UMass to the MAC

Respectful and civil discussion of Delaware Football
Forum rules
1. Be respectful of our online community and contribute to an engaging conversation. We reserve the right to ban impersonators and remove comments that contain personal attacks, threats, or profanity, or are flat-out offensive.
2. Stay on topic. If you feel you really have something to add that doesn’t quite fit the current topic, start a new one.
3. Keep rebuttals and disagreements impersonal. You can disagree with someone respectfully without resorting to name-calling or other insults.
4. Do not single out players for criticism by name, number or position. These are 18-23 year-old kids that are trying their best while juggling a college class load. Let’s be supportive.
5. Remember always that players read these boards; players’ families read these boards; respective recruits read these boards; opposing fans read these boards. As a GoHens.net member, YOU represent Delaware Football to others. Please do so in a positive manner.
bluehens2005
UD Class: 2005

Re: UMass to the MAC

Post by bluehens2005 »

tomdawg00022 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 5:06 pm
bluehens2005 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:17 pm
77HEN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm IMO, it’s unfathomable that UMass could be joining the MAC now and that UD never knew there was a good probability of that happening - there was (is) no blindsiding . These are two separate issues that did not happen separately in a vacuum. Is it possible that UD joining CUSA was a trigger for WKU or MTSU to consider the MAC? Are we to them what Hampton, Campbell and NC A&T were to us?
Brutal. We can’t be that unappealing…. But maybe so dang shame if so
Western Kentucky's wanted out of Conference USA for a number of years. We weren't the tipping point but UMass deciding Conference USA wasn't where it wanted to end up and the MAC needing a team to even out the ranks *may* be.
Tough….still think we need go Try to get an eastern partner in this for CUSA Smelling more like a desperation move more and more
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

Nothing, absolutely nothing will make some of you happy :roll:

Lots of assumptions (most flawed) and opinions. That and $5 will get you into Starbucks.
Cluck U
UD Class: 0

Post by Cluck U »

Sheesh, folks.

We are IN. <——— THAT is the first step.

Take a look at next year’s schedule. Like it? :oops:

Now, just imagine if we didn’t move up…we would be seeing that slop every freaking year.

Damn, folks…we are playing Colorado AND Wake Forest AND UConn in 2025. We have a chance to go to a Bowl game, and my bet is that a lot more Delaware fans go to the away games in those ^^^^^ places (and also the Bowl games) than an FCS playoff game located in Jabbip after six flight connections to some state that is under a freeze warning in August.

Lighten up…and get yourself a Philly Special beer in Delaware stadium (the stuff is pretty good).

Light rain tomorrow…Michigan is coming to town. Showdown at high noon. Hope some folks come down and see our D1 men’s lacrosse team. Looks like our last chance to win the CAA chipper this year, so might as well enjoy the ride before we find out where our non-CUSA teams land.
Tubby: 3 national titles, one won on the field, all D2
Keeler: 3 national titles, all won on the field, one as a player, two as a coach, 1 D2, 2 FCS
Carty: 2 on-field national titles, one as a player, one as an OC, both FCS

Carty - get an FBS bowl win!
Info Hound

Post by Info Hound »

We finally got a "seat at the table". The already announced OOC games are fantastic. CUSA will change, just as the CAA has changed. The CAA changes have all been POOR.

I certainly would prefer that WKU and MTSU remain, as plans are already being considered for Nashville as the add-on attraction for those games. Along with, the Corvette assembly plant, Corvette museum, Mammoth Cave, bourbon tours, etc.

FIU in late November in Miami. Touring New Mexico. Getting a first hand look at the action in El Paso. Isn't UTEP where the Sun Bowl is played? We could have played in that game in 1955, except UD prez, John Perkins, didn't want us to be known as a "bowl school".

Oh my, how things have changed for the better.

edit. Forgot to mention the drama of a SHSU game. Also, Huntsville is going to be a great location for the Basketball tourney. Already looking into those attractions, as well.
#JUST WIN
UDHoops
UD Class: 2023

Post by UDHoops »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 pm We finally got a "seat at the table". The already announced OOC games are fantastic. CUSA will change, just as the CAA has changed. The CAA changes have all been POOR.

I certainly would prefer that WKU and MTSU remain, as plans are already being considered for Nashville as the add-on attraction for those games. Along with, the Corvette assembly plant, Corvette museum, Mammoth Cave, bourbon tours, etc.

FIU in late November in Miami. Touring New Mexico. Getting a first hand look at the action in El Paso. Isn't UTEP where the Sun Bowl is played? We could have played in that game in 1955, except UD prez, John Perkins, didn't want us to be known as a "bowl school".

edit. Forgot to mention the drama of a SHSU game. Also, Huntsville is going to be a great location for the Basketball tourney. Already looking into those attractions, as well.
+1

I just like my personal 30 minute drive to the Entertainment and Sports Arena next week a lot better :)

Can't wait for a trip to Huntsville in 2026.
Twitter: @SSN_BlueHens
Feathers and Field Goals Podcast: https://feathersandfieldgoals.podbean.com/
Class of 2023
dchen
UD Class: 1972

Post by dchen »

Info Hound wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 9:22 pm We finally got a "seat at the table". The already announced OOC games are fantastic. CUSA will change, just as the CAA has changed. The CAA changes have all been POOR.

…….
That’s funny. Harvard had a long time coach named Joe Restig. His son decided not to play at Harvard. When asked why he said that he didn’t want to play at a football school. He played at Notre Dame instead.
jd of de

Post by jd of de »

This

Atlanta-El Paso-Huntsville-Houston-Miami-Nashville
Lots to see and do and regional foods to eat!

And lots of opposing fans to meet; 90% of the time, great experiences.

As a native midwesterner, I’ve been to DeKalb, Bowling Green, Akron and Mt Pleasant to name a few. I like these travel options to support the Hens a lot better.
Hens79
UD Class: 0

Post by Hens79 »

No what matter happens to CUSA and FBS, it will be way, way, way, better than the CAA and FCS.

That is and will be the bottom line in a continually changing college football environment.

But at the same time, it is okay and quite natural to kinda go WTF happened? With no UMass and WKU and even MTSU leaving, CUSA will be less than what it was when UD joined just a few months ago and also less than what it could have been with UMass. And that’s unfortunate. It just is. No amount of “some will never be happy” will change that. But unfortunate is still way, way, way better than what the CAA and FCS has become.

Oh well, I am sure I won’t be thinking about it sitting in my seat at the game in Boulder and touring Rocky Mountain National Park during my week or so vacation out west.
tenn hen
UD Class: 1967

Post by tenn hen »

hey 79- whatever- we're out of CAA football. If CUSA declines in membership, we MIGHT add a few GOOD teams with known programs. If not and the league is small, then we might get to a bowl game :wink: as well as be able to schedule a few fun OOC games. Sounds OK for lots of our teams to utilize. CR can score some major coups for exposure.
Keep the faith kick butt go Hens
DCHen97 2.0
UD Class: 1997

Post by DCHen97 2.0 »

Would going to 16 make the MAC stronger than being at 14? If 16 is the goal, maybe UD and MTSU fill those? I can’t recall why MTSU said no to them a few years ago.

But winning CUSA and getting a nice bowl or playoff bid would be great too
UDEL Fear the Bird

Post by UDEL Fear the Bird »

I think that long term CUSA will be better to be in than the MAC. The MAC is stable but stagnant. No full MAC members have left the conference since 2005 because the MAC members are not getting invited to more prestigious conferences. At least in CUSA there are a good amount of schools that desire to improve their situation which should result in a more competitive conference. Also, being in a conference that is southern oriented is better than being in a Rust Belt conference due to changing demographics. I also do not see a ton of realignment coming any time soon. It is unlikely that Florida State and Clemson can get out of the ACC contract and the SEC & Big10 already raided all the schools they wanted from the Big12 and Pac12. Happy to be in CUSA and enjoy the ride going forward. Who knows, maybe the Sun Belt or AAC might be calling someday too.
Henny
UD Class: 1985

Post by Henny »

The MAC is the Hotel California of college football conferences and maybe for several reasons wasn’t a good fit for UD. UD sees its peers as the FBS schools in the east, so it’s CUSA for now and stay tuned!
Proud to be a F*king Blue Hen :D
topstraight
UD Class: 1909

Post by topstraight »

Miami (Oh) Yeah ! wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 4:58 pm
bluehens2005 wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:17 pm
77HEN wrote: Fri Mar 01, 2024 3:15 pm IMO, it’s unfathomable that UMass could be joining the MAC now and that UD never knew there was a good probability of that happening - there was (is) no blindsiding . These are two separate issues that did not happen separately in a vacuum. Is it possible that UD joining CUSA was a trigger for WKU or MTSU to consider the MAC? Are we to them what Hampton, Campbell and NC A&T were to us?
Brutal. We can’t be that unappealing…. But maybe so dang shame if so
Nah. I think its more likely that UD was talking to the MAC along with UMass but so was WKU and the MAC wants WKU (or maybe UConn football only with some basketball games thrown in out of conference) and so WKU game the wink and nod and MAC told Delaware "not now". It was then that UD took CUSA up on their offer as the last FBS option available. From here UMass announced and the MAC is waiting on WKU now.

This almost happened in 2021 with WKU and MTSU but MTSU balked last minute and WKU still wanted in but the MAC didn't want an odd number and UMass wasn't ready to leave the A10 three years ago.
Please take note this is from a "MAC" poster.
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

UDEL Fear the Bird wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 4:57 pm I think that long term CUSA will be better to be in than the MAC. The MAC is stable but stagnant. No full MAC members have left the conference since 2005 because the MAC members are not getting invited to more prestigious conferences. At least in CUSA there are a good amount of schools that desire to improve their situation which should result in a more competitive conference. Also, being in a conference that is southern oriented is better than being in a Rust Belt conference due to changing demographics. I also do not see a ton of realignment coming any time soon. It is unlikely that Florida State and Clemson can get out of the ACC contract and the SEC & Big10 already raided all the schools they wanted from the Big12 and Pac12. Happy to be in CUSA and enjoy the ride going forward. Who knows, maybe the Sun Belt or AAC might be calling someday too.
AGREED!

Additionally--with the new CFP going to Fourteen--the ACC will have two "auto-bids" to pacify FSU (in addition to the ACC changing it's revenue distribution to more performance based).
topstraight

Post by topstraight »

Henny wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2024 8:39 pm The MAC is the Hotel California of college football conferences and maybe for several reasons wasn’t a good fit for UD. UD sees its peers as the FBS schools in the east, so it’s CUSA for now and stay tuned!
You are right, Henny!