Undetermined

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
Double G

Re: Undetermined

Post by Double G »

Cluck U wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:02 am Nonsense.

Nobody needs to “drop” anything. This is a message board…people can discuss things as they see fit as long as they don’t make personal attacks.

Conference champs = solid team? Duquesne would like to have a word. Our conference champ was so solid they got blown out 55-7 last year.

Just win as many games as possible.

The rest is just fluff.
This is 2023. College football has changed dramatically in the last couple of years I didn't suggest not talking about anyone, I suggested the comparisons are not easily made accurately based on the changes over the years.

If you don't think being the CAA champ is one of Ryan's top goals then you don't listen very well to his pressers. My referral was only to the CAA & Delaware because that is where were at now and the current team is the only team I am interested in. The NEC or SEC is not part of this discussion.
However, it's obviously no guarantee you are going to end of in Frisco if you have the trophy.

I thought the conversation was about determining what type of team we will have at the end of this season and the different viewpoints.

Of course you win as many games as possible. A kindergartener would offer the same advice.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Caribbean Hen wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 7:50 am

Nobody needs to “drop” anything. This is a message board…people can discuss things as they see fit as long as they don’t make personal attacks.

Conference champs = solid team? Duquesne would like to have a word. Our conference champ was so solid they got blown out 55-7 last year.

The rest is just fluff.
Right on Cluck

and Montana just destroyed Montana State, the team that put that 55-7 beating on the CAA conference champ last year.
Richmond, not conference champ and not autobid, romps over conference champ Davidson, then goes out and gives Sac a good game. UNH, tied at 7-1 for conference lead, edges Fordham then loses badly to Holy Cross. The Tribe, conference champs, blow out conference champ Gardner-Webb, then gets blown out 55-7. Elon, who finished ahead of us, gets blown out in their first round. Rhody, who finished ahead of us in conference, doesn’t even make the party.

Conference standings. :lol:
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

Being conference champs is definitely important to the players.
Receiving a conference ring is a tangible representation of the accomplishments of the team. Players will cherish the ring for the rest of their lives. Coaches also appreciate receiving the rings as a sign of the team accomplishment.

I suspect that it is rare that a non-conference champ wins the National title or makes it to the big game.
Gannonfan
UD Class: 1995

Post by Gannonfan »

Warrior Hen wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 am
I suspect that it is rare that a non-conference champ wins the National title or makes it to the big game.
Depends on the definition of rare. Since 2007, there have been 32 teams in the national title game. In those games, 11 of those teams have not been regular season champions of their conference. That's 34% of the teams in the big game that aren't conference champs. Is 34% "rare"? Certainly open to interpretation.
Proud Member of the Blue Hen Nation
Warrior Hen

Post by Warrior Hen »

No, over one third would not be considered rare.

Being considered conference champion means something but certainly a good run in the playoffs would be better.
Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Double G wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:02 am

The rest is just fluff.
This is 2023. College football has changed dramatically in the last couple of years I didn't suggest not talking about anyone, I suggested the comparisons are not easily made accurately based on the changes over the years.

If you don't think being the CAA champ is one of Ryan's top goals then you don't listen very well to his pressers. My referral was only to the CAA & Delaware because that is where were at now and the current team is the only team I am interested in. The NEC or SEC is not part of this discussion.
However, it's obviously no guarantee you are going to end of in Frisco if you have the trophy.

I thought the conversation was about determining what type of team we will have at the end of this season and the different viewpoints.

Of course you win as many games as possible. A kindergartener would offer the same advice.
:lol:

I didn’t say you suggested, “not talking about anyone”…where did you get that idea? At least make an effort to read.

I said, “Nobody needs to drop anything.” That was in response to this gem, by you:

“The past- The Brocks ,Roccos. Keelers Raymonds,Nelson etc. really have zero to do with the future of UD. We need to respect their accomplishments if appropriate but the different situations make comparisons useless. They need to be dropped from future discussions as examples.”

^^^^^ That was you, correct?^^^^^^

Again…no one, “NEEDS” to “DROP” anything. :lol:

As to coaches and players making a goal of winning a conference…duh. Double duh. Triple dog dare duh. And winning as many games as you can? Bring in more duhs…back up the truck. Beep, beep, beep!

Heck, Carty might as well tell the players to put away their equipment. Winning this Saturday won’t mean anything…we won’t be a solid team…no progress. 9 wins? Phooey! Didn’t win the conference championship.

New times, new rules. Move the goalposts!
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS

Cluck U

Post by Cluck U »

Gannonfan wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 10:11 am
Warrior Hen wrote: Wed Nov 22, 2023 8:41 am
Depends on the definition of rare. Since 2007, there have been 32 teams in the national title game. In those games, 11 of those teams have not been regular season champions of their conference. That's 34% of the teams in the big game that aren't conference champs. Is 34% "rare"? Certainly open to interpretation.
Love me some maths.

Certainly not rare.

Ask the Texas Rangers if they’d trade their WS ring for a conference ring. :lol:

Keep playing as long as possible. I’d trade a conference ring for a trip to Fresno.

Psssst…so would Carty and all of the players.

Win number 9. That would be a successful season in most peoples’ minds. Heck, we had someone on here that said 8 or 9 wins was the standard for Delaware football…even when we were in weak conferences with weak foes. Now, suddenly, the standards have changed because…wait…weak foes? :lol:

Fill the Tub Saturday. Enjoy playoff football in Newark with our Fighting Blue Hens and our former/present Blue Hen, Carty! The guy has already won two national FCS championships…let’s hope he gets us all another one!

udsb97
UD Class: 1997

Post by udsb97 »

I95 has a new billboard up this week and RC has a picture it on his twitter account. It's a picture of the CAA champion UD volleyball team. Someone must think it's important.

The original statement I was trying to make was that we really have limited information to accurately judge the season and immediate future of our Hens and that there would be the usuals jousting back and forth throughout the offseason.

Appears the usuals are not waiting until the final snap to start bickering.
BlueHenBobby
UD Class: 1975

Post by BlueHenBobby »

Hard to argue with the record for RC's first two years- 7 wins and 8 wins. Yes, the cupcake schedule muddies the water but I'll counter that with the fact that the coaching staff did more than a good enough job to fill the holes from last year and as a result they beat the teams they should have beaten. Had they not we could have looked terrible. On the other side the last three games should tell us we are not as good as some would think. I hate rankings, but I am fully convinced the #5 ranking we had was not even close to being deserved. Yes, the Nova loss was a huge disappointment. However I believe the Elon loss was more so. A game that was "winable" but still revealed our weaknesses. With a win against Elon the Nova loss would have been much easier to take given the loss of our #1 and #2 QB's at about halftime. We are moving forward, but slowly. For next year it is imperative that our lines improve on both sides of the ball. We need a more "durable" QB, Yes, I like both Marker and O'Connor however I remember that phrase "what is the most important ability- durability". Our defensive co-ordinator needs to be "convinced" to move on from the 3-2-6 or 3-3-5 or he needs to move on. The coaching staff needs to work the portal incessantly and productively especially for lineman and WR replacements.
As for Saturday I think it will largely depend on whoever our QB is. If it is Minicucci, hopefully he has been prepared well this week and the game plan will play to his strengths. Lafayette is no slouch. They are a good team. Their win against HC stands out to me.
As for moving up- that's up to the BOT and Administration. If they do, hopefully UD will have the right staff in place to successfully make the move.
Go Hens and Happy Thanksgiving to all.