Towson

Discussion of Blue Hen Basketall (Men's & Women's). This board is open for all to view, but you must be a registered user to post.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Basketball to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
dovetail
UD Class: 1966

Re: Towson

Post by dovetail »

They never led, just fell a bit behind and traded baskets. I don’t know what it takes to light a fire under this team.
UD '01 grad
UD Class: 2001

Post by UD '01 grad »

Hens79 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:18 pm Followed from Florida. Same old, same old. Can’t shoot and mauled on the boards. And too many home loses. Can MI hear the ticking sound?
MI home record (since 2016-17 season)

All Games: 65-39 (.625)
D1 Games Only: 55-39 (.585)
CAA Games Only: 36-28 (.562)

Overall MI is 124-112 (.525). Road/Neutral: 59-73 (.447).
Last edited by UD '01 grad on Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.
finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

finpxz1

Post by finpxz1 »

UD '01 grad wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 6:40 pm
Hens79 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:18 pm Followed from Florida. Same old, same old. Can’t shoot and mauled on the boards. And too many home loses. Can MI hear the ticking sound?
MI home record (since 2016-17 season)

All Games: 65-39 (.625)
D1 Games Only: 55-39 (.585)
CAA Games Only: 36-28 (.562)

Overall MI is 124-112 (.525). Road/Neutral: 59-73 (.447).
All-time Division I record is 114 and 112...he has 10 wins against Division 2 and 3 teams...
GVHen87
UD Class: 1987

Post by GVHen87 »

rooneyguy wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 5:40 pm
bluehens2005 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:40 pm
allteamball wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 4:21 pm I swear, EVERY time we have a decent crowd we lose. NOT the way you bring more fans into the program. Disappointing.
Absolutely! Same old song and dance …. You don’t need to be frantic, but I just don’t ever see any energy or fire coming out of MI on the sidelines.
I think MI did a good job of coaching, given how the game played out, against a bigger, stronger team. His best player had four fouls on him and was sitting on the bench during a crucial period of time in the second half. IMHO, MI used his time outs wisely to set up plays and/or defense. After that, players have to execute, make foul shots, etc.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. TSU lost one of their best big, strong player with 13 minutes to go due to a second technical foul. And MI is and always has been horrible at calling time outs. Today epitomized that. He took his first TO in the 2nd half just below the eight minute mark. Yes TSU did score a bucket to make it a nine point game so that time out wasn't horrible, but it was ill-advised. The next stoppage of play would have resulted in a media time out. And it wasn't as if TSU was on a run - it was their first points in almost three mintues.

Calling the next TO was simply reprehensible. UD whittles the score to 6 on a Davis layup and, after that bucket, MI burns the preciouos second TO with over five minutes to play. Not only does it kill any momentum UD may have had at that point and take the crowd out of the game, but it gave TSU an opportunity to set up a play. Sure enough - on the ensuing possession they drained a three on what appeared to be a play call by TSU.

The last TO may have been warranted had it been the first one called of the 2nd half, but it was burned at about the 2:20 mark leaving UD with no TOs down the stretch. UD pulls within four points soon after, but TSU gets the lead back up to 6 and then 7 with about a minute and a half to play. TSU is ranked something like 340 out of 350 D1 teams in free throw shooting, but yet UD doesn't foul until about 15 seconds to go when the game is done. Sheer lunacy! Would a TO have helped set the D and have them set up to foul the optimal player. HECK YES! MI has showed that he has learned nothing in his long tenure regarding clock and game managment. Why didn't they foul TSU?

As an aside - MI always has to burn his one TO in the first half no matter what the score or situation. At best, it is mildly annoying. However, it can and has backfired on MI - I have seen the lack of that one TO hurt when a play could have been called during a TO to set up a play in the the closing seconds. Good coaches don't feel the need to always burn that one "use or lose" TO. Jay Wright hardley ever did unless the situation dictated it - to set up a play or D, etc.

Sorry for the long rant but the quote above really triggered me!
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

GVHen87 wrote: Sat Jan 27, 2024 11:39 pm

Absolutely! Same old song and dance …. You don’t need to be frantic, but I just don’t ever see any energy or fire coming out of MI on the sidelines.
I think MI did a good job of coaching, given how the game played out, against a bigger, stronger team. His best player had four fouls on him and was sitting on the bench during a crucial period of time in the second half. IMHO, MI used his time outs wisely to set up plays and/or defense. After that, players have to execute, make foul shots, etc.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. TSU lost one of their best big, strong player with 13 minutes to go due to a second technical foul. And MI is and always has been horrible at calling time outs. Today epitomized that. He took his first TO in the 2nd half just below the eight minute mark. Yes TSU did score a bucket to make it a nine point game so that time out wasn't horrible, but it was ill-advised. The next stoppage of play would have resulted in a media time out. And it wasn't as if TSU was on a run - it was their first points in almost three mintues.

Calling the next TO was simply reprehensible. UD whittles the score to 6 on a Davis layup and, after that bucket, MI burns the preciouos second TO with over five minutes to play. Not only does it kill any momentum UD may have had at that point and take the crowd out of the game, but it gave TSU an opportunity to set up a play. Sure enough - on the ensuing possession they drained a three on what appeared to be a play call by TSU.

The last TO may have been warranted had it been the first one called of the 2nd half, but it was burned at about the 2:20 mark leaving UD with no TOs down the stretch. UD pulls within four points soon after, but TSU gets the lead back up to 6 and then 7 with about a minute and a half to play. TSU is ranked something like 340 out of 350 D1 teams in free throw shooting, but yet UD doesn't foul until about 15 seconds to go when the game is done. Sheer lunacy! Would a TO have helped set the D and have them set up to foul the optimal player. HECK YES! MI has showed that he has learned nothing in his long tenure regarding clock and game managment. Why didn't they foul TSU?

As an aside - MI always has to burn his one TO in the first half no matter what the score or situation. At best, it is mildly annoying. However, it can and has backfired on MI - I have seen the lack of that one TO hurt when a play could have been called during a TO to set up a play in the the closing seconds. Good coaches don't feel the need to always burn that one "use or lose" TO. Jay Wright hardley ever did unless the situation dictated it - to set up a play or D, etc.

I wasn’t at the game but listened to much of it. And yes, the TO’s were strange.

But the comment didn’t trigger me. I just chuckled. It is just more of the same from the folks who bend over backwards to make excuses for MI. I mean, who’s fault is it that Towson and even lowly Stony Brook, and really much of CAA is a “bigger, stronger team”? And unfortunately, “bigger and stronger” isn’t the only thing this team is lacking. Like I said. Same old, same old all the way around.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

caught the last few minutes of the Lehigh game that preceded ours. Congratulated my bro(L grad). He and I texted during our game. He wasn't impressed with our club and wanted to know if we had an injury with a big.

BTW- I want to give a shout out to our bench's support during the games, esp Emory. that's a good sign of team chemistry.

Is Moss gonna remain next season and how is Bethea who I thought might be back for this game?

AO men's final replay starting now! happy no Djokovic today. Medvedev's got a unique style and approach to the game. For a Russian, he is a free spirit!
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Ok, we can respectfully disagree about the coaching decisions MI made yesterday (although I stand by my earlier comments) but ignoring the missed free throws at crucial times and turnovers (14) on the part of the players is not a balanced evaluation of what we witnessed. That's all.
rooneyguy
UD Class: 1988

Post by rooneyguy »

Hens79 wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 7:49 am

I wasn’t at the game but listened to much of it. And yes, the TO’s were strange.

But the comment didn’t trigger me. I just chuckled. It is just more of the same from the folks who bend over backwards to make excuses for MI. I mean, who’s fault is it that Towson and even lowly Stony Brook, and really much of CAA is a “bigger, stronger team”? And unfortunately, “bigger and stronger” isn’t the only thing this team is lacking. Like I said. Same old, same old all the way around.
You complaining about other postings as "same old, same old" is about as ironic as it can get. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :lol: :lol:
LifetimeHensFan
UD Class: 2015

Post by LifetimeHensFan »

Trying to watch the women now and my Flo may be bugging out, there is a voice overlay behind the broadcast voices, is this a problem for anyone else??
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

LifetimeHensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:08 pm Trying to watch the women now and my Flo may be bugging out, there is a voice overlay behind the broadcast voices, is this a problem for anyone else??
I'm watching on NBCSports Philadelphia, Xfinity #847
#JUST WIN
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

LifetimeHensFan wrote: Sun Jan 28, 2024 2:08 pm Trying to watch the women now and my Flo may be bugging out, there is a voice overlay behind the broadcast voices, is this a problem for anyone else??
I often hear confusing, overlapping voices, too.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Brookside kid hen
UD Class: 1987

Post by Brookside kid hen »

We shot terribly, we turned the ball over a lot, and other than Ray(11 boards) we got beat like a drum on the boards. Aren't going to beat any good teams like that period.
Bluewyn Gold

Post by Bluewyn Gold »

Nothing Martin’s done inspires confidence that he’s the guy to lead this program to wins in CUSA. The clock is ticking on his tenure in Newark, like it or not.