, we were not pleased to find this resulted in the removal of some men's teams like wrestling and men's track, etc. I noticed that the number of scholarships do not have to be equal, but must be appropriate to the participation rates of athletes in sports. Any lawyers here to assist us?
The lack of a Wrestling Team is obviously a tremendous asset for so many reasons in assisting football players strength, agility, leverage comprehension, handling pressure, etc. The skills mentioned by me are incredibly advantageous for LINEMEN on both sides of the ball as well as linebackers. We need that program! A few of our assistant football coaches probably participated in hs and could coach the team possibly recruiting a few guys who wouldn't otherwise consider UD football. Also wrestling is a winter sport-BINGO! Hey. why not add a women' s wrestling program to even things out?
Cluck- no, not mud wrestling :lol:

How about major v minor sports v money maker FOOTBALL? I love tennis and golf as I'm sure many of you do, but many of those kids and their scholarships are going to foreign athletes who do help produce better teams. I'd rather see our American kids(no matter their ethnic backgrounds), but reality dictates otherwise.
NO- this is an not a political immigration "thing", but it might demand a bit of discussion.

food for thought while we wait for Saturday's Lafayette game. there you go- have at it
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
bluehenbillk
UD Class: 1991

Re: 2024 recruiting for football and other sports?

Post by bluehenbillk »

The chances of adding a men’s sport team are minuscule if a move to FBS would happen, cutting an existing men’s sport would be more probable.

The move to FBS football? I don’t want to rain on the parade but I think many will be disappointed this off-season when nothing happens.
UD to FBS. I never thought I’d see the day