News on Conference Membership?

Discussion of Men's & Women's Lacrosse.
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Lacrosse to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

News on Conference Membership?

Post by 77HEN »

Any news or rumors on a conference for the lacrosse team? Should we expect anything or it will it necessarily come after the season? I imagine the team could continue with the CAA but I hope not - it’s too sporadic weak and has never gotten much respect at playoff selection time. Maybe the Hens can join the Big 10 as an associate member like Hopkins? Or how about the Big East to make 12 with two six team divisions?
BlueHenBill

Re: News on Conference Membership?

Post by BlueHenBill »

77HEN wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:29 pm Any news or rumors on a conference for the lacrosse team? Should we expect anything or it will it necessarily come after the season? I imagine the team could continue with the CAA but I hope not - it’s too sporadic weak and has never gotten much respect at playoff selection time. Maybe the Hens can join the Big 10 as an associate member like Hopkins? Or how about the Big East to make 12 with two six team divisions?
I believe that the CAA has already indicated that they will not accept UD as an associate member in any sport.
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

77HEN wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2024 4:29 pm Any news or rumors on a conference for the lacrosse team? Should we expect anything or it will it necessarily come after the season? I imagine the team could continue with the CAA but I hope not - it’s too sporadic weak and has never gotten much respect at playoff selection time. Maybe the Hens can join the Big 10 as an associate member like Hopkins? Or how about the Big East to make 12 with two six team divisions?
Big East MLAX is only 6 teams but I like the thought. As long as we’re reaching here how about the ACC? They only have 5 teams with whom we have been competitive in recent years. I don’t know if the ACC has ever had an Associate member, except of course Notre Dame in football.
77HEN
UD Class: 1981

Post by 77HEN »

dchen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 pm
Big East MLAX is only 6 teams but I like the thought. As long as we’re reaching here how about the ACC? They only have 5 teams with whom we have been competitive in recent years. I don’t know if the ACC has ever had an Associate member, except of course Notre Dame in football.
Thanks for the correction, got confused looking at their site and all the members for all sports. I thought of the ACC afterwards, of course that and the Big are pipe dreams. In addition to the Big East, the A10 could be a home, though. Perhaps even the Patriot League. Lafayette wasn’t much opposition yesterday but with Army, Navy, Loyola (MD) and BU ………..
Sally in RI
UD Class: 1974

Post by Sally in RI »

77HEN wrote: Sun Feb 11, 2024 10:16 am
dchen wrote: Sat Feb 10, 2024 8:53 pm
Thanks for the correction, got confused looking at their site and all the members for all sports. I thought of the ACC afterwards, of course that and the Big are pipe dreams. In addition to the Big East, the A10 could be a home, though. Perhaps even the Patriot League. Lafayette wasn’t much opposition yesterday but with Army, Navy, Loyola (MD) and BU ………..
Please keep field hockey and women's lacrosse in mind when you are speculating. Both teams have fine coaches and great futures. WLAX had a nice opening win over Lehigh, 11-7.

Sally in RI
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

UMass is leaving the A10 to join the MAC for all sports that the MAC sponsors. The MAC does not sponsor MLAX. Will the A 10 allow UMass to remain as an associate member? If not, the A10 will drop to 5 members and lose its NCAA AQ. Of the current 6 members, High Point and Hobart are associate members